Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, Stuart said:

 

Is he here just because he is in it for the long-term salary cos he knows Venkys won’t sack him.

I believe this is close to the truth.  Playing the game is Tony. Knows full well the happy clappers at ewood are a few years away from wanting him out no matter what happens next season. Why would he rock the boat ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rigger said:

People were complaining when the retained list was not published, now, it is not liked, so more complaints. I wish people would accept, at the moment we are a mid-table championship side, and we should set our targets accordingly.

How are you supposed to improve on that though if you don't try ?

Pooling whatever resources you have together and putting them towards a bit of freshness that can contribute is usually how it's done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Quite clear Mowbray never rated Hart nor had any intention of giving him a run in the team. Quite clear to everyone that he isn't good enough for us. Yet he was signed midway through a League One promotion season and given a new deal this season despite spending it out on loan at garbage League One sides. Bizarre.

It also makes me feel better about Mowbray if I believe he wasn't responsible for that one. Suspect someone else behind the scenes playing lucky dip with ex-Premier League club academy players hoping one pays off.

If someone is interfering with transfer policy that results in Mowbray not being able to free us space on the wage bill to sign his own players then he should walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

If someone is interfering with transfer policy that results in Mowbray not being able to free us space on the wage bill to sign his own players then he should walk.

A leap akin to jumping the Grand canyon :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A leap akin to jumping the Grand canyon :) 

I don’t even know what that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Wrong. You set your targets to improve as a club. If you don't have ambition to kick on and improve then go and get involved in another sport. That means getting shut of the deadwood and signing better ones. Merely carrying on with players who aren't up to the job on the basis 'we're a mid-table side' and 'that's our lot' will only do one thing - ensure stagnation and decline.

We've been here before. Lowe, Evans, Williamson, Steele, Henley, Feeney... if you aren't good enough then you aren't good enough. Loyalty and a good attitude only go so far, at some point you need to add talent in order to progress. Signing and extending the contracts of mediocre players does nothing but promote stagnation. Players on the bench should be able and ready to step in and stake a place for the first team. Let's be serious, the likes of Leutwiler, Hart, Conway, Smallwood, Evans and Gladwin will never be first teamers at an ambitious Championship club. They just aren't good enough. Yet all have been given or are about to be given new contracts despite Mowbray's supposed aim being promotion out of this league. At least the likes of Rothwell, Brereton and Chapman have the potential to step up and contribute in a big way, even if that potential isn't ultimately fulfilled. Those are the types of players that should be pushing for first team spots, not average players who are just there to make up the numbers and "do a job" when called upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow. Some reactions to that news. 

Lads, go out and enjoy the sunshine 

Next season is about who we sign. 

Is it not about who we keep paying wages too for doing fuck all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The first totally unnecessary meltdown of the window, well done sir. 

Not a meltdown at all, well done sir.

Very worrying signs about TM's intent for the window. If you disagree, elucidate in the form of a counter-argument instead of having a pop.

Edited by bluebruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluebruce said:

Not a meltdown at all, well done sir.

Very worrying signs about TM's intent for the window. If you disagree, elucidate in the form of a counter-argument instead of having a pop.

Motion carried. I’d rather everyone did this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Raya and Travis never played so you can’t really say he “inherited” them.

Also I thought keeping hold of Mulgrew, Lenihan and Graham in the window after relegation was a massive success.

Important to remember we had a good squad for League One, and made good signings for a League One club.

If they were already here he didn't buy them, he inherited them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluebruce said:

Not a meltdown at all, well done sir.

Very worrying signs about TM's intent for the window. If you disagree, elucidate in the form of a counter-argument instead of having a pop.

Agreed sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Quite how Downing has been given the boot but Gladwin hasn't is beyond me. Seriously. What the fuck. We literally have no senior CB we can trust aside from Lenihan and they let him go but Ben Gladwin has been given a stay of execution. 

Horrendous start. Come on - chop chop. 

We know the drill, 'Gladwin is back on the grass, he'll be like a new signing...'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DE. said:

We've been here before. Lowe, Evans, Williamson, Steele, Henley, Feeney... if you aren't good enough then you aren't good enough. Loyalty and a good attitude only go so far, at some point you need to add talent in order to progress. Signing and extending the contracts of mediocre players does nothing but promote stagnation. Players on the bench should be able and ready to step in and stake a place for the first team. Let's be serious, the likes of Leutwiler, Hart, Conway, Smallwood, Evans and Gladwin will never be first teamers at an ambitious Championship club. They just aren't good enough. Yet all have been given or are about to be given new contracts despite Mowbray's supposed aim being promotion out of this league. At least the likes of Rothwell, Brereton and Chapman have the potential to step up and contribute in a big way, even if that potential isn't ultimately fulfilled. Those are the types of players that should be pushing for first team spots, not average players who are just there to make up the numbers and "do a job" when called upon.

He's already said in the LT Gladwin isn't a football decision which translates as he feels sorry for him and probably wouldn't like to see him end up on the scrapheap. Fair enough if he feels some responsibility he brought him here and it would be his call to let him go, maybe he should personally foot the bill then ?

We are carrying too many like this in recent years and it never works out because by and large they are either old and busted when they arrive or were poor players whether they are fully fit or not. Gladwin fits into that mould and as paying fans I think most would want his wages going towards someone who can contribute and as I've said before what if we end up not being able to stretch another five grand per week to a good centre half who might come ?

Deadwood weights you down and if he ended up on the bench in his quest for fitness and so the manager can get him in the window to be fixed up elsewhere but he's keeping one of our own youngsters out or someone more capable even worse !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

He's already said in the LT Gladwin isn't a football decision which translates as he feels sorry for him and probably wouldn't like to see him end up on the scrapheap. Fair enough if he feels some responsibility he brought him here and it would be his call to let him go, maybe he should personally foot the bill then ?

We are carrying too many like this in recent years and it never works out because by and large they are either old and busted when they arrive or were poor players whether they are fully fit or not. Gladwin fits into that mould and as paying fans I think most would want his wages going towards someone who can contribute and as I've said before what if we end up not being able to stretch another five grand per week to a good centre half who might come ?

Deadwood weights you down and if he ended up on the bench in his quest for fitness and so the manager can get him in the window to be fixed up elsewhere but he's keeping one of our own youngsters out or someone more capable even worse !

 

Agreed. We're a football club, not a charity. As I said in the retained thread, there's no reason Gladwin couldn't keep using our facilities to rehabilitate whilst looking for a new club. I don't think anybody would have a problem with that. I don't understand why he needs to be offered a six months deal when Mowbray's comments make it pretty clear Gladwin will be of no use to us in those six months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that we are in talks over extending the stay's of Gladwin and Conway say to me that we either we have a very poor budget or it is Mowbray again failing to be ruthless. Either way players such as Conway and Gladwin are not the sort of players who are going to have us pushing for the top 6. 

I would hope that we are still looking to bring in another keeper and that Leutwieler is being kept around as a cheap 3rd choice to allow Fisher to go out on loan and play, if not then it again suggests that either the budget is very poor or that Mowbray is failing to be ruthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth , I have a friend of a friend who’s a football agent. He reckons if a player has a long term injury  and his contract runs out his current club has a legal obligation to keep them employed until they are fit enough to sign for another club. This includes providing them the facilities eg gym physio etc to in affect be able to earn a living again. This may be total rubbish however may explain the gladwin situation. It cannot be a footballing decision anyway !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow. Some reactions to that news. 

Lads, go out and enjoy the sunshine 

Next season is about who we sign. 

Until it isn’t.

Then...

CDFAADD9-6FC2-4428-99F5-05666EB8FC62.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tugay5 said:

For what it’s worth , I have a friend of a friend who’s a football agent. He reckons if a player has a long term injury  and his contract runs out his current club has a legal obligation to keep them employed until they are fit enough to sign for another club. This includes providing them the facilities eg gym physio etc to in affect be able to earn a living again. This may be total rubbish however may explain the gladwin situation. It cannot be a footballing decision anyway !!

What’s Leutweiler’s long term injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

For me, at this point, I don’t see what he can do that’s going to appease everybody. 

Whoever he signs, it’s going to divide opinion. Besides Dack, I can’t remember a signing TM has made where at least someone hasn’t had something negative to say about it.

The saving grace is, no matter what, this current squad could easily do better next year than this, with no additions at all. We wouldn’t go down with this team, and likely not up either - so whatever he does add, it can only be positive for me.

Sometimes I worry we expect too much - and I think TM doesn’t help by getting people’s hopes up. The best teams in this league are never the teams who spend big (ignoring Wolves who did more than just spend a few million) it’s almost always the teams you don’t expect.

 

In terms of additions, I think:

Raya,

Nyambe, Lenihan, New, New

New, Travis

Rothwell, Dack, Chapman

New

I'd go along with that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree with your proposed side for next season  but I strongly disagree with your assertion that without additions the current squad would go neither up nor down and might improve. I think without significant strengthening we'd be strong favourites to go down.

You seriously think we’d be strong favourites to go down, with a squad that finished 15th this season and has a very low average age.

Chapman, Armstrong, Brereton, Dack, Lenihan, Nyambe, Raya, Rothwell are all going to be BETTER players than they were this year as they will only improve with age.

If you think that we’d be strong favourites for relegation with the same squad that finished 15th this year, your being overly negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

Not what I wanted to hear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The first totally unnecessary meltdown of the window, well done sir. 

And your reaction to the news is what? ....delight....acceptance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rigger said:

People were complaining when the retained list was not published, now, it is not liked, so more complaints. I wish people would accept, at the moment we are a mid-table championship side, and we should set our targets accordingly.

Acceptance = operation dumbimg down complete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A leap akin to jumping the Grand canyon :) 

Really?

There have been a few things that might support his ..er..hypothesis....e.g. Brereton...there...said it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.