BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 21/04/2024

Overall the majority of problems stem from a lack of quality throughout the side, this leads to poor decision making, crumbling under pressure, whatever you want to call it.

Using Wharton as an example, not because he's the worst but because he comes to mind first.

Wharton is slow, he makes decisions slowly and is criminally one footed. This leads to us moving the ball out from the back ponderously, which leads to possession being heavily concentrated to one side of the pitch when he has the ball, leading to players having to play with their back to goal (predominantly right footed, receiving it on the left). Teams squeeze up, our players move over to condense the play and try to get numerical superiority, we make mistakes and the compounding impact multiplies over a phase of pay with players being out of position to cover mistakes. They switch the play and we're caught out time and time again. 

You could replicate this model across the pitch where individual deficiencies cause massive problems that lead to a disjointed unit that when playing anything other than trench football, with 11 men behind the ball struggles. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes---and I don't understand the "he wanted to go" crap. He was contracted to us and we should have kept him .

Not his choice to make.

Even if he'd run his contract down, so what? Plenty of others have without the Lunes caring.

I said before the season started "this will come back to haunt us" and it has. Started the season with a No1 keeper who is known to be error prone and no decent back-up.

This decision alone could cost us our place in he Championship.

This is the lowest I've ever felt about Rovers, there seems no hope. Celebrating our 150th in Div 3!

If we are trying to position ourselves as a development club for promising youngsters - we can't put too many blockers on players leaving providing our price is met. Where it all fell down is recruitment  - we spent what was big money for us on Kaminski's replacement - showing a reasonable profit overall - how the deficiencies in Leo's game wasn't picked up is down to the scouting (unless he is struggling to settle in this country and ends up a world beater - we can but hope)

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
  • Like 1

Could someone help me understand what the consequences would have been if Pears had clawed the ball away with his hands after the miss kick.

Is it a yellow card and an indirect freekick or would he have walked? 

3 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Could someone help me understand what the consequences would have been if Pears had clawed the ball away with his hands after the miss kick.

The former is my understanding. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Indirect free from ten yards out, no yellow card.

• Like 1

Pears, Hyam, Carter, Brittain...

Just awful. It's no wonder why we're facing the drop.

Then factor in the other none entities and without Szmodics we'd be battling it out with Rotherham for who finishes bottom.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Overall the majority of problems stem from a lack of quality throughout the side, this leads to poor decision making, crumbling under pressure, whatever you want to call it.

Using Wharton as an example, not because he's the worst but because he comes to mind first.

Wharton is slow, he makes decisions slowly and is criminally one footed. This leads to us moving the ball out from the back ponderously, which leads to possession being heavily concentrated to one side of the pitch when he has the ball, leading to players having to play with their back to goal (predominantly right footed, receiving it on the left). Teams squeeze up, our players move over to condense the play and try to get numerical superiority, we make mistakes and the compounding impact multiplies over a phase of pay with players being out of position to cover mistakes. They switch the play and we're caught out time and time again. 

You could replicate this model across the pitch where individual deficiencies cause massive problems that lead to a disjointed unit that when playing anything other than trench football, with 11 men behind the ball struggles. 

The whole team is slow. I've been saying it all season. Not one player has any pace. Other teams don't have to worry about getting beat over the top so can play a higher line thus putting pressure on the defence, who crumble regularly. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Indirect free from ten yards out, no yellow card.

Seen a Facebook debate about this. Someone, claiming to be a qualified ref, is saying that it wouldn’t have been a foul if he had used his hands. The reason being is he made a genuine attempt to clear the ball, it then became a new phase of play and so he could legally have then used his hands. 

Said person is claiming this is why the ref came and spoke with him after. Ie telling him he could have used his hands because he made a genuine attempt to clear. It was a bit unusual for the ref to speak with him at that point.

Appreciate you reffed at the highest level. Is there anything in what our FB ref is claiming or is he talking nonsense?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the original david brent said:

Seen a Facebook debate about this. Someone, claiming to be a qualified ref, is saying that it wouldn’t have been a foul if he had used his hands. The reason being is he made a genuine attempt to clear the ball, it then became a new phase of play and so he could legally have then used his hands. 

Said person is claiming this is why the ref came and spoke with him after. Ie telling him he could have used his hands because he made a genuine attempt to clear. It was a bit unusual for the ref to speak with him at that point.

Appreciate you reffed at the highest level. Is there anything in what our FB ref is claiming or is he talking nonsense?

It's an interesting take on it but in my view and my most recent knowledge of law then Pears would have been penalised for deliberately handling the pass to him irrespective of his swipe and touch of the ball. For the life in me I wouldn't consider that a new phase of play. I don't know for sure but I couldn't see the referee consoling him by saying he could have used his hands and prevented the goal. That would have made Pears feel even worse in my opinion.

Just now, arbitro said:

It's an interesting take on it but in my view and my most recent knowledge of law then Pears would have been penalised for deliberately handling the pass to him irrespective of his swipe and touch of the ball. For the life in me I wouldn't consider that a new phase of play. I don't know for sure but I couldn't see the referee consoling him by saying he could have used his hands and prevented the goal. That would have made Pears feel even worse in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the ref was saying to him afterwards? It seemed a bit strange he ran over to him and they had an arm round each other. (appreciate that's a very open question)

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

Out of curiosity, what do you think the ref was saying to him afterwards? It seemed a bit strange he ran over to him and they had an arm round each other. (appreciate that's a very open question)

I honestly don't know and found it strange. At the time I just thought he was consoling him. I always found it safer to keep out of a players way for a while after they had dropped a bollock.

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I honestly don't know and found it strange. At the time I just thought he was consoling him. I always found it safer to keep out of a players way for a while after they had dropped a bollock.

I wondered whether he was clarifying what he could have done…seemed to say “next time…” or similar 🤔

28 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Didn’t the Forest keeper do that earlier this season? 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the original david brent said:

He could have handled it…😳

IMG_5555.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The whole team is slow. I've been saying it all season. Not one player has any pace. Other teams don't have to worry about getting beat over the top so can play a higher line thus putting pressure on the defence, who crumble regularly. 

It's a piss poor squad full of physically small/weak players and no pace whatsoever.  We lack everything you need to be a competitive side in the Championship.

Worst squad since Venkys rocked up and there have been some mediocre ones during that time. 

The 2 quality players the academy actually turfed out have both been sold within 7 months of each other. 

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It's a piss poor squad full of physically small/weak players and no pace whatsoever.  We lack everything you need to be a competitive side in the Championship.

Worst squad since Venkys rocked up and there have been some mediocre ones during that time. 

The 2 quality players the academy actually turfed out have both been sold within 7 months of each other. 

To be fair, I don't think the club had any choice regarding Phillips and the Wharton sale was driven by a court case in India.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Nothing. I was talking about Wharton, and like Waggott said ‘we need to help the owners’.

Ok - so you accept that the club handled the departure of  one of the two Academy quality graduates was handled properly. But what would you have done with Wharton with all the pressure coming from India ?

He had to go, and quickly, as the owners can’t meet their obligations, due to them being under investigation for financial impropriety - so let’s be fair to them.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1