BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton Town v Rovers

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity we didn't get the win but still unbeaten in 11 league games. Haven't lost in the league since Oct 14th to Oldham. Today is a setback but if we keep our unbeaten streak during the Xmas period and get back to winning ways we will not be far off automatic promotion which is what we all want. Missing a few today so hopefully all back for Rochdale game. Every point we get cements our place in the playoffs but most importantly gets us close to automatic promotion. Hopefully a win against Rochdale on Boxing Day. Onwards and upwards

5 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Awful penalty ..run up stop ..soft side foot ..trying to bluff the keeper ..that softly hit the keeper saves with one hand and the ball doesnt even rebound back out .

Who the hell cares about bluffing Northampton's keeper? That suggests to me a lack of confidence in himself if he's more worried about what the keeper thinks. 

Just go for ruthless accuracy and quit fannying around. Save bluffing for stupid (and occasionally skilled) poker players.

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

If they are still feeling the effects of the booze a week after the party then they are a bunch of lightweight nancys.

Dunn probably wouldn't stop calling for last orders.

Anyway even if they did drink too much a week ago why would that impact on today? Incase people forgot the performance wasn't great last weekend either.

9 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Dunn probably wouldn't stop calling for last orders.

Anyway even if they did drink too much a week ago why would that impact on today? Incase people forgot the performance wasn't great last weekend either.

Charlie and a few others being 'sick', could be due to drinking too much etc.. Not sure if thats the case though?

2 minutes ago, OxSouthernRover said:

Charlie and a few others being 'sick', could be due to drinking too much etc.. Not sure if thats the case though?

Mulgrew and Samuel and sickness can be down to all kinds of things. Evans was "injured" again apparently.

Shocking performance which highlights the need for at least three new players in January if we are going to get automatic promotion. Sloppy, error strewn football in a game where Northampton were happy to play like the away team and play on the break. As we have seen in so many games at Ewood we just aren't competent enough to break down teams who play this way. Mowbray has to ask himself why he didn't swap (or even start)  Antonsson and Conway to their stronger sides sooner as they only became effective when they were in a position which suited them and were comfortable in. If we are to beat defensive teams we need to get in behind but as both of them kept coming inside on their stronger foot we played into Northamptons hands. Mulgrew is so important to us and I was glad to hear he was ill rather than injured in the warm up. I honestly believe if we lost him for any length of time our season will crumble. Six straight wins have papered over some big cracks in my opinion.

The only positive I can find today is that we didn't lose but failing to find that consistency in a game could be our Achilles Heel.

4 hours ago, alcd said:

Terrible player. Apart from being able to run fast in a straight line he offers nothing. Looks perpetually nervous and uncertain what to do in almost any situation. Caddis could surely not be worse.

With regard to Nyambe, I think he has the makings of a good player. He needs good coaching, something he is obviously not getting at Rovers. If Pep Guardiola was our manager, he'd turn Nyambe into a  very good player.

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

True , he missed an absolute sitter a couple of minutes before , so head may not have been right !!!

With regard to Conway, wasn't he captain? Should have pulled rank and taken the pen himself. TM, never make Conway captain again.

On the bright side, we didn't lose. We are still 3rd. There is the second half of the season to start and improve.Bad day at the office. Forget it. Next game we will win. 

Just now, bazza said:

With regard to Nyambe, I think he has the makings of a good player. He needs good coaching, something he is obviously not getting at Rovers. If Pep Guardiola was our manager, he'd turn Nyambe into a  very good player.

Not sure about that Bazza. You can make a good footballer into a better athlete but I don't see it working the other way. From my limited experience of seeing Nyambe he has no fundamental footballing attributes but great athleticism...another J-Lo.

Just now, LDRover said:

Not sure about that Bazza. You can make a good footballer into a better athlete but I don't see it working the other way. From my limited experience of seeing Nyambe he has no fundamental footballing attributes but great athleticism...another J-Lo.

Agree with you Arbitro. Summed it up. The linesman got bolshy with the home fans behind me and allowed our two best chances

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Shocking performance which highlights the need for at least three new players in January if we are going to get automatic promotion. Sloppy, error strewn football in a game where Northampton were happy to play like the away team and play on the break. As we have seen in so many games at Ewood we just aren't competent enough to break down teams who play this way. Mowbray has to ask himself why he didn't swap (or even start)  Antonsson and Conway to their stronger sides sooner as they only became effective when they were in a position which suited them and were comfortable in. If we are to beat defensive teams we need to get in behind but as both of them kept coming inside on their stronger foot we played into Northamptons hands. Mulgrew is so important to us and I was glad to hear he was ill rather than injured in the warm up. I honestly believe if we lost him for any length of time our season will crumble. Six straight wins have papered over some big cracks in my opinion.

The only positive I can find today is that we didn't lose but failing to find that consistency in a game could be our Achilles Heel.

I totally agree. We're third though, despite the fact that other than 2 or 3 twenty minute spells, we haven't played particularly well all season.

We need a couple or 3 signings in January, which may be a tough ask and to keep hold of our key players. Without any pace, inventiveness and ability to unpick a stubborn defence, the best we can hope for is a place in the play offs.

One quote on their forum stands out ‘they moved the ball reasonably well but they lack pace.’ 

For the umpteenth time - it needs sorting and quick.

You do fear that we’re a Mulgrew or Dack injury away from struggling big time. Reinforcements needed in Jan to have any chance of over-throwing the Shrews. 

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

One quote on their forum stands out ‘they moved the ball reasonably well but they lack pace.’ 

For the umpteenth time - it needs sorting and quick.

You do fear that we’re a Mulgrew or Dack injury away from struggling big time. Reinforcements needed in Jan to have any chance of over-throwing the Shrews. 

In addition, if I'd have been an opposition forward, I'd have licked my lips when our back 4 was announced.

36 minutes ago, bazza said:

With regard to Conway, wasn't he captain? Should have pulled rank and taken the pen himself. TM, never make Conway captain again.

On the bright side, we didn't lose. We are still 3rd. There is the second half of the season to start and improve.Bad day at the office. Forget it. Next game we will win. 

Really disagree on Nyambe. He's young, fast, fairly strong and literally thats it.

He's got not only a total lack of technical ability, but a total lack of intelligence and positional awareness. He offers nothing going forward bar taking up the wingers space and the occasional mishit cross into touch, although he usually turns back. And going back hes often dragged out of position or backs off too much.

That back 4 we named today is nowhere near a promotion chasing League 1 defence, I think even though Downing has been a success he has need Mulgrew to lead him, Mulgrew and Lenihan are for me the only defenders we have that could move up a level, Ward and Nyambe are weaknesses even in League 1.

Caddis - Positional sense, Good tackle, Reads the game okay, but lacks pace, strength and is ageing

Nyambe - Has pace, strength and a young gun, lacks positional sense, a proper tackle and reading of the game

If we could combine the two we would have a good right back, but that's why we are league 1 folks.

• Backroom

On reflection today was a disappointing result but we stay in third and within reach of second. I think we'll finish above Shrewsbury but worry about Bradford.

In fairness we robbed 3 points last weekend when we were awful and it sounds like 3 today would have been kind to us overall.

Approach the next game with a positive mindset and we can get back winning.

Just now, Tom said:

On reflection today was a disappointing result but we stay in third and within reach of second. I think we'll finish above Shrewsbury but worry about Bradford.

In fairness we robbed 3 points last weekend when we were awful and it sounds like 3 today would have been kind to us overall.

Approach the next game with a positive mindset and we can get back winning.

I take your points Tom but just think that Ward will always be a liability, Conway and Whittingham have been terrible all season as has Nyambe. I just don't have your confidence that it's just about a positive mindset. We're only good enough for a play off spot for me and that is down to the poor opposition more than our strengths. 

In general, we still have all the weaknesses that we highlighted before the season started: the only shining lights have been Raya, Smallwood, Mulgrew and Dack once he found his feet. Collectively we still sorely lack pace and resilience throughout the team IMO.

Some observations from Sixfields.

Overall, we were very poor. That was not the performance of a promotion chasing team. We were off the pace for most of the game against a very limited team that worked much harder with more enthusiasm than ours.

Northampton's goal was a carbon copy of a few others this season - a straightforward training ground routine and we allowed their centre half a free header at the back post. Dreadful.

Why was Antonsson allowed to take the penalty? I was right behind the goal and he never looked likely to score - his body language and the way he addressed the ball was all wrong.

I like Conway but he had a terrible game. It was easier to score than miss when he went past the keeper.

On today's evidence, Whittingham and Graham add nothing to the team. They are too immobile and slow. Antonsson needs replacing too. We urgently need new and better players in the January window

Finally, we really do have some neanderthal supporters. Quite why middle-aged thugs in their Fifties were having a row with the stewards only they know. And throwing coins at the Northampton goalkeeper isn't clever. 

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Overall, we were very poor. That was not the performance of a promotion chasing team. We were off the pace for most of the game against a very limited team that worked much harder with more enthusiasm than ours.

Northampton's goal was a carbon copy of a few others this season - a straightforward training ground routine and we allowed their centre half a free header at the back post. Dreadful.

Why was Antonsson allowed to take the penalty? I was right behind the goal and he never looked likely to score - his body language and the way he addressed the ball was all wrong.

I like Conway but he had a terrible game. It was easier to score than miss when he went past the keeper.

On today's evidence, Whittingham and Graham add nothing to the team. They are too immobile and slow. Antonsson needs replacing too. We urgently need new and better players in the January window

Finally, we really do have some neanderthal supporters. Quite why middle-aged thugs in their Fifties were having a row with the stewards only they know. And throwing coins at the Northampton goalkeeper isn't clever. 

I hope they nail the coin throwing scumbags and give them lifetime bans. I have an eyesight problem caused by a small object thrown by someone unknown many years ago. Personally I would hang the feckers.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Hooray 

Not feeling too confident of that win mind you, if we do win though any result in the other game is a good one 

I am not confident at all, we beat them handily away so I am sure that will benin the players mind and this squad's mentality with lead to another below par performance.  Add a good crowd to Rovers knack of raining on the parade and I think a draw is best we do, lose further ground and re-ignite the Mowbary out fires..

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Neanderthal is too nice for some of them. One of these behind me said he hoped Ward got a terminal illness and that his wife dies on Christmas Day. The sight of balding, overweight, drink addled middle aged men indulging in behaviour you wouldn't expect from a six year old is appalling.

Archived