BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea (h) - 28/10/23

Who said anything about "overestimating the players playing elsewhere"? That was made up. It's true there's some very ordinary teams in the Championship but it's still a weak Rovers side even compared to those of the recent past. It's a tribute I think to Tomasson that he's keeping our heads above water with the very limited squad at his disposal.

Anyway, losing Hyam for some time is a setback we could have done without and I agree S Wharton should be given another chance in his place. He needs to settle down, cut out the silly errors that blighted him last season and get back to something like the form of 18 months or so ago

My scoreline prediction for the Millwall game was unusually for me spot-on so maybe I'm back on form too, and I'll go for the same result this time

Rovers 2 Swansea 1

• Like 1

You said:

That's such a weak team it's hard to understand why we're not struggling near the bottom.’…

But we aren’t, therefore many other teams must then be worse, ergo you must be overestimating them if you think we should be at the bottom (not discounting the JDT effect).

Of course that doesn’t take away from the fact that this Rovers team is much poorer than many other sides of ours in days gone by, luckily that doesn’t matter in the here and now when you are in a league of crap teams and journeymen footballers.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You said:

That's such a weak team it's hard to understand why we're not struggling near the bottom.’…

But we aren’t, so many other teams must then be worse, ergo you must be overestimating them if you think we should be at the bottom.

Of course that doesn’t take away from the fact that this Rovers team is much poorer than many other sides of ours in days gone by, luckily that doesn’t matter in the here and now when you are in a league of crap teams and journeymen footballers.

Pretty much - as I've often said, you watch them warm up in-front of the Jack Walker Stand and just think "bloody hell, these lads are cloggers". 

Sadly that's the nature of the league - and it's why when a player like Norton-Cuffy stands out midweek you immediately think "who's he on loan from?"

Edited by Exiled_Rover

You said:

"overestimating the players playing elsewhere"

I don't know very much about other teams' players, so I couldn't possibly comment 

And good players don't necessarily make a good team

ergo, your comment is not relevant

I don't agree it's a poor division and we are a poor team. A young team, an evolving team, a team needing an extra sprinkle of experience and star dust, then yes.

The clues in the word team. We work our socks off for each other. We were in the top six for months last year. We beat a couple of PL teams away in the cups. Only inexperience, a small squad and Diaz dropping off a cliff after January goosed our chances.

We had much more expensive squads under Coyle, Bowyer and Kean and often couldn't buy a win.

Watching West Ham win in Europe last year, Villa score 4 away, Newcastle batter PSG, Arsenal winning away in Seville, Liverpool scoring 5 midweek, Brighton winning in Europe, City in the last 8 of the CL most years, demonstrates the strength of the PL far and wide. The overspill  for teams below them and into our division is hugely beneficial.

Players, pitches, medical, dietary, stats and data standards have all improved dramatically this last twenty-five years.

I think we are getting better and better. I believe we are much more learned and knowledgeable this year. The technical requirements to play possession based football from your own penalty box should not be underestimated. As more teams play in this manner standards will further improve. 

A win against Swansea and we have 22 points and are possibly back in the top six. I'm much more confident this season than last. COYB.

Edit - spelling.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I know, as you’ve now made it clear you know nowt about the other teams, which makes thinking our side should be at the bottom an even more odd opinion.

I said I don’t know very much - which isn’t nowt - and I said with our weak team we could be near the bottom, not at the bottom. Please stop making things up. 

6 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Doesn't sound great to me .....

Screenshot_20231027-130227.png

Tomasson has confirmed Hyam will 'not be back next week' but wouldn't be more specific on when he might return, though said it would not be before the international break. Scott Wharton is in line to start against Swansea City after doing well at The Den.

"Dom is out which is a blow for the team," Tomasson said. "He can play with pain and he'll do that for the club and the fans but he can't play injured."

Ah bugger.

Oh well. S Wharton did eventually start performing better as he grew in to the game. Hope he is able to be solid at the back tomorrow 

On 26/10/2023 at 07:30, NeilInBristol said:

Good try but I think the EFL would notice if we fielded 12 players 

I wasn't fielded 12 players but if Hyam was fit he would start now he is out injured Wharton plays. 

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’ve had loans from Premier League clubs and they’ve been hopeless. What was that left back called Mowbray signed from Liverpool ?  Then there was Harper from West Brom.  Sent back early.

Sam Hart was that player. 

9 hours ago, rigger said:

Telalovic came from a Bundesliga club. What level he was playing for, at that club, was upto their manager.

when Farke was at Gladbach he had in the first team squad training and coming on in 3 games. Might not been many minutes but he still made those appearances 

• Like 1

I'd play Scotty in place of Hyam. If he can't do tippy tappy football then he must clear his lines, after all that's what Hill did when closed down. He hoofed it over to the right wing to Brittain who scored a great goal. That "hoof"was celebrated as "a great pass". 

I hope Benson has taught Leo to catch. I hope Siggy has recovered from whatever it was and is back to his best. I want to see more of Ennis.

Cummon Rovers! You can win this one.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Scott Wharton deserves his chance.

Otherwise a settled side where possible.

I disagree with some of the comments about this being a weak team / squad. It’s been entertaining and as it clicks we are moving in the right direction.

4th win, 2-1 Rovers.

Yeah also agree, we're scoring a lot of goals, have exciting young talent coming through from our academy, playing some good football, putting together cup runs.. I mean it's about the best we've been since a few years before we got relegated from the premier league.

If we can't get behind this team I wonder what it will take. I get that Venkys and the CEO need to go, but putting them to one side this is what we have.

I know that the posters who are saying we are terrible cloggers etc are the ones who always say we are terrible cloggers every season irrespective of manager, players, league or situation but still, thought it was worth saying on the whole I think JDT et al have put an entertaining team together.

Outside of the premier league fans up and down the country would love to be in our position.

• Like 1

rovers are playing some cracking football,no one can argue with that though without investment on the playing side in january we`ll come up short again,im`e finding it very frustrating that venkys gave mowbray a **** load of money but jdt has`nt had half what moggadon had,you never know,there might be a miracle in januart and venkys give jdt the funds he needs

10 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah also agree, we're scoring a lot of goals, have exciting young talent coming through from our academy, playing some good football, putting together cup runs.. I mean it's about the best we've been since a few years before we got relegated from the premier league.

If we can't get behind this team I wonder what it will take. I get that Venkys and the CEO need to go, but putting them to one side this is what we have.

I know that the posters who are saying we are terrible cloggers etc are the ones who always say we are terrible cloggers every season irrespective of manager, players, league or situation but still, thought it was worth saying on the whole I think JDT et al have put an entertaining team together.

Outside of the premier league fans up and down the country would love to be in our position.

What ? Owned by the Chicken Chokers ? I’d say about 1% might love to be in our position.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, bazza said:

I'd play Scotty in place of Hyam. If he can't do tippy tappy football then he must clear his lines, after all that's what Hill did when closed down. He hoofed it over to the right wing to Brittain who scored a great goal. That "hoof"was celebrated as "a great pass". 

I hope Benson has taught Leo to catch. I hope Siggy has recovered from whatever it was and is back to his best. I want to see more of Ennis.

Cummon Rovers! You can win this one.

We won the game with a long ball up the pitch.

Hopefully it was a light bulb moment for our lads.

Imagine what would have been had they just nicely passed out from the back.