BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Arsenil

I didn't want a replay but now I don't feel to bad about it.

I'm proud of the lads today, to make Arsenal look like they did today really takes something. Even the bbc admitted it. We need to take some of that defensive discipline and put it into our team performances week after week. Good moral boost for Thursday.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done Rovers! A quick mention to the Axe who did very well in protecting the back four.

Best I remember seeing from him. His distribution's never going to be any good, but his critics should keep in mind that he's not that sort of player.

Credit to Samba and especially Nelsen for giving Freidel a quiet 85 mins and to Brad for being alert enough to pull those fantastic saves out of the bag!

It feels like a victory!

Simon :brfc:

expecting some media critisism towards rovers and we'll be given no credit, but i dont really care. we're still in the hat!

BBC have been quite positive, praising our tactics and pointing out we're the 1st English team to keep a clean sheet at the Airline Stadium.

Simon :brfc:

Superb defensive performance. All credit to Sparky and his team. Everyone played brilliantly.

Even Toddy got himself booked before he kicked the ball :-)

I had forecast a reet good tonking by the Arse but got it hopelessly wrong again ( thank goodness).

Therefore, I predict we'll lose the replay 6-0

Cummon U blues.

Hi, just got back from the game...

1st time to see Rovers live in stadium (though not at Ewood Park)... and I was very impressed by how our players ran up and down the field... that's the typical Rovers, isn't it? Maybe not very brilliant or beautiful, but tough and hard-working...

(By the way, seeing live in stadium is of course different and maybe less comfortable from TV, but the atmosphere is awesome and having people - though the minority - chanting around you for the same supports is really remarkable!)

It is even sweeter considering we got beaten by an "exaggerated" scoreline previously in this stadium this season (I mean we worked hard and performed a bit in that match, 6-2 is not properly reflecting that game...)

A bit not too good is though we only got allocation of 2,000 tickets, it seems our section is far from full...

Anyway, hope this game keeps up the spirit of the team, and let us believe we can fight with whatever team, even that's the team we were ran over heavily before...

So now let's beat the Bayer at Ewood!

Hi all,

I am a HK-er coming to UK for a while, and I have been supporting the Rovers since the Walker's times.

I just book a ticket for the Arsenal match via the Rovers ticketing hotline, and they told me to collect the ticket at the Arsenal Booking Office.

I just wonder what are the earliest and latest date/time that I should collect the ticket?

Go Go Rovers! Beat the Bayer and continue to grab the UEFA cup! :rover:

Bryan

Good result. Samba and Warnock were great!

We did what was needed - closed them down and gave them little time on the ball. Some Southern media may say we were boring, but we're not just going to go to The Emirates and let them win 6-2 again just for their entertainment are we?

Also, heard this on the radio: Fabregas went up to Hughes and asked "Did you used to play for Barcelona?". Hughes obviously replied "Yes" but Fabregas then said "Well your team don't play like them do they?". :angry:

What a fool, I would have smacked him if I were Hughesy B)

Also, heard this on the radio: Fabregas went up to Hughes and asked "Did you used to play for Barcelona?". Hughes obviously replied "Yes" but Fabregas then said "Well your team don't play like them do they?". :angry:

MH: Do you have a brain?

F: Yes

MH: Well you certainly don't use it, do you?

Yeah, what a tw*t. Hughes should have said "Yeah, why didn't you?" If he's such a big Barcelona fan, why did he ditch the club that developed and nutured him? Oh yeah, Iniesta, Xavi, etc, etc...Idiot. Perhaps he should look in Sparky's medal closet.

As for the game, I thought we defended like a bunch of Italians today. We were excellent. Thought Nelsen looked more like his old imperious self, think he's getting close to being all the way back. Zura deserves a shout too. He was a little coarse at times, but overall thought he was strong and agressive in his tackling and frustrated the hell out of Ljungberg all day. Hope he starts in the center over Henchoz on Thursday.

Thought Nonda did a lot of good things...namely with his thumbs and clapping hands. Love how he constantly turned around to give the thumbs up and approval at the service he was getting, despite him being two yards offside all day long. Useless.

Derbs and Benni on Thursday please...

Great result on paper, fantastic effort by our players BUT the downside is a mini fixture pile up.

Arsenal now have Champs league x 2

Carling Cup final

Rovers have eufa next Thursday and if successful face Lens or Pankios

looking ahead it is hard to see where the game can be fitted in, UNLESS Arse have to play 3 games in aweek ! :rolleyes:

looking ahead it is hard to see where the game can be fitted in, UNLESS Arse have to play 3 games in aweek ! :rolleyes:

They said on motd that it would be 28th, not sure how this clashes with all arsenals games, but it would have to be played before the next round so if that means 3 games in a week for them then thats what will happen.

Edit: Seems to be alright as Ars have final on 25th and reading on the 3rd but nothing mid-week. Rovers have Sunday to Sunday

With the Chumpions League kicking in this week, the FA cup slips down the order in Arse's priority list. They may prefer to rest more senior players for the replay.

Top Top result , couldnt ask for more , especially after that defeat in the league, but we all know what there youngsters can do, just ask the Spuds and Bolton.

Interesting this 1864as I am sure I saw on Sky today they have already had to rearrange some games.

Anyway as for the downside - looks like we have not learnt about giving the ball away - how many times do they need telling to get rid instead of playing ourselves in too trouble - tehre gripe over

Otherwise it looks like we did what we set out to do - and managed just to attAin it thanks to Brad

Anyway as for for needing another game in our schedule - course we do - isn't that what its all about so bring it on.

Interesting this 1864as I am sure I saw on Sky today they have already had to rearrange some games.

Just noticed that West Ham would be moved if we got through and that is a sky game.

I assume BBC will nick the replay for themselves, leaving sky to pick from the rest.

If we can get through the replay then we should be looking for a decent draw. There aren't to many teams left in that can easily beat us and maybe reading can put one of them out later.

Well I would say that if we play like we did today there aren't ANY teams that can easily beat us. Fantastic display of disciplined defending as a team. There were no weak links. And after 70 mins when Derbs came on and he and Dunny started to get into more attacking mode as the chance presented itself I could seee us nicking a goal in the last few minutes and leaving the Arse in a panic.

Very, very well done lads. Special mention to the Axe for his best game in Rovers colours, and Samba who looked awsome at the back with the Admiral. And as for Brad! what else is there to say? Is there a better keeper in EPL?

If Leverkusen had a man at the match today, I don't think he will be saying we can't defend in his report! :lol:

Nobody has yet commented on Derbyshires cheeky lofted shot that nearly won us the game..well done lad for having pop and good to have you back......Leverkusen wont know what's hit 'em!

No they won't and don't you go telling them! ;)

Am I one of the only people who might have rather had extra-time and penalties today? Just seems like we had the game under control and it will be difficult to do that in the replay.

I disagree Eddie, the last 10mins we had started to attack and look slightly tired. Arsenal had their only chances in those last 10mins. I am very happy to leave it and get Benni Mc and MGP back in for the replay, with the added bonus of knowing who we will face in the next round, should we get through.

Great performance from the lads today. We were hanging on at times but resricted Arsenal from getting a few shots on goal. We were defensivly sound but just had trouble creating anything. Hopefully we will get a decent draw on Monday and beat them in the reply.

All I could here walking away from the ground was some cockney tw@ts going on about our support. True there were only about 300/400 there but a 12:30 kick off and only finding out who we were playing three days ago after a European game. Spoke to a few people today who had not even been home.

Archived