BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (a) - 13/11/2022

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd stop bothering, to be honest. 

Pre-JDT's appointment in the summer (that 5 week black hole where the club stood still and let 12 players walk out the door whilst all their rivals were busy signing players) many of us thought this squad would be mired in a relegation battle. A few shrewd permanent signings, a decent loanee and several Acdemy players breaking through have papered over the cracks of what is still a very average squad. 

JDT is performing miracles, but for some reason people think we should be pushing for automatic promotion whilst playing cavalier football. You can't reason with them I'm afraid. 

Yes.

I have just had another look at the table as we go in to the World Cup break. Of the top 5 teams we are the only one that are not in receipt of parachute payments from the Premier League, three of the other four receiving £55m and one I think £33m compared with our £8m - £9m from TV rights. The manager has done a brilliant job putting us where we are - and the idea that he might be chased out of the club because of one disappointing day or not giving some absurd "apology" horrifies me.

• Like 3

I thought we looked like an amateur team in the 1st round of the FA Cup who had no idea of how to lay a glove on the opposition. Watching them hurry us and the passes getting more and more ragged until we invariably shanked the ball out of play was absolutely humiliating for me.

I stand by this comment, to me the ease with which they beat us today is more humiliating than how they would have felt when we beat them by 5, 20+ years ago. The team we beat them with that day was full of stars, today we got absolutely battered by Ashley Barnes!! I didn't witness one player for us with a set of balls to come and take the ball or at least kick some of their players back, as they won the fight as well as the game.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cesus said:

I thought we looked like an amateur team in the 1st round of the FA Cup who had no idea of how to lay a glove on the opposition. Watching them hurry us and the passes getting more and more ragged until we invariably shanked the ball out of play was absolutely humiliating for me.

I stand by this comment, to me the ease with which they beat us today is more humiliating than how they would have felt when we beat them by 5, 20+ years ago. The team we beat them with that day was full of stars, today we got absolutely battered by Ashley Barnes!! I didn't witness one player for us with a set of balls to come and take the ball or at least kick some of their players back, as they won the fight as well as the game.

The TV commentators made the point that you can't  "kick some of their players back" now in the way you once could, if you want to stay on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I wonder how long JDT has to deal with the likes of Low, Benson et al. I know they were part of the package deal when he was appointed, but I'm sure he's sat in Broughton's office during the last five months and said "C'mon, Gregg, sort it out, they're useless". 

The hangers on.

Whoever is responsible for fitness.

New medical staff.

New CEO.

Can Gregg sack the lot, including the owners and himself?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I believe our fans couldnt get out the ground fast enough....they looked genuinely shell shocked on TV.

Quickest people moving in blue and white today were the fans.

Bunch of rubber dinghy men on the pitch. An embarrassment to the famous shirt.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The TV commentators made the point that you can't  "kick some of their players back" now in the way you once could, if you want to stay on the pitch.

I saw some extremely "derby game" like tackles coming from Burnley and didn't see any from ours, I think you know the point I was making.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It really annoying that people are posting about our league position as some kind of excuse for today. We've just been battered and embarrassed by our bitter rivals and our position in the league is absolutely no comfort to me right now.

It's the same ones trotting out the same shite as they always do.

League position doesn't matter in games like today we could be treading water in midtable or pointless at the bottom. The general feeling would still be annoyance at what was served up today it was as insipid and self destructive as you'll see anywhere from anyone all season.

The actual fact we went into it in second place with everything to play for makes it even worse. There's no excuse not to turn up when we are good enough to be in that position in the first place.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

I say it every time we try it... Brittain at LB should not be happening!! He is one of the best RBs in the league. Playing him at LB weakens the team immediately as the left side is totally unbalanced and the right side also isn't as strong as it could be because of this, throw a new defender inside of him in Mola and you have a recipe for disaster on paper and in a big game like this that's exactly what it was. Whenever I've seen Tomasson try it we've looked off and we were off again today to say the least, an absolutely appalling performance by the lot of them but it starts by not playing players in their strongest positions. A no show of a performance. Disgraceful from the players and the staff.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

1. Mola for Scott Wharton - many expressed their concern before the game and turned out to be right. Those saying they thought Mola played well first half I'm sure are basing it on the one crunching tackle he made. Positionally he was all at sea.

2. Garrett and Travis - They don't have a pass between them. We were always going to struggle to retain possession so you need someone who can pick a killer ball through ball in an instant and hit them on the counter. 

3. Playing out from the back - similar to the second point. Without A. Wharton we aren't keeping the ball. We have 2 big strikers. If you only have battlers in midfield go long and rush to get the second ball. 

3.1 Players have different skill sets - if you want to play out from the back you have to play the players capable. If you want to change the personell you have to change the philosophy/style.

4. Outside the obvious players who didn't fit the philosophy:

- Morton who I think is a good player has been off the boil for a while now

- Ayala for someone who is supposedly old school was bullied by Barnes

- Brereton-Diaz. As good as he is coming in off the left he's begun to play wider and wider this season. If we've got 2 up top I'm certain getting him slightly more central and closer to Gallagher would benefit the team.

All the above seems pretty obvious to me. And is pretty damning on JDT. No calling for his head etc on my part. We're third which is brilliant. But I do think it's based on a lot of luck at the moment. So many games have been such fine margins when we've won, but abject when we've lost. To his credit he can set up a team defensively, but if he's going to succeed there needs to be a big turnover of players. Ones who are comfortable on the ball. They aren't cheap which means recruitment wise we'll need some real unpolished diamonds.

A very sensible post in a sea of alarmism and borderline shameful cringeworthy hammering of JDT.

We're 3rd in the league with a very average group of players and probably the youngest squad.

He got it wrong today but that's always easy to identify in hindsight and we really didn't look that threatened until Gally went off injured.

Burnley have a far more talented group of players than we do at present. The bookies had us 4/1 against and they're not often wildly wrong.

A bit of perspective eh.

Edited by The1mattjansen
  • Like 2

On 07/11/2022 at 10:55, Hasta said:

Have to say I have a bad feeling. The way I currently see it is us just being camped in our half unable to get into their third of the pitch and losing possession. Hardly mustering a shot on target all game and being on the wrong end of 3 or 4 goals.

I hate to say "I told you so", but I did. King Stubborn refuses to change things to the detriment of the team.

I've seen us lose lots of games over the last 35 years, but I've never seen an away following as angry and flat at the decisions of a manager as that seemed today at the end of the game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ghost7 said:

I say it every time we try it... Brittain at LB should not be happening!! He is one of the best RBs in the league. Playing him at LB weakens the team immediately as the left side is totally unbalanced and the right side also isn't as strong as it could be because of this, throw a new defender inside of him in Mola and you have a recipe for disaster on paper and in a big game like this that's exactly what it was. Whenever I've seen Tomasson try it we've looked off and we were off again today to say the least, an absolutely appalling performance by the lot of them but it starts by not playing players in their strongest positions. A no show of a performance. Disgraceful from the players and the staff.

It’s completely illogical in the first place. All it does is encourage their player to come inside on his stronger foot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“ Disappointed “ is that it ? Some of us won’t sleep tonight after that no show. If they had any feelings for the club and its fans at all there would be a written apology in tomorrows paper signed by every person involved in todays “ game “. Starting with the manager.

But they don’t care. They haven’t since Jacks death. No one has. That’s why we are where we are in debt, a manager who believes his brief is to add value to the squad with promotion being a optional extra. High season ticket sales, the old waggot tax for walk ons. Managers that under perform get to stay Keane bowyer Mowbray. Players who haven’t cared Orr Murphy.

It is what it is but today was ignorance by the manager it didn’t even take a tactical genius to work out punt it long but not our guy persist with the suicidal play from the back.

He must be the thickest guy in denmark

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The1mattjansen said:

A very sensible post in a sea of alarmism and borderline shameful hammering of JDT.

But that post is hammering Tomasson for his selection and tactics. Rovers fans are fully entitled to feel bitterness and anger towards him tonight. If you think that was acceptable today then you are entitled to your opinion.

• Like 4