BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He did yeah. He was a PL signing but that still doesn't detract from the 13 performances in 18 months. He clearly can't keep fit. Prior to us signing him he'd had a handful of appearances for Huddersfield, who returned him if I'm right, and no appearances the season before that for Bournemouth. The last time he reached double figures for appearances was 2013. I think that says it all.

He was injured in the first game of last season and then fractured his ankle in training in October which (six games aside) rendered him unavailable. If we wrote players off for their injury records it could end up backfiring on us.

Fear Sunderland will pursue Rovers under Sale of goods Act - is Steele as described, of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose?  Think it will be dawning on their fans this afternoon that they've been sold a pup!

Any word on Mulgrew leaving yet?

A 'knock' before the season has begun could suggest he's not going to be fit enough for a lot of the season. The other angle is that 'knock' is codeword for - he's on his way soon and his new employers would rather he didn't play.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

18 minutes ago, Husky said:

Any word on Mulgrew leaving yet?

A 'knock' before the season has begun could suggest he's not going to be fit enough for a lot of the season. The other angle is that 'knock' is codeword for - he's on his way soon and his new employers would rather he didn't play.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

Mowbray has said we don't need to sell and have no reason  to believe he lying to the fans?  do you?

also someone posted on here that Mowbray has told Mulgrew he staying and he accept it and don't asked to leave.

My long lasting memory of Steele would be how often he seemed to concede from the first or second shot on target in games. At home especially we often seemed to be one down from an early break, which always seemed to me that he played with zero confidence. He certainly gave me zero confidence in his ability.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has said we don't need to sell and have no reason  to believe he lying to the fans?  do you?

also someone posted on here that Mowbray has told Mulgrew he staying and he accept it and don't asked to leave.

I'd be amazed if Mulgrew is happy to play in League One, being an international. The writing is already on the wall with Mulgrew, now that a better team wants him. They'll be back with a better offer.

I'd place your faith in simple facts, rather than hearsay, @chaddyrovers.

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Never let it be said again that only Rovers fans write players off quickly, he's been hung drawn and quartered on that board already :lol:

He's took a right slaughtering both on the pitch today it seems and from Sunderland fans on twitter! No refunds Mackems sorry! :lol: 

Just now, Butty said:

He's took a right slaughtering both on the pitch today it seems and from Sunderland fans on twitter! No refunds Mackems sorry! :lol: 

I genuinely wonder if he has a bit of an eye sight problem he's doesn't half see bobbling shots late and go down late. At least you knew Robinson just couldn't get his gargantuan frame across goal quick enough for well struck long range shots but Steele gets beat by almost slow motion shots.

Strange because at times he's demonstrated very quick reflexes, although that's about it. Something not right with him even allowing for fragile confidence.

It's hard to believe we've made a profit on Steele.

Bought for £100k from Middlesbrough and became a well-noted part of a relegated Rovers side by being crap. Fans wanted him gone.

Sold to recently relegated Premier League side Sunderland for £500k on a 4 year contract with the view to him being their number one.

How has that happened?! Maybe Sunderland will rue usage of their parachute money in time.

By the way, just so we're crystal clear on the situation... In the world of football in 2017, Jason Steele is too good for us.

Steele being slated comes as no surprise, despite me getting slated by some quarters for being pleased about his departure, and my opinion that he is the worst number 1 we have had in the near 40 years I have been watching Rovers (Seems nowadays if your opinion is not the same as someone else's then you get slated).

Having watched all last season and the season before, He was always the topic of conversation during and after games.

There were games where we had 2 or 3 shots on target against us, which always seemed to find their way into our net, (I'm not having he got beat by world class goals every week).

I agree that we had/have many players and Managers who have under-performed and no one player can be held totally accountable for results, however I maintain last season, despite Coyle, we lost so many points due to very bad goalkeeping. 

A good keeper is worth as much as a good centre forward, especially in a team fighting relegation battles as we were last season. 

We can all pick out moments, where we lost valuable points and incidents, for example Gallagher piddling around with it in last minute which lead to an equaliser and 2 dropped points etc.

However on the topping up count, Steele would run away with it, in terms of incidents where he was found wanting

34 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I'd be amazed if Mulgrew is happy to play in League One, being an international. The writing is already on the wall with Mulgrew, now that a better team wants him. They'll be back with a better offer.

Yours is an opinion, not a fact.

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yours is an opinion, not a fact.

Umm... Yes? It's an opinion based on the fact that an offer came in for Mulgrew. Chaddys opinion is based on hearsay.

43 minutes ago, Phil T said:

But if Mowbray says he going nowhere then he aint going anywhere. 

The 200k offer was a joke. 

Just now, Phil T said:

Umm... Yes? It's an opinion based on the fact that an offer came in for Mulgrew. Chaddys opinion is based on hearsay.

Well, according to Sky an offer came in. All we really know is that Mowbray has said he doesn't need or want to sell them.

A poster on the LT today said a few scouts were watching Danny Graham last night.

Unless any of them ask to leave I think we'll keep them. Once they kick up a fuss it's all over and time to get rid.

Archived