BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't follow.

If we have players that aren't going to get in our team but would strengthen other teams in this league but teams that aren't likely going to challenge us for promotion it makes sense to let them go there especially if they still have to face our rivals.

Good for us, good for the player, good for the team they are going to.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Not sure what Forest were playing at with their business yesterday. Seems rather pointless given they won't be going up and don't look likely to get sucked into a relegation battle. To sign so many players on deadline day seems odd for a club entrenched in mid-table.

Could turn out to be a masterstroke or it could be a disastrous policy of chopping the squad up mid-season when confidence around the place is fragile. They've certainly brought in experience but that guarantees nothing in the Championship.

Planning for next season presumably

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mulgrew, Downing, Lenihan, Williams, Nyambe

Why fork out more wages for a guy to be our 6th center half?  We have Bell to cover for Williams and Caddis & Travis to cover for Nyambe. 

I don't think we need another centre half, but classing Nyambe as a centre back is ludicrous. Maybe on the right of a back three but as a 2 pairing in a back four frigging no chance! 

• J*B unpinned this topic
26 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I think the fact that we haven't signed a centre half and have let Wharton and Ward leave on loan, suggests ToMo is going to try 3 at the back again with Bell and Nyambe in the wide midfield positions.

I sure hope not. We have Downing and Williams fit with Mulgrew and Lenihan soon to return, pretty sure he won't do anything drastic in the midst of a long unbeaten run. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

If we have players that aren't going to get in our team but would strengthen other teams in this league but teams that aren't likely going to challenge us for promotion it makes sense to let them go there especially if they still have to face our rivals.

Good for us, good for the player, good for the team they are going to.

I don't believe it's too good for the integrity of the competition. As I said I'm all for players getting games out on loan but for teams in different leagues to his their parent club.

I suppose we have to think a few weeks ahead, when we'll have Lenihan, Mulgrew, and Downing - all normally first-teamers - all vying for two spots in the starting lineup.

I didn't watch our Cup game against Hull, but I heard that Nyambe was our MotM in central defence. You could also argue that Williams' natural position is at centre-back, and from the two games I've seen him play there, he's deputised adequately, albeit not the most visionary when it comes to passing forward. I'm all for bringing superior players to the club, especially if it ruffles feathers of those who might be in a comfort zone, but I'm not too worried about our defensive playing staff as it is.

Yup I certainly think we are potentially a bit light in defence, especially when you consider that aside from downing and I suppose Mulgrew although it could be argued he isn’t a natural centre half as he has many different positions, none of the others are by trade centre half’s. wouldn’t be paying mills wages if u offered a pay as you play, and was only paid if we needed him. But somebody said he has went to Barnsley so it doesn’t matter. Our injury record isn’t great so I don’t want plasters over broken limbs, hence the suggestion 

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I think the fact that we haven't signed a centre half and have let Wharton and Ward leave on loan, suggests ToMo is going to try 3 at the back again with Bell and Nyambe in the wide midfield positions.

Why does letting more CH's go and not replacing them suggest he's going to play with more CH's?

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I get your theory but why change a winning formula ? We've gone 18 matches unbeaten playing 4 at the back why potentially jeopardise promotion trying out a different system just to accommodate  1 or 2 players

There's nothing to suggest he's going to change the shape of our defence. The loan moves out just highlight how confident he is about our cover, with Mulgrew and Lenihan being back in contention shortly. 

Wharton hasn't had a sniff all season and Ward has been struggling for game time too. That's with Lenihan being out for most of the season.

3 hours ago, Butty said:

I don't think we need another centre half, but classing Nyambe as a centre back is ludicrous. Maybe on the right of a back three but as a 2 pairing in a back four frigging no chance! 

I wasn't sure either previously but he was excellent there v Hull in the cup in a pair. 

We should try and avoid putting him there though even with injuries, so he can keep improving at RB but also Nyambe at CB would mean Caddis at RB....

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Not sure what Forest were playing at with their business yesterday. Seems rather pointless given they won't be going up and don't look likely to get sucked into a relegation battle. To sign so many players on deadline day seems odd for a club entrenched in mid-table.

Could turn out to be a masterstroke or it could be a disastrous policy of chopping the squad up mid-season when confidence around the place is fragile. They've certainly brought in experience but that guarantees nothing in the Championship.

Planning for next season..

Gives Karanka rest of season to plan and work out tactically plan A and B. 

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why is it ludicrous?

Because he's a full back not a centre back, williams can play both but I wouldn't have much confidence in Nyambe going up against some of the lumps up front in this league at centre back. Doubt we'll see him at centre half anyway rest of this season, hope he keeps improving as he has been at right back and proving JAL wrong :lol: 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Planning for next season..

Gives Karanka rest of season to plan and work out tactically plan A and B. 

Managers who arrive at clubs mid-season tend to keep their powder dry until the summer, when better deals are available and there is much more time to bring in the players wanted. Some of those signed are only on loan so might well only be stop gaps until the summer. Seems to be a lot of business done there for a club going nowhere fast.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Managers who arrive at clubs mid-season tend to keep their powder dry until the summer, when better deals are available and there is much more time to bring in the players wanted. Some of those signed are only on loan so might well only be stop gaps until the summer. Seems to be a lot of business done there for a club going nowhere fast.

Guess Karanka not been impressed by certain players and decide to do mid season overhaul and sign players he wants and some players he work with before

11 hours ago, AJW said:

Because I think we have the players to play a back 3 with wing backs , I just don't agree with using it now 

Nor me. But who are the '1 or 2'  players he is trying to accommodate if he went 5 at the back?  If he did that he's have to drop some players up front. he has 4 places up there at the moment, with 3 CH's he only have 3 attacking places at the most.

Archived