BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

42 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

I thought they were brilliant yesterday, I was really impressed. Leonard coming deep to win the ball was refreshing. Pleased for him and markanday who had a bad time of it at Aberdeen. Leonard should've had a hatrick it not at least the first one. All positive. I'd start Leonard again mid week and hopefully he can score again and go on a bit of a run. Still few players short but can't have any complaints about that performance.

I would start Ennis to be fair. He needs to Get up to speed as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

We have forgotten to change the default season to 23/24…🤦‍♂️

Change this drop down selection…

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/1047435/blackburn-west-brom?tab=voting

Hopefully @StubbsUK or @Roth can sort it for us soonest…👍🏻

IMG_3949.jpeg

Cheers Ian, done now.

• Like 1

Yeah I thought the lack of height up top especially against two absolute units in adjeyi and kipre would cost us. Anything going forward would come straight back but to be fair we just passed them off the pitch. Also the passing around the back line seemed alot slicker and actually had purpose, especially with them trying to press and win it back and getting nowhere near. 

31 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Loved it yesterday, there were quite a few grumblings that I overheard from fans on the way down about not looking forward to it, especially one the teams were announced, but I was anything but as proper football was back & I knew that despite some bad weeks recently, our current first 11 looked at least competitive as it wasn't that dissimilar from last season.

I really enjoyed it, it was a proper football match with two committed teams in dodgy conditions which demanded a lot on day 1 of a new season. Rovers' height disadvantage was obvious and a concern, but boy they coped well and adapted; for example I don't think one corner was played straight into the box as that type of ball would probably have been meat & drink to them, so we used our heads & better fitness levels to pull them out of position more via short corners.

It was a slow start from us, w/o there being any real danger, then bam! 2 great goals in 2 minutes, both coming from good harrying, then good decision making, then calm finishing. That understandably knocked the wind out of them, they appeared shell shocked and we could've had another 1 before HT, seeing the half out easily.

2nd half saw them press us more intensely & we struggled to cope a little, played some dodgy passes around the back & ultimately conceded from a poor pass out from Pears to Carter a panicked pass from him to Markanday who, having initially done really well, then dwelled on it too long & was robbed. But to be fair I think that was the last real threat from them. Good & well-timed subs from JDT shored us up and put us back on the front foot, and we really ought to have scored another couple. 

Great afternoon all round, good & involved crowd, v pleased with our first outing. Will put player ratings on when I find the link!!am a big fan of the added time being properly added as it should ease time wasting & let's face it, we pay good money to be entertained, though I'm sure it will bite us at some point!

It took me a while, hope it works

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/results

Manually select season 23/24

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, M_B said:

Yeah, but that's not bad after 106 minutes of obvious intense scrutiny. 

It was a battling performance from Rovers to see us over the line  after 104 minutes. The Blackburn End was rocking when Leonard scored the 2nd. If we can play like this consistently over the season, we will be in the mix for the top 6.

10 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Well, in that case, @bazza, make it 16,742; because, although paid for on my season ticket, I couldn't occupy my new seat in JWU yesterday. And won't be able to until, hopefully, no later than after the international break early next month.🤞

If you’ve bought a season ticket Roverboy, you’re in the official attendance whether you turn up or not. I wasn’t there either, having bought tickets for the World Cycling Championships in Glasgow in February well before the fixtures were out. Currently in place for the men’s road race.

I’ll be back for the Walsall game!

• Like 1

On holiday in Portugal at the minute and was delighted to find a bar with our game on live yesterday. A win I certainly wasn't expecting but one, on the balance of play, was well deserved.

My thoughts - 

Carter and Hyam dovetail really well and I always thought they had the measure of the West Brom forwards

Travis - superb vision for the first goal and very good without the ball. 

Sammie - what a grafter. Sets the tone all over the pitch.

Tronstad - I like him. Gets it and gives it, no fannying about and can play on the turn.

Leonard - great finish and tireless. Could (maybe should) have had a hat trick but poles apart from the lacklustre Vale.

JRC - decent but my God he was knackered 2nd half and the introduction of Brittain there really shored things up.

Markanday - nice finish but looks lightweight for me

Dolan - some nice touches, a good outlet at times but ultimately lacking with the final ball. Very good leading the press though.

Pickering - was targeted throughout but handled it well. He won't play against forwards as ineffective as Asante every week though, he's a bad un.

Pears - solid enough, could do nothing with the goal.

A.Wharton - some shoddy stuff but some truly world class stuff. What a player we have.

JDT - how good was the celebration at the end? Continues to over achieve with the players at his disposal.

Really happy with that, West Brom will be up there at the business end this season so it's a good 3 points.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Polky said:

I normally sit near the away dug out, but was closer to the Darwen End yesterday.

Why was Corberan sent off?

We're close, 2nd row. First booking was for yapping I think. He'd already slammed a water bottle down, but after that he ran out of his box to retrieve the ball quickly to get it back in play. 

That's when he got the 2nd yellow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I thought Leonard was a prime example of that.  Even in injury time, he was running the cb into the ground - and looked like he could do for another half hour. 

Maybe that's the benefit of some younger players.  They're like Duracell bunnies. 

Made me smile. Our new nickname. As well as "The Rovers" we are "The Duracell Bunnies". I'm tempted to go on Wiki to add it.🐰

43 minutes ago, alexanders said:

A risk-reward policy. When it works we create lots of rooms and goalscoring opportunities by drawing the opposition high up the pitch. 

Exactly! It's hard to watch at times but it does set the scene for our counter-attacks..

One thing I did notice yesterday was the Job Brittain done when he came on. Sarmiento was pacey and carries the ball well. I find Brittain very composed on the ball, He dropped his shoulder to dummy the winger and that little bit of play opened up the whole pitch. He does this very well, Himself and JRC will have big roles to play this season.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

If you’ve bought a season ticket Roverboy, you’re in the official attendance whether you turn up or not. I wasn’t there either, having bought tickets for the World Cycling Championships in Glasgow in February well before the fixtures were out. Currently in place for the men’s road race.

I’ll be back for the Walsall game!

Well, give 'em a cheer for me, then, @only2garners !

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't think it will ever happen but JRC ahead of Brittain would work I think.

Constant talks between JDT and JRC about moving forward in games has been on the agenda for months. Bitgain and JRC on the same channel  could be very effective. And can see hit happening over the course of the season

I mentioned yesterday that I think there has been a lot of nonsense over the last few months about Travis not being a Tomasson player. That's now 40 of 46 available league games (suspended for one last season) that he has started in. He is by no means a standout in a negative sense when on the ball, albeit it's not his main asset, but it also goes under the radar how important he is when we press, often leading it with Szmodics. He is also our captain so we need his leadership.

I would also dovetail that point with the situation with Buckley. Forget the made up nonsense about being seen as a £10m player etc, he seems to still be well down the pecking order as shown again an unused sub yesterday in favour of Travis, a new signing and Wharton who has missed most of pre season. He has been not picked many more times when available compared to Travis and has really stagnated since Tomasson came in with the decision to move him back into a deeper position causing many problems with him struggling to adapt with the lack of time you get there. 

Obviously we need Buckley still as we are light on numbers and he does have ability, but I think he might struggle to get past any of the 3 ahead of him whilst they remain available. I hope Tomasson considers him as an alternative to Szmodics as I think he is better further up the pitch, his assets when thriving under Mowbray were best utilised further up and whilst he struggles in front of goal, he can also press well and he can pick out a through ball when further up despite his struggles to dictate games from deeper.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Polky said:

I normally sit near the away dug out, but was closer to the Darwen End yesterday.

Why was Corberan sent off?

As others have said, for bad-mouthing the officials, esp the Fourth Official.

That, and keeping proper stoppage time are the first indications of much-needed - imo - changes brought in by Howard Webb as Referees' Supremo (not his actual job-title, obvs!).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

We have forgotten to change the default season to 23/24…🤦‍♂️

Change this drop down selection…

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/1047435/blackburn-west-brom?tab=voting

Hopefully @StubbsUK or @Roth can sort it for us soonest…👍🏻

Yep, should be sorted now ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

There goes the neighbourhood eh ?😆

@StubbsUK suggested we try the JW after we enjoyed the Girona experience, so we are testing it out. For a small fee we can be persuaded to return to the Riverside. Yesterday’s weather made it a sound choice for sure…

I prefer the view from the JW Upper tier, much better sense of what's going on and for £2 more than the Riverside it's a no-brainer for me ... I just wish there were fewer steps to get there 😄

• Like 4