BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 25/2/23

Didnt see the gamd but Probably one of the best results and performances of the season. Also good to see there would be life to the team without BBD. You could argue in the last 2 games having two genuine wingers in dolan and Thomas on either flank has helped the team. 

If Gallagher did nothing else other than stay central and throw himself at crosses he'd do alright at championship level. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Got to hold my hand up on this one i was a big supporter of Nyambe but Brittain really is twice the player.  Just hope he doesn't share Ryans glass like issues.

He cost a lot more than a few hundred grand from the lower leagues though 😀

I agree mate, not even comparable. I honestly think some of us had been watching Nyambe so long that they had a ‘Stockholm syndrome’ type love for him. He was VERY average. Brittain miles better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

In general, this board gets some things wrong, like Brereton and JRC.

It also gets some right. Like Lowe and Hirst.

I don't think it's that black and white. Brereton and JRC were both poor early doors and I don't personally think that can be argued against. Not convincingly anyway. Unless fans categorically stated "Brereton/JRC will never make it in a Rovers shirt", then they aren't wrong to have had that opinion at the time. 

It's great to see JRC really step up though. Looked like he might've been on his way in January and now he's one of our key players. Really interesting run of games coming up. Hoping we can keep everyone fit for them. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

don't think it's that black and white. Brereton and JRC were both poor early doors and I don't personally think that can be argued against. Not convincingly anyway. Unless fans categorically stated "Brereton/JRC will never make it in a Rovers shirt", then they aren't wrong to have had that opinion at the time. 

To be fair, I myself said Brereton would not make it at Rovers so I’m having a pop at myself.

I also argued like mad that Jason Lowe wasn’t even a league one player despite people saying he will end up in the premier league after he leaves Rovers, and also saying “surely all these managers who keep picking him know better”. They didn’t.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Sometimes though, he thinks he has that split second, dawdles and loses it. When he's on his game, he's very good at this level. He can certainly play. Needs to find that consistency though and never rest on his laurels.

The build-up to the goal against Blackpool being a prime example, the way he let the ball pass his body in order to get it on his stronger foot could have been punished severely by stronger opponents in that position. Lovely player though, especially when he plays deeper in midfield. 

Gally seems like a real confidence player. Hopefully this kick starts a little run for him. He's never gonna be a world beater but if he just believed in himself more he'd be a serviceable championship striker!

Overall fantastic win. Obvious to me that GA didn't have enough time to really instil his own intensity and enthusiasm into QPR. I'm sure they'll improve going forward and hopefully take some points off our rivals. We may have caught them at a good time despite the whole managerial bounce lark.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree mate, not even comparable. I honestly think some of us had been watching Nyambe so long that they had a ‘Stockholm syndrome’ type love for him. He was VERY average. Brittain miles better.

Other people can rate a player that you don't, without it being some sort of fucking syndrome you know.

Always rated Nyambe from day one, so hardly Stockholm syndrome. Mismanagement and injuries stopped him becoming the player he could have been. But doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the current JRC (the old one was dogshit at RB) and Brittain offer more in an attacking sense and probably more overall.

• Like 4

Cracking win that, really is. 3 wins in a week, top stuff! 

Delighted for Sam Goallagher! 

I must admit, as one of his staunchest  defenders these last couple of years I was starting to lose patience with him ever becoming a goal threat, but hopefully these 2 goals see him grow in confidence, and what a time for that to happen! 

COYB!! 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You see it all the time - the rush to judgement and the absolute certainty by some that they are better placed to assess a player than the professionals at the club who have had a lifetime working in the game and see a player in training day in day out. The latest victim is Jack Vale who was given a 3 year contract in October - presumably on the advice of JDT, a man who has played at the highest level- and yet is apparently no good according to the "experts" who post on here.

Until Jack Vale shows a lot more than he has on the football pitch against 11 senior professionals in competitive matches, he will continue to be seen as not good enough. And that's exactly how it should be. I don't care if he's Pele in training, he's been utterly ineffective when he plays and cost us points as a result. If he comes good and starts smashing them in, everyone will be happy about it.

Similar shite was said about Jason Lowe, and the fans indeed did know more than several professional managers.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Other people can rate a player that you don't, without it being some sort of fucking syndrome you know.

Always rated Nyambe from day one, so hardly Stockholm syndrome. Mismanagement and injuries stopped him becoming the player he could have been. But doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the current JRC (the old one was dogshit at RB) and Brittain offer more in an attacking sense and probably more overall.

Ahhh, have Wigan ‘mismanaged’ Ryan too? He’s crap mate, always was. Surely watching Brittain, a cheap-ish signing from Barnsley is all the proof you need.

Fwiw - I thought JRC was better than Nyambe at RB during the Mowbray era. Though that was more to do with how bad Ryan was rather than how well Joe was playing.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I can remember on FM18 Nyambe having very good physical stats, but quite poor technical stats, and I'd say that's about right. Lad is a great athlete when fit and didn't often lose physical battles, but he also contributed zilch in terms of goals, assists or anything useful from a creative standpoint. He has a skillset which would work in the right system, but I don't think it would suit what JDT is trying to do. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Anyone remember when Ryan Nyambe was a ‘thing’ ? Thank GOD we’ve moved on 🙏🏽

Nyambe was good for us at times, for this level, and played in some woefully ineffective sides. Branthwaite, Bell and, to a lesser extent, Lenihan, struggled for us but have found better form elsewhere - so there's hope for him, albeit, at the moment, his team are heading for relegation. If the management couldn't improve him, they needed to bring in some competition to push him and this is something that Mowbray failed with.

Rankin-Costello was always a decent player but injuries hit him badly and this is the first time he's managed to stay fit since, perhaps, his reserve team or U18 days. A positive is that the academy continues to provide useful players at this level, including Nyambe, JRC, Carter, Wharton and so on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

I can remember on FM18 Nyambe having very good physical stats, but quite poor technical stats, and I'd say that's about right. Lad is a great athlete when fit and didn't often lose physical battles, but he also contributed zilch in terms of goals, assists or anything useful from a creative standpoint. He has a skillset which would work in the right system, but I don't think it would suit what JDT is trying to do. 

I agree. I think he was a great athlete and had he been two inches taller, might be a decent cb, but he’s a rank bad fullback and the likes of Brittain, who hasn’t even been able to establish himself, due to injuries are head and shoulders above him.

Brittain has historically been consistent in terms of games played, so fingers crossed he’s passed his injury issues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andy said:

One thing I didn't realise (until I read it tonight) was that we have 7 of the remaining 12 games at Ewood.

And we have the best / 2nd best home record in the league; JDT has us consistently picking points up at home.

We have incredible chance to make the top 6, which would be an immense achievement for a manager who's never managed in this country, never mind the league. And that's before you consider the squad he inherited.

Oh, and JRC is my new favourite player.

It's the squad he inherited that has largely had us in the top 6 virtually all season,Hyam apart. 

If the new players can come to the party for the rest of the season, as they have in the last couple of games, we'll be well placed for the run in. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ahhh, have Wigan ‘mismanaged’ Ryan too? He’s crap mate, always was. Surely watching Brittain, a cheap-ish signing from Barnsley is all the proof you need.

Fwiw - I thought JRC was better than Nyambe at RB during the Mowbray era. Though that was more to do with how bad Ryan was rather than how well Joe was playing.

How he is at Wigan and how he has been managed is something to ask a Wigan fan, not me. Although it's worth noting their captain plays at RB, always going to be hard to knock the captain out of the team. I do have Wigan fans in the family actually, and one of them reckoned Nyambe should be playing over their captain. However, I already said factors stopped him reaching his potential, and I feel he regressed in the last year of Mowbray's rule. It was blatant to me that damage had been done to his confidence. Some players are confidence players. See BB in his first two seasons, compared to BBD in his fourth. Being repeatedly unfairly dropped, and called out in the press when other players were far worse, did a number on Nyambe's confidence and he'll probably never get to where he should have. How cheap Brittain was is irrelevant, I could equally point out Nyambe was free.

Thinking JRC was better than Nyambe at RB during Mowbray's time is just laughable to me, he was a liability week in week out, but you're welcome to your opinion. My opinion is you've tied your opinion to those of the club time after time, so you found it easy to justify dropping Nyambe for worse players and calling Nyambe crap. But hey.

• Like 2

As one who stated that JRC was an abysmal footballer in the past I cannot quite believe the transformation over the last month or so.

The only reasoning that I can come up with is a reality check that came with looking at the exit door. For the past 2 years, regardless of form or fitness  Mowbray always found a way to shoehorn the lad in the side, hence it all came a bit easy for him. Maybe the realisation that he may have to ply his trade somewhere less salubrious has sharpened him up because he's become a player that I could never have envisaged from the last 2 years of 'performances'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LDRover said:

As one who stated that JRC was an abysmal footballer in the past I cannot quite believe the transformation over the last month or so.

The only reasoning that I can come up with is a reality check that came with looking at the exit door. For the past 2 years, regardless of form or fitness  Mowbray always found a way to shoehorn the lad in the side, hence it all came a bit easy for him. Maybe the realisation that he may have to ply his trade somewhere less salubrious has sharpened him up because he's become a player that I could never have envisaged from the last 2 years of 'performances'.

Like I posted earlier, I don't think he was ever physically 100% when Mowbray would fudge him into the side. You can't play at your best when your body isn't cooperating.