BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston (a) - 22/4/23 - 17:30 k/o

17 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Also want to point out BBD was offside when we cleared it up the pitch and their defender controlled it. Instead of letting him have it, knowing he was coming from an offside position he goes and tries to take it resulting in a free kick, this may seem small but instead of them having to working it up the pitch and break us down, they get a free kick and a chance to bring up their big lads and launch it up putting us under pressure straight away. Moronic.

I don't really pretend to understand the offside rule anymore after all the 'clarifications' in recent years, but when the defender took possession does that not make it a new phase of play, meaning BBD is no longer offside? That's certainly been the case for a few high profile top flight goals I remember.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We are absolutely well and fucking truly cursed. I fucking give up.

NO other team concede late goals like we do. It is absolutely well and truly unforgivable.

We played well in the second half and were clearly the better team for that period. Hedges was instrumental in that but wtf was he doing ! Score, hit low and hard and take a goalkick or corner or go to flag, he takes sole responsibility. As to the curse, Scott W and Brittain appear to be the subs from hell 😡

• Like 5

Another game to file under one we would have easily won with a decent striker.

Feel pretty sanguine about it because as long as we can find one or two good strikers we will have a great shot next season. 

Obviously would love to make the playoffs to show progress but I would rate our chances of winning them as zero without a good striker.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

Deflated. Not a set of bollocks on that pitch today. Not a single player able to control a game. Not a single player capable of being responsible. 

I’d say Adam wharton is. Really liked to see him berate travis for losing his man and him having to step in to save his error. 
travis doesn’t keep his shirt next season

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Leicester - Brittain comes on, gets run ragged, concede a goal from that flank within 5 minutes, let them back in to a game we were dominating.

Quarter final - Brings on Brittain and Wharton to go 5 at the back while we are leading. Concede an equaliser within a minute, go on to lose the game.

Coventry - brings Wharton on to go 5 at the back. Concede in the last minute of injury time.

Preston - Brings on both, goes 5 at the back. Both look crap. Concede an equaliser in the last minute of injury time.

The only time bringing Brittain on worked was against Stoke when we were 3 down and he did some attacking for 5 minutes. Can’t remember the last time Scott Wharton looked good.

Unfortunately our manager, for all his good points, is also supremely arrogant and prone to making costly stubborn decisions. This repeated change did us out of the cup and more than likely the playoffs. Persisting with Morton over Wharton has cost us god knows how many points. I’m fucking furious with him tonight.

Don't know why anyone is surprised with what Hedges did either. His brain seizes up and his legs take on a life of their own when he sets foot in the opposition box. If he had any composure he’d be a very good player.

No blame on Hyam, just unlucky for the goal. That said I thought he was crap today (that belting late tackle aside), but he’s got a lot of good grace still.

This is a very good summary.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Cherry Blue said:

One positive, JDT knew Dolan was crap and took him off after 45 mins

He'd do well with quality players.

Problem is we aren't going to get a team of quality players, not with our budget. If he chooses to stay here, which I think is up in the air right now, JDT has to be realistic and adapt his management style to the calibre of player that's going to be available to him. I think he has partially achieved that, as we have played well at times this season and have been in the top six for the vast majority of the season, but he needs to really consider what he needs to change next season in regards to his coaching and tactical style, based on the players we have and are likely to be able to attract. There is a foundation here, but a lot of work to be done building on that - he can't do it without the recruitment team stepping up, though. He'll know that better than anyone, and if he doesn't believe in the recruitment team, I think it'll be a major factor in him walking away.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, belfast_rover said:

The number of people citing JDT as somehow being at fault for a handball goal and Ryan Hedges not having the nous to simply walk to the corner is insane.

He inherited a duff squad, has improved a lot of the young players and even a few of those who were also rans before, and has struggled on making the best of what he has after the club bungled getting the reinforcements we needed in January.

Yes, he has made some errors, but that comes with the territory of managers willing to work for this batshit club with minimal budget.  I despair that anyone thinking he is part of the problem, reality is this squad would be one of the weakest ever to be promoted from this division.

You are being very kind to JDT there ...not sure he deserves it !

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Leicester - Brittain comes on, gets run ragged, concede a goal from that flank within 5 minutes, let them back in to a game we were dominating.

Quarter final - Brings on Brittain and Wharton to go 5 at the back while we are leading. Concede an equaliser within a minute, go on to lose the game.

Coventry - brings Wharton on to go 5 at the back. Concede in the last minute of injury time.

Preston - Brings on both, goes 5 at the back. Both look crap. Concede an equaliser in the last minute of injury time.

The only time bringing Brittain on worked was against Stoke when we were 3 down and he did some attacking for 5 minutes. Can’t remember the last time Scott Wharton looked good.

Unfortunately our manager, for all his good points, is also supremely arrogant and prone to making costly stubborn decisions. This repeated change did us out of the cup and more than likely the playoffs. Persisting with Morton over Wharton has cost us god knows how many points. I’m fucking furious with him tonight.

Don't know why anyone is surprised with what Hedges did either. His brain seizes up and his legs take on a life of their own when he sets foot in the opposition box. If he had any composure he’d be a very good player.

No blame on Hyam, just unlucky for the goal. That said I thought he was crap today (that belting late tackle aside), but he’s got a lot of good grace still.

I thought our two centrebacks were immense. Making last ditch tackles.  Throwing their head and body on the line. The big eff up is up top. We have the nucleus of a very good team but lack any quality in the final third.  Its like having a mansion but having straw as a roof top

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Problem is we aren't going to get a team of quality players, not with our budget. If he chooses to stay here, which I think is up in the air right now, JDT has to be realistic and adapt his management style to the calibre of player that's going to be available to him. I think he has partially achieved that, as we have played well at times this season and have been in the top six for the vast majority of the season, but he needs to really consider what he needs to change next season in regards to his coaching and tactical style, based on the players we have and are likely to be able to attract. There is a foundation here, but a lot of work to be done building on that - he can't do it without the recruitment team stepping up, though. He'll know that better than anyone, and if he doesn't believe in the recruitment team, I think it'll be a major factor in him walking away.

Agree..and what he has done to our side so far has worked some magic but he could do better by some basic game management coaching.. drill the boys in to time wasting and not allowing pressure to build up at the end of a game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

No one can be blamed for a wicked deflected own goal and someone you need to give your bonded a wobble There is not a manager in the world that can prevent that kind of goal - we didn’t lose enjoy your evening

It's not about the goal. It's the manner in which when we are under no pressure, we switch to 5 at the back then we invite pressure on ourselves yet again and wegot caught yet again. How that don't compute with some is mindblowing it really is...

• Like 6

Scott Wharton has been a disaster since January.  It was his screw up that started the break that caused the goal that forced us into the replay at Birmingham in the first place. It's nice that he's one of us, but he's simply not good enough for this level, forget the Premier League. Now his brother on the other hand ............

Scott should learn how to help out around Brockhall or drive the team bus or something if he wants to remain a part of things.

Edited by doctorryan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

I disagree, hes got the team playing well in the back and middle third. Should stick with it and find the right finishing ingredient up front. Think if we go off in a different direction could cause more harm than good imo.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

A great example Of hedges. He dilly dallys…

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Agree..and what he has done to our side so far has worked some magic but he could do better by some basic game management coaching.. drill the boys in to time wasting and not allowing pressure to build up at the end of a game

That and coming behind from losing positions. The former we were actually good at earlier in the season, so maybe there answer is already there somewhere, the latter has actually become worse this season than in previous seasons, so some major thought needs to go into that.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

I disagree, hes got the team playing well in the back and middle third. Should stick with it and find the right finishing ingredient up front. Think if we go off in a different direction could cause more harm than good imo.

I don't think we're really in disagreement. I'm not saying go in a totally different direction, just improve the things that haven't worked so well this season - of which there are a few. Nothing is ever perfect. I think it would be remiss to think we're simply a striker or two away from being a great team. I believe there's a lot more to it than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Burnley won't be 'on the beach' when they play us. They'll know how important it is to smash us and ruin what's left of our playoff hopes. Not to mention winning the Championship title at Ewood. Literally the worst outcome possible. The season is going to end as an absolute nightmare.

That's life but they will be back down soon , without Kompany....

• Like 1