BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Could it be that Yates is lined up to replace Ennis as the second striker option and McGuire would replace Gally as the target.

With the three at the back, I’d say SS would thrive in that role Moran played (failed at) last night. 

Pears

Phillips.  Hyam. Wharton

JRC   Sondre.  Wharton.    Hedges

Szmodics

Yates             Gally

Still have Dolan, Brittain, Pickering when fit and Siggy for the wing back roles.

Carter when fit, ORiordan for CB

Buckley when fit, Ayari and Garrett for CM

Still missing a striker even if we keep Ennis and Leonard….?

If we play 352 id really hesitate to move Szmodics back. He needs to be up top for me. Hes a top top striker in a two.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Reading between the lines and JDT’s insistence on experience, I think Yates and Phillips are the ones lined up and McGuire is additional if we sell Gally. 

I dont think thats right. We wont buy Yates without selling Gallagher. I think McGuire is a cheaper alternative to Yates should Gallagher go.

Also, if hes planning on playing wing backs and a back 3, either Chrisene was poorly recruited or surely he should play there. Playing people like Sigurdsson, Dolan and Hedges (he should be back by now so unsure if hes had a setback anyway) there is asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I missed most of the game last night, Gallagher didn't look overly bothered when he scored, not sure what his demeanour was for the rest of the game? 

Wonder if he is unhappy and wants to move to Ipswich (couldn't blame him) or if he just didn't feel the need to celebrate much after scoring past lower League opposition?

We've been burned in the past by keeping unhappy players. And it's probably too much to expect a decent plan off the clowns in charge.

• Like 1

Yates would enjoy playing in our team with our attacking quality he would thrive. 

McGuire Seems like someone Rovers like and scouting. 

Can see it being a busy last 3 days for Rovers for ins and outs. 

Don't know what happens Wharton"s Palace bid. 

• Like 1

Gallagher did well last night, but I can't ignore how many times i've rooted for him and ended up disappointed.

Yeah, he runs a lot and puts in effort... but his touch is shite, he's bad in the air, can't hold the ball up well and just doesn't have that natural striker's instinct. It's rare he pulls off a performance better than a 6/10.

We've had years worth of proof that he doesn't get you goals at this level, and you need goals from a number 9.

It's no coincidence, that he suddenly looks good, and it just so happens to be against League 2 opposition.

He'll probably get injured again in a few weeks... so take the £2m, free up his wages and buy the yank I say.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

Gallagher did well last night, but I can't ignore how many times i've rooted for him and ended up disappointed.

Yeah, he runs a lot and puts in effort... but his touch is shite, he's bad in the air, can't hold the ball up well and just doesn't have that natural striker's instinct. It's rare he pulls off a performance better than a 6/10.

We've had years worth of proof that he doesn't get you goals at this level, and you need goals from a number 9.

It's no coincidence, that he suddenly looks good, and it just so happens to be against League 2 opposition.

He'll probably get injured again in a few weeks... so take the £2m, free up his wages and buy the yank I say.

Completely agree.

I think the lack of striker we have now makes most people think he's the answer.

When in reality the above is the situation - mostly a 6/10 and not a goalscorer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yates would enjoy playing in our team with our attacking quality he would thrive. 

McGuire Seems like someone Rovers like and scouting. 

Can see it being a busy last 3 days for Rovers for ins and outs. 

Don't know what happens Wharton"s Palace bid. 

I hope they are very busy behind the scenes, every base covered for every scenario. Otherwise what are they being paid for

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Selling Wharton for £22m does 2 things.

1. Covers our £11m FFP deficit for this season, avoiding further sales and a summer transfer embargo.

2. Pretty much covers our FFP permitted losses for next season, meaning we can have a good go at the PL.

We should not be wanking it up the wall on mediocre players in an already lost season. They did tell us this before the season started.

Oh and the Geordies + TV money will pay the bills so Waggott will be a very happy man today.

I'm confused here. So you are saying that immediately upon Wharton's sale the sum of £11 million has to be siphoned off just to cover the "FFP deficit" without which we would be forced into further sales or a summer transfer embargo?

How does that add up?

Why is it that this club seems to be under such a constant immediate pressing need to reduce costs, wages and significant player sales to stave off this threat when so few other Championship clubs face it?

Between 2017 and 2021 we had no major sales (other than the pitiful fee we got for David Raya) yet were never in breach of FFP, never placed under any restrictions. Fast forward a few years and despite still being a Championship club, despite having presumably a significantly lower wage bill (much smaller and younger squad) and despite a few sales and significant cost cuts last summer we now need £11 million to stave off the threat for the summer?

It just doesn't add up and i don't believe it.

Is the current 'model' really one that is FFP non-compliant and reliant on a sale of £10 million+ of players every couple of years to remain out of trouble?

Likewise if Wharton was to suffer injury or a move break down and we don't get a massive transfer fee I doubt it would make one iota of difference - we would not be placed under an embargo in the summer either way.

If the Wharton money is used 'towards' FFP then that surely means that the money the owners don't need to pump in to meet existing running costs can instead be pumped into recruitment and new signings?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think thats right. We wont buy Yates without selling Gallagher. I think McGuire is a cheaper alternative to Yates should Gallagher go.

Also, if hes planning on playing wing backs and a back 3, either Chrisene was poorly recruited or surely he should play there. Playing people like Sigurdsson, Dolan and Hedges (he should be back by now so unsure if hes had a setback anyway) there is asking for trouble.

I think Yates is a loan and the one lined up either way. McGuire is a purchase and ergo more expensive so will only happen if Gally is sold.

I think Hedges and Dolan could easily play as wing backs in that team along with Brittain, JRC, Pickering and Chrisene. There’s lots of cover there.

I don’t know where Siggy plays tbf. He worked hard last night but I agree was completely ineffective in the wb position. He couldnt do any worse than Moran in that floating 10 position he played last night though…

Edited by Paul Mani

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

I feel the same about Gally, but for me last night and against Huddersfield in part, is why we need him, or someone like him, I think the tackle on the defender to setup Tronstadt for the 4th was everything we've been missing in recent weeks. 

His presence alone keeps at least one defender on their toes. 

It's EXACTLY like in WWII when the Germans kept the Tirpitz in Norway, the Allies had to allocate forces there just in case, using up valuable resources and threatening our shipping lanes. He's a fleet in being. Exactly like it. 

I need another coffee.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Yesterday's win against cannon fodder will blind some supporters (not on here) and some club officials that the need for reinforcements isn't as dire as it was. That's how clueless people work

It won’t fool anyone mate. It’s whether they decide to be ‘blissfully unaware’ that’s I’m worried about…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm confused here. So you are saying that immediately upon Wharton's sale the sum of £11 million has to be siphoned off just to cover the "FFP deficit" without which we would be forced into further sales or a summer transfer embargo?

How does that add up?

Why is it that this club seems to be under such a constant immediate pressing need to reduce costs, wages and significant player sales to stave off this threat when so few other Championship clubs face it?

Between 2017 and 2021 we had no major sales (other than the pitiful fee we got for David Raya) yet were never in breach of FFP, never placed under any restrictions. Fast forward a few years and despite still being a Championship club, despite having presumably a significantly lower wage bill (much smaller and younger squad) and despite a few sales and significant cost cuts last summer we now need £11 million to stave off the threat for the summer?

It just doesn't add up and i don't believe it.

Is the current 'model' really one that is FFP non-compliant and reliant on a sale of £10 million+ of players every couple of years to remain out of trouble?

Likewise if Wharton was to suffer injury or a move break down and we don't get a massive transfer fee I doubt it would make one iota of difference - we would not be placed under an embargo in the summer either way.

If the Wharton money is used 'towards' FFP then that surely means that the money the owners don't need to pump in to meet existing running costs can instead be pumped into recruitment and new signings?

Although it is being made out to be a formality, the court case may well not go in their favour. There is no way anyone can be certain, as let's face it, the authorities would simply say, no need to do this any more.

I guess we will know for sure on 12/03/2024 but my guess is, it will be blocked and a message will come out to dress it up in some way to make it look like everything is rosey. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJW said:

Could they do a buy now pay later deal ? Agree £25m let us keep him rest of seasaon and they pau July 1st or something

If Football Manager is anything to go by, no they can't. 

The actual money changing hands can be done on the 'never never' (i.e. we'll pay you £25m, but it'll be £500k every 6 months until the amount is reached"), but the full value of the transfer goes on that current transfer window's books.

Chelsea et al won't be short of the cash to buy Wharton, but like Arsenal with the Raya loan (with a mandatory option to buy in the next transfer window) they simply might legally be hamstrung.

Edited by Exiled_Rover

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Selling Wharton for £22m does 2 things.

1. Covers our £11m FFP deficit for this season, avoiding further sales and a summer transfer embargo.

2. Pretty much covers our FFP permitted losses for next season, meaning we can have a good go at the PL.

We should not be wanking it up the wall on mediocre players in an already lost season. They did tell us this before the season started.

Oh and the Geordies + TV money will pay the bills so Waggott will be a very happy man today.

In theory, point 2 is correct, but will it actually happen?

History tells us that it probably won’t.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Completely agree.

I think the lack of striker we have now makes most people think he's the answer.

When in reality the above is the situation - mostly a 6/10 and not a goalscorer.

Its not that "hes the answer" but that hes an average Championship striker (not the awful player you usually like to make out) and even if we had a couple of million to sign another striker, and thats a huge if and a big part of the issue, it wouldnt be that easy to even find another average Championship for that in a couple of days.

Hes not going to get you promoted but he is a decent player at this level.

Hes not a goalscorer but he will chip in whilst offering a lot else.

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Yates is a loan and the one lined up either way. McGuire is a purchase and ergo more expensive so will only happen if Gally is sold.

I think Hedges and Dolan could easily play as wing backs in that team along with Brittain, JRC, Pickering and Chrisene. There’s lots of cover there.

I don’t know where Siggy plays tbf. He worked hard last night but I agree was completely ineffective in the wb position. He couldnt do any worse than Moran in that floating 10 position he played last night though…

Dolan is not a wing back, he showed his defensive weaknesses even again League 2 opposition. He is stifled going forward and any half decent Championship wide man would have a field day, he is an attacker. Hedges was trialled as a wing back last season and it didnt work.

Swansea wont be interested in loaning Yates out. Only selling him to make their money back. Would make no sense.

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

Although it is being made out to be a formality, the court case may well not go in their favour. There is no way anyone can be certain, as let's face it, the authorities would simply say, no need to do this any more.

I guess we will know for sure on 12/03/2024 but my guess is, it will be blocked and a message will come out to dress it up in some way to make it look like everything is rosey. 

You'd imagine if the Indian courts blocked the money then the Venkys would have to sell the club.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

I would say it's probable but not a given that funding will be approved on the adjourned hearing.

Still absolutely no way to operate though, you've no idea where you stand. Unless the issues with the Indian Authorities can be resolved asap they need to sell up.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Anything on this, or more an inkling?

An inkling. The magic number is 25M and they’re at 22M. They’ve this morning signed a right back and a striker, so Adam will be their priority. 

• Like 1