BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea (h) - 28/10/23

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’ve had loans from Premier League clubs and they’ve been hopeless. What was that left back called Mowbray signed from Liverpool ?  Then there was Harper from West Brom.  Sent back early.

Thats the idea of loans (try, before you buy). If you buy straight away then it is a reflection on the recruitment staff if the purchase fails. The level that purchase comes from is irrelevent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

Thats the idea of loans (try, before you buy). If you buy straight away then it is a reflection on the recruitment staff if the purchase fails. The level that purchase comes from is irrelevent.

We tried the left back as I recall - then we bought him !  Did he ever play for the first team after that ?

Edit - Sam Hart. I just looked him up. We bought him outright, I was wrong about the loan deal. He’s at Sutton United now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rigger said:

Is Tel a loan ?

If not i wonder why not, Hirst was.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’ve had loans from Premier League clubs and they’ve been hopeless. What was that left back called Mowbray signed from Liverpool ?  Then there was Harper from West Brom.  Sent back early.

Sam Hart?

You edited your post as I was typing!

Edited by wilsdenrover

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Then we had that Irish midfielder on loan from City. Did nothing at Ewood but ran us ragged for Oldham in one match at Boundary Park.

Byrne wasn't it? Signed by Coyle hardly played for us. Season after given the freedom of Oldham because Mowbray was scared of Oldham's right back

36 minutes ago, rigger said:

Because the recruitment staff think he is good enough to be a Rover. I hope that they are right.

So do i and he obviously knows where the net is a B level.

I suspect though that this was a last ditch cheap punt with the loose change left in the budget and nothing else affordable on the horizon with time ticking out.  It's a bit odd that anyone would expect much yet seeing as he is just filling a hole left by Vale and probably wouldn't be near first team action if Ennis and Leonard were fit consistently.

Of course i'll reserve the right to change that opinion if it comes to light they've spent quite a bit on him without having a look on loan first !

• Like 2

On 26/10/2023 at 00:20, Dreams of 1995 said:

You know what Tyrone, this is something that is missed at all levels of football imo. A lot of people assume the loudest and most determined player should be the captain. It doesn’t always work out. Like you say, they end up alienating some players

I think people look at your Roy Keane type player and think that is the archetype captain. Towards the end of his career he rubbed too many people up the wrong way and went out rather unceremoniously

I was playing for a team called AFC Wulfrunians a few years ago. They’re a local team but really well ran imo. The captain at the time was horrible on the pitch. You’d make a bad touch and his arms were in the air, screaming all sorts at you. It got me down, and got to a point where I didn’t want to make a mistake. So I started playing the easy ball every time. My old man used to make it down every now and then at that time. I remember him telling me that it wasn’t rugby and I could make a forward pass. That’s when it dawned on me that I’d allowed this bloke to ruin my own game. It’s a strange feeling, but when you’re on the pitch the wrong character can really affect you 

I lasted one more season and left. 

I don't think Keane was ever that sort of captain to be honest. He bollocked people for not trying. Ronaldo is more the player that throws the hands in the air over mistakes and no-one would have said he was a loud aggressive player.

Is Hyam’s injury a way to get Adam Wharton back into the team?

Leo

JRC.            Carter.         Hill.             Pickering

Tronstad.      Wharton 

Brittain.                  Sammie.                  Dolan

Leonard/Ennis (one half each)

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Leo

Tronstad.      Wharton 

That's such a weak team it's hard to understand why we're not struggling near the bottom.

Losing Hyam is a blow without a doubt when we're so short on quality and numbers. Scott Wharton had a good second half at Millwall but has been a liability for a long time. 

I wouldn't move Hill - he's been excellent at fullback since he arrived

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Leo

Tronstad.      Wharton 

Jrc is one of our most dangerous players when in his current midfield role, dropping him back to rb wouldn't be good at all. Ideally S Wharton will step up and find his form

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

That's such a weak team it's hard to understand why we're not struggling near the bottom.

Losing Hyam is a blow without a doubt when we're so short on quality and numbers. Scott Wharton had a good second half at Millwall but has been a liability for a long time. 

I wouldn't move Hill - he's been excellent at fullback since he arrived

I think it’s because the championship is full of weak teams.

I’d be hesitant about moving Hill too, I just wondered if it was a better option than having S Wharton at CB (whilst also getting A. Wharton back in the eleven).

I don’t attend games so that’s why I asked 👍 

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wharton or Hill then for the foreseeable future.

Really hope Wharton takes his chance if he gets it. Even though dodgy passing out from the back got him and us into trouble far too much last season, it's not as though he can't cope with that side of the game. He showed under Mowbray that he can play, and he should benefit from having more options now the rest of the team has gotten used to how JDT wants to play.

His lack of pace might end up being the bigger problem, but I still think he has the tools to be a success at Rovers.

• Like 1

Hyam likely to be out for 'weeks' according to Tomasson. On Tuesday I noticed Scott Wharton warming up in the third minute and it was apparent when I looked at Hyam he was struggling. On a few occasions I saw him visibly wince in pain as he landed after an aerial challenge. I couldn't understand why he stayed on for the entire first half when he was clearly struggling.