adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Is Bauer back from injury yet? If not then I wouldn't touch him. 

He's been fit since November and playing well apparently. Prising him away now Charlton have move into the top 6 will be difficult.

If we really want him prising him away from Charlton shouldn't be an issue. Like us with Premier League clubs if a player attracts attention from a richer club in a higher division he will be interested. Charlton are still in takeover limbo so imagine their board will cash in on a player out of contract if an offer comes along.

Who is available, with the cojones and credentials at the right coin to fill the boots of the CB vacancy we so desperately perceive? I see Big Col turned out for the Moorgate a few weeks back, and even though we know he has a deeply dark streak, even the most blue and white tinted bespectacled ones amongst us would wince at that kind of desperation... So, who else can we reasonably go after??

Got to be careful going for a ‘big nasty centrehalf’. Most aren’t the quickest and neither is Charlie. We’d be better  at dealing with balls in the box but shredded by a nippy striker. IMV that’s why TM likes Lenihan so much as he has aggression and pace. Unfortunately he’s also prone to impetuosity. As with so many other aspects  this is a team in evolution with several players growing into  their roles. Would like a Kevin Moran type option but don’t want to impede Lenihan’s progress completely. He’s got great potential and is one of our own home grown. 

Edited by steelcityblue

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not sure The Charlton lad is the big, nasty centre half we are missing.  Sounded more of a Charliesque ball player.

Pretty sure he’s a nasty, big German bast@rd?!

Looked him up - just shy of 6’4. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Papa soares on loan for left back, Matt Connolly loan for centre back, Jonny Williams transfer, Liam Lindsay transfer, Sam Gallagher loan and il be happy 😆 

1 hour ago, steelcityblue said:

Got to be careful going for a ‘big nasty centrehalf’. Most aren’t the quickest and neither is Charlie. We’d be better  at dealing with balls in the box but shredded by a nippy striker. IMV that’s why TM likes Lenihan so much as he has aggression and pace. Unfortunately he’s also prone impetuosity. As with so many other aspects  this is a team in evolution with several players growing into  their roles. Would like a Kevin Moran type option but don’t want to impede Lenihan’s progress completely. He’s got great potential and is one of our own home grown. 

Andy Morrison or Andy Todd would do nicely !

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Jonny Williams transfer, Liam Lindsay transfer

I don't know what he would cost but Lindsay would be a near perfect signing for us. As for Williams I remember when he was at Ipswich on loan it must be 3 or 4 seasons ago now he looked a classy midfielder with a big future ahead of him sadly injuries have blighted his development, but if you could get him fit and back to his best you could have a quality player and probably wouldn't cost much

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't know what he would cost but Lindsay would be a near perfect signing for us. As for Williams I remember when he was at Ipswich on loan it must be 3 or 4 seasons ago now he looked a classy midfielder with a big future ahead of him sadly injuries have blighted his development, but if you could get him fit and back to his best you could have a quality player and probably wouldn't cost much

Believe Williams contract expires at the end of the season and is in a very similar situation to Reed in that he is 25 now and on the fringes of his PL club. Lindsay is a young CB that is attracting admirers from Italy and in the PL from the likes of Brighton. Think I read that it would take 3 million to sign him.

10 hours ago, Hasta said:

He's been fit since November and playing well apparently. Prising him away now Charlton have move into the top 6 will be difficult.

Bauer out of contract in the summer.

15 hours ago, Miker said:

I’d be concerned if we went back in for Chapman. He’s had numerous injury setbacks already this season, not sure if he’s currently fit to play at all. 

if Chapman is fit for half of the remaining games this season, it will be a good loan deal. Not having high hopes on this based on his injury records, but certainly happy if he's back. Dack, Armstrong, Graham and him looked great as an attacking quartet last season.

I am hoping for a centre half and one or two exciting loanees. Chapman would be a sensible loan if we can get him. 

He is the only name within reach I can think of who would boost attendances.

Edited by philipl

Is there a striker out there in the mould of Simon Garner. That's what I would like to see, along with a Colin Hendry and a Noel Brotherston. Not too much to ask. Oh and maybe a Tugay too. 

Over the course of Mowbrays tenure we haven't really had a problem scoring goal albeit in the main from three players. The real weakness is the concession of goals irrespective of the times we concede (although that is a problem within itself). So for me we need an experienced centre half who commands respect and can do the ugly stuff. I know there are difficulties in bringing in such a player in a notoriously tough window but that is where I believe the focus should be. I genuinely would be comfortable if this was the only area in which we strengthened, the other business of different positions can be addressed in the summer.

3 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

if Chapman is fit for half of the remaining games this season, it will be a good loan deal. Not having high hopes on this based on his injury records, but certainly happy if he's back. Dack, Armstrong, Graham and him looked great as an attacking quartet last season.

I don't think that four ever played in the same team.

Chapman is out of contract in the summer, and TM mentioned him fairly recently at the supporters consultation, and Boro have just signed another winger so you would think this one will probably happen if we want it too.

Bauer is an interesting one, on paper he looks exactly what we need, can't say I have seen too much of him though.

I don't think we'll be signing a left back, I think TM will want to run with Bell and hopefully we'll see an improvement, thought he was better on Tuesday. I would certainly be looking at a right back to come in and add depth there, we can't keep putting Bennett out there when Nyambe is out.

Other than that, the main two pieces of business I want to see is Dack staying, and Travis not going out on loan and signing a new contract here.

Friend of mine who is a Blackpool supporter saw him play a Bloomfield road a couple of weeks ago.

Reported that you would prefer to be playing with him rather than against you.  Which I read as being a big uncompromising defender and just what we need.

13 hours ago, steelcityblue said:

Got to be careful going for a ‘big nasty centrehalf’. Most aren’t the quickest and neither is Charlie. We’d be better  at dealing with balls in the box but shredded by a nippy striker. IMV that’s why TM likes Lenihan so much as he has aggression and pace. Unfortunately he’s also prone to impetuosity. As with so many other aspects  this is a team in evolution with several players growing into  their roles. Would like a Kevin Moran type option but don’t want to impede Lenihan’s progress completely. He’s got great potential and is one of our own home grown. 

Lenihan gets beaten for headers far too easily - it's cost us quite a few goals this season. He's OK at centre back in League One but at this level le looks what he is - a converted midfield player 

Personally, I hope we buy  a centre-back who can go straight into the team. I'd play Lenihan as a defensive mid-fielder with Travis, and Reed farther forward.

I look with great anticipation to that.

The main aim this window is trying to make Reed our player and then hopefully playing him centre mid with travis

2 proper grafters who are pretty good on the ball also.

The better we can make our midfield, the less reliant we will be on Graham as hopefully we wont be going direct as much as we do. We can hopefully then start trying to pass through the lines a bit more.

4 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Did they even all play together?