BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

10 minutes ago, Mars Rover said:

I thought Travis started last season well and seemed to be running on fumes for the last couple of months. With better rotation (see: strength in depth), I reckon he can keep playing to a higher standard throughout the season.

Was definitely weary the second half. Buckley can provide cover and hopefully keep him fresh. 

1 minute ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Sounds like it was a good team performance and deserved win👌

How did Tronstad fair? I imagine he's still getting used to the pace of the English game

he tried. not the best conditions. not the best game from him but its early doors. preferred Adam

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

What a cracking good game.

Love the way Rovers can move it around crisply and all players comfortable on the ball.

Some immense performances out there especially Hyam, Carter and Pickering plus Brittain when he came on against a real handful in that West Brom attack.

Travis superb, Szmodics got better and better as the game went on. Tronstad - a really tough welcome to Championship football and will get to the pace.

Absolutely delighted for Markanday and Leonard.

This side will also get much better and we showed we can certainly create goal scoring chances. Leonard knows where to get into the right places. 

Had Leonard put away the first miss it could have been goal of the season in match day 1

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OsloRover said:

If there's one thing we learned today it's that we must not consider selling Travis.

I agree we need him in the squad, but can't forget healso started last season very well by scoring a few. 

We just need more consistency from him

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

I'm very content with our midfield options. Travis, Wharton, Sammie, Buckley, Trondstad (who I'm sure will grow into the pace) and Garret means strength in depth!

I thought JDT's substitutions were perfect today. I am also happy that we kept pushing till the very end (9 additional minutes, mind!).

Speaking of which, the added-added time means more total minutes on the squad throughout the season. It is evident that having the right numbers of players available is important!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

First impressions from Ewood (5 pints and ??? Baby Guinness’ deep):

They looked a team full of athletes at kick off and I was nervous.

Some solid play to break the WBA press. We will get beaten by others’ press, but today and against many teams in this league, we will play through it effectively. That’s a real skill and the result of a lot of hard work. Some of the play was excellent.

Give Szmodics the armband.

Harry Leonard is a Championship striker. He leaves today with a hat trick if he was on a run of five games (working through the nerves) and I can see him scoring a lot of goals this season if he’s given a regular starting berth. Naturally gifted.

Markanday will be an asset this season. Got muscled around a lot but his press and positioning was very solid today.

We are very disorganised when broken against. Defense loses shape when the opposition breaks against us and that’s how we conceded. We could’ve conceded at least two more because of this.

On balance, we were much better than WBA today, which means we’ve done good work over pre season.

Tronstad is a very tidy player.

Adam was a bit too careless at times today.

Trav worked hard but I don’t think he’s suited to this style of play. Lovely assist to Markanday, even still.

Ewood had a great atmosphere. If you can, get on Ewood as much as you can allow.

Fair assessment m.  Thought most of the disorganization on defense was due to poorly timed turn overs in the middle of the park. Markanday, Dolan, Trondtad, and surprisingly Wharton all guilt many occasions. 

• Like 3

The lads seem to get energy from jdt, as opposed to Tony, whose stoic displays on the sideline sucked all the energy out of them. 

High marks all around. Of our 11, Dolan tries so hard, but his energy is undermined by tendency to turnovers. he’s our weakest, imo. 

• Like 7

Great start. When our passing game fully clicks, we're going to be a real handful. I can seen us dominating a few teams at Ewood this season.

There were some excellent passages of play today, passing with purpose, forward and quick. JDT's work with the squad on that front, evident. We haven't played this kind of football for a long time. It isn't fully there yet, but I like what I have seen of it today.

We just need that cutting edge in the final third. We played neat and tidy up until it got to the wings where it often broke down, or we failed to get shots away.

Travis was superb and was involved in everything. He looks much improved.

Tronstad made a few wayward passes, but improved as the game went on. My initial thought is that he is a better version of Corry Evans.

Impressive display from Leonard, unlucky not to come away with a hat-trick. The promise is there, not everybody has the instinct to get into those positions. There's more to come from him.

Composed performances from Carter and Hyam at the back too.

Finally, that fist pump from JDT at the end. Yes, Jon! it's you, the players and us fans who are in this together.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 9

What negatives can we as fans take from todays game? Absolutely none! It was absolutely solid across the pitch even though wba had speed and big lads Rovers stood their ground worked hard and played to a system which worked well. Big shout on Leonard and Markanday who were both superb and deserved their goals. Travis led by example and was supported well through the middle.

Happy with the points we move on to Rotherham 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cherry Blue said:

Fully agree with goosburger re A Wharton. That through ball to Szmodic (I think) was world class. His quick passes are outstanding and at times in a direction no one expects. Just the odd loss of ball in cramped areas. 

yeah he's young and perhaps his patchy pre season has not helped so hopefully can iron out a few of the more sloppy moments 

• Like 2

Delighted with the result today.

Travis mom for me with Hyam, Carter and Pickering not far behind

Leonard worked his socks off and with a bit more composure would have had a hat trick, but that experience will do him the world of good.

Walsall in mid week, an opportunity for the like of the Wharton brothers and Ennis some game time. Wharton is class, we all know that and one through ball for Leonard was brilliant, but he did look a little rusty.

Another week to bring in a signing (or two) hopefully.

Also great to see big Brad make an appearance today 👍👍

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Not doom and gloom. We need reinforcements.  That costs money.  We can't put all the pressure on an untried 19 year old no matter how good he can be

Totally missing the point Iv said we need signings it’s clear we do but the way some fans have got on it’s as if the current crop are league 1 standard - today proved that wrong

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Travis was receiving, turning and passing on very well today and much quicker than previously.

Trav starts every season well when he's is fresh problems usually start once he starts feeling the toll.

• Like 2