Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, OnePhilT said:

 

The trip to India and working around the owners is the main problem. If they want Rovers to progress by means of a good transfer window - regardless of the budget amount - they should be coming over here for the last game of the season and, as soon as it's done, spend the next week or so laying down the plans for the window and the coming season. Instead, we are constantly a month behind the rest.

In terms or organisation and readiness we are light-years behind!  You correctly identify the reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

How our team SHOULD look for the first game next season:

                    Raya
New    Lenihan    New    New
                   Travis
            Dack      Maher
Rothwell                Armstrong
                Brereton

How our team WILL look for the first game next season:

                        Fielding
Nyambe    Lenihan    Mulgrew    Bell
                    Travis Evans
Bennett            Dack            Downing
                        Graham

 

On what planet should Brereton be starting before Graham?

If Brereton was a youth team graduate he wouldn’t make most people’s 18. Graham was far and away our most consistent performer last year, scored his fair share of goals, leads the line fantastically, and though getting on a bit, we should be getting every bit of game time out of him we can. I very much doubt his eventual replacement will be anywhere near as effective as he is... whether that is Brereton or anyone else we can attract at present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think this will be a super interesting Window and i don't believe we need drastic change to the team. I think our defense was weak this year due to being plagued by injuries. 

We have some great great young players in Nyambe, Chapman, Brereton, Armstrong, Davenport. We need to use our wise heads being Mulgrew and Graham to get this team over the line. Raya i rate he just needs time he is a young keeper who will learn and grow. There are some great players from the French ligue 1 i would be curious to look at. One being Jordan Ferri who is being released from Lyon and who is a gifted little deep lying playmaker. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miller11 said:

On what planet should Brereton be starting before Graham?

If Brereton was a youth team graduate he wouldn’t make most people’s 18. Graham was far and away our most consistent performer last year, scored his fair share of goals, leads the line fantastically, and though getting on a bit, we should be getting every bit of game time out of him we can. I very much doubt his eventual replacement will be anywhere near as effective as he is... whether that is Brereton or anyone else we can attract at present.

Graham will never get this team past a mid table season. He’s very consistent, but consistently average. It’s time to move on for me and try something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Graham will never get this team past a mid table season. He’s very consistent, but consistently average. It’s time to move on for me and try something new.

consistently average?  without him we would be back into league one!  we look a different team with him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly suspect the players we end up signing will be players that haven't been linked yet, and we probably won't know a huge amount about the players that we do sign as I think we may try the European market. I'm not sure we would have predicted many of the players that TM signed last summer, perhaps only Armstrong and Rothwell would have been predicted.

I would also suspect that the budget will be about the same as last year, either room for one big money signing and several smaller purchases or no big money signing and several decent sized signings instead. I think he may sell one of our assets to add to his transfer pot, possibly Raya or Nyambe. 

Edited by rovers11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Graham will never get this team past a mid table season. He’s very consistent, but consistently average. 

Errr, scores when he wants, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Graham will never get this team past a mid table season. He’s very consistent, but consistently average. It’s time to move on for me and try something new.

Have to take issue with that, almost all of our attacking play last season went through Graham. Dack & Armstrong relied heavily on him for any sort of platform. Rothwell managed to create for himself towards the end, but Graham's holdup play is up there with the best in the division.

He might not be a 20 goal a season striker anymore (even though 15 at his age isn't at all to be sniffed at!) but his contribution is certainly well above average. Next season is about taking some of the burden away from him having to do it consistently three times a week, not massively upgrading on his quality imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Have to take issue with that, almost all of our attacking play last season went through Graham. Dack & Armstrong relied heavily on him for any sort of platform. Rothwell managed to create for himself towards the end, but Graham's holdup play is up there with the best in the division.

He might not be a 20 goal a season striker anymore (even though 15 at his age isn't at all to be sniffed at!) but his contribution is certainly well above average. Next season is about taking some of the burden away from him having to do it consistently three times a week, not massively upgrading on his quality imo. 

Exactly. Graham is never going to take us past mid-table... how can you take umbrage with that? It's the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Errr, scores when he wants, no?

Well he doesn't want to score often enough for us to finish above mid-table? We need a 20+ goal striker to even consider a top half push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Well he doesn't want to score often enough for us to finish above mid-table? We need a 20+ goal striker to even consider a top half push.

Let's hang on to our 15+ goal a season player while we find him eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Apart from the fact Mowbray travelled to Holland to see him in person...

The only 100% factual part of that post, is that Mowbray travelled to Holland. The last part is conjecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Exactly. Graham is never going to take us past mid-table... how can you take umbrage with that? It's the truth.

Because I don't agree that our mid-table finish was due to our player of the year not doing his job!

I think 15 goals and bringing Dack, Armstrong, Rothwell and others into play as well as he does is good enough for a top 6 finish if we stop the goals at the other end. He needs help though to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Well he doesn't want to score often enough for us to finish above mid-table? We need a 20+ goal striker to even consider a top half push.

And Brereton is that 20 goal striker is he? I’ll have some of what you’re having please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take Carrol on a pay as you play but I can definatley see him at a club like Burnley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Neal said:

I'd take Carrol on a pay as you play but I can definatley see him at a club like Burnley. 

If not for the injuries he could have been one of the best players of his generation. 

While we’d be lucky to get 10 games out of him in a season, he’d no doubt do the business when fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I wouldn't mind if the first 2 players in the door were free transfers followed by two genuinely exciting Premier League Loans. 

Plenty of "Free" agents that could walk into our 18, if not 11.

Martin Olsson, Patrick Bauer, Joe Aribo, Todd Cantwell, Nick Powell, Moses Odubajo, Leroy Fer, Yohann Barbet.

Even names like George Honeyman and Graham Carey from league one could come in and add depth we've lost or could lose from Reed, Conway, Rodwell and hopefully Smallwood, Gladwin etc.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No chance Carroll would come here, pay as you play, get out of it!

He’s been on around 80k a week and there will without doubt PL clubs interested in giving him a proper deal.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure i see any benefit in signing Downing.

35 (nearly) and would only serve to restrict game time to younger players (Chapman, Rothwell, Travis) whilst taking a reasonably hefty wage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Neal said:

I'd take Carrol on a pay as you play but I can definatley see him at a club like Burnley. 

A gamble with poor odds, but a potentially massive pay out. I'd avoid, but I can definitely see the temptation.

Another tempting one would be Adrien (no idea if that's realistic or not). Dropped the odd howler in the top flight, but could be top class at this level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Well he doesn't want to score often enough for us to finish above mid-table? We need a 20+ goal striker to even consider a top half push.

We just need a solid defence to consider a top half push. We were nearly top half as it was, leaking like mad. We may then also need the striker to consider a play off push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign a couple of decent defenders first and foremost and build from the back. I find all the talk of any position but, unfathomable.

If we sign the likes of Downing, you can only assume the club is still infested and has learnt nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, found myself watching this as I couldn't remember many of his goals. Clearly he has talent, but is he much different to Ben Brereton?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.