BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Squad.

Goalkeepers Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Midfielders Gerrard, Henderson, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Strikers Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

looks like Carroll, Carrick, Cleverly and Ashley Cole have been left out.

Good squad there for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2625762/Luke-Shaw-beats-Ashley-Cole-make-Roy-Hodgsons-England-team-World-Cup.html

my team would be:-

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerrard Lallana

Studrridge Rooney Sterling

in a 4-3-3 formation

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeepers Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

Midfielders Gerrard, Henderson, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Strikers Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

looks like Carroll, Carrick, Cleverly and Ashley Cole have been left out.

Good squad there for me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2625762/Luke-Shaw-beats-Ashley-Cole-make-Roy-Hodgsons-England-team-World-Cup.html

my team would be:-

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerrard Lallana

Studrridge Rooney Sterling

in a 4-3-3 formation

Why play Sturridge wide? Sturridge centre forward, Rooney number 10, Lallana one side, Sterling the other.

Happy in the main, but why Lampard, Smalling and Welbeck? Lampard is past it yet I bet he starts. The other 2 are complete @#/?, Stones and Caulker are both better than Smalling.

I would have taken Cole but I can see the reasons why he isn't going. I'd rather we go with youth just to give some fresh players a chance so in general I'm pleased with the selection. Don't know why Lampard gets a gig but then again I can't think of many others who deserve to go in his place.

Excited about Lallana, Sterling and Barkley. Really hope they get given a chance.

That is one of the worst England squads for a major tournament that I have seen in a long time, I'll be amazed if we make it out of the group stage. Sadly Hodgson has gone with the idiotic calls in the media to send the kids and left someone with the experience and ability of Cole at home. A World Cup is not the time to send inexperienced youngsters, the time for that is during the Euros qualifying and the tournament itself so that they have tournament experience for the World Cup, sending them now particularly with the tough group we have will give them unnecessary mental scarring come 2018.

Why play Sturridge wide? Sturridge centre forward, Rooney number 10, Lallana one side, Sterling the other.

Happy in the main, but why Lampard, Smalling and Welbeck? Lampard is past it yet I bet he starts. The other 2 are complete @#/?, Stones and Caulker are both better than Smalling.

Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling roam and play with freedom. lets not restrict them and tell them to go and play.

That's possibly, the technically poorest England World Cup squad I've seen.

Really?? I would say technically it is the most able for a good while. Exceptionally so compared to a lot of the England sides of recent years. Lallana, Barkley, Wiltshire, Oxlaide-Chamberlian, Rooney, Sturridge, Stirling, Baines are all very technically capable. Stirling for one is sensational with his feet. Easily can stand up to anyone we have had in the last twenty five years bar Scholes, Gascoigne, maybe Waddle and Barnes, in terms of beating a player.

I would not say ability with the ball is where we are weak. Rather it is at the back. Defence looks very very shaky.

Defensive-wise that team will get slaughtered by any half-decent team. Really dont understand taking 3 keepers too. 2 is cover.

Really shows the shortage of top class english players at the moment.

bull, we have some great yount talent, in the likes of lallana, sterling, barkley. sturridge and shaw with some good experienced players like rooney and gerrard, we are weak at centerback but as long as he takes the young 'uns then I think a quarter final place is possible. Some of you are posting about how poor England are because of your hatred of the England team.

bull, we have some great yount talent, in the likes of lallana, sterling, barkley. sturridge and shaw with some good experienced players like rooney and gerrard, we are weak at centerback but as long as he takes the young 'uns then I think a quarter final place is possible. Some of you are posting about how poor England are because of your hatred of the England team.

Hatred?

Personally i see a big weakness in defence, a all-round weakness in ability and a big weakness in management.

I honestly think we'll struggle to get out of the group.

fair enough, I already stated our defence is pretty mediocre but to say this is the poorest England squad in years is ridiculous, we are giving some of these talented youngsters a chance for once and leaving behind some of the more experienced players, something people have been crying out for years and people still complain, attacking wise I think we can give Italy and Uruguay a good game and possibly win, defensively though I worry about coming up against suarez and cavani, but I really don't see anything in Uruguay or Italy to fear apart from the aforementioned players.

To be fair I like Cahill and Jagielka but I do think not taking Cole is a big mistake. The problem, as usual, is that the best centre halves in the prem are all foreign!. Oh for an English Kompany or Vidic!

Anyway, I'm going now, I've had way too much beer and this is taking far too long to type!

I'll try again tomorrow!

Most uninspiring England squad I've seen before a major tournament. It's not the managers fault, it's state of the English game that's to blame.

We'll be lucky to get our of the group.

Strange that Carrick wasn't picked. A.Cole is far from favourites but I would have picked him. England could well with Liverpool style but Roy is more like Jose style manager. The Jose style at Anfield I mean. England will go through from the group stage as you can't be knocked out by the penalties that early.

Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling roam and play with freedom. lets not restrict them and tell them to go and play.

Good comment. Sturbridge and Sterling have only profited so much this season because of Rodgers tactics.

Those who say it is a weak squad have a point but it would be a weak squad whoever he picked. Defence worries me most, we have no stand out quality at centre half. No way would I take Lampard, wellbeck, or smalling and even Lambert would be on the toss of a coin as the 'fall back' big man to be shoved on and provide for a more direct last 20 would be either Carroll or even Crouch who IMO has never let England down and has an excellent scoring record. Not as fearsome as Carroll but much better on the ground.

To those like Somerset rover who think it is idiotic to go for youth remember its going to be fiercely hot out there and the thought of lampard, carrick and barry etc plodding around chasing the ball against opponents who are better suited to playing in those conditions is not pleasant. Not only that but as I've said for the past couple of years we don't have a cat in hells chance of winning this competition a and we should be using it to blood the squad for a tilt at the Euros in two years time. The old guard let us down in south Africa, they had their chance then and they failed miserably. The Germans under jochen mass showed the best way forward by binning off all the 'names' and going with youth.

Just a pity Gareth Bale is welsh and will never play in the world cup finals.

It's the first time I've looked at a squad and thought "jeez, we have nothing to lose"

I can't say that i think Jagielka and Cahill are poor, but the thought of them against pace is scary. I don't rate Baines defensively like Cole so that's a risk.

I also think sturridge is not intelligent enough to be heralded as a world class striker, and from the bits I've seen sterling can be hit and miss. Rooney has never hit the heights he should and the fact we still are taking Stevie G and Lamps says it all about midfield.

I think we will struggle to score goals and struggle to leave the group. Our backups are poor- Wellbecks season has been a disaster.

The only player I think is up to it is the goalkeeper.

So on the basis of that, I am not expecting anything- anything will be a bonus. As Gordon says, lots of this group will be a good age come 2016/18 so it's a good time to give them a baptism.

The one thing that will make the most difference to any competition for us is pressure. It's not that we can't make footballers who can cope with pressure, it's the unnecessary stuff our press seem to resort to- the building of expectation resulting in blame culture.

To summarise. I'm looking forward to the World Cup, but not to watch England!

Archived