BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

37 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There's a hundred and one centre halves out there better options than Paul Downing.

Again, what was asked was a centre half to strengthen the first 11. What we got was a centre half that was a back up. A back up to an injury prone Ward, Mulgrew & Lenihan.

I'd have gone all out for Dan Burn from Wigan personally. Great young player.

If that's the same Dan Burn who was with Fulham - no thanks.  Always got a chasing when he turned out for them against us.  Much rather give Matty Platt a chance.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You have never seen the guy play! Do you not realize how ridiculous your definitive statements sound? 

Ya, Dan Burn does look decent. Big unit as well. Have you seen him play? ;) 

Some quotes from the Walsall forums regarding Paul Downing: (https://upthesaddlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50889&sid=3679a016cd76fbc455dc7366a5e8157d)

"He's not strong enough or aggressive enough and gets bullied by big strikers.

"He can look decent when playing weaker sides, technically he's good however you wouldn't want him in the trenches with you."

"Against less physical sides he's good. Against anyone strong or over 6ft he's a rubbish. I was glad to see him go."

"Bradford away still gives me nightmares."

"Hes a decent to good league one centre half. No more than that. I can't seem him being instrumental in what Blackburn should be aiming for, as in the Championship. He's not even close to that."

"A good footballer who did well for us until the going got tough. As others have said if paired with a commanding, tough CB he will do well but he lacks a little physicality for this division."

I think the result is pretty damn unanimous, don't you? What we could do is trawl up through MK Dons forums for their opinions also. Anyway, I'll see him this saturday judging by the injuries.

I have seen Dan Burn play, yes. 

Look at the Grant Hanley thread on here. We'd all have him back but reading that you would think he is useless, yet he is an international and a pretty good centre half.

Fans are always critical of players that have left.

That said reading them comments suggests to me that you wouldnt want to go a full season with him, but he is more than good enough to a job when needed. Sounds like a good backup CB to me

1 minute ago, FGS5635 said:

Look at the Grant Hanley thread on here. We'd all have him back but reading that you would think he is useless, yet he is an international and a pretty good centre half.

Fans are always critical of players that have left.

That said reading them comments suggests to me that you wouldnt want to go a full season with him, but he is more than good enough to a job when needed. Sounds like a good backup CB to me

Sometimes you read what you want to read. I take this as he is a weak defender that needs a solid CB next to him to carry and bring out the best in him. Who is that solid CB in the Rovers team?

With injuries he could be our most senior CB. Ward could very easily pick up a knock in the coming weeks and leave us with Downing playing next to either Wharton, Platt, Williams or Nyambe. Who takes charge? Who is the tough one that deals with the physical side of the opposition?

No one wanted a back up CB. We wanted a first teamer.

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think the result is pretty damn unanimous, don't you? What we could do is trawl up through MK Dons forums for their opinions also. Anyway, I'll see him this saturday judging by the injuries.

7 posts on a Walsall forum is unanimous? You cannot quantify the quality or value of a player to a squad, until some actual games are played, surely?

If he ends up in the team, and looks a complete dud, I'll join you in criticising his signing - but for now, the only thing that should be unanimous - the supporters being prepared to give someone a chance! 

Hanley is a great example fgs... "I'd drive him to turf moor personally" was one of the many classic BRFCS lines a season before he left for Newcastle! 

As for signing a new first choice centreback, wouldn't that be pretty obvious in hindsight, but not at the end of august when the two first choice aren't on the long term injury list? 

Just now, Biz said:

7 posts on a Walsall forum is unanimous? You cannot quantify the quality or value of a player to a squad, until some actual games are played, surely?

If he ends up in the team, and looks a complete dud, I'll join you in criticising his signing - but for now, the only thing that should be unanimous - the supporters being prepared to give someone a chance! 

Hanley is a great example fgs... "I'd drive him to turf moor personally" was one of the many classic BRFCS lines a season before he left for Newcastle! 

As for signing a new first choice centreback, wouldn't that be pretty obvious in hindsight, but not at the end of august when the two first choice aren't on the long term injury list? 

They aren't the only ones. MK Dons fans have also called him useless. I'll keep an eye on the forums though for a positive post - I won't hold my breath.

It's not hindsight. I'd say a good 15-20 people on here were calling for a first team centre half since early August. If we can see it, and we aren't professionals as BDS keeps alluding too, how comes TM couldn't? He clearly knew we were fragile in defence going for Bostwick and Henneghan (and Bruce according to chaddy but I don't believe that). He didn't land his men and now we are paying for it. He failed to prepare.

We knew Lenihan was injured mid-August(?) and knew Mulgrew and Ward had the potential for long-term injuries. Ward only played 13/14 games in 2 seasons for us. We should have always sought to bring in a first team centre half and use Ward as back up. No brainer.

Folk on here also wanted a 1st team keeper to replace Steele.

A 1st team left back and right back

A 1st team centre mid as we are short there

A 1st team Winger as we have no width or pace

A 1st Team Striker to replace the fat lazy Graham

We are a team dropping through the divisons, ideally we want 1st teamers everywhere. Its not some crazy crystal ball stuff to want that.

But the reality is budgets and crippling debts mean we cant afford to go out and keep signing 1st teamers.

52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Some quotes from the Walsall forums regarding Paul Downing: (https://upthesaddlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50889&sid=3679a016cd76fbc455dc7366a5e8157d)

"He's not strong enough or aggressive enough and gets bullied by big strikers.

"He can look decent when playing weaker sides, technically he's good however you wouldn't want him in the trenches with you."

"Against less physical sides he's good. Against anyone strong or over 6ft he's a rubbish. I was glad to see him go."

"Bradford away still gives me nightmares."

"Hes a decent to good league one centre half. No more than that. I can't seem him being instrumental in what Blackburn should be aiming for, as in the Championship. He's not even close to that."

"A good footballer who did well for us until the going got tough. As others have said if paired with a commanding, tough CB he will do well but he lacks a little physicality for this division."

Sounds like we've signed the defensive equivalent of Whittingham ( and possibly Antonsson) i.e. a bit lightweight but technically good.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It seems to be a theme that everyone is saying our signings weren't the right ones, yet they offer no alternatives. They use the "its not my job" or "I'm not a scout" line. No, but you all have opinions on who isn't good enough. So why not give suggestions as to who you believe would have been the ideal center half for us? 

When we were in the Premier League you found that you knew quite a lot about most signings. Now we are in the lower leagues not so. You dont see or hear of the players from Championship clubs talked about anywhere like as much as the Prem. Less so in league one and league 2.

Aside from Whittingham, every player we have brought in this summer I have had to research on who they are, what they have done and what opposition fans think of them. Are you serious expecting me to do that for hundreds of lower league players just so that I can name you a better option? Seriously?

"It's not my job" isn't a line. It's a fact.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

Ward is big and has been good in the air from what I have seen so far. On the ground I am concerned! 

It seems to be a theme that everyone is saying our signings weren't the right ones, yet they offer no alternatives. They use the "its not my job" or "I'm not a scout" line. No, but you all have opinions on who isn't good enough. So why not give suggestions as to who you believe would have been the ideal center half for us? 

Seriously the club can do no wrong in your eyes.

Last year you where banging on saying Coyle should stay as there where no better options.If anyone said Coyle out you would question it and ask them "well who would you bring in then".

Seriously it isn't the fans job to identify and bring players in.Mowbray did say that anyone brought into the football club would have to be the right quality and be able to challenge the players we have.If there is no money then fair enough,fans can deal with that if Mowbray or the club came out and said it.Bit if we did actually bid for Heneghan then we could have got better than an mk dons reserve.

Big gamble to not sign another quality CB, but you can see why TM had to gamble with no money available.

Teams that win league generally do so by having very few injuries (see Burnley), especially not to their best 2 players. So season  could be over unless the replacements step up and perform.

Edit: just seen the rovers tweet. Season back on track. Get the champagne on ice.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Big gamble to not sign another quality CB, but you can see why TM had to gamble with no money available.

Teams that win league generally do so by having very few injuries (see Burnley), especially not to their best 2 players. So season  could be over unless the replacements step up and perform.

Edit: just seen the rovers tweet. Season back on track. Get the champagne on ice.

From despair to elation!:)

8 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

TBH I've seen him go off injured a few times thinking damm that looks bad, only for him to play the next game.

Great player, but clearly has the pain threshold of a 6yr old girl. Wouldnt suprise me if he plays v Rochdale  and we have all wasted 5 pages arguing for nowt :blink:

In other news Downing will win player of the year, Harper is better than Yaya and Hart will sign for Madrid next year in a 96.25 million deal :rover:

Archived