Jump to content
blueboy3333

Academy & U21s

Recommended Posts

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Cheers Joe who would be your three out of interest?

Personally, JRC, Thompson & Vale. 
 

Butterworth and Grayson both have long term injuries right now so tough to judge, and Rovers continued position to not include youth prospects in the first team for Years until they’re 20+ (for the most part) could hinder most of their chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U-18s lost to Manure, 0-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2020 at 23:44, JoeH said:

Personally, JRC, Thompson & Vale. 
 

Butterworth and Grayson both have long term injuries right now so tough to judge, and Rovers continued position to not include youth prospects in the first team for Years until they’re 20+ (for the most part) could hinder most of their chances.

This has made me wonder, when was the last time someone 18 or younger got a league debut for us? Or a start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

This has made me wonder, when was the last time someone 18 or younger got a league debut for us? Or a start?

Adam Henley in November 2011. Ronnie Clayton was 16 years and 263 days old when he made his debut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil Jones had just turned 18 for his league debut.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Phil Jones had just turned 18 for his league debut.

Sorry Matty. Mrs Shoelaces bought me several Rovers books for Xmas. According to Harry Berry's " Rovers Miscellany " Phil Jones was !7yrs and 213 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going off Wiki. Made his league debut in March 2010 against Chelsea (Drogba in his pocket), Wiki has his DOB as February 1992.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I was just going off Wiki. Made his league debut in March 2010 against Chelsea (Drogba in his pocket), Wiki has his DOB as February 1992.

Harry Berry says his debut was on 22 Sept 2009. I think he's right, according to wiki he made his debut in a League Cup game against Notts Forest.. The Chelsea game was his Premier League debut.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry thought we were talking about league debuts.

September ‘09 was a cup tie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, was I naive in thinking we wouldn't have to go back to Jones and Henley for the answer?

Really odd that we were doing it in the Prem, at a higher level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Hoilett not 17?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19. Spent a couple of years on loan in Germany first as he couldn’t get a work permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who the hell keeps moving these U23 games to weekday lunchtimes? FFS.

Is it a cost saving gig or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Who the hell keeps moving these U23 games to weekday lunchtimes? FFS.

Is it a cost saving gig or what?

I heard it's because Lancashire FA have got so many games on their pitch now and with it being winter etc they're worried about pitch.

Rovers hosting at Brockhall more often in winter periods to help that but they don't want to host evening games at the training facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wright-Phillips is Shaun’s son (Ian’s grandson!).

Now that made me feel old!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I heard it's because Lancashire FA have got so many games on their pitch now and with it being winter etc they're worried about pitch.

Rovers hosting at Brockhall more often in winter periods to help that but they don't want to host evening games at the training facilities.

Yeah, got to keep that pitch fit for the Dog and Duck games rather than the professionals.

Too much trouble to open up Ewood in an evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A youth loan seems odd, not sure how it would benefit us unless it’s a sort of trial, if the idea is just to go back to City all that would do is hamper our own 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

A youth loan seems odd, not sure how it would benefit us unless it’s a sort of trial, if the idea is just to go back to City all that would do is hamper our own 

I presume it's with some stipulation where we can buy, otherwise it wouldn't make sense

Anyone know where Chapman is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tom said:

A youth loan seems odd, not sure how it would benefit us unless it’s a sort of trial, if the idea is just to go back to City all that would do is hamper our own 

Mainly assume it's because the 23's in general are a little short this year. In 90% of their fixtures the bench is made up of only 4 out of 5 subs available, and they're all Under 18's. We are in need of a few more bodies really. Like @Bigdoggsteel says, probably a loan to buy for a compensation fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis Thompson playing well again, mentioned him, along with a few others some time ago - and I know that others on here who attend the 23's games have been impressed with him. He's got to be the next one given a go for me, especially with Amari'i Bell the man above him.

Joe Hilton saved another penalty, and Derrick Williams & Ben Brereton both on the scoresheet so far. 2-0 to Rovers against third in the table Derby. A big three points which takes us ten points into the safety zone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.