BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Looks like Aaron Ramsey is about to join Cardiff. Big statement of intent.

Hasn't played more than about 25 games for 4 years and will be 33 at Christmas

Looks like a player on his way down, and will eat up much of their wage budget for the sake of nothing more than nostalgia.  Even the Wales fans now think he has lost what he once had.

I think its a wonderful signing  😉 

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Blimey, I'd have Aaron Ramsey all day long to run the midfield and teach our youngsters a thing or two. 

I don't want to speak ill of those who are no longer with us, but it has the feel of a Peter Whittingham type signing, fantastic player in his day, but those days are gone and wages will be higher than his worth to the team

Edit - wish I could think of a different players name to use as an example instead of Whittingham, but my brain has gone blank

Edited by KentExile

Just now, arbitro said:

Cardiff are under a transfer embargo which prevents them paying a transfer fee for new players but they can sign Ramsey on presumably big wages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65998488

yep, embargo is due to not paying the fee for that player who died in a plane crash

When Rovers were under an embargo, we were not allowed to sign anyone for decent wages either (Sasha Petchi & Fode Koita anyone), has that rule changed?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Blimey, I'd have Aaron Ramsey all day long to run the midfield and teach our youngsters a thing or two. 

Signings like this are thin on the ground these days. Once good players don't tend to drop down a division and keep playing. MLS, China, and now Saudi Arabia are popular destinations. Or they retire as they have plenty of money.

It reminds me of Rovers signing Gordan Cowans. He was superb. 

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

I don't want to speak ill of those who are no longer with us, but it has the feel of a Peter Whittingham type signing, fantastic player in his day, but those days are gone and wages will be higher than his worth to the team

Edit - wish I could think of a different players name to use as an example instead of Whittingham, but my brain has gone blank

I'm not speaking ill either but Aaron Ramsey is a far better player than Whittingham ever was. Is Rooney going to Derby a better example?

5 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm not speaking ill either but Aaron Ramsey is a far better player than Whittingham ever was. Is Rooney going to Derby a better example?

Definitely agree with the bold point, but basing my opinion of if he will be a success on the basis of Welsh fans over the past couple of years, they seem to think his form (and attitude/work rate) has dropped off a cliff as of late

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Definitely agree with the bold point, but basing my opinion of if he will be a success on the basis of Welsh fans over the past couple of years, they seem to think his form (and attitude/work rate) has dropped off a cliff as of late

He did somewhat lose his way when he went to Juventus. Covid probably played a big part in that though. 

Bellamy went to Cardiff at the end of his career too didn't he? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

yep, embargo is due to not paying the fee for that player who died in a plane crash

When Rovers were under an embargo, we were not allowed to sign anyone for decent wages either (Sasha Petchi & Fode Koita anyone), has that rule changed?

The EFL seem to change the rules regarding embargoed clubs on a regular basis. I can't find how long the contract is for but reports say he has turned down a lucrative move to Saudi to sign for Cardiff.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12920332/aaron-ramsey-wales-captain-and-former-arsenal-midfielder-set-for-cardiff-city-medical-after-rejecting-saudi-arabia-move

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Think he’s finished as a player even at this level (soon find out). But interesting that a non parachute club is presumably shelling out big wages.

Their chairman was crowing about selling all their season tickets by the time the season starts, think they allocate 18k or so...selling 8k would probably mean paying in buttons like us 🤔 

• Backroom

This needs to end. £45 is the cheapest possible away ticket price at Leeds this year. Absolutely farcical. 

Waggot better be charging them robbing bastards £47 when they come to Ewood.

IMG-20230714-WA0035~2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madon said:

This needs to end. £45 is the cheapest possible away ticket price at Leeds this year. Absolutely farcical. 

Waggot better be charging them robbing bastards £47 when they come to Ewood.

IMG-20230714-WA0035~2.jpg

To do that he would have to charge our fans the same, or come up with a scheme around the rules.

Heard an interesting statistic today. 90% of teams promoted from the championship have bee. In receipt of parachute payments or would have breached the P&S limits had they not gotten promoted. 

sad stare really what the tv deal mongering for the premier league has meant for the championship 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Heard an interesting statistic today. 90% of teams promoted from the championship have bee. In receipt of parachute payments or would have breached the P&S limits had they not gotten promoted. 

sad stare really what the tv deal mongering for the premier league has meant for the championship 

And the brains behind the structure knew that would be the outcome and wanted it to be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

And the brains behind the structure knew that would be the outcome and wanted it to be.

Financial fair play is more about preventing Newcastle becoming man city or another Jack Walker than it is about “fair play”. The championship highlights that above all else. Really hope we can buck the odds, like Luton, and get up, but the reality is life in the premier league, under current FFP, only dooms us to eventual regulation. FFP only ensures no one can continually compete with the top 6. Just ask Leicester 

• Like 4