BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Birmingham 3-3 (phew)

cn174

Tugay - 4 - i'm afraid to say he was just woeful today.  See above.

Emerton - 8 - another very pleasing performance

Funnily enough, I'd swap those markings.

Toogs pass out right for Jansen's goal was sublime.

Whereas Bert was about 30% (and I've measured this scientifically, with a ruler) "on top of his game." When he is on form, defenders are soiling their pants. Today there was no need for the placcy bag in the Brum dressing room, that's for sure.

One pass gets you an 8? Toogs is finished in my opinion. A fancy pass here and there means nowt when the opposition is walking right through him.

Emerton did OK today diassapered for a bit but was instrumental in keeping us moving forward many times.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McEveley was daft to vacate the space that Melchiot eventually ran into but he still breezed past Reid with alarming ease. I can't see how the miscued clearance can be seen as anything other than a poor mistake by him either, he made the effort to get back but that doesn't make it right...

Don't get me wrong, he did some good things today and he certainly has a part to play in our first team, I just think that a natural left footer is the long term answer to the left side and Emerton is better than Reid....I couldn't give a monkeys whether that player is Pedersen or not, just used him as an example.

Was an enthralling game.

I like the line-up Sparky is playing. Todd and Nissa are the most reliable at the moment at centre-halves whilst Neill and McEveley will be persisted with.

Tugay should be benched for David Thompson. Thommo is a remarkable player when flying and he is finally 99% fit and should be given 90 minutes. He showed his spark when he set up Reids goal and ran around like a fox terrier.

Honestly thought I'd be having more relegation thoughts at Half Time, but we did well. Reid is in fine form at the moment and he deserved a goal for his past month. As for Gallagher, well, I love that man. Glad to see he is working his way back into the line-up.

Dickov is the man. Without this bloke, we'd be complete easy beats.

Oh, and I nearly lost it when Jansen scored. Legend of the club.

All in all, defensive idiocy lost us 3 points once more.

i think we're in the same situation as Norwich. wins are much more important now than those 2-pts-per-win times. like leicester and man city last year, their inability to win (or lose) really cost them. i think hughes should instill a winning mentality soon (e.g. sam allardyce? david moyes?making Bolton? everton? players watch schumacher win F1), before it gets too late.

with southampton, palace, west brom and norwich being almost as **** as us, i think we still have a high chance of survival. But action has to be taken soon.

I'm sure I read someone earlier say that midfield was not a problem for Rovers today. Good grief, how badly can you read a game? All Birmingham's goals came as a result of their midfield running past ours into space. Ferguson and Tugay were pathetic defensively in the first half. They may be quality when they have the ball but without it they are a liability.

I think Hughes needs a rethink regarding tactics. He has given Ferguson more freedom to get forward thank Souness ever did. Whilst this may make us a more potent attacking force, it leaves us dreadfully susceptible to the counter-attack.

Ferguson makes a lung-bursting run into the opposition box, doesn't receive the ball. He's now effectively out of the game for the next few minutes positionally and stamina wise. This leaves the frightening prospect of Tugay being the only shield for the back four. Frightening that is for us Rovers fans, needless to say, not the oppositon forwards or midfielders.

Hughes has to ask Ferguson to sacrifice those forward runs for central midfield stability - until we get a decent defensive midfielder. I don't know if Tommo is one of those but he must start ahead of Tugay.

"lung bursting run "?

Sorry rover6, 'lung bursting runs' are for the likes of me, late 50's, not for some fit bloke earning squllions, keeping fit, footballer in his mid to late 20's. rolleyes.gif

Someone like Ferguson should be able to do that time and time again, and not even be out of breath.

It's either that or I should be making a come back laugh.gif

The team I would play

freidel

neill

gray

johansson

todd

fergie

thommo

reid

emerton

dickov

gallagher

subs

stead (if fit)/jansen

enckleman

mgp

short

danns

Same for me, only switching Dickov for Stead when he's fully fit and with enough confidence.

I think Mark Hughes has to teach to guys not defend like schoolboys. Did you count how many times we had 3 or more players just going for the ball leaving huge gaps all over the field. Way too many. You can't just blame the defenders for the goals when midfielders allow so much free space for your opposition. For example Anderton's goal. Yoi can't simple blame Johansson. If he was lucky he could have been where ball came. But he was left there with 3 Brum players. Where were Tugay/Ferguson? Nowhere near. As much as I've liked Tugay, it's time for him to get a place on the bench not on pitch.

Some of you have also critized Nissa's passing abilities. Yes, he's not a great passer: especially his long passes are usually awful. But why on earth does he have to play like this (applies to all our defenders)? Because, they get no support from our midfield. The occasions when Tugay/Ferguson came to give them some other options for passes were limited. If our defenders have to be our playmakers with their limited abilities, no wonder why the opposition gets some much on the ball, which means goalscoring chances and eventually goals.

I truly hope Hughes sorts out this defensive problem.

If anyone thought Rovers fans were fickle, you should have heard the brummies in the pub I was in. Until Savage scored, they were slagging him off over and over. The quote I liked best was

"C'mon Savage your mother could have done better you git"

Actually git wasn't the word he said but you get the idea.

Good match to watch. Great spirit there - and had Dickov scored at the end, I would have been murdered in the pub in Solihull for not being able to control my emotions.

At least now M Hughes should see that Thompson should be starting ahead of Tugay.

I'm suprised at how much praise Steven Reid is getting, he cost us two goals today and his goal was down to a deflection. If Pedersen finds some form I would still move Emerton back out to the right to make room for him.

Are you for real?

I tell you why MGP isnt playing atm! Thats because he is poor defensivly, and with McEveley on the left back that would leave us extremly exposed. Reid on the other hand (not been a hughe fan btw), always gets stuck in, he can tackle and is much better defensivly than Pedersen.

Just the thought of Pedersen and McEveley on the left is frightning. If we can get a few decent results under our belt soon, then I'm sure Pedersen will be given a chance, but atm we just can't afford to make ourself more exposed than we already are.

I would not change the back 4 at all. Players need a few games together to gel, changing it around continuesly will help no one. It didn't look great at the back yesterday but it will come. Need to look at the midfield, why weren't they tracking back. Brum had 5 players in the box for the anderton goal, our midfielders weren't anywhere to be seen.

"lung bursting run "?

Sorry rover6, 'lung bursting runs' are for the likes of me, late 50's, not for some fit bloke earning squllions, keeping fit, footballer in his mid to late 20's. rolleyes.gif

Someone like Ferguson should be able to do that time and time again, and not even be out of breath.

Well, he'd be able to if he had a decent VO2 max level!

ohmy.giflaugh.gif

Guest Kamy100

Great fightback by the team and it shows that at least they have lots of heart and spirit, however in terms of quality at times yesterday it was lacking.

The defence has come in for criticism and much of it I agree with but also have to blame the midfield for the goals we conceded. Both Savage and Anderton goals were due to messers Tugay and Ferguson not tracking the runners from midfield which then exposed the defence. I thought that Mckevley was poor (possibly due to the fact he seemed to be hobbling after about 10 minutes) as consistently Melchiott (sp?) got passed him with ease but credit to him that he stuck in there and hopefully with time and experience he will get better and better.

Unfortunately due to our prediciment we need to turn these draws into wins. With the spirit and fighting qualities that I have seen over the last few games I am still hopeful we can turn this season round.

I thought that Mckevley was poor (possibly due to the fact he seemed to be hobbling after about 10 minutes) as consistently Melchiott (sp?) got passed him with ease but credit to him that he stuck in there and hopefully with time and experience he will get better and better.

His man was really Damien Johnson, Melchiot played very well but he's the rb. Emo/Reid must take a lot of blame for leaving Jay McEverly so exposed.

I agree Thenodrog, Jay McEverly was left marking two men, and when Birmingham realised this they made the most of it, but what a game Melchiott had, he had Emerson in he's pocket, and was still their most danger when he came forward, just wish we had him.

Cannot blame Jay. It was emerton who was giving him very little cover. If you watched match of the day last night it highlighted what birmingham were doing, switching play very well and pulling blackburn very narrow.

That was the main problem.

Steven reid i though played very well and deserved man of the match, not dickov.

Also glad to see gally and jansen get on the scoresheet

very true.

However, Emo and Reid have been playing infinitely better in an attacking sense since Hughes came along. It's so refreshing to see our wide players (esp. Emo) running at defenders and getting to the bye-line. Souness doesn't seem to like wingers and seemed to stifle their confidence.

Just look at Newcastle's performance against ManUre the other week- they were constantly trying to play it through the middle and never looked like succeeding other than Shearer's goal

His man was really Damien Johnson, Melchiot played very well but he's the rb.  Emo/Reid must take a lot of blame for leaving Jay McEverly so exposed.

Totally agree TND

My observations - for the third game running I have come off after seeing two teams who are certainly going to be in the running for relegation - the common denominator being US.

Speaking to a couple of other members of the this MB at half time ( inc admin) and we where at our Nadir. After starting off like an house on fire we succummbed to typical Rovers and sat back and gave Brum as much space and time with the ball as possible and as ususal crumbled defensively and conceded our pro rata 3 goals per game. Somebody has already mentioned on here (1864?) about them individually being decent but as a unit incapable or needs working at - personally I feel there is too much 'ball watching' going on which is apparent througout the team with nobody attacking the ball or reacting first but is more predominat in the defence

IMO - Hughes is still playing it wrong and needs to address this. Emerton is not productive enough on the left and I disagree with those who said he had a great game yesterday. Too many times he has to come back on his right and was out of position so many times our attack threat broke down - yes his work rate has improved and he does look more lively but not on the left - too many times he wanders into the middle and when the pass is on for the left hand side Mceveley is having to make up for the gap - which could go some way to explaining is lack of acceleration in defence. In addition , interesting not many slag him for not covering for Mceveley but the same are dissing Pedersen before he has even had a chance. Question is who should play - Reid /Emerton/Pedesen?

Hate to say it but it looks like Tugay is not the player he was - still feel he has part to play but Thompson looks like he might be the one to take the sidekick berth now to Ferguson.

Dickov - Enigma - hardworking pest who gives 100% and has probably been our player of the season so far- question is is it enough? - too many parallels for me wiith Ward - tries hard but the end result is not enough - we need goals - Can we afford to leave him out? Again IMO barring everybody being fit I would have him on the bench ( never!!) and bring him on for the last half hour or more where I feel it would be far more effective - goes for too many fouls for me and as of yesterday was arguing with the linesman when the ball broke forwards and he had is back too to the play.

Mceveley - Slow or just sluggish on the turn - passed far too easily for my liking - similar too Gresko and Johansson in that matter but a better player. Is he good enough - not sure but I doubt Gray would have been passed so easily yesterday - certainly at fault for the first.

Gallagher - Great to see him back and showed those little touches and knock throughs that opens up defences - needs to start the next game - his coming on was to me the one that got us going rather than Thompson.

Thompson - good game when he came on and has the confidence too shoot ( at last somebody) will get better and another who should certainly start next game - appears to let Ferguson do what he is good at.

Jansen - plays again and scores again - back up front where he should be playing - wins headers as well - just a shame we don't have anybody to react to them - injured? interesting to hear the outcome - need him fit as although not back to the Jansen of old still certainly has something to give.

Reid - best game so far and looks like he has got over his injury problems - covered every blade of grass and deserved his MOM award - determination and grit was there - can he be dropped - not on yesterday's performance - questionable about the goal but where was the rest of the defence.

Now for the rest

Friedal - spotted by many and looks adrift of confidence and to the goalkeeping eye is making alot of errors and is not commanding of his area. Maybe a continuation of the Nissa/Todd partnership may just help him rediscover the 'Superman' tag.

Neill - Liability (say no more) - as Bryan has said looks like he isn't bothered and is too casual for my liking.

Todd/Johansson - As many have said needs to be perseveered with but can one of them please take control at the back and organise and both of them learn to attack the ball

Ferguson - would we miss him if he is sold? mmm... appears to be getting the hang of it now - look to have acres of space once Thompson came on.

Good too come back from the position we where in (again) but couldn't say whether it was a decent game as it wasn't for me and I just feel we are a 'dead man walking' and yesterday did nothing to change my opinion.

Negative maybe but I'm only going from my own feelings - Hughes is doing the best he can out of a not very good bunch I just hope January is not too late. The fight is there but not much else at the moment.

Mceveley - Slow or just sluggish on the turn - passed far too easily for my liking - similar too Gresko and Johansson in that matter but a better player. Is he good enough - not sure but I doubt Gray would have been passed so easily yesterday - certainly at fault for the first.

For once, we agree.

Thought the defence as a unit of 4 did ok yesterday. Jay was caught out for a goal and needs to start learning soon or even replaced.

Hughes comments in the LET sums up the problems we are having defending.

"It's a combination of things. It's not just down to the defenders.

"It's the communication between the defenders and midfield players, and making sure that everyone keeps their shape.

"At times in the first half we were too loose and the gaps between the units were too wide."

1.)You have to laugh at that prat Rodney marsh dont you. On saturday he says i will probably be 0-0 and DEFO wont be a classic. Hey presto its 3-3 coulda been 5-5.

2.) Can 'Lawro' change the record, thats 7 goals in 4 games for a club, who he cant see where the goals are coming from. Everyone else can.

3.) Amazing game which we coulda/shuda won. Not a bad crowd either considering, sky game, sun night b'ham didnt bring too many.

4.) Gally found the badge rather then kit make logo which was nice.

5.)Tommo must start on sat at fulham with reid (who was excellent y'sday), bazza and emerton.

6.) Nice to see Dunn really does love the club. He is clearly pained to see us where we are and embarrised to score in front of the BBE. However, for 5.5m still nice business imo.

7.) Yorke is a lazy bassa, but will withold any views on the racism until the investigation comes out.

8.) Bruce is a nob. I have nothing more constructive to say about that man.

Agree with what's been said already, especially Scotty. Don't think Reid was infallable though, and definately isn't the answer on the left. Reid's crossing IMO is relitavely poor and he ran the ball out of play several times. I'd be tempted to put Tommo on the right and Reid in the centre since he never shirks a tackle and would provide some strong runs from the centre of the park. It's a hard working midfield which IMO will only get better through regularly playing together. Hopefully this is the magic combination we've been looking for. Sadly our defence and strike force combinations still look a bit lacking.

I think we're really begining to look like a team again but to be honest it isn't enough. i don't think Jay's good enough as a full back, he offers too little going forward and is too easily beaten by his man and up front we lack that cutting edge. Neill also is too hit and miss (I was getting hopeful after the City game.) The number of goals conceded by crosses indicates that we need at least one change at full back as Nissa and Todd seem to be developing a decent partnership.

Up front we still don't look enough and no one looks capable of carrying the regualr gaol scorer mantle. Can't remember who said it but I'd be really tempted not to start Dickov - I don't think he's clinical enough. After yesterday's performance I think a Gally Jansen strike partnership would be the way forward.

I think fans would have been more disappointed if we'd have dropped a 3-1 lead, whereas coming from two goals behind tends to make us overoptimistic. This shouldn't hide the fact that AGAIN we should have won and didn't. We cannot afford to keep letting our oponents off the hook. At 3-3 with Brums confidence shattered we should have pressed on and got the winer, just as we should against the 10 men vs City the other week. This is what's going to cost us dearly the lack of killer instinct.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.