BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

Surely the time has come to give Wharton the opportunity. You only have to look at what Ben White managed in his first season in the championship after loans in the leagues below. There’s no way Brighton would have been knocking back bids of £25m for him before he’d done a season with Leeds. What’s not to say that Wharton could form a partnership with Lenihan.

I feel his loan last season was at a league lower than is should have been but that was our mistake. He’d already won promotion from league 2 so should have been rewarded with a league 1 loan to test him at a better level. However he got promoted again from league 2 so couldn’t really do much more. It’s time to either start him or risk losing him like we did with Jack O’Connell.

White is not the norm in terms of what would likely happen and O'Connell was let go cheap but he was never played, not even as part of the squad.

Do you think with Wharton next to Lenihan would likely have us challenging at the top end of the league? By all means have him ahead of someone like Williams who we know isnt particularly good but we need more quality and experience there if we have serious aspirations, as Mowbray says we need a man there although he said that last year.

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s it, I don’t think Hart, Smallwood and Samuel do need replacing. The young lads can do that.

Davenport is a ready made replacement for Downing and we spent a lot of money on two lads bought to replace Danny Graham who need to have the chance to do this.

The only positions imo which have opened up because of the losses are Gk and cb. Which in fairness, we appear to be on the way to sorting.

Is Davenport a ready made replacement for Downing? Downing gave us an element of control, he gave us a set piece threat, he gave us experience (that is lacking somewhat) and he gave us know how and real productivity with assists. Davenport has never started a League game for us. He seems full of energy but also quite rash and constantly at 100mph, hence the penalty at Luton and the inability to compose himself when through v West Brom. There is potential there but we can be far from sure that hes going to automatically replace a player who had such an impact last season.

I dont think we have the bodies across the front line, especially if we do change to having 3 across there. It seems that he sees Rankin Costello as a full back and Rothwell as part of the midfield 3. So assume his first 3 are Gallagher, Armstrong and Dack (who isnt even fit yet) and who else is there? Brereton, with his 2 goals in 2 years. Then the enigma that is Chapman and then totally untested kids. Ultimately Gallagher and Brereton were here and I get that they need to step up (that being said it would possibly be foolish to expect it based on what weve seen) but we also had 2 other attackers, who we were correct to let go but for me we need at least another bit of quality across that front line, ideally a wide man.

I worry that Mowbray will put (down to finance) too much responsibility on kids filling the gaps that we have in the squad and its a massive risk because we dont know if they are ready. Get a couple of injuries and we could be really lacking.

I know a lot on here when FFP is mentioned think it’s an excuse not to spend, but believe me we are sailing close to the wind, just hope the financial guys at Rovers are making sure we keep within the guidelines,

The last thing we need is a points reduction, think getting rid of quite a few on the payroll will certainly help, and replace with 2/3 quality and also lads from acadamy.

See Derby got off with no penalties but their case was completely different from Rovers, their main charge was overpriced their ground where we are most concerned with going over the 39 mil over 3 years.

Hopefully see the goalie signed today with a c/b by weekend, and a couple more defenders before the window closes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh, come off it mate. We cut 6 of them loose and offered Downing a reduced package in order to make room for the players we want. The clearing of ‘deadwood’ has been satisfying to watch.

They have been open in saying which positions they want to fill with recruitment and then squad fillers come from the u23’s instead of the Harts, Smallwoods and Mulgrews of this world.

Sign one experienced CB along with Kaminski before Sat. Then push to get Cunningham in and basically we’ve got the first XI covered. Then get cover keeper and the squad is basically complete.

Get to the end of the window and see who has gone. Mulgrew is expected to go. I don’t think they’ll let Del go until they have another chance lined up

Do you really not get it or are you being deliberately obtuse? @J H Rovers knows we've let 7 go. He said so. it's those 7 squad slots that need filling. In particular, he argues we need to be able to turn to experience when it's late in game and we need to make something happen. That experience doesn't currently exist in the squad.

There's plenty more deadwood that needs to be cut out: Bell, Bennett, Williams, Mulgrew, Johnson and Holtby. Mulgrew and Johnson because they've fallen out with Mowbray and Holtby because I don't see there being a role for him, here, long term. There's an argument to be made that cutting midfielders with us being cash strapped is not the smartest idea.

Your hot tips on goalkeepers turned out to be wide of the mark. I expect your position and players to be wide of it , too. I see LB as being the pressing need before Friday. I think we're flogging a dead horse with Cunningham. The CBs we've got are enough to beat Doncaster. Wharton is better than Lindsay.  I can see where @Mike E is coming from. If a player is one we want , we should go and get him evenif it's higher than it might be later. if Kipre is one we want, we should go get him,now. Of course,there could be some discussion as to whether Kipre is one of the 'men' Mowbray wants at CB.

Davenport is not 'ready made' for anything. Buckley seems too lightweight and Rothwell seems to have lost confidence.

A key point of pre-season games is to gauge match fitness.Unfortunately, for our fitness trainers, none of our players has completed 90 minutes. Mowbray still hasn't learnt that it isn't for keeping his squad happy.

I don't see this as being a buyers market. Only Norwich who've gone out and signed 11 have made it look like it is. Especially in this financial climate, I cannot see teams willing to drop their valuation of players. Free agents don't have much incentive to drop their wage demands unless they're guaranteed first team starts. I think you've fundamentally misread this market.

Edited by Richard Oakley

46 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Wasn't Garcia at the front of the 'look, Man City's Academy is producing players for the first team' line?

Didn't realise he'd been released.

Think you’re thinking about Eric Garcia mate? He’s the jewel in the crown there by all accounts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

White is not the norm in terms of what would likely happen and O'Connell was let go cheap but he was never played, not even as part of the squad.

Do you think with Wharton next to Lenihan would likely have us challenging at the top end of the league? By all means have him ahead of someone like Williams who we know isnt particularly good but we need more quality and experience there if we have serious aspirations, as Mowbray says we need a man there although he said that last year.

Is Davenport a ready made replacement for Downing? Downing gave us an element of control, he gave us a set piece threat, he gave us experience (that is lacking somewhat) and he gave us know how and real productivity with assists. Davenport has never started a League game for us. He seems full of energy but also quite rash and constantly at 100mph, hence the penalty at Luton and the inability to compose himself when through v West Brom. There is potential there but we can be far from sure that hes going to automatically replace a player who had such an impact last season.

I dont think we have the bodies across the front line, especially if we do change to having 3 across there. It seems that he sees Rankin Costello as a full back and Rothwell as part of the midfield 3. So assume his first 3 are Gallagher, Armstrong and Dack (who isnt even fit yet) and who else is there? Brereton, with his 2 goals in 2 years. Then the enigma that is Chapman and then totally untested kids. Ultimately Gallagher and Brereton were here and I get that they need to step up (that being said it would possibly be foolish to expect it based on what weve seen) but we also had 2 other attackers, who we were correct to let go but for me we need at least another bit of quality across that front line, ideally a wide man.

I worry that Mowbray will put (down to finance) too much responsibility on kids filling the gaps that we have in the squad and its a massive risk because we dont know if they are ready. Get a couple of injuries and we could be really lacking.

I think Davenport is and will be a very assured operator in our midfield. He’s composed on the ball and will recycle possession for us.

Of the forward line, I would generally agree with all your points. Which is why, imo that come October, if the likes of BB, AA, Dack, SG, Chapman, Dolan!? aren’t pulling up any trees I fancy him to venture into the market for a last minute, Venkys style forward....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Think you’re thinking about Eric Garcia mate? He’s the jewel in the crown there by all accounts.

Garcia has said that he wants to leave City and won't sign a new contract

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/12043685/eric-garcia-wants-to-leave-manchester-city-after-turning-down-new-deal-says-pep-guardiola

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

This is the Garcia which is valued at 30million and is expected to join Barca. So very much doubt he’s someone who we’re looking at 

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Not gonna lie I straight away thought of him. I thought we'd managed to bag a quality centre half with first team apps for City then! I should have known. 

Davenport:

Superb free kick (starts at 30 secs)

15 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Am pretty certain ffp is out the window in today’s climate and may never be back in the form of unfairness as it was

It amazes me that anyone is remotely concerned about these rules anymore.

In this climate they cannot be enforced. Even those clubs who have broken the rules previously haven't been punished.

Birmingham got a meaningless points deduction, Derby got off Scott free and Wednesday are being punished for fiddling on their accounts, not overspending.

The attitude seems to be that it is fine for Derby to break the rules and spend more than everyone else using every trick in the book but yet we are meant to be well behaved and worry about overspending whilst we've a fraction of Derby's overheads. 

All suits Venkys though.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TruRover said:

This is the Garcia which is valued at 30million and is expected to join Barca. So very much doubt he’s someone who we’re looking at 

Two players bud...

Aleix Garcia - Linked CM from City’s academy

Eric Garcia - The reason Tosin hasn’t had a look in cb as you described.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I never expected in a million years we were in the market for such a prodigious talent, I was just answering PM's post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

In this climate they cannot be enforced. Even those clubs who have broken the rules previously haven't been punished.

Birmingham got a meaningless points deduction, Derby got off Scott free and Wednesday are being punished for fiddling on their accounts, not overspending.

The attitude seems to be that it is fine for Derby to break the rules and spend more than everyone else using every trick in the book but yet we are meant to be well behaved and worry about overspending whilst we've a fraction of Derby's overheads. 

All suits Venkys though.

I’d agree. They don’t seem to result in any such sanctions. Why not just crack on.

Id hazard a guess that Venkys don’t even fully know what ffp is. in the last fans forum Waggott and TM openly talked about having to “calm” the owners down because they wanted to buy this player or that.

It’s the directorship at Rovers which seem concerned with ffp. Unsure why...

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’d agree. They don’t seem to result in any such sanctions. Why not just crack on.

Id hazard a guess that Venkys don’t even fully know what ffp is. in the last fans forum Waggott and TM openly talked about having to “calm” the owners down because they wanted to buy this player or that.

When charged with overspending Derby immediately disputed it, employed a leading barrister in Nick de Marco QC and challenged it all the way. Having succeeded in that challenge they are now considering pursuing damages and compensation for lost income and sponsorship against the League.

Can you imagine Waggott and Rovers standing up and fighting like that? I doubt we'd ever challenge anything, instead just accepting whatever gets decided with a shrug of the shoulders.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We didn't fight FFP, when we got hit by it first time. Because we didn't fight it and just accepted it, we can be hit again at any time, if the league thinks there's cause. All part of the rules.

1 hour ago, Richard Oakley said:

We didn't fight FFP, when we got hit by it first time. Because we didn't fight it and just accepted it, we can be hit again at any time, if the league thinks there's cause. All part of the rules.

That's not how it works and technically it isn't even FFP anymore. It's 'profit and sustainability'.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

All suits Venkys though.

Birmingham's points deduction being meaningless is a coincidence of their points at the time. It can still relegate or cost promotion if we are unfortunate though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I remember it being 1 signing after 100 pages last summer.

We have broken the old record. Well done chaps, or should I say Chaddy, Mani, roversfan99, JoeH and Richard Oakley. You've been fantastic sports.

Obviously we aren't counting the kid we got from Preston, who may turn out to be a very significant signing in the future. 

• Like 4