BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The games that really choked you

Palace in the play offs.

Liverpool last minute equaliser in the FA Cup.

The 1st PL relegation season, I was there for the Southampton 3-3 away match where we conceded 2 late goals and walking back to the station realising we really could be in trouble - though thankfully we still had to face the dreadful Forest.

The Forest match.

Then the following season, away to Swindon Town (where I now live) they were bottom and in administration so selling anyone they could - they beat us 2-1.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

My Dad took me to Deepdale to watch the PNE/Swansea game on the day we lost at Bristol, but I was fairly young at the time so it didn't really affect me that much.

It has to be that Palace game for me. The stuff of nightmares that one.

Dad and me did same - although I was old enough for it to affect!

Palace - enough said

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

My Dad took me to Deepdale to watch the PNE/Swansea game on the day we lost at Bristol, but I was fairly young at the time so it didn't really affect me that much.

It has to be that Palace game for me. The stuff of nightmares that one.

I thought we won at Bristol Rovers, Kevin Stonehouse 0-1 ?

Edited by rigger

21 hours ago, broadsword said:

Today has totally murdered me. It's made me think of the times that rovers have really brought me low.

Palace eighty nine George bloody Courtney, glad all over and going into second leg with a healthy lead. Just absolutely unreal

Sheffield Wednesday cup semi in ninety three. We'd just signed Anderson and I was hopeful of a trip to Wembley 

Leicester at home in ninety two or was it ninety one. I can still remember Russell getting that lucky bounce off mimms, all these years later. We needed a win to get back on track but we lost again

The champions League campaign, the first portent that we were on the slide. Trelleborgs at home was a dead rubber. Great expectations come to nought

Thecup semi against Chelsea, Morten missing An easy header 

Defeat against Burnley always hurts of course .

think that's it

Oddly you mention the league cup semi at Wednesday but the quarter final replay at Sheff Utd in the same week sticks in my throat more than that. It hurts just as much as this weekend's episode. 

15 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Oddly you mention the league cup semi at Wednesday but the quarter final replay at Sheff Utd in the same week sticks in my throat more than that. It hurts just as much as this weekend's episode. 

Me too. As much as I recall the Palace play offs as a huge disappointment , by 1993 I was old enough to go to away games on my own and we did quite a few that year. After Sheffield Wednesday on the Sunday I always thought we had a second chance against United. I can't remember why, but for some reason we played the league cup semi-final against Sheff Wednesday on a Sunday, and then had to play an FA Cup quarter final use 2 days later on the Tuesday. TV was screwing us over even then !!! Anyway I was proper gutted coming off Brammall Lane that night. It may well be growing up, but no game has ever left me that flat since.

Chelsea in the FA Cup semi was heartbreaking. That first defeat after years to Burnley at Ewood stung. But Brammall Lane 1993 for me was the one. I shouldn't say it, but it would probably take a play off final defeat from the jaws of victory to top it.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

'99:

Utd at home when we got relegated, Ashely Ward missing that sitter. 

The Forest game at home when we lost 2-1, only game I've ever walked out of - couldn't hack it as a kid. 

'97/'98 when we got beat 4-0 at Old Trafford too, that Kenna own goal - having to go into school the following day and face all my plastic Scum supporting classmates. Proudly wore my Rovers coat and got into all sorts of trouble. That really thickened my skin that game.

The European disaster in '95. First real feelings of embarrassment following football.

Getting beat 1-0 by Stockport at home under Ray Harford. 

Any game against West Ham where we lost. 

Shearer elbowing Gallacher in the face on his return to Ewood, and his post match comments, that pissed me off.

Hearing every away section singing "where's your Shearer gone?" in the late 90s. 

Sorry this thread isn't about what has made you the most angry after a game 😂

Funny all the memories I have of games that "choked" me up were from my teens, must be hormones an' all that - anything in the following years I'm just numb to it. Even relegation at the hands of Wigan, and then the league one relegation, felt nothing just the crushing inevitability.

In fact yesterday has been the first game that has properly got me in recent years - it's the hope that kills you, and feeling for the players - I genuinely love this squad and manager, 2 loans, loads of Academy and local lads, can't help but really get behind them. Also knowing that we're starting to move in the right direction, but our owners will always hold us back, these little glimmers feel more and more fleeting. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Leverkusen in the eufa cup under Hughes, they employed some right shit house tactics and I really wanted to beat them, sadly we could only muster a 0-0 at Ewood that knocked us out having lost the first game 3-2 

Should've picked up a result away too. One of the misses of our modern era from Jason Roberts who somehow managed to miss from about two yards out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Leverkusen in the eufa cup under Hughes, they employed some right shit house tactics and I really wanted to beat them, sadly we could only muster a 0-0 at Ewood that knocked us out having lost the first game 3-2 

Speaking of greatly disappointing European games, and with the Champions League campaign and Trelleborgs already having been covered...Celtic.

Both games. The first one of course we utterly outplayed them for nearly the entire match, then conceded a late Larsson sucker punch. We all went home thoroughly expecting to pound them at Ewood with home advantage. Instead we lost 2-0. Many like to say we got just as outclassed at Ewood as they were at Celtic Park, but I've always thought that was bollocks. The stats back this up somewhat...we had more shots, and 6 shots on target to Celtic's 2. So they scored the only times they hit the target. We also had more possession and more corners. I felt robbed in both games, I don't care what anyone else says. I feel the memories of the second game are distorted by the expectation vs outcome, the 2 goal deficit rather than just 1 late sucker punch, and how Celtic's fans thoroughly outsang us. It was definitely depressing trudging home with them lot going wild.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Moptop1 said:

Palace - Full stop. Nothing  else compared and I doubt it ever will.

Yes that was the worse footballing day of my life

could not find our car in the streets of sarf London

a long journey back 

1990 WC closest 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Which is exactly what Palace in 1989 was, which is why so many people are referencing it.

I know. I remember the Chelsea, Palace, Swindon play offs pretty well.

But being only 12 at the time of the Palace game I was probably too young for it to have the emotional scarring that it would have done had I been a few years older.

The reason I think the Sheff United game I referenced, and the Palace second leg, hurt fans so much as they are games we probably expected us to come through. Sunday's game, by comparison,  I always thought was a 60/40 in their favour.

Edited by Hasta

That Utd game where Tevez got the last minute equalizer

The Darwen End seemed way too full, but the whole ground was packed. Santa Cruz got a goal in the first half; Fergie gave the tap of the watch

Friedel seemed unbeatable that game and then Tevez scored a flick on header. Made me feel sick to the stomach

Other than that, the last game I got choked up was the England v Italy final and England v France

• Like 3

14 hours ago, broadsword said:

How could I forget Celtic? I think the first leg in particular was the best I've ever seen us play. That really was an absolute gutter.

Yes it was, Leicester in the Cup recently was close but Celtic never got a kick until the last few minutes when they scored (and that was a header).

Martin O'Neill was a wily old manager though and he had sorted out in the second leg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes it was, Leicester in the Cup recently was close but Celtic never got a kick until the last few minutes when they scored (and that was a header).

Martin O'Neill was a wily old manager though and he had sorted out in the second leg

He sat Chris Sutton on Tugay whenever we got the ball. Completely stopped us playing.

• Like 1