BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Arsenil

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else find it slightly ironic that Arsenal complained about defensive tactics? That's how they won their championships and cups under George Graham. What were we supposed to do when 3 of our best midfielders and our best striker were missing, whilst we had a central defender playing right back? Play 2-3-5 and insist that Friedel stands on the penalty spot for the entire game? Sure, we were negative, but as we don't have the squad depth that comes with buying every French/Dutch/West African 12 year old that can get past immigration, we were pretty threadbare.

EDITED.. Watch the language please

Ricky

This in reply to an email I sent to him pointing out the possible reasons contributing to our poor away following at the weekend.

Arsenal fan by any chance?

To be fair at least he replied.

He replied, but it was a god awful reply. You didn't ask anything about them being settled on the day to my recollection, and even if they WERE settled on the day, why would that make any friggin difference to our attendance at the game? And so what if he would be equally critical of Arsenal sending the same amount to Ewood? He should be! There's lord knows how many more of them than us, but it's got to be at least ten times as many. What a nonce.

i know you can't create the real thing in training but i really hope we practice a few penalties this week.

our record this season is nothing less than abysmal, with a replay which may have penalties on the cards.

with some extra practice, it may just give us the edge. If i had to choose 5 takers....i don't think i could, let the players who want it proceed.

Watched skysports news coverage of the cup final - and Tim Sherwood was in the studio. When he saw the fight at the end - he blamed Fabregas for the incident:

"Who does he think he is? - last weekend slagging off one of the greatest players this country has ever seen in Mark Hughes and it was him that has caused that fight" (or words to that effect)

Tony Cottee has also brought his only career medal into the studio - League Cup medal - and commented that he hoped Timmy hadn't brought his Premier League one in to make him look silly :lol:

just a quick question on the replay...will i be able to get tickets up until kickoff? Dont usually leave it this late so not sure what the deal is!

I asked the ticket office guy that question and he said that tickets will be on sale up until K.O.

just a quick question on the replay...will i be able to get tickets up until kickoff? Dont usually leave it this late so not sure what the deal is!

Although you will be able to get tickets right up to kick-off there's bound to be a fair queue in the last half hour. I'd either get there early or call and order one over the phone and collect at the caravan behind the Roverstore. - it costs £1 extra but saves a long queue. Bear in mind they stop taking phone orders 90 minutes before kick-off.

Big four demand Cup replays are axed

Chelsea and Liverpool today joined Arsenal and Manchester United in calling for all FA Cup replays to be scrapped. The issue was first raised by Arsene Wenger following Saturday's lunchtime Cup tie against Blackburn Rovers at the Emirates Stadium. Wenger has been angered by having to travel to Blackburn for a replay and believes FA Cup games should be settled in a single match. He was backed afterwards by Manchester United chief executive David Gill, who said that United's forthcoming replay against Reading at the Madejski Stadium was "completely unacceptable".

Mr Gill said that he was horrified at the prospect of a replay and the situation "must never be repeated". Mr Gill called for Manchester United to be given a two-goal lead ahead of each FA Cup tie. "In the unlikely event that the match ends in a draw, there should be a penalty shoot-out afterwards." Arsenal Chairman Peter Hill-Wood said that he didn't believe in penalties, but that any Arsenal match ending in a draw should be settled by who wins a toss of the coin. "Arsenal should then be heads and tails," he said.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon, who has seen his Blues side play each of their FA Cup ties at home this year, said that Stamford Bridge should host all of Chelsea's Cup ties in the future. "We shouldn't be required to play away in the FA Cup," he said. Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, meanwhile, has been angered by the West London extension to the congestion charge. Mourinho said that John Terry and Frank Lampard were banging on his door demanding an increase to their £120,000 a week wages following the introduction of the £8 charge to West London drivers. A furious Mourinho said: "Does that crazy Mayor Livingstone not realise how inconvenient it is. This £8 charge will put a huge dent in our wages."

Peter Kenyon tried to quell Mourinho's anger by calling for the FA to introduce special compensation payments to Chelsea, as well as adopting a seeding system for the FA Cup next season to ensure that Chelsea face lower league opposition at home in all of their FA Cup ties. Mr Kenyon called for smaller clubs to be fined if they try to force a replay against Chelsea.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, whose side are preparing for a Champions League tie against Barcelona, said that he agreed with the idea of a seeding system for the FA Cup. Benitez said that it was "unacceptable" for his Liverpool side to have faced Arsenal in the 3rd Round of the Cup this year. "All English clubs competing in the Champions League should get a bye into the semi-finals," said the Spaniard. Liverpool's new American owners backed the stance of their manager and said they wanted to see an end to meaningless Cup matches before the semi-final stage. American tycoon George Gillett said that this would free up more time for Liverpool to play lucrative matches in America and Japan which he insisted are "much more important to the global aims of our franchise."

A Liverpool spokeswoman confirmed that the club would be putting forward proposals to the FA and threatened action against anyone who objects. "Anyone who disagrees with us should be belted with one of Craig Bellamy's golf clubs," she said.

I have a better idea why not play the FA Cup until the 3rd third round. Then instead of drawing the third round just put 4 balls in the pot for Man U, Chelsea, Arse and L'pool and whichever is the warm ball and is drawn out they are the winner of the FA Cup, would that be easier for them?

On the subject of pens, who of our normal players would be up for taking one-

Pedersen,

Bentley,

Warnock,

Derbyshire,

Emerton,

Of the others- Dunny ,not likely to be on the field at the death. Nonda , not after yesterday. Mokoena , would have the courage but not the accuracy I think. Zurab and Samba maybe. Henchoz and Nelsen , I hope not, neither ever look like scoring. Tugay , they still haven't found the ball from the last one he took. Benni , maybe, if he's still on the pitch. Roberts maybe.

Any I've missed out ?

We need to take this seriously, penalties could well be on the cards, thank God we've got Brad !

Anyone remember the penalty that MGP took in the league cup early in 2005. Can't remember if it was in normal play or in a shoot out but he didnt half rasp it into the roof of the net. I think him and Bentley should be next up, providing Benni hasnt reclaimed duties after scoring at Wigan.

Anyone remember the penalty that MGP took in the league cup early in 2005. Can't remember if it was in normal play or in a shoot out but he didnt half rasp it into the roof of the net. I think him and Bentley should be next up, providing Benni hasnt reclaimed duties after scoring at Wigan.

Was that the one in the shootout against Bournemouth? Same shootout where Tugay hit the Hubble telescope as alluded to earlier in the thread.

With our record this season I wouldnt fancy us in a shootout. Brad would have to be at his most heroic.

Was that the one in the shootout against Bournemouth? Same shootout where Tugay hit the Hubble telescope as alluded to earlier in the thread.

Not quiet correct - Tugay's penalty was actually spotted by the Hubble telescope in orbit somewhere near the international space station.

Archived