BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Niall Ennis

18 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not a fan of one or two of the data points used, we need to remember it's just stats based off comfortably the best season of his career (could be a purple patch) and it's only League One....but, I feel a bit more confident about Ennis after watching that. To regularly rank in the top 10 (sometimes top 3) for his position in his league on a range of important metrics is encouraging.

On a free, presumably fairly low wages (this would be the kicker for me, if he's on 10k p/w or something like that then it's a big risk) and on a 4 year deal with a 1 year option, still quite young at 24 but has some experience...you can't really argue with that business. Sealed nice and early to give him time to adjust to the playing style, manager and his teammates. I'm not going to say I'm expecting immediate fireworks, and I can't say I want to risk him being our main man up top out the gate, we still need someone who has shown they can smash them in at this sort of level. But on the face of it, he seems a decent squad addition to compete for a regular goalscoring role.

The proof, as always, will be in the pudding. With him still having room for growth and perhaps needing time to adapt to the level, as well as with it being expensive to permanently buy established Championship strikers, I'd think a loan is our best bet of reliable goals in the middle. Cannon or Archer are the two firepower options (see what I did there?) I'd prefer in this regard, then we get a season to see if Ennis can deliver for us.

I think he can get between 6 to 10 goals next season would be good in his first season here and I would still like another main striker here to be our 15 to 20 goals striker. Its a low risk signing but someone who seems to fit our playing style already

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Apparently Ennis made 38 appearances but only completed 90 minutes 3 times. He often was taken off and regularly had little niggles.

I'd have been more concerned about that under Mowbray than I am under JDT. Seems more likely to only put players on the pitch when they're genuinely ready. Seen the benefits with JRC.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd have been more concerned about that under Mowbray than I am under JDT. Seems more likely to only put players on the pitch when they're genuinely ready. Seen the benefits with JRC.

The concern is more that if he becomes a really important member of the side, that if history repeats itself, he may then miss gametime that we dont want him to miss.

Plymouth fans are pretty universal in questioning his injury record. That doesn't seem to come from bitterness as otherwise they have been incredibly positive about his ability, they seem to rate him much higher as an all round striker than Hardie who scored more goals.

You look at the 38 league appearances and think, what are they talking about, but it seems that he only finished 3 or 4 games that he started, he had 19 sub appearances and he only played 44% of league minutes available. Lets hope that isnt the case here as with no money, I suspect that there will be a big onus on him considering the alternative is Gallagher who is very average and himself quite prone to injury.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The concern is more that if he becomes a really important member of the side, that if history repeats itself, he may then miss gametime that we dont want him to miss.

Plymouth fans are pretty universal in questioning his injury record. That doesn't seem to come from bitterness as otherwise they have been incredibly positive about his ability, they seem to rate him much higher as an all round striker than Hardie who scored more goals.

You look at the 38 league appearances and think, what are they talking about, but it seems that he only finished 3 or 4 games that he started, he had 19 sub appearances and he only played 44% of league minutes available. Lets hope that isnt the case here as with no money, I suspect that there will be a big onus on him considering the alternative is Gallagher who is very average and himself quite prone to injury.

If he becomes a really important member of the side, he'll be a good signing and one I'll be happy we've made.

What I'm saying though is I have some faith in JDT and his team to manage the player's fitness better, and hopefully that will be enough. If he kept getting lots of niggly injuries at Plymouth, but still played a lot of games, yet wasn't staying fit enough to complete many of them, it suggests to me that something is wrong on their training pitch, or that he was being rushed in when he wasn't ready.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 12:54, bluebruce said:

If he becomes a really important member of the side, he'll be a good signing and one I'll be happy we've made.

What I'm saying though is I have some faith in JDT and his team to manage the player's fitness better, and hopefully that will be enough. If he kept getting lots of niggly injuries at Plymouth, but still played a lot of games, yet wasn't staying fit enough to complete many of them, it suggests to me that something is wrong on their training pitch, or that he was being rushed in when he wasn't ready.

That's probably what has happened.

If he's their top striker then they'd want him back asap after an injury.

They needed every point they could get last season, given the ridiculous amount of points second and third got.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 01:19, roversfan99 said:

Dack credited JDT with getting him fitter. JRC has reaped the benefits. It's not time to panic yet regarding Ennis.

Also, as the window doesn't shut for another 2 months we might well sign another striker. 

• Like 2

On 30/05/2023 at 15:08, Tricky said:

so this is what Superbad's McLovin is up to these days

Haha yeah, bless the guy but flippin hell the presentation is awful and makes it really hard for me to watch for more than a few minutes. Somebody with some content creating skills could really do with helping the guy out a little 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Hopefully he can hold up the ball. We really need someone to do that.

I read some comments on their forum and retention of the ball in difficult areas was something they rated him very highly at. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beginning to get excited about seeing this lad.

Rumours of excessive boozing are just rumours so far as I am concerned but JDT just caught himself from besmirching Plymouth when explaining Ennis absence from the Austria tour.

In essence, Rovers fitness regime is dramatically more demanding than Plymouth's.

If Ennis achieved the goals and assists of last season, how good will he be when properly fit?

11 minutes ago, philipl said:

Beginning to get excited about seeing this lad.

Rumours of excessive boozing are just rumours so far as I am concerned but JDT just caught himself from besmirching Plymouth when explaining Ennis absence from the Austria tour.

In essence, Rovers fitness regime is dramatically more demanding than Plymouth's.

If Ennis achieved the goals and assists of last season, how good will he be when properly fit?

We didn’t look any fitter than the Accy lads on Saturday.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Accy had about 8 trialists all running around like headless chickens, scything down our players, trying to make a name for themselves (especially in second game). They'll never get another chance to play a team like Rovers in their careers in all likelihood. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Accy had about 8 trialists all running around like headless chickens, scything down our players, trying to make a name for themselves (especially in second game). They'll never get another chance to play a team like Rovers in their careers in all likelihood. 

Or train at facilities like ours.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Many on this board commented last season that Rovers were markedly fitter than under Mowbray.

If you had posted a comment like this on August 6th after the WBA game I would be really worried but after two 60 minute kick abouts against Stanley at the beginning of July...

• Like 2

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, philipl said:

Many on this board commented last season that Rovers were markedly fitter than under Mowbray.

If you had posted a comment like this on August 6th after the WBA game I would be really worried but after two 60 minute kick abouts against Stanley at the beginning of July...

As much as I complained about the tactical choice to use as few subs as possible, the fact that so many of our players lasted 90 minutes so often is testament to JDT and the fitness regime, as is the fact we (I believe?) used the fewest number of players in the Championship across the whole season while doing so.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1