BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 hours ago, den said:

Rovers had all of January to sort out loans. There has to be a deadline that applies to all clubs and the league will be obliged to apply that strictly to every club otherwise the lawyers will be at them. I don’t think Rovers failings here have anything to do with the rules.

Like I said, I’m not excusing the failings that Rovers have obviously made here - and I agree that rules have to be the same for everyone 

But, I still think that the application of the rules is overly pedantic. If the 7 seconds late quoted above is correct (and I have no idea if it is or not, but the case file on the EFL website of arbitration between themselves and WBA is a similar case where the deadline was missed by 15 seconds) then logic dictates that the agreement must have been signed before the deadline, and probably even sent before the deadline, just received seconds too late, and I’m just not sure what the EFL gains by being so hard & fast on the deadline - or to put it another way, what real advantage has the club in question (Rovers in this case, but WBA previously and who knows how many others) gained from those few seconds?

Imo, a better way would be that all documents, agreements etc have to be signed prior to the 11pm deadline (with proof being a time-stamped photo or something similar) and then submitted within 24 hours - I’m fairly certain that the staff at the EFL and Premier League etc, who have to ratify these deals would much prefer a more calm & leisurely submission process too

1 minute ago, Gav said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11676/10261490/paul-lambert-admits-he-is-frustrated-to-be-leaving-blackburn

That information came from Paul Lambert himself, him walking actually had a negative impact on his career, but the money promised to rebuild the club during the interview process was a fib, that is why he resigned.

All to familiar under these owners I'm afraid..

The money to pay O'Brien could also be a fib. Perhaps the man targeted with balancing the books and setting the season ticket prices, knew his bonus was up the tubes, it it did really happen, so made sure something was amiss. It has happened before under these owners with Agnew and Shaw, hiding things, so would not be a huge leap of faith.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1874 said:

Could he sue the EFL for restriction of trade, Bosman like

The EFL are enforcing their rules so not likely. Rovers had negotiated terms on a £10m potential move etc so now that offer is worthless due to their incompetence. This is what I'd be looking at very carefully.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's extremely commonplace. There's an unwritten but very well followed social rule in football where clubs are expected to have a senior presence in the away directors box. In the absence of owners in our case, it falls to someone of his standing to take their place.

As others have said , I’m sure we could have used someone else on a night where you know, we are busy trying to get deals over the line. My priority on Tuesday wasn’t on the game it was watching the transfer window so his should’ve been too. Not really arsed about fighting it out for the honour of getting pumped off Leicester. Priority should be staying in the playoffs and giving us a chance 

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

As others have said , I’m sure we could have used someone else on a night where you know, we are busy trying to get deals over the line. My priority on Tuesday wasn’t on the game it was watching the transfer window so his should’ve been too. Not really arsed about fighting it out for the honour of getting pumped off Leicester. Priority should be staying in the playoffs and giving us a chance 

Getting pumped off Leicester makes the club over £300k and making sure the O'Brien deal doesn't happen saves £65k per week, so a fruitful night all round for someone. If you call it 20 weeks wages plus the cup time money I reckon around £1.6 million better off than we otherwise would be.

If your only priority is the immediate bottom line a good nights work, for the man with an extremely busy in box. 

• Like 2

Just now, lraC said:

Getting pumped off Leicester makes the club over £300k and making sure the O'Brien deal doesn't happen saves £65k per week, so a fruitful night all round for someone. If you call it 20 weeks wages plus the cup time money I reckon around £1.6 million better off than we otherwise would be.

If your only priority is the immediate bottom line a good nights work, for the man with an extremely busy in box. 

Not such a fruitful night of PR. Waggott has freely exposed what a charlatan he is to 99.9% of the fan base, and the rest of football.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The EFL are enforcing their rules so not likely. Rovers had negotiated terms on a £10m potential move etc so now that offer is worthless due to their incompetence. This is what I'd be looking at very carefully.

I’ve no idea on the legal implications but as I mentioned earlier I’m not sure having clubs needing to submit their squad lists prior to the deadline for transfer appeals is a great idea.

From a restriction of trade point of view,  that’s what I’d be looking at.

Edited by wilsdenrover
Wording change
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

What are you on about?  He has a contract with forest, they pay him🤷‍♂️

O'Brien is clearly surplus to requirements at Forest, so the next six months would have been about putting himself in the shop window to kick on. Assuming the appeal to the EFL is rejected, then clubs in summer aren't going to be as amenable to a potentially higher contract because he's not going to be playing at senior level.

Just a thought that this might not end here with a rejected appeal for Rovers. We might be on the receiving end of a lawsuit or two. Yet more costs to the club while Waggott penny-pinches from supporters.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, goozburger said:

O'Brien is clearly surplus to requirements at Forest, so the next six months would have been about putting himself in the shop window to kick on. Assuming the appeal to the EFL is rejected, then clubs in summer aren't going to be as amenable to a potentially higher contract because he's not going to be playing at senior level.

Just a thought that this might not end here with a rejected appeal for Rovers. We might be on the receiving end of a lawsuit or two. Yet more costs to the club while Waggott penny-pinches from supporters.

I don't think we will.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Have we established where Broughton was on deadline day yet? Doesn’t look the most culpable on the face of it but that side of the business still falls under his remit does it not?

“I’d rather be clear, I’ll give lots of information before a window, I’ll have open and honest conversations after the window, but during the window we’re doing our business and supporters will learn to put some faith and trust in us.

“Should that faith and trust come when they don’t know how we work? No. That has to be earned.

“The only way to do that is to back up your words with actions and hopefully we’re beginning to be able to demonstrate that now.”

G. Broughton, October 2022.

Lets hear it the Greg.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11676/10261490/paul-lambert-admits-he-is-frustrated-to-be-leaving-blackburn

That information came from Paul Lambert himself, him walking actually had a negative impact on his career, but the money promised to rebuild the club during the interview process was a fib, that is why he resigned.

All to familiar under these owners I'm afraid..

Oh aye i know that i got told by a former director he was promised big funds then all the Rhodes money.  All he got was a few million to play with in wages and Rhodes wages freed up.

There was obviously a reason he inserted that clause though and like i said he wouldn't have walked away from his remainder of his contract without it.

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

“I’d rather be clear, I’ll give lots of information before a window, I’ll have open and honest conversations after the window, but during the window we’re doing our business and supporters will learn to put some faith and trust in us.

“Should that faith and trust come when they don’t know how we work? No. That has to be earned.

“The only way to do that is to back up your words with actions and hopefully we’re beginning to be able to demonstrate that now.”

G. Broughton, October 2022.

Lets hear it the Greg.

‘Not my fault guv - i did my part’

The problem (or intention maybe) of the club having such a convoluted recruitment process is there’s always someone else you can blame.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, goozburger said:

But he was rarely playing anyway until January yet a number of clubs were in for him. I doubt playing in the reserve league for 6 months will put off any suitors 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Again, there is no conspiracy with Waggott being in Birmingham. It's extremely commonplace, normal behaviour and not something to read into.

The problem is he should have been making sure deals got over the line not jollying it up in Birmingham 

• Like 7

Just now, roverandout said:

The problem is he should have been making sure deals got over the line not jollying it up in Birmingham 

Again, he wasn't "jollying" it up. Everyone was where they should be in a normal football workplace environment doing their duties. There is no conspiracy with him being at the game.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Again, there is no conspiracy with Waggott being in Birmingham. It's extremely commonplace, normal behaviour and not something to read into.

The only thing being read into it as far as I can see is that he chose being on a jolly to overseeing transfers on deadline day.

It’s not the only thing that caused this mess but it certainly didn’t help

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, benhben said:

It would be nice for JDT to come out and say it as it is, that the club had a chance of promotion, I wanted to strengthen but the club and the board failed to perform and the club needs to sort itself out if it ever wants to improve.

I suspect hes a tow the company line type of guy though, which is probably why he agreed to work under these morons. 

I'm get the feeling he might walk tbh. Doesn't strike me as a people-pleaser, from his dealings with players.