BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Eustace - our head coach

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

At least under Eustace we seem to still be in a game when we go behind, that's a definite improvement on the Tomasson white flag approach. 

Also, looking at the more positive aspects, we seem better at set pieces at both ends. At the Newcastle game in particular, the defending at set pieces was good, got to admit I was fearing the worst with the size of the Newcastle team and the quality of delivery, but we coped admirably. 

We've also scored 2 set piece goals already under Eustace. 

If he keeps us up he'll set us up as your typical mid-table Championship side - physical, good at set pieces, defensively sound and hard to beat.

Hardly aspirational football, but that's the budget they've set. 

• Like 3

Jury's still out. 

Made the right substitutions on Saturday but we don't have many strings to play on at the moment. Surprised that he chose Buckley and Moran and not Ayari for the latter, as he had a real positive game versus Newcastle. Moran has made some errors earlier in the season so half guessing he was due a start or we would have to pay Brighton.

We struggle to keep a hold of the ball, and although there's hard work now we look lost when going forward. A lot of players look nervy and afraid to make mistakes so it's hoofball and a lot of adventurous passes instead of waiting for the right time to cross/pass. Against Newcastle we had little to lose so that's the difference from playing in the league. Just hope Eustace can instill some confidence in the group as it's not just about defending. 

Needs to get more out of Szmodics.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You can't really compare the tenures - until his last year here, Mowbray was allowed to splash the cash. 

You've just dismissed a whole load of players as 'they were all a million or less', yet Broughton is hung for Wahlstedt. 

Markanday cost £500k. Edun cost similar. Samuel the same.

He had a budget that JDT and Broughton could only dream of - they've never been allowed to bring in an Ayala, or an Elliot / Reed / Harwood-Bellis / Adarabioyo (we don't fish in that top-level PL loanee pool anymore). Never been allowed to spunk £400k on their mate's son in Pears. Never been allowed to bring their smoggie friend, Downing, in on considerable wages after allowing him to miss all pre-season. 

Broughton and JDT spent less than £4m on three very good Championship players in the first year (Szmodics, Hyam and Brittain), then the taps were turned off. It's as simple as that and we're seeing the results on the pitch. 

Again im not doubting that Mowbray had more but it was not the lavish spending some would have you believe. But either way, I dont think our recruitment can be seen as MORE successful under Broughton, its been mainly dross through the door, although obviously there are mitigating circumstances. 

Szmodics is an outstanding signing. Tronstad good, Hyam decent (ranging from very good last season to poor this season) and Brittain at a push average. Everyone else between abysmal and underwhelming.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Again im not doubting that Mowbray had more but it was not the lavish spending some would have you believe. But either way, I dont think our recruitment can be seen as MORE successful under Broughton, its been mainly dross through the door, although obviously there are mitigating circumstances. 

Szmodics is an outstanding signing. Tronstad good, Hyam decent (ranging from very good last season to poor this season) and Brittain at a push average. Everyone else between abysmal and underwhelming.

The guy spunked 12 million on Diaz and Gallagher. 

If that isn't lavish then I don't know what is.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Made the right substitutions on Saturday but we don't have many strings to play on at the moment. Surprised that he chose Buckley and Moran and not Ayari for the latter, as he had a real positive game versus Newcastle. Moran has made some errors earlier in the season so half guessing he was due a start or we would have to pay Brighton.

I totally get why Eustace played Moran on Saturday, I would have done the same, he looked good on Tuesday night. But, Newcastle didn't harry and press like Swansea, he had time in that game. To be fair to JE he hooked him at half time, I doubt he'll start again.

If this is another Morton situation, supposedly, that he has to be played, then that's another poor indictment of the state we're in - add it to the list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Groundhog said:

I totally get why Eustace played Moran on Saturday, I would have done the same, he looked good on Tuesday night. But, Newcastle didn't harry and press like Swansea, he had time in that game. To be fair to JE he hooked him at half time, I doubt he'll start again.

If this is another Morton situation, supposedly, that he has to be played, then that's another poor indictment of the state we're in - add it to the list.

Not another morton  situation..just another Jeromesque agent making deals to the detrimental effect of out beloved club.

Venkys out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Groundhog said:

I agree. Newcastle was a game where we had a lot less pressure though. We're set up now to make fewer personal mistakes and take a lot less risks. Considering that, it's quite a feat to be able to do what Moran did in the first 20 minutes of the game at Swansea. I can't remember which game it was, but he made bad mistake earlier in the season as well and shook it off well - but also no apologies or regret shown so would let him start on the bench.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Just to underline the poor January window, John Fleck is out for the season after playing just 15mins or so for us. 

Edit: I see this news has been posted in another thread.

Just when you think it can’t get any worse,  incomprehensible signing. Absolutely desperate ! How did he ever pass the medical ? 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ABBEY said:

Not another morton  situation..just another Jeromesque agent making deals to the detrimental effect of out beloved club.

Venkys out

This is the problem with loanees.Thay don't have any relationship with the club other than transactional.

Just waiting for the season to end so they can go back to their old club or  a different one.

Don't show the passion needed to get us out of the relegation scrap we're in.

Not true of all but true of many.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just when you think it can’t get any worse,  incomprehensible signing. Absolutely desperate ! How did he ever pass the medical ? 

It was just bad luck that a player with a plate in his leg following breaking that same leg twice both very recently has injured the same leg again.

• Like 2

It’s looking a grim task to pull us out the mire. He has shored up the back line but on the ball it’s as poor as it has been all season.

I don’t think it’s Eustace fault by any means. Without Adam Wharton there is nobody capable of creating something.

You look at the bench last night and nobody who can change the game or get us playing a different way. The squad is devoid of any pace, power or individuality. Just conveyer belt children that have been trained to pass it 6 yards to the next guy.

Our only hope might be to bore teams to death and nick one from a set piece in these last 10 games.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roverblue said:

It’s looking a grim task to pull us out the mire. He has shored up the back line but on the ball it’s as poor as it has been all season.

I don’t think it’s Eustace fault by any means. Without Adam Wharton there is nobody capable of creating something.

You look at the bench last night and nobody who can change the game or get us playing a different way. The squad is devoid of any pace, power or individuality. Just conveyer belt children that have been trained to pass it 6 yards to the next guy.

Our only hope might be to bore teams to death and nick one from a set piece in these last 10 games.

We’ve got nobody who can carry the ball into our opponents danger areas. Nobody who can commit opponents and then beat them. Either out wide or through the middle. Up front, with the exception of Sammi, we are toothless. Could you see Gally scoring the goal that Obafemi got ? He was lucky that his pass back into midfield got a rebound that made it into a  pass into our area but he reacted quicker than anyone to get a shot away. Gally would have been trying to get the ball out of his feet.

• Like 1

JE
6 league games
4 points out of a possible 18

Players available to JE that were not available for the majority of the time to JDT on his bad run:
Gallagher, Dolan, Ayari, McFadz, Pickering, Hyam, Pears (for 5 of 6), Chrisene, Hedges (3 out of 6)

Edit

JDT was juggling:

Wahlstedt, Leonard, Siggy, Telalovic, Moran, Ennis, Markandy, Garrett,

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, aletheia said:

JE
6 league games

Players available to JE that were not available for the majority of the time to JDT on his bad run:
Gallagher, Dolan, Ayari, McFadz, Pickering, Hyam, Pears (for 5 of 6), Chrisene, Hedges (3 out of 6)

It's appalling.

These past few games were all there for the taking. Cardiff, Birmingham, Millwall. Yet we salvaged a couple of points. So frustrating 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’ve got nobody who can carry the ball into our opponents danger areas. Nobody who can commit opponents and then beat them. Either out wide or through the middle. Up front, with the exception of Sammi, we are toothless. Could you see Gally scoring the goal that Obafemi got ? He was lucky that his pass back into midfield got a rebound that made it into a  pass into our area but he reacted quicker than anyone to get a shot away. Gally would have been trying to get the ball out of his feet.

Whilst maybe not outstanding players, it forever surprises me that seeing the impact that Reda Khadra and Poveda had - especially, Khadra, albeit, over a short spell, didn't awaken the club management to how much of a difference a pacy player with skill can make. Having that outlet even awoke Buckley into a dangerous attacking midfielder, as opponents didn't know whether to stick or twist.

If we are to play with a deep and slow defence, which isn't particularly reliable, we must be able to score goals. The management must get Dolan, Buckley, JRC (if fit), even Markanday, committing opposition defenders in the final third. Catenaccio, if that's what Eustace is going for, doesn't seem like it's going to work.

Off the bench, I would use Telalovic and, also, put Gilsenan in there, to try and offer something different. I'd also be looking to have a quicker CB in the line-up, and push the team further forwards and less insecure about the ball over the top. If that means trying Koumetio, so be it. He had a mixed game against Newcastle but it's at least worth trying him out as a sub to see if he might be able to cut it.

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, aletheia said:

JE
6 league games

Edit

JDT was juggling:

Wahlstedt, Leonard, Siggy, Telalovic, Moran, Ennis, Markandy, Garrett,

For balance - Not available at all to JE : Travis and Wharton A.

Of the others, let's be kind and call them a mixed bag.

It's certainly very disappointing that Eustace is yet to register a win when he has been fully in charge, and that needs to change on Saturday.

As others have alluded to, the head coach (be it JDT or JE) can only work with the cards they have been dealt, which in my opinion have been pretty shitty.

The real fault lies one step up the food chain and upwards from there.

• Like 3