BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Are gates not similar (or better) to the many years we spent in the 2nd/3rd division, before the 90's?

We had the obvious boost to attendances in the 90's with success and Premier League football, but a return to the Championship seems to have seen the fair-weather fans disappear and leave us with the core support that we've always had?

Everybody’s gates were poorer then. Football has moved on and attendances are currently booming across the game.

However, we are fairly unique in going back to those 80s figures, whereas pretty much all our competitors are now seeing substantially higher crowds than where they were in the 80s.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Are gates not similar (or better) to the many years we spent in the 2nd/3rd division, before the 90's?

We had the obvious boost to attendances in the 90's with success and Premier League football, but a return to the Championship seems to have seen the fair-weather fans disappear and leave us with the core support that we've always had?

You can argue this and there is some truth and correlation with our core 80’s support but the game has moved on and virtually all clubs, in the modern era, appear to have significantly increased average crowds. Given that we won the EPL and spent many years in the top flight and that we were well on our way to being a club with national support, our decline has been pretty spectacular.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if the indians had`nt appeared we`de still be getting crowds of 16/17 thousand in the championship with 20 thousand plus for big matches,you underestimate how many fans have walked away because of venkys

I'm not sure on this.

Look at our average attendances over the 70's and 80's (even early 90's) and they're lower than what we get now?

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 21.04.45.pngIf these numbers are indicative of our core support base and you take the 'glory hunting' element from the Prem years out of the equation, you could argue that we're currently seeing what is our average attendance.

You would expect an additional 5k-10k per home game if we ever did make it back to the promised land.

Edited by Andy

1 minute ago, garnersfags said:

This, and every other possible question, should have been dealt with by 5pm on deadline day, on the off chance this type of last minute deal landed....

Absolutely. Shouldn't be scratching around at the eleventh hour risking a last minute disaster

I'm despairing somewhat tonight actually, as not only do many posters not seem to think it's a problem  we neverdo our business early, it seems that some think we shouldn't even expect those employed by the Club to be conversant with, or follow EFL regulations correctly!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'm not sure on this.

Look at our average attendances over the 70's and 80's (even early 90's) and they're lower than what we get now?

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 21.04.45.png

Not sure I get your point. Of course they were lower then, football was in the doldrums.

However, the fact we aren’t a million miles from those figures now as the game booms says it all.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

According to the website www.footballwebpages.co.uk average attendance for this season is 14,225 compared with 13,478 last season. This might not suit the agenda of those who enjoy talking the club down but there you go.

We currently have c800 more STs than what we finished last season with, so correlates.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I'm not sure on this.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 21.04.45.png

the game was remarkably different then,even man utd,arsenal  and liverpool were getting sub 30000 gates,the chances of getting your head kicked in and standing on an open freezing terrace put a lot of people off!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure I get your point. Of course they were lower then, football was in the doldrums.

My point is that we have a core support; it's about 10k-15k fans.

We got less in the 70's and 80's for the reasons you state.

They peaked in the 90's, with the benefit of Prem football, but it would seem that we're back to our 'normal' core support.

And, again, a further c5k-15k per home game would reappear if we did make the Prem again.

I don't know why we would expect to get much more than 15k in this division, based on the numbers?

Just now, Andy said:

They peaked in the 90's, with the benefit of Prem football, but it would seem that we're back to our 'normal' core support.

And, again, a further c5k-15k per home game would reappear if we did make the Prem again.

I don't know why we would expect to get much more than 15k in this division, based on the numbers?

But that isn’t ‘normal’ anymore as most clubs are currently miles up from the kind of gates they had in the mid 80s.

• Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

But that isn’t ‘normal’ anymore as most clubs are currently miles up from the kind of gates they had in the mid 80s.

As are we; those stats show we were getting 6k-9k on average for home games.

We now get 12k-15k.

Anyway, roll on O'Brien being announced tomorrow.

I'm not sure on this.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 21.04.45.pngIf these numbers are indicative of our core support base and you take the 'glory hunting' element from the Prem years out of the equation, you could argue that we're currently seeing what is our average attendance.

You would expect an additional 5k-10k per home game if we ever did make it back to the promised land.

Interesting, it's when I started to go late 70's. Far less away fans turned up. We were a great town club, hard core. We were not really pressing for promotion till Bury. After JW, things took off. It grew just as he wanted it. He built the current stadium. Loons destroyed it all.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely. Shouldn't be scratching around at the eleventh hour risking a last minute disaster

I'm despairing somewhat tonight actually, as not only do many posters not seem to think it's a problem  we neverdo our business early, it seems that some think we shouldn't even expect those employed by the Club to be conversant with, or follow EFL regulations correctly!

Despair no longer ! Our Under 21s have beaten Celtic 3-1 tonight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

I remember the 05/06 season when we struggled to get over 20k attendances most weeks and that was with a team that finished 6th in the PL. Think we only got 16k for Fulham on the opening day. 

Just now, glen9mullan said:

If and its a big if, these deals don't happen due to further incompetence within the board room, then sack the board needs to start ringing loud and clear.

Thats potentially a £200 million pound fuck up, if we do not go up or at least maintain our current position.

its unforgiveable to be honest.

Its not the first time our mismanagement has cost us players.

Football is a multi billion pound industry and if we cannot do the basics which the other 91 clubs can, then its time to call it a day

What sort of board do you think Venkys would appoint to replace the present members ?

What sort of board do you think Venkys would appoint to replace the present members ?

We've already had one public court case with Shaw over incompetence. 

They wouldn't think twice about making it two public cases

Have another read of this.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/misery-at-blackburn-rovers-leaked-documents-reveal-harrowing-details-of-the-indian-rule-at-riverside

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 2

Despair no longer ! Our Under 21s have beaten Celtic 3-1 tonight.

You do know Celtic put out an under-12 team? 

Good try again at trying to divert attention away from the latest cockup by the bunglers running our club 

Any relevant thoughts? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'm not sure on this.

So much wrong with this but let’s start with:

1) Compare averages of other clubs to that era and all increase not remain flat. Live football and attendances were so different then.

2) What’s the town and suburb population like versus those years? Has it remained flat? (No is the answer)

3) Surely having the ‘Glory Support’ years gives us massive advantage now versus the 70s / 80s. We had a decent period of 20k home fans year on year which we could bounce off but instead have lost through the inept running of the club. 

4) Away fans weren’t as big in those years so take those thousands off

Honestly, i’m convinced you and mashed potato brain would fluff the pillows if you caught Greg/Waggot in bed with your missus 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 7

As are we; those stats show we were getting 6k-9k on average for home games.

We now get 12k-15k.

Anyway, roll on O'Brien being announced tomorrow.

The actual ‘home crowd’ is only a little up from the 80s, remember much smaller away followings back then. That is certainly not the case across the divisions.

Odd that you would look to defend the collapse of our crowds under the watch of these owners and shrug your shoulders with ‘well, look at the 80s’ as crowds boom across England.

• Like 1