BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

13 minutes ago, den said:

I can’t get past the idea that someone at this club thought it a good idea to commit to a fee of up to £10m plus a PL wages contract for a player not proven to be PL class in any way. We don’t even know for sure he would perform for us.

Why would any club do that?

I think it’s called a good problem to have.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

It was included because we know that promotion has a very, very slim chance of happening so it doesn't matter, and wellIf we somehow snuck up through the play offs, £10m is relative peanuts to what we would earn through the promotion.

It would be a multimillion pound deal. It makes no sense to commit to that for someone who’s current club don’t want.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

That money would only be paid if we got promoted.

He is a proven top end championship player even if he didn't prove himself to be premier League quality parachute clubs would give us half that ten million fee back or even if kept on and we got relegated we would have him for a promotion campaign.

Trying to sign a player of O'Brien's quality isn't something they should be criticised for.

I’m not criticising rovers taking players on loan. 

36 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

My thinking exactly. Say they'd made the decision last Thursday or even end of day Friday, there's a good chance we'd have been willing to move on and not seek compensation should the deal be approved.  As it stands if it were approved I'd be quite annoyed if we didn't seek compensation for the games missed. 

Like you say, if it wasn't going to go through, surely we would have heard by now. 

The only other option I can think of is that behind closed doors the EFL have hinted to us they were going to turn it down and we've let them know we'd be bringing in lawyers and taking things further which has spooked the EFL, thus causing a longer delay. Its the only scenario I can think of which makes any semblance of sense right now.

Sparks might know a better Director of Football playing U10s football in Haslingden?

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, den said:

It would be a multimillion pound deal. It makes no sense to commit to that for someone who’s current club don’t want.

But only paid if we get promoted.

If he signs and we get promoted you would have to think it likely he would have played a major role in that promotion so the 10 million would have been worth every penny.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, den said:

I can’t get past the idea that someone at this club thought it a good idea to commit to a fee of up to £10m plus a PL wages contract for a player not proven to be PL class in any way. We don’t even know for sure he would perform for us.

Bit harsh on O'Brien to write him off at the PL level because of a rough few months at Forest, who had plenty of problems to start the year.

£10m is relative peanuts at the PL level (and probably the going rate for a top, young Championship-level midfielder). Probably need to spend at least £15-20m for a 'PL proven', young midfielder these days...

It's all fantastical sums for us to consider, but keep in mind that Bournemouth have spent ~£80m this year (setting aside Fulham and Forest's outlays...). Norwich spent about £55m and Watford ~£40m after promotion the year before.

8 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Bit harsh on O'Brien to write him off at the PL level because of a rough few months at Forest, who had plenty of problems to start the year.

£10m is relative peanuts at the PL level (and probably the going rate for a top, young Championship-level midfielder). Probably need to spend at least £15-20m for a 'PL proven', young midfielder these days...

It's all fantastical sums for us to consider, but keep in mind that Bournemouth have spent ~£80m this year (setting aside Fulham and Forest's outlays...). Norwich spent about £55m and Watford ~£40m after promotion the year before.

I didn’t write him off.

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If he signs and we get promoted you would have to think it likely he would have played a major role in that promotion

You could use that scenario to justify offering to pay £10m + PL contract to every player we ever sign.

my question is why?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, den said:

You could use that scenario to justify offering to pay £10m + PL contract to every player we ever sign.

my question is why?

Becuase that risk was worth taking for someone that could significantly improve our chances of getting out of this league, and paying 10m to get many 100ms back was a great bet, especially as if the bet failed it didn't cost you 10m.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, den said:

my question is why?

Again I dont see what your problem is. 

If he was to play a role in getting us promoted then £10 million Is nothing .

He is a quality player

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It's not 'within reason' though. It's a pointless and petty query. It's not reasonable that they plucked it out of their arse and we had no reason to expect it. Not sure how that can be considered our fault if that's the cause of problems. They could have sent it back to ask us what LOB's grandad is called or something, that would be our fault too would it?

You're being silly there, that's why I said "within reason". I'm struggling to understand why, even if what Nixon has claimed is correct, people don't think it's relevant what happens if we got promoted, signed him permanently, then got relegated again if the Club failed to address that.

I'm thinking by now the appeal was probably rejected some time ago but the Club haven't dared/couldn't be arsed publicising the result. Just as they couldn't be bothered keeping everyone abreast of the situation for a couple of days after the window closed and any relevant info had to be drip fed by Sharpe aa opposed to being released by the Club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, den said:

Cos he is quality player who things hasn't worked out at Forest but who says it wouldn't here for him. Rovers management think he would be good fit for us. 

We don't know what his wages aswell. I read different amounts from 30k to 65k for his wages. 

We were on the verge of signing the best Championship midfielder in the last few seasons - someone who was absolutely central (along with Sorba) in dragging bloody Huddersfield Town to the play offs.

We’d even agreed a £10m fee should we be promoted, which is absolute peanuts in Prem terms.

This aspect of the situation is both good business and ambitious; I struggle to find why anyone would (or could) criticise.

Finalising the deal, however it failed, is of course a different matter.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're being silly there, that's why I said "within reason". I'm struggling to understand why, even if what Nixon has claimed is correct, people don't think it's relevant what happens if we got promoted, signed him permanently, then got relegated again if the Club failed to address that.

I'm thinking by now the appeal was probably rejected some time ago but the Club haven't dared/couldn't be arsed publicising the result. Just as they couldn't be bothered keeping everyone abreast of the situation for a couple of days after the window closed and any relevant info had to be drip fed by Sharpe aa opposed to being released by the Club.

No, you were being silly by saying the EFL's query about relegation was within reason. It totally isn't, so I just joined in and took it a bit further.

It's really quite simple, I'm struggling to understand why you're struggling to understand it. We don't think it's relevant because:

1) We will have shitloads of money at that point and it will be a relative drop.

2) We clearly look short of promotion calibre right now. If we did get him and went up, it would likely have a lot to do with signing him, in which case again, what's 10 million compared to 170+ million?

3) Due to the shitloads of money, his high wage will, again, be a drop. We would also have a proven Championship performer with two promotions under his belt, whilst attempting another Championship promotion, not the worst thing. By the end of that season if we hadn't gone back up, 2 years of his new deal would be over, with likely only a year or two left, and parachute payments to fund it.

4) If it isn't in the rules for us to include it, they have no right to delay our transfer beyond the deadline to ask about it. If they chose to do that off their own bat, they should allow additional time to answer it, as it is outside of established rules and requirements. The authorities didn't show this sort of 'concern' for our welfare when they let Venkys buy and misrule us, and if anything they're probably getting in our way by asking it and damaging our promotion chances.

All of this has essentially already been said in here though by myself and others, so if you're still confused I've nothing else for you.

• Like 5

I understand the standpoint of wanting GB to resign. However, after a long period of time of finger pointing within the club, I am glad that we finally have someone who is willing to take responsibility. I would much rather he own his mistakes as that to me shows that he willing to learn from them and improve. If this monumental F**k up happens again, then that is where I will have lost confidence in GB and expect a resignation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

GB came out and said there are things we can do better. I think he likened it to a player getting a harsh red card, in that we may not agree with the decision but we can't give the officials the option in the first place. Quite right and quite right that he took responsibility. I do think part of that was a PR exercise too. 

He went onto say we wouldn't be appealing if we didn't think we had a strong case. The amount of time this is dragging on for suggests we do otherwise it would have been turned down by now. 

I'm sure you knew all this anyway, but GB and the club being entirely to blame fits straight in with the narrative you seem to search for in many things relating to the club, in that you love to criticise. Don't get me wrong, there's been plenty to be unhappy about in recent years even if it was better than the atrocity of the half decade preceeding it, but some people's views just aren't objective. For me the structure we're putting in place and having an ambitious, communicative DOF is a big step forwards. But that doesn't fit into the, everything is negative narrative. 

Criticism is important when valid, but it loses its impact if the club can do no right.

In this instance though, the club didn't do right. I think that is fair without going down the rabbit hole of "loving to criticise" or being negative, not specific of course to who you are quoting.

You have chose to describe Broughton as "ambitious" but ultimately the key question mark is competence. I personally have been underwhelmed by the 2 windows that Broughton has overseen. I have yet to see much evidence of a "big step forward." 

31 minutes ago, Cuppliance said:

I understand the standpoint of wanting GB to resign. However, after a long period of time of finger pointing within the club, I am glad that we finally have someone who is willing to take responsibility. I would much rather he own his mistakes as that to me shows that he willing to learn from them and improve. If this monumental F**k up happens again, then that is where I will have lost confidence in GB and expect a resignation.

His mistake?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You have chose to describe Broughton as "ambitious" but ultimately the key question mark is competence. I personally have been underwhelmed by the 2 windows that Broughton has overseen. I have yet to see much evidence of a "big step forward." 

Competence? 

underwhelmed?