BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "Do I want Rovers to stay up this season?"

JohnD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If going down could guarantee new responsible owners coming in to rebuild, however long that took, I'd take it, but there are no guarantees the owners would sell, no guarantees under existing f and p rules that we'd get better, and so, all in all, I'd rather stay up and worry about next season when it comes.

Personally think the closer we are to the big money the longer this will go on for, the carrot is dangling and it was evident by the way fat Barry spoke on the phone that his attention is on that. Take that away from him and there's a stronger possibility of him and all the leaches connected with the Rovers will leave to suck the blood from another club. 

Just now, Neal said:

Personally think the closer we are to the big money the longer this will go on for, the carrot is dangling and it was evident by the way fat Barry spoke on the phone that his attention is on that. Take that away from him and there's a stronger possibility of him and all the leaches connected with the Rovers will leave to suck the blood from another club. 

The problem with that Neal is the debt that they hold over the club.  They own an awful lot of prime land around Brockhall village and I suspect that will be another reason for them hanging on.  I really don't see them going anywhere until they recoup the debt shown in the accounts.  I suspect they may well be with us for many years to come. 

There seems to be a misunderstanding that relegation may lead to the Venkys going.  They will go when they choose to go, or when someone offers enough money for them to cash in.

Relegation? I never want that, or anything negative for Rovers.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

Stuart asked this of me earlier.

It's a simple enough question you would think but I'm torn.

I'm boycotting and like to believe that results don't matter, all that matters is that the Rao's go and I'd accept anything to achieve that. However, and as always, the closer the threat of relegation comes the more I want to go and support whoever is wearing the shirts in an attempt to stave off relegation. I can't be arsed with night matches anymore, too far, too late, too old but while there's a chance of us going down I'll be back for the weekend home matches.

Unlike most on here I believe we must all make our own decisions based on circumstances and respect whatever decisions others make or change.

If our fan base wasn't so divided we would have a better chance all round, relegation, new owners, whatever but this messageboard ensures division among fans. They didn't create it but they certainly feed the flames and that is the greatest shame and pity. If the cap fits throw it away, have more respect and fight for the club.

I remember some saying we'd be better off getting relegated when we were in the PL.

Wonder if they are content now?

I don't think it really matters in the long term as we are doomed anyway. Relegation might speed up our demise which is probably a good thing as I have always thought that the sooner this saga reaches it's inevitable conclusion the sooner we can come back at some level. Better away games in 3rd division as well. 

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Im talking about modern football. United are a different club now. As for bayern? Barce? Real madrid?...

You could have said that about Rovers in 1995. Things change. It could happen to anybody.

Just now, Mr. E said:

Is there any concrete reason to hope Venkys will leave even if we go down? My fear is it won't make a difference.

I have not heard any concrete reason as to why it would make it more likely they would leave. 

There are no benefits to relegation. Our current squad will be downgraded in the summer . If we get promoted the first year,we will still have a worse championship squad than we currently have. 

It is baffling what people are saying on this thread. Better away games in league 1.... seriously. 

As a lifelong Rovers fan , no i dont want relegation.....

But if it means we are Venkyless bring it on .....

It would bring our plight back into spotlight if we did , and if it is not this season it will be next ! 

Administration maybe the for the best ...

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It is baffling what people are saying on this thread. Better away games in league 1.... seriously. 

This is exactly what happened the last time we were relegated to the third tier. The first season at that level was terrible but it wasn't too long before we gained some momentum. By the 1973/74 season, it was clear we had the makings of a good team and days following the Rovers away from home were simply superb. The away followings steadily increased and for both this season and the promotion season that followed, we swamped most grounds. I remember going to Rochdale around that time when we took forty coaches and two train loads. We had the League Liner a couple of times and most of the time we had the Ewood Express which held six hundred. Add that to probably a minimum of twenty coaches plus those that made their own way to away games and you can see why the atmosphere was brilliant. We were a big fish in a small pool. As soon as we were promoted back to the old Second Division, we struggled and certainly away followings tailed off. It wasn't until the mid to late 80s (play off near misses) that away followings reached the levels of the early to mid 70s.

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

This is exactly what happened the last time we were relegated to the third tier. The first season at that level was terrible but it wasn't too long before we gained some momentum. By the 1973/74 season, it was clear we had the makings of a good team and days following the Rovers away from home were simply superb. The away followings steadily increased and for both this season and the promotion season that followed, we swamped most grounds. I remember going to Rochdale around that time when we took forty coaches and two train loads. We had the League Liner a couple of times and most of the time we had the Ewood Express which held six hundred. Add that to probably a minimum of twenty coaches plus those that made their own way to away games and you can see why the atmosphere was brilliant. We were a big fish in a small pool. As soon as we were promoted back to the old Second Division, we struggled and certainly away followings tailed off. It wasn't until the mid to late 80s (play off near misses) that away followings reached the levels of the early to mid 70s.

You're right CLB, they were great times but our generation had never tasted success, had no preconceptions and hadn't had our hearts ripped out by a bunch of charlatans. We were always as one.

I would like to think that history could repeat itself.

We simply need 7 wins to stay up, regroup and reunite.

In the seventies we were all sh1t together and all proud to be a Rover. Great, great memories.

It's just not the same now unfortunately. 

Staying up solves nothing. It just delays the inevitable drop into league 1 by 12 months. I don't think anyone wants to go down but I think most people know it changes nothing.

I'm not sure whether Venkys would sell if we go into league 1, but I think there would be a greater chance they would do. At the moment, they are looking at it simply as "we are only one league away from the prem and a big pay cheque". Two leagues away, no players left to sell, and a further decrease in income may force their hand I think. 

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

You're right CLB, they were great times but our generation had never tasted success, had no preconceptions and hadn't had our hearts ripped out by a bunch of charlatans. We were always as one.

I would like to think that history could repeat itself.

We simply need 7 wins to stay up, regroup and reunite.

In the seventies we were all sh1t together and all proud to be a Rover. Great, great memories.

It's just not the same now unfortunately. 

Rochdale , Halifax , York , Bolton Sir Riger Jones take a bow ! Great memories ..Throw in Southport too...

12 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The problem with that Neal is the debt that they hold over the club.  They own an awful lot of prime land around Brockhall village and I suspect that will be another reason for them hanging on.  I really don't see them going anywhere until they recoup the debt shown in the accounts.  I suspect they may well be with us for many years to come. 

Cant see them ever recouping that and it doesn't seem as if they intend to given their appointments and lack of interest in the Seneca offer... just my opinion. They recouped what they could in player sales in the past 2 years. If they did start to sell parts of the training complex it then begs the question... How much more are people going to take without opposing them?

Relegation to L1 means a big reduction in the wage bill and so reduces the losses by several £m. Although relegation makes the financial salvation of the PL an even more distant planet, because of the reduced I suspect Venkys are at best indifferent about it.

11 minutes ago, alcd said:

Relegation to L1 means a big reduction in the wage bill and so reduces the losses by several £m. Although relegation makes the financial salvation of the PL an even more distant planet, because of the reduced I suspect Venkys are at best indifferent about it.

Relegation only reduces the wage bill for new players, and only in the sense that it would be more 'acceptable' to fans.

They could sign League One standard players on League One wages in the Championship. They can't even be bothered to do that.

I find it incredible that ANY Rovers supporter would want Rovers relegated or even go into administration.

UNLESS THERE WAS A GUARRENTEE THAT VENKYS WOULD LEAVE AND THERE WAS A CREDIBILE PERSON / GROUP WILLING TO BUY THE CLUB - which would also mean venkys becoming a willing seller..

I DON'T agree the boycott is the right approach - yet understand why folks have a different opinion - and respect their stance.

I detest what venkys and the rest - (possible 3rd party, agents etc) of those supporting venkys have done to the club.

What comes first and foremost to me is the club. The rest will either leave, be found out and dealt with eventually.

The sad reality is their leaving can't be forced - we have the FA who should have acted a long long time age, who are worse than useless and are not fit for purpose.

We have venkys who appear to have the desire to spend money even though they know the club is hugely in debt - after all they caused it. Until the WHY is discovered - the status quo will continue.

Questions we all need answering -

Why would owners of a club want the club to be relegated from the prem -  the FANS did not want that to happen.

Why would the owners be quite prepared for the team to fail on the pitch, by not giving, whoever the manger, sufficient funds to make sure a decent competitive team, capable of climbing up the table was at the club.

Failing to do that, damages the club further, but they are prepared for that to happen. WHY

The FANS want - 

A decent owner who wants NONE of the above to happen. 

WE ALL want success on the pitch. 

WE ALL want the club, as a whole to do well.

In my opinion those wanting relegation / administration helps enhance venkys desires.

Whereas a full, ground,

The club being as high as possible in the league

Tells the world and venkys  ETC,  that this club means a lot to its fans and no matter what anybody does to try to bring its club to its knees - the fans of all ages will still be here.

That does not mean you stop the protests - a full ground is imo a protest in itself - possible the best protest available.

What potential owner would be interested in a club that has a low fan base ( which an empty ground shows)

This is not a dig at those choosing to boycott, or wanting the club relegated, in administration etc

You are fully entitled to your opinion and stance. I just have an opposite opinion.

Archived