BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I imagine it’s not happening but we simply arn't accepting it - We just need to put this to bed, could get embarrassing as it really shouldn’t of got to this stage in the first place - only ourselves to blame.

If it isn't just Nicko doing his favourite sit-on-the-fence trick, which it probably is, then reading between the lines it implies this. That we've lost the appeal but are taking legal action, or going to the court of arbitration for sport or somesuch.

I'd be fine with that, if we do actually have a strong case when it gets put outside the self-serving decision-making of the EFL. Obviously it would be financial compensation only, but if we have a 70% upwards sort of chance, might be worth the legal fees to try and spin a bit of revenue for the club.

Maybe it's embarrassing, maybe it's not - again, we still don't actually know the details of what has happened, only what the unreliable Nixon has 'leaked'. And even that, I'd say only the misspelling of the agent name reflects poorly on us and it's pretty minor. (The Rochdale lad is a fairly insignificant case, and it was alleged he was the one who didn't fill the form in fully...yes somebody should catch it really before it's sent, but late in the day with a much bigger transfer to worry about...I don't really care about that one) But the real story could be absolutely anything at this point, so I'm not going to rush to calling it embarrassing.

• Like 1

So basically it's what I thought it was when we first heard about this.

The incompetent clowns at Rovers have totally fucked this up and are now trying to spin the story as the big bad football league won't let the transfer happen.

This isn't the first time we've signed a player. The people who deal with this should know that authorities like the EFL are pedantic bellends that want every question answered, even the ones they didn't ask.

Conveniently, the two people who are in charge at Ewood were not around whilst this disaster was being carried out. They'll be more than happy with the end result, one more wage they don't have to pay and they get to shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, we tried'.

Can anyone say they were really that surprised that something like this has happened?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

55A005A4-6E2E-43FE-BB2E-E7B101B6CACC.png

How on earth is this still rumbling on? The EFL will have had a week to review our appeal. A week! The initial mess reflected badly on us. This process is reflecting badly on them. What on earth are they trying to do... negotiate with us? It should either be approved or not. Nothing inbetween. 

Clearly there is some accountability on their part, as they'd have rejected it by now if it were that simple. It strikes me as they want nothing more than to reject it but are struggling to do so. I wish they'd just be transparent and accept or reject it. There is a strong human element to deadline day. People cock up. If they've cocked up just fess up, approve it, review their process and we all move on. 

• Like 7

Standard EFL stuff. Incapable of reaching a decision promptly. No wonder hardly anyone has ever been punished for FFP issues when it takes them weeks to even determine if a player was signed properly or not.

What I would like to know is whether Rovers will be seeking some form of damages from the League if our appeal is successful. We've already had Wigan and Watford without O'Brien in the side and seems like WBA too. 3 big games that could be crucial to our play-off prospects. If we are successful in our appeal and have missed out on his services for such games through no fault of our own I'd hope Rovers were assessing chances of compensation.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

. If we are successful in our appeal and have missed out on his services for such games through no fault of our own I'd hope Rovers were assessing chances of compensation.

Perhaps that is what is holding everything up, if EFL cocked up. Mindful that Forest may have a case for paying O'brien's wages when not "officially" their player.

• Like 1

I think it has become quite obvious that the EFL shoulders some of the responsibility here

If it was as cut and dry some told us it was, then the box ticking exercise would be exactly that. Directors do not enjoy a claim that their organisation is to blame to be sat on their desk for any longer than necessary

I still think the EFL will deny the appeal - they don't like taking responsibility for much. Then by the next transfer window a slight tweak to the rules will mean they'll never be put in this position again

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

How on earth is this still rumbling on? The EFL will have had a week to review our appeal. A week! The initial mess reflected badly on us. This process is reflecting badly on them. What on earth are they trying to do... negotiate with us? It should either be approved or not. Nothing inbetween. 

Clearly there is some accountability on their part, as they'd have rejected it by now if it were that simple. It strikes me as they want nothing more than to reject it but are struggling to do so. I wish they'd just be transparent and accept or reject it. There is a strong human element to deadline day. People cock up. If they've cocked up just fess up, approve it, review their process and we all move on. 

Because for all intents and purposes, everything I've seen on the O'Brien case so far points me towards in a court (granted not where this is settled), the EFL's case simply wouldn't hold up.

They know this I feel, but don't want to set a precedent for having decisions overturned.

Edited by Mellor Rover

48 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Because for all intents and purposes, everything I've seen on the O'Brien case so far points me towards in a court (granted not where this is settled), the EFL's case simply wouldn't hold up.

They know this I feel, but don't want to set a precedent for having decisions overturned.

What would be very interesting - have they always insisted on this relegation clause in these alleged circumstances ? If not, I am not certain how they can reject the appeal. However, this is the EFL, who thought that Buckley deserved a red card for gently throwing a ball at a players head (in obvious jest rather than with malicious intent)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

What would be very interesting - have they always insisted on this relegation clause in these alleged circumstances ? If not, I am not certain how they can reject the appeal. However, this is the EFL, who thought that Buckley deserved a red card for gently throwing a ball at a players head (in obvious jest rather than with malicious intent)

Sounds very much to me that they know they've dropped a clanger with this 'new form' and tried to pin it on a misspelling of an agents name... which means the square root of nowt. Doesn't effect the contract and the signature on the bottom is all that matters.

31 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

But their own regulations don’t insist on this clause

If there is no proof of them ever going back to a club asking the question they asked rovers than they are fcuked. You just hope rovers are smart and aggressive enough to fight it tooth and nail and take legal action against the EFL. I'm sure rovers would be happy if they just approved it, both parties agree to say as little as possible about it and get on with the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

If there's a compensation element if we win, it stands to reason that we won't win. 

Unless we waiver that if they agree to approve the loan.

Just get on with it - either way. His value is obviously diminishing to us as each game passes.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1