BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

If Tronstadt and Wharton are so much better, why are we in such a shit run of form and look wide open a lot of the time?

I've said for a few weeks that Travis reading of the game is better than those two. There's more to playing midfield than being able to 'take a ball on the half turn'.

Travis wasn't a major issue for our 'style of football' last year. It was our lack of goals towards the end of the season which cost us. 

• Like 3

Southampton away, there were no bright Sparks. It was awful. The only thing nearly resembling one was the tenacity of Travis when he came on. 

Even if he's not been playing lately, he would have been needed this season. When the club is aiming to save the odd hundred thousand here and there, it really is dire times. We're effectively operating as though we're in administration. 

I think we'll survive this season, but if this complete lack of funding continues into the summer, we're as good as down next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think we'll survive this season, but if this complete lack of funding continues into the summer, we're as good as down next year.

This. Alarm bells are clanging everywhere.

I suspect we will be weaker by the end of January, and then weaker again but filled with potential by September.

Edited by Hasta

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Letting Travis go is not the disaster some are making out. Tronstad is better

It’s being able to use that money effectively that’s the worry. Will it all go back to the playing department? History says no 

I was saying to my dad the other day - the trick the owners pulled when they allowed Broughton / JDT to think that the money saved with Ayala / Dack / Brereton-Diaz etc leaving would be freed up in the wage bill, only to then slash the wage bill by the same amount was disgraceful.

JDT on the captain's armband: "Dom Hyam will take over as captain and Sam Szmodics as vice-captain. Two lads who have been playing at a high level and always put the team first."

Too much to read into this that Trav wasn't putting the team first anymore? Either way I don't think many would have put him in the team ahead of Wharton and Tronstad. Yes you need depth and back up, but Trav clearly didn't want to bide his time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

JDT "Ayari isn't a Travis replacement"

That's because Garrett is, and the next in line from the academy replaces Garrett's position in the squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alex l said:

JDT on the captain's armband: "Dom Hyam will take over as captain and Sam Szmodics as vice-captain. Two lads who have been playing at a high level and always put the team first."

Too much to read into this that Trav wasn't putting the team first anymore? Either way I don't think many would have put him in the team ahead of Wharton and Tronstad. Yes you need depth and back up, but Trav clearly didn't want to bide his time.

A very unsubtle dig

• Like 1

I'm glad that JDT has confirmed that the Buckley loan and now Travis are at least partly motivated by finances and freeing wages up. As some of us suspected all along but were told they were purely footballing decisions for the betterment of the team. 

They're having us on and I think JDT is being as transparent as he can be about it.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Not impressed

I wouldn't be surprised if Brighton have let us have him for cheap (as his initial loan failed) with the assurance that he'll be used to spell Moran, who we're in danger of running into the ground. 

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That's because Garrett is, and the next in line from the academy replaces Garrett's position in the squad.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm glad that JDT has confirmed that the Buckley loan and now Travis are at least partly motivated by finances and freeing wages up. As some of us suspected all along but were told they were purely footballing decisions for the betterment of the team. 

They're having us on and I think JDT is being as transparent as he can be about it.

Didn't Broughton and Waggott both say in the summer players would have to be moved out to bring others in due to finances?

Travis wasn't happy and asked to leave in the summer and again in October.If Travis had been starting every week we wouldn't be loaning him to Ipswich

When was the last time Travis started a game in his preferred role as a holding midfielder?

Edited by islander200

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Because it doesn't suit your narrative?

Because he's clever in interviews. See the bus comments.

Also, Tomasson was almost mocking of Waggots "our aim is to survive" at the start of the season. Saying along the lines of that may be his aim but we are more ambitious. However he now uses it as "everyone knows our aim is to survive" now that we are doing shite. 

So knowing that this wouldn't be a popular move, I dont think it's unreasonable to think that he's stretching the truth in his quotes. Even if they are true, as the club captain will be returning to Ewood in he summer (with or without JDT in situ) it's a bit unprofessional to come out and say it.

But you are correct I don't know for sure.

And in true Rovers style, get ready for the inevitable Tronstadt injury in January.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

No fall out but then aims a dig saying Hyam and Szmodics always put the team first. Stop lying Jon.

Hardly lying is it? Imo, Travis only looked like a captain during February last year and at no other time.

He’s capable but that’s about it imo. He’s one player that I’m happy to ‘replace’ with Garrett (who does the same job and imo marks better without the needless gobbiness at refs) or an incoming.

On Ayari, I have no opinion tbh. Bit underwhelmed.