BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

James Beattie? Though admittedly he didn't score for us because we let him go. Great decision

I remember Jonathan Walters was here, scoring goals for fun as an 18-year old, and the main man of the team that reached FA Youth final. Had to be let go after stealing from team-mates.

So incredible stupid on his part, but we missed out on the player he became later on. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Not sure why we'd want him

If we can afford someone like Whiteman, Garner would be very good choice on loan. All-action midfielder with senior experience from United. Regular England youth international as well.

33 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Regarding Jack Vale.

In recent seasons you've had the likes of Brewster, Mbeumo and Abraham doing bits at his age.

Admittedly I have seen nowhere near enough of him to comment on his potential (I doubt many on here have), but to suggest a 19/20 year old can't hit the ground running is far of the mark.

I actually saw Brewster and Vale matchup last year, when the U23 went to Anfield and gave Liverpool a lesson. Vale led the line superbly with hold-up play and intelligent running while Brewster was in Tyler Magloire's pocket all game. Butterworth was the star player that night and the Liverpool commentators was certain that he would become a PL player. Also seen Vale give 30 mill pound Mangala of Man City the run-around.

Vale certainly has potential and I agree that a 19/20 year old can make an impact. A much better option than keeping Samuel around for sure. I know the coaches worked with his confidence when he was younger. 

• Like 2

Central midfield is right at the bottom of the priority list really. We obviously need goalkeepers and centre backs. We need a left back. We dont have anyone proven in wide areas and we could in an ideal world do with a striker all before CM.

Garner was being linked with Swansea amongst other teams recently, in the latest rumour round seemingly agent drive the teams seem to be a bit lower, us, recently promoted Coventry and then League 1 clubs so maybe just putting the feelers out.

He has only played 2 senior games too. Maybe if we felt that we needed another player in there he would be useful in terms of being a loan just to supplement us, as Johnson is not good on the ball and Davenport has never started a game yet but has shown both promise and also rashness in equal measure, maybe, but not too sure really.

The thing is he would presumably be a Downing replacement. Downing gave us crucial experience which we really are lacking. I just hope that a couple of our signings give us that know how, especially one of the centre backs. Downing also took set pieces, not sure we have any set piece takers at the moment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Central midfield is right at the bottom of the priority list really. We obviously need goalkeepers and centre backs. We need a left back. We dont have anyone proven in wide areas and we could in an ideal world do with a striker all before CM.

Garner was being linked with Swansea amongst other teams recently, in the latest rumour round seemingly agent drive the teams seem to be a bit lower, us, recently promoted Coventry and then League 1 clubs so maybe just putting the feelers out.

He has only played 2 senior games too. Maybe if we felt that we needed another player in there he would be useful in terms of being a loan just to supplement us, as Johnson is not good on the ball and Davenport has never started a game yet but has shown both promise and also rashness in equal measure, maybe, but not too sure really.

The thing is he would presumably be a Downing replacement. Downing gave us crucial experience which we really are lacking. I just hope that a couple of our signings give us that know how, especially one of the centre backs. Downing also took set pieces, not sure we have any set piece takers at the moment.

Disappointed if we sign this Garner on loan.

Pointless getting in the way of our youths to develop someone else's youth.

• Like 3

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Understand that concept. Have to be sure that we are getting someone better than what we already have.

My main worry in terms of youth v experience is if we go into the season with too much youth v experience, we need to ensure we have some know how and we have lost 2 key players in Downing and Graham in that regard. We could do with some at the back for sure.

I never get any excitement at all when the inevitable links appear to United, City or Liverpool lads on loan. It happens every summer. Tosin was an exception because he was signed as a starter and had proper first team experience before coming, but our current chaotic state exists because we made that short term decision and now dont have our own player.

Maybe its our record with such loans that end up contributing little to the team. Maybe it's the fact that even if they do well they won't be here beyond May at the latest. Maybe it is because our academy is better than United's yet there seems to be the belief that anyone from them will be great 'because it's United'.

I feel Downing would be a better start in midfield but I'm not the one balancing the numbers and looking at a heavily subsidised loan for a kid rather than a hefty salary for a 36 year old.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Understand that concept. Have to be sure that we are getting someone better than what we already have.

My main worry in terms of youth v experience is if we go into the season with too much youth v experience, we need to ensure we have some know how and we have lost 2 key players in Downing and Graham in that regard. We could do with some at the back for sure.

I think we have a ready made replacement in Davenport.

He looks so composed and shifts the ball around quickly.

Downing maintained possession fantastically, however he slowed down the majority of our attacking moves.

• Like 4

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

I think we have a ready made replacement in Davenport.

He looks so composed and shifts the ball around quickly.

Downing maintained possession fantastically, however he slowed down the majority of our attacking moves.

Downing was incredibly productive though, regular assists and key passes etc. He has an end product.

With Davenport, he hasnt actually started a senior game so theres an element of unknown. Definitely shouls be around the squad but we dont knoe yet how reliable he will be. At the moment Travis and Evans are the go to duo.

From when he has played, compared to Downing he is 100mph which is good in a way but obviously can make things a little frantic and sometimes having someone to slow things down is important.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I wouldn't be.

He's a brilliant player.

In a perfect world it would be nice if we could get him with a view to signing him permanently.

We don't have anything like him of his quality in the U23's.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Downing was incredibly productive though, regular assists and key passes etc. He has an end product.

With Davenport, he hasnt actually started a senior game so theres an element of unknown. Definitely shouls be around the squad but we dont knoe yet how reliable he will be. At the moment Travis and Evans are the go to duo.

From when he has played, compared to Downing he is 100mph which is good in a way but obviously can make things a little frantic and sometimes having someone to slow things down is important.

Completely agree. From his cameos he looked very good. 

Needs a full (ironic) pre season and no injury's

18 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

I wouldn't be.

He's a brilliant player.

In a perfect world it would be nice if we could get him with a view to signing him permanently.

We don't have anything like him of his quality in the U23's.

Are you going off reputation or have you seen him?

51 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Do we have any young CMs coming through?

I've heard he's a very, very good player - better than anything we currently have (understandable considering he's coming from Manchester United).

Our midfield has been lacking for years - if this deal is true it's a very shrewd signing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I suppose an interesting question is how often has a player been promoted to the senior team and looked out of place.

For me no youth players has been promoted and looked worse than the weaker senior members of the team. Sure they might not look exceptional, but no worse than Ben Brereton, Gallagher, Bell, Mulgrew have in recent times.

I think there is an unneccesary reticence to play them. 

Absolutely.

The way we get promoted is by having a strong First XI and a bench made up of Academy graduates. It's a clogger's league - a bit of grit and organisation gets you a long way.

We'd have to replace the entire team anyway if we got into the Premier League.

• Like 1