BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Niall Ennis

I see a few comments from Tomasson seems to have upset the snowflakes on PASOTI...🤣

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/niall-ennis.124094/

"Blackburn are one of those annoying clubs that have forgotten that, but for a very rich benefactor making them a pet project at some point, they would still be like us, a decent sized provincial club getting by on limited resource and clever management without the luxury of buying in the things that now make the 'difference'.

Talking like they have always been that cut above the rest with some sort of history of top level success and are up there with the Barca standard of institution."

Touchy bunch,they have had a swipe from everything from Shearer to the Town itself,must be the Sea Salt..WTF!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PilgrimKenny said:

Hi All, 

Argyle fan in peace, it's interesting to read your thoughts on Niall Ennis and what he'll bring to your team. From my perspective, I couldn't really see what he brought to Argyle until Steven Schumacher took over. He joined us in Jan 2020 on a permanent deal from Wolves with good praise about him but for me, whilst he played the majority of the games that season scored 6 in 24 appearances which when you take into consideration our form at the time was good going. We were optimistic about the future for him.

Then in opener v Rotherham, he pulled up with his Hamstring in the warm up and this kept him out until December 2021 where he only managed 4 in 28 in all competitions. This was also at the time Steve Schumacher took over from Ryan Lowe and we didn't change our tactics when Lowe departed, so my comment about about not seeing what he brought to the team made sense. I'd also point out here that we've had 2 or 3 head physio's in Ennis' time at the club which may have some impact on his recovery. 

This season under Steven Schumacher, I've really rated Niall Ennis with what he has brought to the team with his direct running, his ability to hold up the ball and his determination we've seen a different animal but I also think this is down to SS managing him well as part of his rotation policy. He made 19 starts and appeared 19 times as a sub and undoubtedly had his best season and got his deserved move to Rovers. His form in the last 6 games for us was incredible and got us over the line with promotion but let's not forget that you will often see terrible ball control with it bouncing off his foot more often than not, snap shots no where near the goal. Selfishness which in the championship you can't afford. 

I read a comment here that Rover's training regime is better than Argyle's, that remains to be seen. Last year our team never gave up and found an extra gear in the last 20 minutes of games with a staggering 24 goals scored, compared to Rovers 15. Our defence also only conceded 11 in the last 20 minutes whereas Rovers conceded 17. I think Niall Ennis is one of the those players where if you keep him fit, he will do you well. For me it's all about how you manage him. If JDT expects 90 minutes every week, you're not going to get that based on the evidence I've seen in the last 2 and a half years with us. 

I'm not going to speculate on his leisure activities as everyone's free to do what they want in their downtime. Am I disappointed that he didn't re-sign with us? I'm undecided. In Ennis you will have a player who, when fit, will give you his all. But on the flip side, I'm also not too bothered about him leaving as I believe there is a better calibre of striker out there, it's just finding the bugger. 

Anyway, I wish you all the best for the upcoming season (not against us) and it will be interesting to keep on eye on Niall's progress. 

Kenny

Thanks for that, mate. 

I’ll speculate about his “leisure activities”. 🤣From what I’ve read he likes a night out, so it may well be he’s enjoyed his post-season time off a bit to much rather than it being anything your club have done, hence why he’s currently not at the fitness level required. 

Good luck for the season, for what it’s worth I think you’ll stay up. 

4 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I see a few comments from Tomasson seems to have upset the snowflakes on PASOTI...🤣

"Blackburn are one of those annoying clubs that have forgotten that, but for a very rich benefactor making them a pet project at some point, they would still be like us, a decent sized provincial club getting by on limited resource and clever management without the luxury of buying in the things that now make the 'difference'.

Talking like they have always been that cut above the rest with some sort of history of top level success and are up there with the Barca standard of institution."

Touchy bunch,they have had a swipe from everything from Shearer to the Town itself,must be the Sea Salt..WTF!

One of my closest friends is a Plymouth fan.

He's very touchy if you ever mention that they've basically just existed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Who gives a shit what Plymouth fans think ? 

I care, it's information (biased or otherwise) to sift through until we can form our own judgement.

Have to chuckle though that ol' Pilgrim isn't bothered about him leaving, despite stating a paragraph before that he basically carried them to promotion at the end of the season.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PilgrimKenny said:

Hi All, 

Argyle fan in peace, it's interesting to read your thoughts on Niall Ennis and what he'll bring to your team. From my perspective, I couldn't really see what he brought to Argyle until Steven Schumacher took over. He joined us in Jan 2020 on a permanent deal from Wolves with good praise about him but for me, whilst he played the majority of the games that season scored 6 in 24 appearances which when you take into consideration our form at the time was good going. We were optimistic about the future for him.

Then in opener v Rotherham, he pulled up with his Hamstring in the warm up and this kept him out until December 2021 where he only managed 4 in 28 in all competitions. This was also at the time Steve Schumacher took over from Ryan Lowe and we didn't change our tactics when Lowe departed, so my comment about about not seeing what he brought to the team made sense. I'd also point out here that we've had 2 or 3 head physio's in Ennis' time at the club which may have some impact on his recovery. 

This season under Steven Schumacher, I've really rated Niall Ennis with what he has brought to the team with his direct running, his ability to hold up the ball and his determination we've seen a different animal but I also think this is down to SS managing him well as part of his rotation policy. He made 19 starts and appeared 19 times as a sub and undoubtedly had his best season and got his deserved move to Rovers. His form in the last 6 games for us was incredible and got us over the line with promotion but let's not forget that you will often see terrible ball control with it bouncing off his foot more often than not, snap shots no where near the goal. Selfishness which in the championship you can't afford. 

I read a comment here that Rover's training regime is better than Argyle's, that remains to be seen. Last year our team never gave up and found an extra gear in the last 20 minutes of games with a staggering 24 goals scored, compared to Rovers 15. Our defence also only conceded 11 in the last 20 minutes whereas Rovers conceded 17. I think Niall Ennis is one of the those players where if you keep him fit, he will do you well. For me it's all about how you manage him. If JDT expects 90 minutes every week, you're not going to get that based on the evidence I've seen in the last 2 and a half years with us. 

I'm not going to speculate on his leisure activities as everyone's free to do what they want in their downtime. Am I disappointed that he didn't re-sign with us? I'm undecided. In Ennis you will have a player who, when fit, will give you his all. But on the flip side, I'm also not too bothered about him leaving as I believe there is a better calibre of striker out there, it's just finding the bugger. 

Anyway, I wish you all the best for the upcoming season (not against us) and it will be interesting to keep on eye on Niall's progress. 

Kenny

Thanks for the insight. Bit of a mixed message but always good to get information on the type of player we are getting.

You imply that you think he deserves his move and that he will do well if he stays fit, and that is for a team that finished 7th and at least aims to get into the play offs. Yet for a team who has come up and I presume doesnt have huge amounts of money, you dont seem bothered that hes gone and think you can do better which doesnt really add up. Is it purely fitness reasons that causes that swing from thinking he can do well at this level to not being bothered?

I think he will be rotated here as we have Sam Gallagher and want another striker on loan so I dont think we will expect him to play every minute.

From what I have read, it seems like your fans are gutted that he has left, having read your forums. Its just the injuries that cause concerns.

6 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

It's a totally valid point.

If you completely disregard all of the trophies and success we'd achieved before Uncle Jack was anywhere near involved with the club.

Whereas Plymouth...have just existed?

6 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We were always a far bigger club than them even before Jack walker. Deluded

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

God that was an amusing read, thank you!

From Wikipedia:

'The city of Plymouth is the largest in England fielding a League club to have never hosted top-flight football.'

🤣🤣🤣

Meanwhile, our record without that benefactor is still 2 top flight titles and 6 FA Cups. Most successful town team in England.

Throwing in the benefactor, another top flight title, League Cup (after he died), 12th in all-time top-flight table and I believe 10th on all-time trophy table.

Whilst I think they've spent about half, maybe more, of their history in or below a tier where we've only spent 6 seasons ever. We don't think we're a Barca, but we certainly know we're not a Plymouth!

• Like 7

Clubs like that (I.e plodded around in the lower leagues for a hundred years) can suddenly build crowds because they have big catchment areas - Bristol City another.

Ergo that in itself makes them ‘big clubs’ in their eyes - they ain’t.

• Like 4

I remember reading Andy Morrison's book, that was a good read, especially what he used to get up to in Plymouth. He's a good lad who's been through some very tough times. Wish he'd had more of a chance at Rovers.

They do seem incredibly touchy, no idea why. I think Jon Dahl has possibly just not expressed himself very well, no big issue. Bit more worried that we seem to have signed someone whose pedigree doesn't seem that impressive, but let's give the fellow a chance.

• Like 1

Alan Grafton, a guy who has been heavily involved in the City supporters’ club for many years, happened to be in the tunnel as we lined up before a home game. He told me I looked like a man possessed and that I appeared to be twice the size of the other players. He said that I was intimidating the opposition because my body language was saying: ‘Look at this fucking lot, they’re fucking shitting themselves. There’s not a man among them and we’re gonna fucking batter them.’ He added that none of the team we were playing took me on or looked me in the eye. At the same time our younger players grew a few inches taller and stuck their chests out because they had me leading them out. They had no fear because they knew I would sort out any problems. If that was true so much the better, because it could only benefit us as a team. Fulham had run

Morrison, Andy. The Good, the Mad and the Ugly The Andy Morrison Story . Fort Publishing Ltd. Kindle Edition. 

Yeah, we could do with him right now

• Like 1

Having read some of the very bizarre perspectives of the Plymouth fans on their forum, I get the impression that Ennis was likely carrying an injury for a big chunk of last season, given he didn't start a lot of games.

This is also lining up with the fact he has not travelled to Austria so he can work on fitness and recovery.

Also remember that he just won league one so he's no doubt had a few nights out.

Notwithstanding Devonian sensibilities and JDT speaking in his 4th language, I am pretty clear the message is Rovers have different physical demands and fitness standards.

English could be JDT's 5th language thinking about it...

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1