BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I do enjoy these insights into Chaddy’s life.

Like Brfcs Through the Keyhole :D

Good job he's taken though, With the insights tonight , I could imagine the female members of BRFCS forming an orderly queue to be taken up the vue (obviously not on a Tuesday)

frankie.jpg

Edited by perthblue02

38 minutes ago, gumboots said:

And I wouldn't want my husband to take me out every couple of months. We go out together. He doesn't take me and I don't take him.

Well thats you gumboots sadly not everyone is like yourself. You clearly enjoy yourself so fair play to you. 

36 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Why is it tight to buy nothing. We eat well and don't need to graze whilst watching a film. We go to watch the film and don't eat out afterwards because we don't eat in the evenings generally

Always have something to eat even if I watching a movie at home. 

Like I said to you thats you. 

Me and my missus like to make a day/night of it. Thats us. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well thats you gumboots sadly not everyone is like yourself. You clearly enjoy yourself so fair play to you. 

My point wasn't that either was right or wrong. Just that if you include the cost of food etc at the cinema then you'd have to include it at Ewood.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Superior supporter, superior husband and superior Funster.......what a guy!

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Superior supporter, superior husband and superior Funster.......what a guy!

His wife gets treated to a night out at least 6 times a year! Weekends away in Middlesborough watching the footie - such a smoothy !

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very tight buying nothing.its at least 40 pounds a time cinema then a nando meal which is 40 to 50 pounds a time. Maybe not for you but most people buy a drink and food. 

I aint scrooge at all ???

Why always "aint" when you're discussing yourself? Its not as if you're American is it?

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

His wife gets treated to a night out at least 6 times a year! Weekends away in Middlesborough watching the footie - such a smoothy !

I was going to suggest that a weekend away in Middlesbrough  is hardly the height of romance and who should know better than me who comes from Teesside? 

Edited by gumboots

9 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I was going to suggest that a weekend away in Middlesbrough  is hardly the height of romance and who should know better than me who comes from Teesside? 

Never that weekend was romantic gesture. But other ppl jump in too much. Ive been far too open and honest on here. 

I want to go so I suggest staying over. Getting so food up there. Instead of driving up and back..

Going Leeds away aswell. Go shopping and football that day

• Backroom

I genuinely now want a Chaddyvision documentary - I’m starting the appeal now for a podcast special 

Also nobody should ever go to Blackburn Vue, the one at the Middlebrook (and Preston) is £5 or so for any film any time and every seat is a new recliner.

Also also if you don’t buy an Ice Blast at the cinema you are doing it wrong.

In summary Rovers should purchase ice blast machines, recliners and I want to see ‘The Only Way is Chaddy’

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I genuinely now want a Chaddyvision documentary - I’m starting the appeal now for a podcast special 

Also nobody should ever go to Blackburn Vue, the one at the Middlebrook (and Preston) is £5 or so for any film any time and every seat is a new recliner.

Also also if you don’t buy an Ice Blast at the cinema you are doing it wrong.

In summary Rovers should purchase ice blast machines, recliners and I want to see ‘The Only Way is Chaddy’

Have a Poll. 

I vote NO!!! 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never that weekend was romantic gesture. But other ppl jump in too much. Ive been far too open and honest on here. 

I want to go so I suggest staying over. Getting so food up there. Instead of driving up and back..

Going Leeds away aswell. Go shopping and football that day

Well,  thats one way of looking at it. ?

On 16/11/2018 at 22:01, blueboy3333 said:

So there you go, you only comment on what you see as 'negative' posts and ignore the 'positives'. Like I said, you're the problem. You're no different to JAL, but from the opposite end of the spectrum.

The point I was making, which I'm surprised needs explaining to you, is for years anyone who made positive remarks about the was dismissed for being a Venky lover or similar

On 16/11/2018 at 22:07, blueboy3333 said:

What has that got to do with a surcharge imposed 2 hours before the game? Are you saying that Rovers deliberately increase prices to deter potential last-minute attenders?

You asked me to give reasons as to why the surcharge could be justified by the club. I gave you a proper and reasoned response, I feel sure if you read it again you'll be able to see the connection and understand the logic. The main point though from the club's aspect the more accurate the estimate of likely attendance the better everywhere can be staffed accordingly. It's not about detering fans.

On 16/11/2018 at 22:08, blueboy3333 said:

Stop moaning. The club's on the up. All I ever read on here is moaning. 

That's right much of what one reads here is moaning. Try reading the site from another perspective and you will quickly see there is still a very real negative undertone.

On 16/11/2018 at 22:14, blueboy3333 said:

Why don't PNE impose the surcharge then? Are the issues you raise specific only to Rovers?

On 16/11/2018 at 22:01, blueboy3333 said:

I've no idea why PNE don't impose a surcharge. Why would i? I have no contact with or interest in the club.

12 hours ago, gumboots said:

https://movietheaterprices.com/vue-cinema-prices/

Not what chaddy said and look at the family ticket. Also worth noting student reductions and the fact that seniors start at 60 not 65 like at Rovers

Just as an aside it is now very rare for Bolton Vue** to offer a discount to Seniors. It's one of the reasons we now go to Cineworld which does discount and is approximately £3 cheaper.

Vue recently were charging £20 for Allelujah when all other local offers were £10-12.

** I don't know about the Blackburn one.

Edited by Paul

11 hours ago, Hasta said:

Vue and Odeon also push a lot of special offers elsewhere. I get 6 free tickets per year from my bank account, and 2 for 1 tickets through Comparethemarket every Tuesday or Wednesday.

We go to the cinema about 10 times a year and pay half price at most. 

That's absolutely correct BUT if, for example, you want to watch Peterloo, which I do, at present it's no longer being shown by Odeon. Vue are only offering tickets at full price coupled with very restrictive viewing times. 

Just now, meadows said:

For many years in the 1970s and 1980s the adult price of standing on the Blackburn End Terrace was almost exactly the same as a seat at the cinema. 

Great little cinema at St Annes, cheap too and the classic old cinema at Hebden Bridge charges a maximum of £7 adults. Longridge too has a fabulous old cinema. 

Chorley also has a great local cinema

23 minutes ago, Paul said:

Chorley also has a great local cinema

If this thread is becoming a local cinema thread then without doubt Longridge Cinema is the best in the north west. Tonys Top Chippy across the road, a cup of tea in the cinema for 50p, sing the national anthem before the film and an interval half way through for ice cream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Surely there has to be better ways of managing staffing levels, than whacking a 12.5% extra charge on supporters?

18,000 empty seats...

That may well be true Mattyblue but it is far from the real issue. I've just skimmed through twelve pages of posts since I last visited the MB. The discussion hasn't changed with all the emphasis being on £3 when this could not be further from the nub of the problem. Personally I think the surcharge makes sense from a club perspective, I've explained why. Where the club went wrong was how this was presented to fans. It should have been matchday ticket is £xxx which is then discounted by £3 for early purchase.

The club has lost in the region of 10,000 paying fans, emphasis on paying. My view is the chance of 80-90% of those returning is slim. Like everyone discussing the topic I can only offer my own experience and anecdotal evidence. I've raised these points before, they are ignored in favour of criticising those who try to understand the club's approach to the surcharge. I'll try again. In the mid 90s to early 00s period 25-30 people from my village went to Ewood. The cross section was parents, usually fathers, with children. I didn't know a single adult who went without a child. The ratio was probably one adult to two children - myself I took four kids. Of those 25-30 only three, myself and two sons, continue to attend. One family has left the village but I happen to know only the parents still attend. Supporting Rovers at the time was easy, kids wanted to watch football, tickets were cheap and available and you could go when your Utd supporting mates couldn't. All the kids were Rovers and their parents were happy to be fans and to take them. Families mature, all the children I'm talking about have left the area, and the parents have slowly lost interest and moved on to other things as the pressure to take the children has gone. This aspect of course not helped by everything else which has occured in Venkys reign. To my knowledge 75% of fans in my little village have stopped attending but would still call themselves Rovers. All were ST holders.

How to tackle those missing 75%?? It's extraordinarily difficult but first the club needs to understand why people have stopped and what would attract them back. Most of these lapsed fans won't be aware of special offers, probably not the surcharge or even the price of a ticket because the club has no real way of communicating with them. It is simply very, very difficult to market to customers these days because people consume media in a vastly different manner to 10 years ago. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is those I know who have stopped would buy in advance and if they didn't a £3 surcharge would not be a barrier. Attracting these very casual fans to Ewood is the answer, proving to them the real experience is far better than the remote one from the armchair. The solution to this comes from only one place - on the pitch in the Premier League. While things have been going extremely well at Ewood this last couple of years it's not enough to put bums on seats.

I also know another wide group of fans who rarely go. They are all Rovers fans, they all have mates who attend and have a pretty good idea of what is happening on the playing side but don't attend. How to tackle them? No idea.

To try and back this up. @gumbootsand I are similar ages, both retired and don't live in Blackburn though I'm closer than her. I'm guessing from her posts our family situations are similar. Everyone went to Rovers on a Saturday, kids and all, now the kids are gone. I've stuck with it and to a degree this is because my disabled son wants to go and I'm the only person available to take him - if you like I still have the parental pressure. My lad though doesn't like going on wet November Wednesdays but I still attend so its not 100% of my reasons. Retirement brings a fantastic change in life, there is so much to do, the "how I ever found time to work thing" is true. For someone like gumboots, she is still to an extent, engaged but it appears it's going to take one hell of a lot of persuading to change her now well established new life. That's fine, I completely understand it. For the occasional visit the £3 is probably an irritation not a real barrier.  Imagine then the fans in gumboots position who are no longer engaged, are not tempted to return for a whole variety of reasons. Then try to imagine the difficulty of engaging with and tempting them back when they are 100% disconnected from the idea of going - despite still being fans.

Hope you don't mind me surmising here gumboots. I think I've been fair in my impression gained over a long period of reading your posts.

Cheap kids tickets are only a short term answer. They breed a generation of life long Rovers, most of whom leave the area.

I simply do not believe the £3 is a major barrier to growing attendances. The difficulty revolves around regaining the paying support of long lapsed fans. The bulk of whom I'd suggest come from outlying areas and in my experience are not impacted by the low income issues which most definetly exist in Blackburn. I'll evidence this by saying prior to Jack's involvement I used to leave home at 2.35 or even 2.40 and would be in the ground by KO. At our peak I used to leave at 2.00 or earlier and often sat in traffic queues from the Hoghton Arms all the way to Ewood. Today I'm back to leaving around 2.30, there is no traffic at all because those outlying supporters don't go.

One last little comment. I paid £140 for tickets to a theatre performance this week. It's seven months away. The surcharge was £3.65 per ticket. I was irritated as I felt at £70 there shouldn't be a charge. Did it stop me buying? No.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2