589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

It's a sad end to a very good job, but Hughes has to do the honourable thing now and that is to realise his risk didn't pay off, but join City all the same.

I really don't understand why everyone is making this wild assumption that being interested in the City job is a ploy to get the Chelsea job. Hughes is a sensible and intelligent man, he wouldn't behave in such a rash and irrational way.

I posted around the time of the Newcastle rumours that Hughes would be interested in a lot of jobs outside the big four, simply because of the transfer funds available. Everton/Villa/Portsmouth/West Ham/City/Tottenham/Newcastle...I'm absolutely certain he would have taken any of those this summer because we've hit a brick-wall as far as achievement goes, until more money is available.

Perhaps it's easier for people to stomach that idea, instead of facing the truth that City are a far more attractive proposition than ourselves for a manager, and will be until we find investment.

Edited by LeChuck

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really cuts me that Hughes is off to City. If one of the top four clubs came calling, particularly Man United, then I could understand him wanting to leave. I wouldn't like it, but I could deal with it. However, I find it very hard to take the fact that is going to Manchester City. Yes they are a big club, with lots of money, but Sven, who took them from a relegation threatened team, to a top 10 finish and European football, still got the chop. How can Hughes not see that it will be almost impossible for City to accomplish the goals that this lunatic Shinawatra has set, no matter how much money he has to spend and he will have the same fate as Sven when they don't make it into the Champions League. I was reading an interesting article on the BBC website, where Dean Saunders was saying that Hughes would be better staying at Rovers and building on his reputation, than going to City and working under a very different structure, one which demands instant success and by not gaining it, not only will he be out of job, but his reputation will suffer. Saunders also talked about how when he went to Newcastle with Souness, he realised what a well run club Rovers is and that working under Shinawatra will be very difficult. Hughes should look to the likes of Souness and Bellamy and see that the grass isn't always greener and that by staying with Rovers, he can achieve the success that will no doubt take him to Old Trafford.

To me it looks like Hughes two management jobs are parallel. With Wales he did very well with the talent he had but by the end of his tenure he had apparently run out of steam and ideas and the team were playing a bit flat and one dimensional. At Rovers, again he's done well with what talent was at his disposal, bringing in some quality players as well. But as at Wales, he's seemed to run out of ideas towards the end and things weren't the same.

At least he would leave Rovers in pretty good shape as opposed to when he came in, plus we should get some compo to boot. Hoping JW is methodical with his next choice of team management and doesn't rush and appoints just anyone. We can build on what we have and maybe gives us a chance to totally revamp things from the first team all the way through to the Academy, given getting the right manager with the right team with the right ideal.

As cliched as it sounds, but it's going to be a new chapter in Rovers' history and one that was seemingly needed after this season spluttered to a finish.

After developments this week, would you be happy to see Mark Hughes still as manager of Rovers next season??

YES - without a shadow of a doubt! Frankly though I do feel angry and betrayed by Sparky. Leaving us for CITY?! Granted they are a bigger club but they are certainly not a more successful club (in recent years). At Rovers he is massively respected by the players (many of them have spoke to the press about how badly they want him to stay), enjoys total adoration from the fans and, most importantly, is given the backing and freedom by the board which just does not exist elsewhere in football these days. So he is going to a club where the majority of the starting eleven were signed by the previous manager who was sacked in controversial circumstances after only 12 months and where the board clearly do not offer the support and freedom to the manager that he is used to (I am sure however that the fans will come to love just as we do).

I could totally understand if he was leaving us for United and I would say "Thanks for all the hard work, you'll be remembered, good luck!". Added to that, he is a legend in the red side of Manchester and is considered a good prospect to be future United manager. If he goes to City and has any success then United won't touch him with a bargepole - their fans won't want him. It would be like Shearer or Dalgleish becoming manager of Burnley.

He has brought the club so far in 4 years that I just can't imagine anyone else could keep us there (not anyone who would actually have any interest in the job). Seeing Allardyce and Jewell linked to our new vacancy is upsetting (frankly I'd rather have Souness back, at least he has experienced success) - they aren't capable of maintainging our growth and momentum in terms of size or success. There is no way that the likes of McCarthy or Santa Cruz would have come to Blackburn for either of those two and similarly neither of them could have found the likes of Samba or had the nerve to put Emerton into the midfield (which was a masterstroke). Sparky is more than a manager: to potential signings he is a whole ethos! Moving to City loses him a lot of respect from me and I won't be looking back and thinking "Sparky was great" as I would if he was goingto United (or maybe even Chelsea given the massive chance of success they could offer him). He is clearly going for the money, I can see no other reason.

First of all, I too would like to express my appreciation of Hughes tenure.

However, I posted on the next manager thread that either Hughes wanted to speak with City to coax Chelsea to chase him, or he was not as ambitious as being made out, and he was not ready for the Chelsea job, and the City deal seemed a good way to avert having to reject Chelsea.

Well, now that he has gone to City, I'd like to express my feelings on Hughes supposed ambitions. IMO, the Chelsea job would be impossible to refuse for any manager at a similar stage in their careers as Hughes. They have a strong squad, just missing out on two major titles. If you believe yourself to be an even slightly better manager than Avram Grant, you would think it possible to take them one step further. At worst, you don't, and you get heavily compensated for your failure when Chelsea pay out your contract.

So, given all the speculation that Chelsea were considering Hughes, it has to be asked why Hughes jumped at the City chance, instead of stalling or perhaps risking City's offer waiting for Chelsea. That tells me one of two things:

a) Hughes is ambitious enough to have taken the Chelsea job if it was offered. However, he didn't really believe himself to be in with a chance.

B) This would apply even if a perhaps unreported approach by Chelsea was knocked back by Hughes, his haste to take the City job tells me that his ambitions are not yet as lofty as managing a top four club.

Anyway I read how the situations played out, I really get the impression of B). Reports were that Hughes and Ancelloti were the last remaining candidates on the short list. Given that Ancelloti seems well out of Chelsea reach, stating he didn't want the job, I really can't believe that as in a), Hughes didn't believe himself a chance. He must have preferred City to Chelsea. It's a cop out really.

Anyway, good luck to you Hughesy. I don't mind you finish your team above Rovers next season, so long as Rovers have finished no lower than 7th again, and your team has replaced one of those most despised "top four" clubs.

Edited by Shaddy

Yes a heartfelt thanks to Mark Hughes.

He gave us a lot of good reasons to be genuinely proud about Blackburn Rovers apart from our basic emotional attachment to the club.

We had a lot of highs and more genuinely great moments to look back on during the past three and three quarters seasons than most of us thought possible after the Souness regime had turned sour.

He leaves the club with a great squad of players and far far stronger than when he came to us. Sadly no silverware to look back to (MGP's missed header at OT-grrr) but that is all that is missing from his tenure.

Hughes himself might have been an education in profanity on the touchline but he always conducted himself with panache and quiet authority and has been a great ambassador for Blackburn Rovers.

It's a shame that the Roman ego stymied Mark's chance at having a go at Chelsea and that his bold gamble on putting Citeh into play has meant he has slipped downwards, backwards and out of Ewood at the end. But then again. £3m a year for 3 years isn't that bad a booby prize!

Leaving for Citeh is unforgivable in my eyes. Yes he did a very good job for us building a decent squad of players we must be thankful for that, but now we need a suitable replacement to take things on. I'd love it if we finished about Citeh this season coming.

What I don't understand it was I so stupidly deceived all these years or was this man a complete liar? Every interview he seemed happy to be at Rovers, he seemed like he cared about the club and the fans (and not just because we were paying him), and now he dumps us faster than Souness did, for an even worse position.

I'm guessing it's the former, but I really struggle to see the difference between someone who's there because they respect the club and someone who just wants to get out at the first available posting.

It has really left me a bit sick.

What I don't understand it was I so stupidly deceived all these years or was this man a complete liar? Every interview he seemed happy to be at Rovers, he seemed like he cared about the club and the fans (and not just because we were paying him), and now he dumps us faster than Souness did, for an even worse position.

I'm guessing it's the former, but I really struggle to see the difference between someone who's there because they respect the club and someone who just wants to get out at the first available posting.

It has really left me a bit sick.

I think it's because we see things one way and football managers and players see it another. Like you I felt that there was a bond between Hughes and the fans and I think it suited him to let us feel that. I don't think his leaving is because all the time he's been lying to us. I think there really was something there but not as much as we wanted there to be. There never will be unless, like shearer at Newcastle, you're at the club you support. Hughes was not a rovers fan, but a rovers' employee and, whilst you have to buy into the club ethos a bit to be able to work for them properly, you are not one of the fans.

He'll be out of a job this time next year. Good.

Oh, definitely. If they sacked Sven for not getting into the CL, I pity anyone's chances. They have to hope Arsenal or Liverpool slip up (not likely), and there will still be fierce competition from the likes of Everton and Spurs.

Goodbye and thank you Mark. I think he will do well at City and hope he does. I just wish the club could have given him the finances he needed to take us further and keep him here.

Great 3 and a half seasons with us I think. We progressed to steadily move away from the bottom half. Brought in a couple of world class players. However, I feel the rather high position we finished this season kind of hid the poor un-correctable performances and mistake. Lots of our shortcomings on the pitch were repeated over and over again. Maybe change is good for Sparky and for Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

He left us in a better position than when he joined us, just as Graeme Souness had done. How many clubs can say that when they change managers?

Not many.

Thank you Mark.

Is it just me or is anyone else strangely 'apathetic' about losing Hughes today?

He was not a bad manager for us but we have had more successful ones recently who brought silverware to the club.

No, SG, completely disagree, still gutted, like the Man City chief executive said today I think we have just lost the brightest young manager in the game.

Well done the Trustees - take a bow.

Still spilt milk and all that. We've got to do the best we can with the next appointment.

I think it doesn't really matter who comes in in the sense that they're liable to struggle unless a sensible transfer budget is arrived at. That's at least as important as the identity of the new man imo.

Just hoping lack of funding doesn't prevent an exciting appointment.

Wonder if we'll see the mooted 10m pre sale transfer kitty disappear into the ether now?

Initially I was gutted to see Hughes was leaving. he's done a great job and it's a shame to see him go.

Then again, he thinks he's taken the club as far as he can......and maybe he's right. Is that because he can't take it any further or because the clkub can't go any further? I reckon that if we make another really good appointment then we could improve and this maight look like a good thing a couple of years from now. Look where we were when Souness walked out and compare to now. If we appoint a manager in the Hughes mould then maybe he could take things forward and see us in the top 6 and challenging for cups maybe. Whoever the new man is, and there are enough likely candidates who could do a decent job, we need someone who has Hughes's poositivity but can transfer that attitude to the players so they really go for it in matches. I think that this season we often struggle to get going until things went wrong.

I'm looking forward with optimism for the future. That's until we appoint BFS anyway.

We will struggle to find anyone who can spend money as wisely as Hughes.

As Sparky said, he cannot keep pulling rabbits out of the hat. It is impossible to keep finding really good bargains.

Therefore, we will struggle, especially in this ultra competitive environment.

Edited by John

I disagree John

Like many others point out, Rovers may have just neeed that wind of fresh air and this move just might be the Rovers taking the next POSITIVE step.

Lets be certain about it, City's interest hasnt just happened overnight, it must have been lingering for some time.

But thanks Mark, now your'e gone

Its time for us to all move on

bring your blues to Ewood Park

Its when we will you yell and bark

And once again, a game will see

your points ZERO while we take 3.

And at that point the manky little Thai might just be getting a good hiding in the Board Room :rolleyes: (from his own fans)

How could he possibly shake this man's hand ?

ShinawatraBlair_468x510.jpg

A man who is reviled across the world, with allegations of dictatorship, corruption and abuse of power.

A wealthy individual with a terrible worldwide reputation as somebody who tried to destroy democracy. He wanted to suppress the media and grind his opponents into the dirt.

How could Thaksin Shinawatra possibly shake the hand of a disgraced man like Tony Blair ?

Thaksin should be ashamed of himself.

With regard to our former manager Mark Hughes, I'm extremely disappointed that he has welcomed with open arms the prospect of working for this despised Thai dictator, who has had his assets frozen following allegations of corruption and abuse of power.

I feel Hughes is a man of principle and is unlikely to be prepared to work for a man like Abramovich.

But he's prepared to work for a Thai who has been condemned by Amnesty International for serious human rights abuses and has had his assets frozen following corruption allegations.

Picking up on Pauls comment. I also believe that Hughes is a man of principle.

I'd be interested to know if you two gentlemen, Paul and Alan, still believe that Hughes is a man of principle - because sadly I don't.

I feel that Hughes has handled this episode extremely badly and let down a lot of people. I have the strong suspicion that he was in secret talks with Man City before Sven was officially sacked.

The statement from Blackburn Rovers on Monday morning: "Mark has made it clear to the board he would like the opportunity to talk to Manchester City," indicated an indecent haste on the part of Hughes, who seemingly didn't even want to wait five minutes until after Sven had officially been sacked.

I feel that going to Man City will do nothing to enhance Hughes's reputation. Certainly in terms of his reputation for loyalty, sincerity, commitment and honourable values, Hughes's reputation has taken a nosedive as far as I'm concerned.

After all, on January 14th, 2008, following a question as to whether he was interested in a move to Newcastle, Hughes told Sky Sports: "I have the support from the chairman (John Williams) and the board. That is something you do not give up lightly. The fact is I have continuity here and a good situation. Things are in place and I am very conscious of that."

"I am Blackburn manager and have a job to do here. In football you need time and I have been given that. I am proud to be manager of this club."

(A link to these quotes from Hughes are HERE)

He claimed to be proud to have been the Blackburn Rovers manager in January this year - telling Rovers fans "I have a job to do here" - but that job lasted just a few more months before he wanted to bugger off to a club which has finished lower than Rovers in the Premiership in each of the last three seasons. A club which has not won a trophy for 32 years since the 1976 League Cup.

In the 2005/06 and the 2006/07 season Man City finished in the bottom half of the table. In the 2007/08 season City did better under Sven and finished 9th, but he was still sacked. What if Hughes finishes only 9th or lower next season, will he be sacked too? Shinawatra seems to think that 9th isn't good enough.

When Hughes looked so downbeat in his TV interview after the 4-1 loss to Birmingham on the final day, I wonder whether he was also concerned after hearing that Man City had lost 8-1 to Middlesbrough. Perhaps back in May, with Sven looking likely to go, Hughes had already cast his eyes on the City job.

Perhaps before the final game of the season back in May there had already been contact between City and Hughes. Who knows? But what I do know is that given Hughes's desperation to get into bed (metaphorically) with a man like Dr Shinawatra and earn himself a significant salary increase in the process, Hughes's reputation has been badly damaged in my eyes.

I feel that Hughes has put money before principle. For me he's now the Welsh Lucas Neill. Extremely disappointed with the man.

Sparky gambled on Chelsea and got the booby prize- nothing more or less sinister than that.

The records of Rovers' Premier League Managers (straight crib off Wikipedia):

Name Nat From To Record

G W L D Win %

Mark Hughes September 2004 June 2008 188 82 59 47 43.61

Graeme Souness March 2000 September 2004 212 86 65 61 40.56

Brian Kidd December 1998 November 1999 44 12 14 18 27.27

Roy Hodgson June 1997 November 1998 62 22 22 18 35.48

Ray Harford June 1995 October 1996 64 24 27 13 37.5

Kenny Dalglish October 1991 June 1995 195 102 47 46 52.30

When you consider Souness' record includes the promotion run, Sparky getting a higher win percentage is seriously impressive.