BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought it was just me. Tried one interview and it was a banal collection of cliches largely consisting of ‘Blackburn’ ‘you know’ ‘togetherness’, ‘Hedgy’, ‘Pearsy’ etc etc 🙄 

I’m back to swerving all their pre and post match tripe like I’ve been for every Venky appointment, JDT aside.

I may just have a low tolerance for this kind of thing, but JDT was a breath of fresh air when it came to a manager speaking his mind and not treating the fans like idiots. It's one of the reasons I had respect for him even when results weren't good - at least he was honest. It felt like he was 'one of us' regardless of whether I agreed with how he was setting us up on the pitch at times. He's probably the only Venky manager we've had who I actually trusted, which is why I knew he wasn't destined to be here very long. 

For what it's worth though, and I think you've said similar in the past, I ultimately couldn't care less what a manager says in interviews or pressers if results on the pitch are good. I can ignore the media stuff, but I can't ignore the results or our position in the table. So in the end that's all I'll seriously judge Eustace on.  

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought it was just me. Tried one interview and it was a banal collection of cliches largely consisting of ‘Blackburn’ ‘you know’ ‘togetherness’, ‘Hedgy’, ‘Pearsy’ etc etc 🙄 

I’m back to swerving all their pre and post match tripe like I’ve been for every Venky appointment, JDT aside.

I haven’t listened to a single interview yet. I get the impression, he has been place there to simply toe the line and take the spotlight off others.

I was told on Friday by a respected National press reporter, that he does not like talking to the media and is very uncomfortable doing so.

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

For what it's worth though, and I think you've said similar in the past, I ultimately couldn't care less what a manager says in interviews or pressers if results on the pitch are good. I can ignore the media stuff, but I can't ignore the results or our position in the table. So in the end that's all I'll seriously judge Eustace on.  

I have. Think I’ve been on here too long, I have a fair few catchphrases. 😄

But yes, it doesn’t matter one bit if he gets results, so crack on, John, but if you don’t mind I won’t waste my time listening to you either.

3 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

It's refreshing to see an opinion framing the current situation in positive light. 

I always look at everything in a positive light but that's doesn't mean I am not concerned about only 2 wins in 17 games

I do feel that people asking for Eustace to be sack is very harsh and unwarranted. Eustace needs time on the training pitch to get his overall message over. We have seen plenty of signs of this just not full game performance apart the Newcastle game

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Millwall and Plymouth games come before then, they are make or break games.

Already made that Tyrone thanks. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lraC said:

I haven’t listened to a single interview yet. I get the impression, he has been place there to simply toe the line and take the spotlight off others.

I was told on Friday by a respected National press reporter, that he does not like talking to the media and is very uncomfortable doing so.

I can understand that, public speaking isn’t for everyone.  What happens on the pitch speaks more to me than anything the managers says. If we were playing well I could forgive someone who isn’t a glib bullshitter. But we aren’t playing well with any consistency for any length of time. JDT was good in front of the cameras at first but once the rot set in he lost interest I think. Mowbray was beyond dull. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

But when we kept saying JDT had to change the way he was playing and be slightly more direct you were adamant that we should keep playing tippy happy possession football. You said we didn't have the players to change style and this is how you wanted to watch your team play.

Now you seem to be saying that, with the payers we have, we can only expect a boring style of football. 

Yes I did cos I don't think that suited Adam Wharton who is your best ball player with the ball at his feet. So why wouldn't you play a style that's suits him and Szmodics. 

We are now playing more direct now like many want us to but cos results haven't change People aren't happy still 

I want my team to play good attacking football whilst being hard to beat and defensive solid. I did say JDT could adapt his style of play by small changes like not playing it out every time or taking no risks at the back. JDT wouldn't change. 

when Did I say we can only expect a boring style of football? I haven't. The Newcastle game was excellent overall performance, Norwich game we were good and PNE we did well. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

The problem is the squad is unbalanced. It's not all shite, but is lacking in certain areas. Looking at the Milwall thread, Im thinking you can't play a midfield two combination from Buckley, Ayari and Moran as we will just be lightweight and get overrun, but unless Tronstad is fit we have no options. A problem entirely of our own creation. 

Yet again a top 10 PL team Moran and Buckley played very well there. Ayari also. 

I would go for Ayari and Buckley against Millwall unless Tronstad is back. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

JDT clearly had stubbornly downed tools and that was creating animosity in the squad. Broughton has recruited poorly and has been part of the January transfer balls-ups. 

Yet JDT was happy to say Yes to these players coming in. 

Broughton can only recruited what he can within the budget he has been given. I wonder what we could have done with some of the Wharton's money being spent in January. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Broughton can only recruited what he can within the budget he has been given. I wonder what we could have done with some of the Wharton's money being spent in January. 

Based upon his last fee purchases (Leo and Semir), I feckin dread to think.

Think Broughton is a busted flush and rightly saw - IMO, flopped in every window.

Feel pretty sure he will have the best garden in his neighbourhood!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Based upon his last fee purchases (Leo and Semir), I feckin dread to think.

Think Broughton is a busted flush and rightly saw - IMO, flopped in every window.

Feel pretty sure he will have the best garden in his neighbourhood!!!

We have already had this GB debate time after time, goes nowhere, we don't agree so lets leave it instead of clogging the Message board up

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have already had this GB debate time after time, goes nowhere, we don't agree so lets leave it instead of clogging the Message board up

That's a bit rich from you Chaddy about clogging the MB!

You stated you wondered what Broughton would have done if allowed to spend some of the Wharton money - well I simply gave you my opinion based upon hard evidence and if that's too unpalatable then perhaps be careful what questions you pose.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So if it's "absolute bollocks" then which period under the venkys other than bowyers where we consistently signing better players? Mowbray avaraged one successful signing roughly every couple of years id say and he had more m9ney to spend at times! 

That would average as 2.5 successes in his time.

He had good money to spend on 3 players. One was a massive success in Armstrong and generated a huge profit. Brereton was a success and would have generated some profit had the owners not intervened. Gallagher a poor signing for the money albeit he hae contributed, just not close to £5m worth.

Aside from that, they were all a million or less so it wasnt constant huge spending. You look at Dack, Kaminski, Pickering, Rothwell, Dolan, Stewart Downing. Players like Smallwood and Paul Downing in League 1.

The loans of Elliott, Reed, Adarabioyo, Harwood Bellis, Van Hecke, Khadra etc.

Under Broughton, Szmodics and Tronstad undoubtedly, have to say Hyam too. Otherwise...

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

That's a bit rich from you Chaddy about clogging the MB!

You stated you wondered what Broughton would have done if allowed to spend some of the Wharton money - well I simply gave you my opinion based upon hard evidence and if that's too unpalatable then perhaps be careful what questions you pose.

It was part of my post to poster. Hardly clogging the MB. 

We all know what your opinion is on GB. 

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again a top 10 PL team Moran and Buckley played very well there. Ayari also. 

I would go for Ayari and Buckley against Millwall unless Tronstad is back. 

But against Swansea, who played a typical championship game rather than leaving lots of space and being very attacking, they were overrun and poor. If Travis was here he would be the first name on the team sheet Tuesday, but he isn’t because of JDT and Fraudton.

15 minutes ago, Hasta said:

But against Swansea, who played a typical championship game rather than leaving lots of space and being very attacking, they were overrun and poor. If Travis was here he would be the first name on the team sheet Tuesday, but he isn’t because of JDT and Fraudton.

If everyone was fit I would be tempted to play JRC, Tronstad and Buckley with Szmodics and Gallagher upfront with Brittain and Hedges as wing back and back 3 of Wharton, Hyam and Carter.

On Travis, he clearly left cos of lack of game time and wasn't happy where JDT would play him. Fair enough, I can understand that from Travis point of game but since JDT has left we have learnt that he was in talks with Sweden since December, surely Rovers knew this and him left was leaving was always on the cards. If a manager/head coach wants to leave then it is probably best they  do. I can understand if they were going to PL club or top end Championship club. 

"Cos results haven't changed people aren't happy still."

Weird how people question tactics when we repeatedly fail to win football matches.

Even if Travis wanted to leave, it was an idiotic move to allow it, especially knowing the likelihood of pushing Wharton out the door.

As it is, we are in a situation whereby with one injury, we are accompanying a fairly lightweight midfielder in Buckley (who couldn't get in Sheffield Wednesdays team) with weak and flimsy young number 10's who we borrowed to make the numbers up.

If Szmodics had wanted to leave, would we have authorised a loan to Leeds or Southampton?

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3

7 points from the drop when he came in, 1 now and we've mainly played teams around us. I do feel we are more organised defensively, but that was a very low bar.

Point a game not enough, can he set up a team to go for 3 points rather than 1 and hope? Tuesday will tell and by Saturday tea time may well define him. Here's hoping he gets a Newcastle reaction rather than a Birmingham away.

Funny how the team only really give their all when the bbc cameras are there putting them in the window for the next transfer window. 

I dont think moran has put in two decent performances in a row since he joined and never shows any real desire to win when things aren't going our way, same for brittain. 

The manager has to really shake the starting 11 up for the next game(well as much as he can anyway when considering how light we are in some positions) but I'd rest Mkfadzean and get koumetio in there somwhere. 

Probably should also throw the oppo a curve ball and scrap the 3 at the back crap for a game or 2.were just way to predictable, especially as we now relly on Szmodics for most of our goals and attacking play

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Any news or video links on 'f---gate'?

Seems very quiet if it happened.

I flagged it yesterday and I am fully prepared to be told different. I’ve actually been thinking about it, because there was no replay and there is every chance it was a “f*ck’s sake” or a very long “f******ck.”

In the moment, I was pretty sure but without that replay of it, can’t honestly tell you either way.

At least under Eustace we seem to still be in a game when we go behind, that's a definite improvement on the Tomasson white flag approach. 

Also, looking at the more positive aspects, we seem better at set pieces at both ends. At the Newcastle game in particular, the defending at set pieces was good, got to admit I was fearing the worst with the size of the Newcastle team and the quality of delivery, but we coped admirably. 

We've also scored 2 set piece goals already under Eustace. 

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The. Newcastle game was effectively a “ free hit “ against a team that wanted to play football. Nobody expected us to win. No real pressure, just like West Ham away and Leicester away last season.  Tuesdays game will be the diametrical opposite of that. We have too many ” knife fight “ players going into a “ gun fight “.

Bit generous to say we have "knife fighters"! Moran comes equipped with a water pistol. And Walstedt has a supply of custard pies. 

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

That would average as 2.5 successes in his time.

He had good money to spend on 3 players. One was a massive success in Armstrong and generated a huge profit. Brereton was a success and would have generated some profit had the owners not intervened. Gallagher a poor signing for the money albeit he hae contributed, just not close to £5m worth.

Aside from that, they were all a million or less so it wasnt constant huge spending. You look at Dack, Kaminski, Pickering, Rothwell, Dolan, Stewart Downing. Players like Smallwood and Paul Downing in League 1.

The loans of Elliott, Reed, Adarabioyo, Harwood Bellis, Van Hecke, Khadra etc.

Under Broughton, Szmodics and Tronstad undoubtedly, have to say Hyam too. Otherwise...

You can't really compare the tenures - until his last year here, Mowbray was allowed to splash the cash. 

You've just dismissed a whole load of players as 'they were all a million or less', yet Broughton is hung for Wahlstedt. 

Markanday cost £500k. Edun cost similar. Samuel the same.

He had a budget that JDT and Broughton could only dream of - they've never been allowed to bring in an Ayala, or an Elliot / Reed / Harwood-Bellis / Adarabioyo (we don't fish in that top-level PL loanee pool anymore). Never been allowed to spunk £400k on their mate's son in Pears. Never been allowed to bring their smoggie friend, Downing, in on considerable wages after allowing him to miss all pre-season. 

Broughton and JDT spent less than £4m on three very good Championship players in the first year (Szmodics, Hyam and Brittain), then the taps were turned off. It's as simple as that and we're seeing the results on the pitch. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If Szmodics had wanted to leave, would we have authorised a loan to Leeds or Southampton?

If they'd have stumped up a suitable loan fee, undoubtedly.

I think some of you are clearly missing how dire our finances are and how much they're dictating our transfer business. We loaned out Travis and sold A. Wharton in the same window - that's not a decision by the Director of Football and the Head Coach. 

• Like 1