Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I was going to reply but islander200 sum my response perfectly..

How many games did Rhodes play at Boro after his move?

How many games did Hanley play at Newcastle after his move? 

 

Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall wanted out of the club. 

You do realise that since the first one left, we spent half a season near the bottom of the Championship, then the second left, following which we had a woeful season seeing us slip into League 1. (half way through which the third correctly saw the chance to leave)

Last season, one of those players (Hanley) has a Championship medal albeit after playing a minor role, and then was the best player at a solid Championship club last season. Thats better than a spell in League 1.

Marshall was a massive player at a team that finished 8th and 3 points away from the play offs while we were in League 1.

Rhodes you could argue yes has struggled but hes still won promotion in that time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Reading from a certain angle that post paints a very uncomplimentary picture!

Unintended, bit of fun based on the current hot topic of people being nosey on public transport, I have loads of respect for Steve Waggot, when he spoke recently at the supporters consultation meeting I found him totally engaging and passionate without being flash. 

Comes across as a football man not a car salesman (no offence intended I also like car salesman the man I bought my car off was one) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

Unintended, bit of fun based on the current hot topic of people being nosey on public transport, I have loads of respect for Steve Waggot, when he spoke recently at the supporters consultation meeting I found him totally engaging and passionate without being flash. 

Comes across as a football man not a car salesman (no offence intended I also like car salesman the man I bought my car off was one) 

Not sure hes a football man who prioritises the happiness of the home support, based on decisions hes made thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

 

Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall wanted out of the club. 

Rovers wanted rid of Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall because they knew they were sitting on £20 million of transfer fees.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Rovers wanted rid of Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall because they knew they were sitting on £20 million of transfer fees.

They turned down bids for Rhodes .I'm not disputing eventually they were happy to cash in but all 3 players wanted to leave too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Rovers wanted rid of Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall because they knew they were sitting on £20 million of transfer fees.

Correct they all wanted out once it became clear the club was going nowhere and was behind the scenes actively encouraging interest in virtually any and every player worth more than a tenner !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, islander200 said:

They turned down bids for Rhodes .I'm not disputing eventually they were happy to cash in but all 3 players wanted to leave too.

The players wanted to leave only when the club and owners made their intentions clear. There wasn't a murmur of any of them being unhappy until the departure of Bowyer which was when the money tap was turned down and the sales began. After that as time has shown the club wanted to rake in whatever they could get and those players knew they were merely numbers on a balance sheet that the owners wanted to cash in on. The sales of Cairney and Gestede kicked it all off. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

The players wanted to leave only when the club and owners made their intentions clear. There wasn't a murmur of any of them being unhappy until the departure of Bowyer which was when the money tap was turned down and the sales began. After that as time has shown the club wanted to rake in whatever they could get and those players knew they were merely numbers on a balance sheet that the owners wanted to cash in on. The sales of Cairney and Gestede kicked it all off. 

That's all fair enough but still in the case of Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall their careers didn't benefit from the moves they made only their bank balances.Rhodes has spent 2 years sat on the bench,Marshall spent a lot of his time at wolves doing the same although he did have a good spell at Millwall but like I said in a previous post Marshall starts well at any club he joins and then he loses form and confidence and he ends up moving on.Hanley also spent most of his time at Newcastle not playing .

Like iv seen people suggesting that Rhodes would have been a good signing he has done nothing for the last two seasons,even when he has played he has looked terrible.Maybe he will prove me wrong but I don't see him hitting the same sort of goalscoring form he has at Huddersfield and here.When he isn't putting the ball in the net it's like playing with 10 men he offers nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, islander200 said:

That's all fair enough but still in the case of Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall their careers didn't benefit from the moves they made only their bank balances.Rhodes has spent 2 years sat on the bench,Marshall spent a lot of his time at wolves doing the same although he did have a good spell at Millwall but like I said in a previous post Marshall starts well at any club he joins and then he loses form and confidence and he ends up moving on.Hanley also spent most of his time at Newcastle not playing .

Like iv seen people suggesting that Rhodes would have been a good signing he has done nothing for the last two seasons,even when he has played he has looked terrible.Maybe he will prove me wrong but I don't see him hitting the same sort of goalscoring form he has at Huddersfield and here.When he isn't putting the ball in the net it's like playing with 10 men he offers nothing else.

Think its fair to say that none of the players have exactly kicked on and excelled. However when you look at the horror show that has unfolded here since their departures we've hardly coped well have we?

All 3 are pretty much where they were when they were at Rovers. Mid-table or top half of the Championship. It remains to be seen whether we are ready to reach such lofty heights again but at present i think we're short and lets be honest all 3 of them would likely walk into our starting 11.

People can get distracted by our success of last season but the reality is we're still some way behind even the play-off chasing Championship clubs having been in that pack only 3 years ago before the slash and burn stripping down process began and the last 2 seasons have been wasted coming to terms with the consequences of that policy and subsequently trying to rebuild from it. 

Not really fair to point the finger at those players about the grass being greener etc. when we've undoubtedly suffered more than they have during that time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom said:

Following on from my Davenport exclusive I bring you this developing story.

Steve Waggott is currently on my train from London, off peak in standard class, what a man, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves 

 

#trainbae

Before you all get carried away with guessing, he was in London for the appeal to the FA for the ladies team to be promoted.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Before you all get carried away with guessing, he was in London for the appeal to the FA for the ladies team to be promoted.

I hope we win the appeal .. sickens me they didn't get it .  But united get it first season they have a women's team!

 

Btw it has to be us in for maddinson.. posh owner didn't reply to me or any other rovers fan regarding maddinson but is replying to everyone else .. seems suspicious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Before you all get carried away with guessing, he was in London for the appeal to the FA for the ladies team to be promoted.

Backs up what I thought about him, top man! 

Hope common sense prevails on this one. 

On transfers in my naivety I got Marriot and Maddison confused, is Maddison a player in a position we’d be looking at? Isn’t he an attacking midfielder or could he play in the role of Armstrong or Chapman out wide?

Edited by Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Think its fair to say that none of the players have exactly kicked on and excelled. However when you look at the horror show that has unfolded here since their departures we've hardly coped well have we?

All 3 are pretty much where they were when they were at Rovers. Mid-table or top half of the Championship. It remains to be seen whether we are ready to reach such lofty heights again but at present i think we're short and lets be honest all 3 of them would likely walk into our starting 11.

People can get distracted by our success of last season but the reality is we're still some way behind even the play-off chasing Championship clubs having been in that pack only 3 years ago before the slash and burn stripping down process began and the last 2 seasons have been wasted coming to terms with the consequences of that policy and subsequently trying to rebuild from it. 

Not really fair to point the finger at those players about the grass being greener etc. when we've undoubtedly suffered more than they have during that time.

Rhodes would not get in our side right now.He has hardly played or scored in 2 years so no he wouldn't walk into our side,especially when we play with one front man a role Rhodes could not play.Yes Rhodes scored loads of goals here but that was a couple of years ago,his confidence looks shot to pieces.Two years of not scoring goals or playing regularly is a long time.

It would be between Hanley and Lenihan to partner Mulgrew.Hanley would be in now but I'm a big fan of Lenihan and if he stays injury free and continues to develop then there wouldn't be too much between them.

Marshall on his day would get in the side but again he isn't anything special.He isn't consistent enough and half the time he doesn't look bothered. 

All 3 players are nothing special imo.Rhodes on 30 or 40 grand a week?No thanks.

I'm not just saying this because they left, and I'm not criticising them for leaving ,the way the club was being rub and with our lack of ambition I don't blame them for moving on.But the 3 of them are nothing special.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

Backs up what I thought about him, top man! 

Hope common sense prevails on this one. 

On transfers in my naivety I got Marriot and Maddison confused, is Maddison a player in a position we’d be looking at? Isn’t he an attacking midfielder or could he play in the role of Armstrong or Chapman out wide?

Winger primarily but can play number 10 too, great assist stats for last season - a big reason why Marriot got so many goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom said:

Steve Waggott is currently on my train from London, off peak in standard class, what a man, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves 

 

 

That means he's on personal business not Rovers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 47er said:

That means he's on personal business not Rovers!

Or he's not flash enough to cost the club a few quid extra for the sake of 30mins on the train.

Pennies and pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked on Twitter. If we didn't go off what we have got to go off, there would be no discussion 

You seem to want to just throw a million at Bauer to get the move done quickly. In reality we need to be patient and try to get the best deal. That's football and that's business. Not like football manager unfortunately. 

Not saying we Can't discuss rumours, it was just you confidently asserted that the players you listed were our main targets and I Can't see any real evidence We're in for any of them apart from Bauer.

As far as he's concerned; we can wait all we like but if we aren't offering something sensible in the same sort of ballpark as Charlton are talking we won't get the player. Not during this window anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Exactly the type of player we need to avoid.

A former 18 million international defender with lots of prem experience to develop our younger players, yea totally man 🙄 exactly what we need I reckon, few players with higher level experience. He is only 33 need I point out another 33 year old Just went for 88 million. Life in him yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

A former 18 million international defender with lots of prem experience to develop our younger players, yea totally man 🙄 exactly what we need I reckon, few players with higher level experience. He is only 33 need I point out another 33 year old Just went for 88 million. Life in him yet 

Wes Brown, Gordon Green, Danny Murphy all had international experience and could have helped develop the youngsters. Avoid these types of signings at all costs. Leave the development to the coaches not ageing players stealing a wage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

A former 18 million international defender with lots of prem experience to develop our younger players, yea totally man 🙄 exactly what we need I reckon, few players with higher level experience. He is only 33 need I point out another 33 year old Just went for 88 million. Life in him yet 

Did you just compare Glenn Johnson to Cristiano Ronaldo? Really? Did you just do that?! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Just watched the second half of the Hibs friendly. Nyambe wasn’t troubled in the slightest and looks to have dropped a half stone, looks a touch leaner. Most underrated player in the squad. Nyambe is first choice and Travis and Bennett can back him up. 

We need strikers and wingers, two of each and another Centre Half.

 

Agree..he gets a lot of stick and makes the odd mistake but every game I saw us last season he was our main attacking outlet from the back. Bombed forward at every opportunity. Far more than WIlliams ever does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.