BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Birmingham 3-3 (phew)

cn174

im doubting tugay's attitude to the game. i will never criticise any one without giving 100% effort but in my eyes i see tugay strolling through games and giving the ball away cheaply. couple of times today he never seemed comfortable on the ball which is unlike tugay. he was a totally different play in the opening stages of the match when he played a lovely ball to set up the first goal. but afterwards everytime he got the ball he seemed to give it away and his head went down. obviously being in his position i would have been gutted being swapped but he needed it because he was one of our weak links in the team today.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great second half. Hopefully Hughes have no seen that Tugay is not up to his best and instead play Thompson. The first 10 min of first half was okey. Then we for some reason started to play long balls. I can't understand why because we don't how any target player up front. In the second half the ball was on the ground much more and we looked like another team.

The most positiv players: Thompson, Reid

Negative: Tugay.

Great but unfinished comeback. But what makes me feel sad is having the need to comeback at home against Birmingham. I mean, with a decent defense things would be so different... well, a decent defense and a decent partner to Barry. I'm sorry, but Tugay hasn't Premiership level anymore.

At half-time i was decided to start a topic with my real thoughts about the nowadays Rovers. But i'll wait one or two matches with the last hopes for a change, although i'm very pessimistic about relegation.

how can you have a go at jay? hes a young lad still learning and gainin new experience. he had an off day today and your having a go at him! in the second half jay got stuck in and won some vital headers and he made a couple of overlaps with emerton down the left. hes got a bag of talent in his locker and all it needs is nuturing.

...but in the meantime can we afford to take firstly his mistake against liiverpool and two of the goals today were entirely his fault. We're in the mire and we can't afford school-boy errors.

Well, my heads gone. Having the mother of all hangovers didn't help. Thought it was a very entertaining game, we still look seriously dodgy at the back but going forward was a breath of fresh air. Emerton and Reid looked dangerous (Reid was superb IMHO) and Thommo and Gallagher certainly livened things up in the second half. Still worried about the defence but I thought Todd and Johanssen did ok. Sloppy goals though.

Off to Fulham next week. Hangover there for sure ! blink.gif

Accyrover

There are some real problems and Tugay seems to be the player associated with most of them.

As I sat in my Blackburn End seat I was stunned to see what was unravelling before me as Rovers took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored a goal majestically despatched by Mr Jansen. 1-0 and the crowd on their feets literally. So what do Rovers come up with next ? They decide to let Brum have all the time and space available, refuse to close down the opposition, give silly balls away and then find themselves looking down the barrell of a gun and are 3-1 down before we know it.

At half time the crowd wistfully boos off its heroes, some boos are justified but the abuse NOT. As Gally and MGP warm up during the interval I realise that we are seriously heading for trouble unless that bloddu big gaping hole in the centre is not closed. Fergie has just ran his socks off, Reid has had some good touches and Emerton had resumed his normal patrol of both flanks. All this good work undone by the laziness if Tugay who constantly passed backwards or square.

So, the second half resumes with Gally on for Jansen. Instantly Rovers look slightly better balanced and obviously with a missile stuck up their arses fired deliberately by the manager they again start to take the game by the scruff of the neck. There is a bite about Fergies game which appears to be infectious along with the little imp Dickov who is constantly in a war of shirt pulling and aggravating tackles with the two centre halves of Brum. Step forward Mr Reid, great pass, beats the defender, bang 3-2 and game definately on.

As Thommo's little legs replaced the ineffective Tugay you could instantly see that Rovers were a different proposition. Thommo hit a sweet volley just a little too hard which was saved by Taylor, but then another wonderful series of passing leads to dickov charging through and nipping the ball over the keeper catching the defenders leg and slowing up. Usually the keeper would have got back to the ball as it approached the goal line but this time young Gally swept the ball home and the Blackburn End erupted with glee. 3-3 game definately for the taking.

Some stout defending by Todd and Johansson who look more than comfortable together and a loud rendition of "theres only one greedy barsteward" for the sight of DY warming up near the Blackbrun End sets the haris on the neck upright. Rovers are charging forwards but just cannot get that little piece of luck or rub of the green, at the same time as Rovers press we have to withstand the usual sight of the Rovers defence being pulled all over. Just as we resign ourselves to watching Brum score as Savage contrives a spectacular overhead kick the post saves us (not too sure if Brad got anything on it). So on we go and Dickov is sent clear by a ricochet of a pass and his attempted shot is saved by Taylor.

Enter neal Barry, he blows his whistle and the game is over 3-3.

I have read the negs and positives of other members on previous posts and am almost in full agreement. Neill needs a serious kick up the rear - great today going forwards but awful when defending. Reid's only one mistake led to the goal for fatboy. Both centre backs were not blameless for savages goal and IMO sicknote appeared off side for their equaliser.

Thommo is needed on from the start. Gally is a must for Fulham. Fergie is looking like a natural leader we must keep him fit and in blue and white. McEveley needs a day off to regroup. Emerton and Reid should be given the day off for their efforts.

the referee IMO was poor. Very lenient referee but gave every 50-50 to Brum, both linesmen were scared to make decisions.

tactics were spot on however Tugay needs resting.

The crowd well someone predicted a crowd of under 20k, the home fans were great today apart from the booing. Todays performance should see a better than average gate for the spurs game. we have the hardcore 19k we now have to try and encourage a few more.

I came away smiling but felt that we really should have snatched it. I would suspect that MH is slightly disappointed but hey? we didnt lose again ! tinykit.giftinykit.gifbiggrin.giftinykit.gif

Well that was fun!

Would have been great but for two offsides in the Anderton goal and Melchiott running past Jay like he wasn't there for the other two goals.

...and Gally flatfooted watching the action when Maik Taylor spilled that shot most of the way to the penalty spot.

But, great entertainment leaving me convinced we are staying up.

We'd better because I told the Mancs in the Bar at half time: "If we don't loose this we will stay up, no problem"- so there you have it! Funny thing was they were telling me that the Rovers would get the draw!

It is also utterly clear that midfeld is NOT the problem. Ferguson was not outstandng but was still very good. Reid despite the air shot which set up Savage (who I thought looked predictably ordinary) had a blinder and Thompson came on and showed he CAN play centre mid.

Emo was up against the joint second tightest defence in the Prem and they certainly showed he is weak on his left foot.

If MGP is not good enough to force Emo out of the side, so be it.

Up front, Dickov's lack of stature was certainly a problem- he was pushed around all night but the little'un kept going and forced Gally's goal.

Matty took his chance well and disappeared, Gally could have been a hero but as I said, did not follow up- unforgiveable if he seriously wants a place in the starting line up with Bothroyd and Stead surely going to come good.

We scored three against a super mean defence so I'm not so concerned about buying a forward in January.

So folks- all that £xm has got to go on defenders in January and I don't mean players we all have to kid ourselves could be good enough but I am talking serious long term quality. Definitely a central defender of real class and a right back who can push Neill out of the side iif he doesn't rediscover the way he was playing two seasons ago.

And I am going to bed with a smile on my face and forget the League table. The win can come at the Cottage. rover.gif

Fantastic game for the neutral,heart attack material for the Rovers fan.

Very impressed with Reid again, the lad is coming on in leaps and bounds. Gallacher and Thompson made a massive difference to our side with their introduction.....MUST start next game,Dickov a tireless worker again.

Quite simply the defence is our Achillies heel, more than any other position on the feild of play we must strengthen here asap come January our it could well cost us our Premiership place.

Fantastic comeback but is yet another draw good enough?....you know as well as I do the answer to that sad.gif

What the hell was 'ONE LAZY B'STARD' trying to do by jumping in the Blackburn end? laugh.gif

how can you have a go at jay? hes a young lad still learning and gainin new experience. he had an off day today and your having a go at him! in the second half jay got stuck in and won some vital headers and he made a couple of overlaps with emerton down the left. hes got a bag of talent in his locker and all it needs is nuturing.

...but in the meantime can we afford to take firstly his mistake against liiverpool and two of the goals today were entirely his fault. We're in the mire and we can't afford school-boy errors.

Plus he could have prevented the cross for the goal last week. Combine that with today and I'm seeing a disturbing trend...

Would normally be well pleased but...

No you wouldn`t, you never are.

As for the Rovers, I don`t actually think our defenders are bad as individuals. The problem arises when they collectively become the defence. They just seem to have trouble operating as a unit. I don`t care what Todd did under Souness. I always feel more comfortable when I see his name on the sheet. The gaffer obviously rates him and so do the fans seeing as he won player of the year. As for Todd as a person, I know he refused to be sub once upon a time but to be quite frank I don`t care and don`t forget that was under Souness`s man management style.

Reid was awesome today and looks like he could become what Kieron Dyer was supposed to.

We have to keep Ferguson. Those idiots who were writing him off after 5 games are really being shown up for the football folls that they are. Emerton is bubbling over with confidence and its great to see Thommo back.

As for Dickov, the guy is going to be the biggest cult hero since Speedie.

At the end of the game he was still running as if it were the 1st minute as Yorke stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips.

We can do this.

Come on you blues.

Reid probably does just edge the Mom. He was very INVOLVED shall we say today. Set up the first, scored the second, tussled with Gronkjaer and Savage....but had a few lapses too.

The second half performance was engineered by Ferguson. He is THE key play at the club. We need him alongside Thomson in the middle now. Tugay either does something brilliant like the ball to Reid for the first, or something downright foolish. He is such a frustrating player to watch, because he does have natural talent, but simply gifts possession on too many occassions.

I have never been comfortable with Johnasson at the back. You just want him to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it for fear of him doing something stupid. (Which in essence he does, albeit usually a hopeless hoof up the park). What options do we have though? Todd for me should be there on account that he has been the best of the 4 or 5 centre backs we've played...but alongside him??? We're pretty stuck for consistant options aren't we.

I think Gray should come back into the side for the next game, McEveley has been too vulnerable. Not discounting Jay's chances for the future but now we need experience.

Emerton was frustrating today. I don't think he had a particularly good game. Dickov was as tenecious as ever, and so too was Gallagher. I do like Paul Gallagher. He surely can develop into the poacher striker (although where was he on the rebound for Reids shot today!), He works darn hard....perhaps deserves a chance.

One problem I have is that Lucas Neill has been poor for some time now, but his position seems of least threat. Surely he must have played more games than anyone for us within the last year?? (Someone will no doubt correct me!) But is there any competition for right back? Surely this, along with a central defender is of paramount importance come January.

Summary...

FRIEDEL - 6 Not much he could do with the goals

NEILL - 5 Gave ball away/beaten too easily by Gronkjaer 1st half, needs competition for position

JOHANSSON - 5 Always looked nervous on the ball. Struggles at passing

TODD - 7 Best defender, didn't dive in

MCEVELEY - 4 Disappointing, DID dive in! Inexperience showing. But I still have faith in him.

REID - 8 Best game I've seen him play. Very involved. I still need convincing though!

FERGUSON - 8 Inspired 2nd half revival. Needs equally good partner in centre.

TUGAY - 5 Great ball for first, but as frustrating as ever. Has had his chance. Next...

EMERTON - 6 One of his poorer games this year

JANSEN - 6 Well taken goal, although done nothing fter that

DICKOV - 7 His determination brough about the equaliser.

Subs - THOMPSON - 8 For the time he had on, he without doubt influenced the game. Hope he is back and fit for next week.

GALLAGHER - 7 Worked hard, deserves a chance.

Edited by murray92

Funniest moment of the game was Dickov screaming at Gally for scoring when he had done all the work. I feel Dickov deserved a goal.

Also nice to see Manchester Blue get more airtime than MGP and Yorke put together. Some very impressive bubble gum blowing going on there mate.

to everyone having a pop at the half time boos....hand on heart i think it gave them the wake up call they needed.

Well done on gritty determined 2nd half,lets hope the one point is the kick start for the season because if we hadnt scored 1st in the second half i had a feeling a sixer was coming our way and a defeat today would have demorolised us.

But, great entertainment leaving me convinced we are staying up.

Great entertainment doesn't win relegation battles.

I'm more depressed now than before kick-off.

Some observations:

We are still bottom and we cannot beat the likes of Soton, West Brom, Norwich and Birmingham, our fellow strugglers.

Hughes shows no sign of solving the dreadful defensive deficiencies that were apparent in his second game in charge against Bournemouth. Birmingham had the worst goalscoring record in the Premiership before today.

McEveley is too slow for left back but who we play in his place I couldn't say. The alternatives are just as bad.

Todd was awful and Johansson only marginally less so. We have nine defenders in the squad yet none of them are any good.

Souness, I curse you for selling David Dunn and Andrew Cole. May Lady Luck pinch you on the bottom and give you a sore arse for the rest of the season.

Hughes shows no sign of solving the dreadful defensive deficiencies that were apparent in his second game in charge against Bournemouth. Birmingham had the worst goalscoring record in the Premiership before today.

rover.gif all hughes can do till jan is try and juggle his defender's and find a sound unit.you cannot suddenley make bad players good,all you can do is coach them to the best of your ability.all the brum goals were at the far end from me,they looked very soft goals,but the 2nd half the defence played reasonably well tinykit.gif

Lucas neill needs to visit an optician. In the second half he let a ball run out of play when it had clearly come off a Rovers player. If I remember rightly he did the same in the Liverpool match. Surely if he's in any doubt he should play the ball.

It depends, he may well have had calls from other players, who knows. I don't really mind if he does that every few games but the rest of his performance is solid.

Reid was absolutely magnificent today.

In fact the front 6 were very impressive, Tommo and Emo in particular.

The back four need a complete upheaval.

Next game I'd play.

Neill Todd Short Gray.

Matteo if Short still injured.

Johansson didn't do much wrong today but he just fills me with panic (and he looks like Lemmy)

Johnasson and Todd TOGETHER are working well enough. The team will be more unstable if Matteo is put straight back in.

The team I would play

freidel

neill

gray

johansson

todd

fergie

thommo

reid

emerton

dickov

gallagher

subs

stead (if fit)/jansen

enckleman

mgp

short

danns

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.