BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

“O Brien, Brierley and Markanday going on loan. Didn’t get a forward.”

Thats just landed… I’m going to bed. 

Worth staying up for 😂 don't know why I fall for it 

Fuming at no striker..having to rely on Gallagher and Vale is utterly pathetic if we are truly honest here, especially bizzare loaning markandy out when he's looked dangerous 

• Like 4

• Backroom

O'Brien seems a bit pointless as a loan if we don't sign a decent striker? I mean, very good player for this level, but what's the point if Vale and Gallagher are up top. Feels like we might as well not have bothered and saved whatever money is being spent on wages. 

Still, Venky's can rest assured that potential £10m isn't going out. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, J*B said:

“O Brien, Brierley and Markanday going on loan. Didn’t get a forward.”

Thats just landed… I’m going to bed. 

Hmm yeh that wouldn't be a good enough window I'm afraid. O'Brien is a cracking addition for a promotion push. Thomas could also provide good ammunition to the right man up top. But without that right man up top, the jigsaw is seriously incomplete. We can make all the excuses we like, and debate whether it's Venkys or GB's fault, but nobody is convincing me there isn't a single striker out there, who could improve our starting XI, that the club (as an overall entity, owners included) could have signed if it had enough ambition to really act on this position we find ourselves in. And two Jan windows running too, would be a real piss take.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

No striker makes it a failure.

100%  no matter how people dress this up with oh but O'Brien is the best CM in the league etc  we have 2 ineffective awful strikers in Vale and Gallagher... and we are loaning out markandy who's always looked dangerous ..and bringing in a 19yo midfielder from Rochdale..make it make sense 

• Like 3

So now it's almost official, that we lose 2 1st team forwards, without replacement. 

Surely we wouldn't have let Markanday go without having a guaranteed forward to come in. 

Vale really doesn't compare to, for example, Undav. Or BBD, or possibly even (!) Gally....

It's a shocking prospect that the only central striker between now and May could be Vale, and occasionally Gally. 

We seem obsessed with ensuring the fans' expectations are managed down, down, down....

2 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Markanday to JDT is what Nyambe was in the early days to Tony... 

Felt he's been a real option, but feels like JDT blind spot? 

I watched Markanday a few times for the u21s. The only player worse than him was Hirst. take from that what you will. 

• Like 2

We are all discussing Vale and Gally as our only remaining front 2, but we have to accept that our former top striker BBD will hang around for a few weeks, and assuming O'Brien hits the ground running, there will be more ammunition for BBD to at least exhaustedly get on the end of, before he actually hits the beach.

If we play BBD up front, and Thomas and O'Brien, we will have a chance.

Is that blind optimism??

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe he's going to be an absolute class act, I've no idea, but this seems a strange one on the face of it. Surely the only position (along with central defence) where we really don't need to sign any new young players in the 19-year old kind of bracket. Wharton and Garrett coming through, Buckley and Travis have shown (well, mostly) that they can handle this level, two loanees who will regularly take up the two spots there for the rest of the season, and even other senior players who can fill in there (Edun, JRC, Mola, Dack if needs must). Where's the pathway for him? The two mostly playing there for the rest of the season will be gone in the summer, but still...surely at that point we'd want a senior player bringing in for reliability.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

I watched Markanday a few times for the u21s. The only player worse than him was Hirst. take from that what you will. 

And I've watched him ghost past Championship players in the cup games.

I can see why JDT is reluctant to play him - he's tiny and doesn't track back - but he has something going forward. Ah well, let's hope it's a good loan deal for him and re-assess in the summer.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Maybe he's going to be an absolute class act, I've no idea, but this seems a strange one on the face of it. Surely the only position (along with central defence) where we really don't need to sign any new young players in the 19-year old kind of bracket. Wharton and Garrett coming through, Buckley and Travis have shown (well, mostly) that they can handle this level, two loanees who will regularly take up the two spots there for the rest of the season, and even other senior players who can fill in there (Edun, JRC, Mola, Dack if needs must). Where's the pathway for him? The two mostly playing there for the rest of the season will be gone in the summer, but still...surely at that point we'd want a senior player bringing in for reliability.

Buy, develop, sell?

Or give away

10 minutes ago, pick32 said:

I’d be pissed of if I was JDT, Brierley surely isn’t even worth an announcement, maybe a footnote on the website, have better young midfielders already at the club pointless

We don't know our young midfielders are better (unless you frequent Rochdale matches), but we do know we have more young talent in that position than young talent anywhere else.