BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Bowyer deserves a great deal of praise for the job he did. Even now, 9 months after his departure, the club is relying on cashing in on his good work in the transfer market. Nigh on £30 million pocketed mainly due to Bowyer's signings and player development, and in Marshall, Duffy, Evans and possibly Conway, all Bowyer signings, remain the last few million they can obtain before the well runs dry.

It makes their decision to dispense with him even more baffling, because if there was one man who delivered what they appear to want - big profits on players - then he was doing it.

I don't believe that they will allow the club to go into admin, because of the shame it would bring to them and their family and also because they would have to relinquish control of the club and step back whilst an administrator took control and made decisions. Somehow I just cannot see Venkys ever allowing that to happen.

You could argue that he should've had us up near the top of the league with those players at his disposal. We never even threatened 6th place.

But yes, he did sign some decent prospects. Big difference now is that we're not prepared to pay the fees for the likes of Rudy/Cairney/Evans however small.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new very real problem we are hurtling for is that any new owner coming in could be well put off by knowing the squad is in tatters, so spending circa of £5-10m is absolutely required to get this squad competitive to stay in this league never mind promotion.

I want venkys to go more than anything so don't think my opening line is thinking we need them, it just has me thinking we are surely not that attractive of a purchase for anybody especially if as expected the scumbags simply load the £110m+ debt on to the club on exit!

China and Jorges Mendes are on a mission to get a massive foot hold in the country. That could be our saviour but you are getting into bed with another agent, all be it the best agent out there.

Did I even say that at all?

Maybe read what I say 1st!!!

JB's post above makes the same points as me.

Why sell the all the best players then sell the club? Cos you are going to get less for it. Keep the best players then sell it and you get more for it surely?

Also if this money from players sales is just to pay for day to day running costs and paying of BOI loan, then what about the 100 mil plus in debt? Also why would a new owner want to spend millions on buying a club when its over 100 millions in debt?

Players are not actually worth as much on paper as they are in real life, if you look at the player amortisation on balance sheets they are worth a lot less. Hanley would have been worth about £1-£2 million on paper.

If you want to get more money in for a sale, selling players is the best way to do it.

But we've got Coyle. An proven incompetent and a suspected liar

Outrageous comment, he is not suspected at all :-)

Even the Walker Trust did it selling players then reducing the asking price from 45 mill to 25. These lot aren't the Walker Trust though they are dodgy imbeciles whose buttons are pressed by even dodgier % men :(

On crowds of 8000 and very little commercial or merchandising income we would need to be in League Two to be self sufficient. There is no way on earth the massively reduced income stream can support a Championship club.

They are liars Chaddy. They want to squeeze every last drop out of this club and selling off the last assets we have will put more money into their coffers. Had they accepted the Seneca bid they would have missed out on the Hanley money and potentially Duffy and Marsha

I think making the club self sufficient seems to be the plan and I would agree that we would have to drop down to at least League One and possibly lower to make it work. Money seems to be going into the Academy - just look at the number of lads involved not to mention all the sport science and back up staff down there. Rather than looking to sell at the moment, I get the feeling that they are simply going to allow the club to find its own level without having to prop it up financially. The amount of money that Coyle gets from the Hanley transfer will be a good indicator. The fact that he is talking about loans suggests he has been told not to expect very much.

But who is going to buy the club when the current owners have sold the best players?

makes it less valuable to sell surely?

Plus why ignore the Seneca's bid? and denial they was an approach to buy the club. But I have noticed that Seneca haven't make any public comments about their bid aswell.

I wouldn't be surprise if they are looking to reduce the debt whilst looking to run the club minimal money and the club having to be self sufficent

or they are thinking along the lines.....we don't care what happens in future, sell anything we can get money from then sell the club to those idiot supporters who'll buy the club in whatever mess we leave it in.

They may have been advised that the two Ians as supporters will try and save the club in whatever mess they leave it. Why sell earlier in the summer when there are still assets to rob from the club first then sell the club.

As it happens I don't think this is the exit stratergy and still think they are not changing tact from their original vision, no long term contracts for players, sell any player who returns a profit and lease players. Cut all non playing staff who don't return a profit. Run the club like a call centre. Next season ticket sales will be dealt with by a call centre in India.

But surely if the plan is to make the club stand on its own feet then part of that process would be to boost income through sponsorship, commercial activity, corporate, executive boxes etc? A good start on that front would be to recruit a capable, experienced, commercial director who would then be allowed to do whatever necessary to bring in every possible penny on the commercial side of the club.

Instead we've got an accountant doing that job, as well as being financial director, managing director and communications director.

Seems to me they are playing at it. There's no point complaining about a lack of money and revenue and then only putting season tickets on sale in mid June (most other clubs put them on sale in February or March). No point complaining about a lack of money and then finding a way to annoy existing season ticket holders in the Riverside (putting their prices up), Jack Walker lower (making them move to make way for families) and Blackburn Upper (shutting their stand down and moving them to an area with poorer views).

One way to significantly boost ticket revenue would be to make the Darwen Upper the away area. Charge the likes of Norwich £35 a ticket, like they will undoubtedly do when we go there, whilst charging £20 a head in the lower tier. Only open the lower tier to away fans once the upper tier has sold out, (just like Bolton have always done with us but the opposite way round).

They could charge Leeds, Wednesday, QPR, Brighton, Ipswich and numerous others £30 odd a head just like Rovers fans get charged at their grounds. Yet Rovers have made the choice not to do that and then complain about a lack of revenue.

They could find a secondary sponsor for the home shirt/shorts like many other Championship clubs have, and yet don't do that. They could find someone to sponsor Ewood Park, and whilst I'm not overly keen on renaming the ground the financial rewards of doing so could make it a sacrifice worth making.

Huddersfield have shown what can be achieved by one of those clubs with smaller gates outside the city clubs if you have ambition and a clued up ownership and board running the show.

Rovers appear to want to wave the white flag and are laying all the groundwork for being a League One club for the long term.

I think making the club self sufficient seems to be the plan and I would agree that we would have to drop down to at least League One and possibly lower to make it work. Money seems to be going into the Academy - just look at the number of lads involved not to mention all the sport science and back up staff down there. Rather than looking to sell at the moment, I get the feeling that they are simply going to allow the club to find its own level without having to prop it up financially. The amount of money that Coyle gets from the Hanley transfer will be a good indicator. The fact that he is talking about loans suggests he has been told not to expect very much.

How is a Club ''finding its own level'' when there are owners constantly dumbing it down in a drive to oblivion?

Rovers will end up at a level of the owners choice and that has SFA to do with 'finding its own level' crap

Based on the last 4 seasons we've had average gates of 14,000+ and season ticket sales of 10,000+. Those sales and attendances have been remarkably consistent in that time, that's despite chaotic mismanagement of the club, that's despite a relegation scrap in 2012-13 and an average position somewhere in mid table/bottom half.

On those figures the clubs level is the Championship. 14,000 a week is a competitive average attendance when considering the misery we've had to endure for large parts of that time. If we had looked at any time like we could challenge for promotion I'm sure that 14,000 number would have been significantly higher, however for the last 2 seasons we've had a relegation scrap/nothing to play for after January.

You have to charge away teams the same as they would pay for a corresponding seat in the home end.

A corresponding seat would be in the Upper Tier of the Blackburn End, which Cheston has said will only be re-opened once demand requires it. So I see no reason why we can't make the Upper tiers £30+ a ticket and give the Darwen End upper to away fans. Then if they fill that area then open the lower tier. Lower tiers could be £20 a head on matchday so Rovers fans in the lower tiers get reasonable prices on matchday. The Blackburn End Upper could be made £30+ to home fans and only be available when demand required it.

I'm fed up with being fleeced at away games - Ipswich last season on a cold Tuesday night costing £30 odd, and then Rovers charging them less when they come to Ewood.

If that's the case then it's not acceptable in any way shape or form. What is the point of that? It's a sport. A competitive pursuit.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps Swansea's new owners spent their millions in order to ensure they drop to their natural level too. Restore some balance to the crazy world of football.

Not having a pop Parson. Just can't see any possible gain to anyone if this were the case.

Based on the last 4 seasons we've had average gates of 14,000+ and season ticket sales of 10,000+. Those sales and attendances have been remarkably consistent in that time, that's despite chaotic mismanagement of the club, that's despite a relegation scrap in 2012-13 and an average position somewhere in mid table/bottom half.

On those figures the clubs level is the Championship. 14,000 a week is a competitive average attendance when considering the misery we've had to endure for large parts of that time. If we had looked at any time like we could challenge for promotion I'm sure that 14,000 number would have been significantly higher, however for the last 2 seasons we've had a relegation scrap/nothing to play for after January.

A corresponding seat would be in the Upper Tier of the Blackburn End, which Cheston has said will only be re-opened once demand requires it. So I see no reason why we can't make the Upper tiers £30+ a ticket and give the Darwen End upper to away fans. Then if they fill that area then open the lower tier. Lower tiers could be £20 a head on matchday so Rovers fans in the lower tiers get reasonable prices on matchday. The Blackburn End Upper could be made £30+ to home fans and only be available when demand required it.

I'm fed up with being fleeced at away games - Ipswich last season on a cold Tuesday night costing £30 odd, and then Rovers charging them less when they come to Ewood.

Brown Nose Cheston must be scared of taking to many tickets off Wigan . We've taken a smaller option of 2900.

Brown Nose Cheston must be scared of taking to many tickets off Wigan . We've taken a smaller option of 2900.

Lets watch the police restrict Rovers to 3,500 or something similar. Despite a long history of filling the away end at Wigan with no trouble.

Or alternatively if Rovers fans sell out then the police will move kick off to 12:30.

Rovers, always happy to help, will agree to it no problem.

Lets watch the police restrict Rovers to 3,500 or something similar. Despite a long history of filling the away end at Wigan with no trouble.

Or alternatively if Rovers fans sell out then the police will move kick off to 12:30.

Rovers, always happy to help, will agree to it no problem.

Your right about us getting shafted off the Police. Dave Whelan has some history with GMP though. He questioned their policing bill and was in dispute with them a few years back.

The club was doing fine at it's proper level before they arrived. To suggest the clubs level is league 1 or 2 doesn't really stack up with the clubs history.

Don't let them dumb your expectations down

Basically a club's level is defined by income and expenditure unless you have owners who are prepared to bridge that gap and put in more besides. When the taxman and the bank manager come calling wanting cash, pointing to the club's history will carry very little weight. The owners clearly aren't prepared to put money into building a first team squad that can challenge for promotion. Therefore, in the short term, the club will find it's own level based on the income it can generate. As JHRover explained, we aren't very good at doing that and hence the manager - no matter who it is - will have to build a team on free transfers and loans. Eventually that will lead to League One football. We know the club was at a totally different level before Venky's arrived but, sadly, that is now history and we are having to start again but without the financial backup that we desperately need.

And if we are going down that road it would be better to do it without them via admin or something. Once this club is in league 1 with them and their agent buddies at the helm it's game over that's where it stays.

Far easier blooding and using young home grown players and freebies and loans in the middle of league 1. Low cost base and external debt minimal with a conveyor belt of players to sell on regularly for mostly modest fees a bit like a chicken rearing unit. They'll love that and so will the people running their players through our books and taking their cut.

I'd take that as the future if they fecked off but with them no chance they've almost at times purposely pulled this club to bits and when it is where they want it they'll ensure it stays there.

Basically a club's level is defined by income and expenditure unless you have owners who are prepared to bridge that gap and put in more besides. When the taxman and the bank manager come calling wanting cash, pointing to the club's history will carry very little weight. The owners clearly aren't prepared to put money into building a first team squad that can challenge for promotion. Therefore, in the short term, the club will find it's own level based on the income it can generate. As JHRover explained, we aren't very good at doing that and hence the manager - no matter who it is - will have to build a team on free transfers and loans. Eventually that will lead to League One football. We know the club was at a totally different level before Venky's arrived but, sadly, that is now history and we are having to start again but without the financial backup that we desperately need.

Well yes obviously the clubs finances will dictate the level but you've always been, since this charade began, quite quick to imply that the club was never big enough to be where it was and the fall was just a natural levelling out. The level we should expect from this club is where it was not where it's going. Maybe that's why we'll always be polar opposites. Your happy to go along with it whereas I left in disgust a long time ago.

That's the thing though PB - and just backs up evidence towards virtually everything they have said from when they rolled in and what comes out of the club - lies, lies and even more lies.

Its this as to why many of us cannot trust anything that goes on at the club or what is said

We cannot start again until the loons are gone - simple as.

As for the Wigan game for those intending to go - can't stop you from turning up - just don't go to the game ( at present I am in two minds whether to get a ticket or not or just stay in town , but I do live in Wigan nowadays )

• Moderation Lead

This natural level comment is particularly irksome. How many clubs in the PL get most of their revenue from TV money? That could have been us! Oh wait, it was.......Made even more galling by the fact that the biggest TV deal of all time has been announced and we're miles away.

This natural level comment is particularly irksome. How many clubs in the PL get most of their revenue from TV money? That could have been us! Oh wait, it was.......Made even more galling by the fact that the biggest TV deal of all time has been announced and we're miles away.

Yeah, I don't buy this 'natural level' lark either. Only need to look down the road at our tin-pot neighbours and who they're lining up against this season to show it means nothing.

Archived