BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0-1 United

vyeo

I think we were watching different games. Like the entire team, Tugay showed great touches and passes in small spurts, the majority of the time, like all of the rest, he picked out red shirts more than he did blue and white. His work rate was pretty impressive (by his standards).

I was mainly talking about the 2nd half, where he dominated by running into good positions to receive a pass, and then spread it wide or nick it through. (e.g. when Benni fell in the penalty area from an offside position, a great through ball)

He worked hard, and actually put in a few good tackles and blocks too.

Friedel - 7 (did well, but the rebound on Saha's shot - why not push it out for a corner?)

Neill - 4

Zura - 7

Ooijer - 7

Emerton - 6

Gamst Pedersen - 5

Tugay - 8

Mokoena - 6

Bentley - 5

Benni - 6

Nonda - 5

Off to bed now, let's try to forget this match as soon as possible. Incidentally, are there any decent central midfielders in our reserves atm? Where the hell is Ciaran Donnelly and Jon Douglas when you need them, eh? :) Or Flitty for that matter..

Edited by herbergeehh

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else baffled by Sparkies comments of the game??

He has no complaints?? Surely if your a manager and you team has not won then surely you must have questions.

I think that comment was just refering to the result.

He obviously thought what we all thought, that they were a class above us all over the pitch and fully deserved their win.

Only two things disappointed me today.

The lack of respect from United fans for the minutes silence.

I think they were under the stand in the concourse and were unaware the minutes silence was being observed.

Nonda and McCarthy need to work harder for the team.

Hughes comments were baffling - we can play much, much better than that.

Can't wait until March, Reid and Nelsen will be back.

Editted because of bad language.

Edited by den

Thanks to Sky and the most stupid kick off time imaginable I missed my first home game of the season.

Who in their right mind ever considered the paying fans when they agreed to a 5.15 kick off time, it's no wonder that only 26,162 turned up for a game that's normaly a sell out.

Against my better judgement and maybe I'm two faced but I ended up watching the televised game. So despite not being there I would like to advise some posters who are slating Lucas Neill for lack of interest.

Neill pulled up in the first half clutching his leg and it was clear that he was injured and Gray started warming up. The worrying factor was that despite Neill being unable to run off the injury, he still came out for the second half, which says a lot for the confidence that the management have in Gray.

It is easy to critisise the team, but it is worth remembering that it was not our first 11. We have a small squad and without the likes of Nelson, Reid, Savage we were bound to struggle against most teams, let alone United who are on a winning run.

Take away the fact that Rovers lost, I enjoyed the game. It was exciting and entertaining with both teams playing their part, in what appeared poor weather conditions. On the whole the game was hard fought, without any armature dramatics by either side and on the day the better team won.

From a personal point, the worrying factor was that I didnt miss being at Ewood and I can understand now, why so many people are prefering to watch on tv. Volume off - no drummer.

I completely agree with the above.

We have a small squad without injuries and its a shame that we have lost Reid and Nelsen and now Roberts to long-term injuries and Savage as well the last couple of weeks.

Is it a coincidence that our league run has occured around the time of losing Sav? I think not.

Mokoena was poor in my opinion. He is a very limited footballer who gets exposed if he plays in a 4-4-2. His short-passing is a massive worry.

I thought Tugay played some wonderful balls last night and overall we lacked a cutting edge from midfield and the boys up front were left to feed off scraps.

Disappointed but expected with our current situation.

I think alot of you are being harsh on your side. You gave us a much better game than most sides have this season. You didn't throw in the towel and kept battling away and forced us to really earn the three points.

I think I really did see a different game yesterday. One thing we can all agree on is that the midfield is lacking, but I'd say are other main problem is the defence, not the attack. Benni and Nonda are two of the top strikers in the premiership, and from what I've seen are doing a lot with the little they are given. But they can't work wonders, they need some help from the back, which does not come often. Our central defenders are disappointing though. Not that Oiijer and Zurab are bad players, they're just not at the required level. Ooijer has been well beaten in 1 on 1 situations, concedes a lot of penalties, and just doesn't provide us with the desired stability. Same thing for Zurab - he was at fault for Villa's goal last week, he was also at fault for United's goal yesterday. We just look very shaky and don't look confident that we can deal with the ball when the opposite team attacks. We need Nelson more than anyone right now.

So he does rate Reid. Maybe those rumours linking him with Man U weren't so wide of the mark then...

With Man U in top form, I did expect us to lose more heavily. With our current midfield, we are not going to create that much from open play against good defences.

Straight after the match, I said that was our worst home performance of the season. Having watched MOTD this morning, that maybe a little harsh.

However, the main problem for me is there was no cutting edge. Tugay and Mokeona play to near the defence. The gap between them and the front two is too large, and makes it difficult to get the ball in accurately to the two strikers. In addition, there seems to a policy of playing the ball in from wide, and not ever trying to get round the back of the defenders. If you get the defenders turning and facing there own goal you create loads more scoring chances. MGP and Bentley go for easy option each time. Look at Emerton, and Gally against Basle, who created the 3rd by getting round the full back and cutting the ball inside.

What was crowd, 26K? More than I expected TBH.

Lets hit a dose of reality peeps, Rovers were good for their money today and fully deserved the loss !

How a Rovers team with 10 men can hope to beat ANYONE let alone manure is beyond belief.

Rovers may as well not start with 11 by having MGP on the pitch, today he was nothing short of shocking and it really pains me to say it.

I have to question Mark Hughes tactical nouse today, in particular leaving the subs so late on when we were chasing the game, Rio and co ahve had the easiest game at the back than they will all season.

For me, I am gutted we didnt take a point after predicting a manure goalsfest, 4-0 I shouted and out on the fixed odds coupon. I am wholly pleased we didnt ship more than one but really disappointed by the display of several Rovers players.

The players who can take a bow

Brad, Zurab, Andre, TUGAY and Bert.

The players who just about earned their corn

Bentley and The Axe

The players who just didnt want to know

Nonda, Benni, Lucas

The player who did faff all but play as an extram man in a red shirt

MGP :angry:

Rovers were solid in the first half and comfortable but created NOTHING ! For all Tugays class there wasnt a Rovers shirt available in a run, and when they were they just didnt hold the ball up well enough.

In the second half we gave far too many balls away and were overrun in the middle.

Today we had NO service for the front two, so it was pointless playing 4-4-2.

People will slate the Axe, he played Scholes very well and restricted his playing, he did his job until he decided to venture forward leaving us a big gap in the middle of the park.

Lucas knows he is gone and cant be arsed. The armband needs moving on Mark and NOW for the benefit of the team. MGP needs a rest. We desperately need a shot of confidence because Spuds will come to Ewood next week expecting 3 points.

Thats it for me tonight, I am in the fridge, sinking a 10 pack and not speaking to the wife, not taking the dog out and the neighbours can get FFFFFFFFFFFD :(

1864 agree with most of this expecially the tactical nous of Sparky - we needed freshening up after their goal so I don't know what Sparky was thinking off. What is the point of having them and waitinf until the last minute to bring them on.

As with many on here, I expect more of the front two regarrdless of the minimal service they are getting at the moment - McCarthy has gone of the boil and Nonda is another Ashley in my book. They do not work as a front pairing. Their is a lack of directness and conviction - something I mentioned after the Salzburg game.

Mokoena did ok for his limitations but is not the answer and his distribution is awful.

What was wrong with Bentley - ddn't seem to want to pass to Bert.

As with others thought Utd deserved their win and if neede looked like they could step up another gear if required, but they didn't need too.

Overall the worrying aspect is the lack of chances and the few we get the composure to do something with them - yet another game with no goals AT HOME and the reality check in that we could have still be been playing now and not scored again.

Againt Spurs - IMO Gallagher, Jeffers and Peter should start - I think its fairly obvious who needs dropping.

So he does rate Reid. Maybe those rumours linking him with Man U weren't so wide of the mark then...

With Man U in top form, I did expect us to lose more heavily. With our current midfield, we are not going to create that much from open play against good defences.

In reality we should have lost more heavily. They won't miss that many chances in one game again this season.

McCarthy has come down to earth with a bump. He looks lazy, slow, he always seems to keep hold of the ball far too long and why does he always do a Metcalfe and turn full circle when he gets the ball?

Edited by AggyBlue

does he always do a Metcalfe and turn full circle when he gets the ball?

:D:D

Toothless up front. Lacking in ideas, through the middle is not the way to get to the Mancs. As for Benni, some nice skill bit does not chase the ball. Why Oh why he will not move toward the ball is beyond me, it s one of the first tings we are taught is it not. Nonda?? was he playing.

There were a few positives yes, I thought at times our defending looked a lot better I'm sure that has to do with Emo. Ooyah IMO is beginning to look a real class act, I can't wait to see him play with Nelsen.

Hold on to your hats lads and lassies only one ,more defeat next week and we should start to get some results on the board.

Sparky needs to sub sooner when we are chasing the game, I was very dissappointed not to see Gally, something afoot there cos whenever I have seen him come on he's had an impact, Sparky sees different. Why was Bentley subbed was it tactical or injury or just trying not to wear him out.

Looks like Gamst got injured last night as well. He suffered from a broken rib, a injury that he picked up in the first half. He have pulled out of the norwegian international squad for the game on wednesday.

Don't know how long you will be out with a broken rib? anyone who knows?

Edited by pks1984

Good game but we really need to start picking up a few points soon. Man Utd imo were superb and could have won 3-1. Sure they have top players on and off the pitch whereas our squad is now looking threadbare BUT their work ethic is the big difference and really is truly remarkable. Time after time they had 3-4 options when in possession whereas we often didn't have anybody moving into space and looking for the ball. The result was as usual lots of unproductive long balls. The match vid should be a great lesson for some of our players. I can forgive lack of talent but I can never forgive lack of effort. It costs nowt.

btw MoTD seemed to concentrate on Rooney for some reason but imo we would have got a real pasting if we had swopped Tugay for Carrick before the start! What a player that little bugger is. A move for him really could win em the title.

personally, i thought nonda was very good in the first half, but faded in the second. I attribute it to him not being fully fit yet, but the way he held the line was very very good. There some balls which were simply long punts up front without any obvious target, and he managed to kill most of them dead and make something out of it. Give him some time, i tthink he'll come good.

Reading another message board and it appears the Utd fans looney element was out in force yesterday,the match special buses were apparently attacked as they went passed the Furnhurst.....as If its not bad enough the Utd fans making Ewood into a home game for themselves :angry:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Time after time they had 3-4 options when in possession whereas we often didn't have anybody moving into space and looking for the ball. The result was as usual lots of unproductive long balls. The match vid should be a great lesson for some of our players. I can forgive lack of talent but I can never forgive lack of effort. It costs nowt.

Absolutely spot on Gordon whenever we had the ball there was no movement off it whatsoever from anyone. No-one seemed to really want it badly enough. This was also extremely noticeable during our first poor run in the first four games of the season.

Looks like Gamst got injured last night as well. He suffered from a broken rib, a injury that he picked up in the first half. He have pulled out of the norwegian international squad for the game on wednesday.

So not only were we 4 first team players down, our whole left side played with injuries for at least the second half!

I'd say he'll be out for a good couple of weeks, there's nothing can be done about a broken rib other than a bit of strapping and when you run solidly for 90 minutes it's gotta be agony. (Shouldn't affect him too much then...)

One plus nobody mentioned.

MGP's corners were all top class again.

I can't say I agree. Again his deliveries were poor and really, he needs to cut out that "I'm going to score from a corner" rubbish he keeps doing. It's selfish and hurts the team and no, it is not impressive when it comes off the crossbar. He has to realise that for him to score directly from a corner you need the goalie to make a huge mistake and a fundamental mistake...this is the Premiership and you can not expect that to happen. It is throwing away an oppertunity from a corner IMO.

Anywhere from a few weeks to a month. Maybe a little more. A broken bone usually needs 4-6 weeks to heal I think. Should give Peter a chance then....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.