SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rooney Carried Off

den

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it sad that Steven Gerrard thinks winning the World Cup will be impossible without Rooney.

Gerrard himself is meant to be a world beater, as is Lampard. Surely, they should have the capacity to take over the mantle from Rooney as the team's inspiration.

I think the corollary of Gerrard's negativity is not that our alternative forwards are not good enough but he has no confidence in Sven coming up with a plan B.

I think the corollary of Gerrard's negativity is not that our alternative forwards are not good enough but he has no confidence in Sven coming up with a plan B.

403583[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with Sven. I think his reaction is just about the same as all of ours. Without Rooney, a player who may well be the best in the world quite soon, and without Owen our frontline looks so weak you wouldn't believe it. Goalscorers win tournaments, without those two we don't have any.

The England provisional squad has to be named in 8 days so apart from Defoe, Crouch, Owen, who else is Sven going to take if he cannot take Rooney. IMO it has to be Darren Bent, he is the top scoring Englishman in the Premiership.

As for Rooney i cannot see him even being fit for the second round nevermind the group stage, it would be a bit unfair on the lad to throw him in against our second round opponents which could be the Germans with no match practise and short of fitness. It is a very unlucky blow for us as a nation but an even mroe unlucky blow for the lad himself especially after the way his European Championships ended as well. He would have no doubt have been one of the stars of the tournament, but hey miracles can happen, he may still make it. But probably won't happen.

What a shame.

403549[/snapback]

I agree - Bent is used to playing on his own up front - and this is the way England should now go. Play five in midfield - and give Gerrard, Cole and Lampard the opportunity to show their attacking talents.

The is no alternative.

Ashton? Do me a favour.

There will be nobody going to this World Cup with no caps.

The very thought of it is rediculous in itself, but starting somebody with no caps up front on his own?

Sven would really have surpassed himself if he tried that.

Aaron Lennon, he has no Caps does he and he is a favourite to go as one of the fringe players now, shillito15.

Edited by ihatethedingles

Aaron Lennon, he has no Caps does he and he is a favourite to go as one of the fringe players now, shillito15.

403619[/snapback]

I would have lennon in that squad, on form better than SWP and is playing very well week in week out for spuds, whilst SWP isn't playing at all.

Glad to hear rooney will play some reole for us, right decision by sven.

We're lucky we're not heading out to Germany without our TWO most influential figures.

The over the top challenge Rooney himself put in on Terry just after they fell a goal behind was a disgrace and could easily have broken the Chelsea player's leg.

I think that we will not see any of our international players at Ewood on Tuesday night as i think they will remember what we did to them last season. We as a club will get villified in the press if we go over physical on them, just imagine if the axe were to break Frank Lampard's leg or John Terry/Joe Cole were to fracture.break a metatarsel at the hands of Robbie Savage or Lucas Neill, the club would be public enemy number one.

But that won't happen as i reckon Sven has had nice word with the special one and told him to rest all of his English WC players.

That table made some interesting reading. I didn't realise how long Scott Parker was out with his broken metatarsel. If anything that table proves that a physio cannot predict how long recover will take.

Also didn't Sven last night say that he were taking Rooney to the WC even if he is injured.

Well I supose to put this in perspective we would, without Rooney, still have World class players in every position apart from defensive midfield, keeper and supporting striker (and the likes of Carrick and Robinson are not exactly awful).

I am not sure any side in the world can claim that kind of consistent quality from front to back.

But then you need that special player (unless your Germany who seem to be able to reach finals with teams consisting of average talent). And Rooney is the only one we have who has the flair of a Henry, Totti or Ronaldinho.

Bone healing depends on blood flow. There isn't that much in the foot so it could take a while. The femur (thigh bone) actually heals pretty quickly as there is muscle all aorund it. 6 weeks is the industry standard for bone breaks some are longer some are shorter. I've no doubt that Rooney will be drinking his milk, popping osteoporosis pills and sleeping in oxygen tents to get him ready for Sweden.

I agree with the boot theory. Blades are dangerous not only for their knife like qualities but for having a knack of not letting you turn quickly. I got my first pair at the begining of the season and am glad that they are now ripping as I'm not getting any more. The sole of these new boots offers no protection. When you put on a pair of shoes the sole covers the foot, the lightweight boots don't have this thick protection and the foot is basically balancing on top of the blades, so when you turn your ankle the foot bends too much and; crack!

Alex Ferguson says he doubts Rooney will play any part in the world cup. sad.gif

403914[/snapback]

We all knew he would say that there is no way fergie wants him to figure in the WC.

Will the expectations of the nation be less now ? Might work to our advantage ?

Personally I would look at the possibility of pushing gerrard or lampard further forward to play the rooney role pending owen is fit !! with SWP coming in on the right hand side and becks moving central.

I dont think Sven should include Rooney in the Squad...even if he recorvers in time his fitness is going to be awful!

Defoe isnt the worst replacement in the world....providing Sven actually plays him and doesnt go for the big man/little man partnership with Owen and Crouch.

Alos....if i was going to push anyone of the midfielders up behind owen it would be Joe Cole.....unless Sven takes a liking to our very own Mr Bentley in the final 2 games of the season! tongue.gif

Rooney should not be included in the squad, simple as that.

We are not a one man team. He's a world class player and a match winner but so are Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Beckham, Owen and John Terry.

One thing we MUST not do, which is really worrying me at the moment, is play another player in Rooney's role. A lot of people seem to be saying Gerrard or Cole should do it. This will be suicidal in my opinion, as it will disrupt the balance of the side and put immense pressure on whoever is asked to do it.

If Owen is fit, it should be him and Crouch up front and we should play to the strengths of that combination with balls in behind, flick ons and knock downs for the midfield to come on to. We shouldn't try to put a square peg in the round hole left by Rooney.

Rooney didnt score in any of the qualification games and in the friendly against Argentina he scored a scuffed tap in but ultimately it was the presence of Crouch which allowed us to win the game. We'll miss him but we can still do well without him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.