BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Sold ??

It wouldn't be so bad but the commentators have totally switched from backing the little boys to turning Sky and the Beeb into Mancarse TV.

There are a lot of very good footballers out there and certainly more than needed for four squads.

If the EPL clubs are clever, perhaps four or more other EPL clubs could catch up with the big 4 if they are footballing smart with the increased broadcast money and investments. One of the reasons the Big 4 are where they are is that the Spuds and Toons have in the past consistently bought badly (as have Liverpool until recently).

Of course this will be very bad news for England. The number of English-born players in the EPL is probably going to halve again.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PL is about nothing other than money, has become a totally uncompetitive league

One of the reasons that I'm becoming more and more drawn towards conference level football. Whilst the standard of skill is not good there is a competative edge where players are committed to the cause. With everyone starting on a level platform.

The PL is drowning in cash so the rich men come sniffing. Killed the game in my view.

If it is killing the game, it's attacking an already dying creature imo. The uncompetitiveness of the Premiership is just depressing. The Premier League prey on the loyalty of fans. They've got an inelastic market - so the clubs can generally treat the fans as shabbily as they want and not have to worry about losing too many customers. The league can get as predictable and inequitable as the big clubs want and still rake in the money.

However, it would be hypocritical to blame the 'big clubs'. The equivalent of the intra-Prem financial chasm is being replicated between the Premiership and the football league.

The Premiership will become a playground for incredibly rich men - and if that is the case, a semblance of competitiveness may remain. Although, I think most would agree that the soul of football would have been sold off long before that.

They've got an inelastic market - so the clubs can generally treat the fans as shabbily as they want and not have to worry about losing too many customers. The league can get as predictable and inequitable as the big clubs want and still rake in the money.

I'm not sure this is any longer true. Until Rovers announced the cut in ST prices I was seriously considering not renewing. I shall be renewing but it was the price cut that convinced me. I won't be at Charlton or Reading, the first home games I have missed since we beat Ipswich 3-0 in the semi of the FMC - that's 1987. I was working that night, Saturday I'm chosing to do something else, same with Reading. I'm missing my first games in 20 years and I don't feel life has come to a halt.

If the EPL clubs are clever, perhaps four or more other EPL clubs could catch up with the big 4 if they are footballing smart with the increased broadcast money and investments. One of the reasons the Big 4 are where they are is that the Spuds and Toons have in the past consistently bought badly (as have Liverpool until recently).

Of course this will be very bad news for England. The number of English-born players in the EPL is probably going to halve again.

THis has been a big problem. Spurs and newcastle have easily spent enough money to seriously challenge the top four, and newcastle actually got in there for a while, but have both been plagued by daft managers.

Imagine what hughes could achieve with a transfer budget like either of them...

As for the english players thing I'm not sure I agree. I think there has been an English resurgence compared to about five years ago. All the top four clubs with the exception of Arsenal are built round english/British players, and a number of smaller clubs have started doing well with british based teams. You can even see it at Rovers where we have gone from having no decent british players with the exception of stead (reid looked rubbish then) who was promising for a while to now having quite a few- Derbyshire, Reid,dunn, savage, bentley, warnock, Roberts (effectively English).

The problem for England is that they are not getting through quality players in certain positions. We have some brilliant central midfielders, right wingers and defenders but still very few left wingers and now, worryingly, a real problem with strikers and goalkeepers.

We are in the position of really relying on Smith to make a real comeback to provide a decent foil for Rooney. Others who are available (defoe, Johnson, M Bent) fail to really give the impression that they can play with the scouse doberman. I had high hopes for Ashton but he seems buggered.

And on the left we literally just have Joe Cole. Barry, M Taylor and Downing wait in the wings but none of them really look international class.

you hit a mid life crisis Paul ?

I dont think I would now put work before my beloved Rovers, the wife may object but what does she know !!!!!!

No far from it. Last time I missed a home game was 1987 because I had to work that night. The point I was making is I'm chosing to miss Charlton and Reading because I have other alternativesto occupy me. These games mean little and I'm surprised to find myself chosing to do other leisure activities

Unless he gets that budget at Rovers I don't want to imagine it thanks and I don't want anyone else imagining it either. I've already seen one post from a Spurs fan on teamtalk suggesting they axe Jol and bring Hughes in. I did suggest it would be easier for him simply to become a Rovers fan since they seem to want all our decent players and now our manager

I'm not sure this is any longer true. Until Rovers announced the cut in ST prices I was seriously considering not renewing. I shall be renewing but it was the price cut that convinced me. I won't be at Charlton or Reading, the first home games I have missed since we beat Ipswich 3-0 in the semi of the FMC - that's 1987. I was working that night, Saturday I'm chosing to do something else, same with Reading. I'm missing my first games in 20 years and I don't feel life has come to a halt.

I cannot believe that your missing the last two home games just when the team needs everyone behind them,all this about the top four teams having more dosh than anybody else and breaking away from the rest is not new its always happened even going back to the sixties Everton,Spurs,Man U they always had more money than the rest, but thats life, its all depends on where your born and if thats Blackburn or Oldham or yes even Burnley thats where your loyalty stays. You, me and everyone of us Rovers fans should be on our bended knees and thank God(Jack) that we are in the best league in the world,not only in it but getting in Europe, fa cup semi finals winning the league cup and some very respectable league positions or yes, we just managed to win the premiership one year,still only one of four teams to win it, seems to me that because we will probably not win it again your giving up.

Just think off all those so called big teams in the championship, league one, and there is some big teams they would love to be in our position,so mate, just forget your other jobs and get down to Ewood for the final two games..............

I cannot believe that your missing the last two home games just when the team needs everyone behind them,

I haven't time to go into a long debate on this but my choice has nothing to do with Rovers and everything to do with the state of modern football. You're right we have achieved a great deal, no complaints at all. However I had to chose between Rovers and other things for Saturday. I'm just making the point that clubs can no longer be sure even the long serving fan won't start to miss games. It now looks as though we have a 50/50 of making the Reading game.

Guest Kamy100

This morning's Lancashire Telegraph reports that Rovers have had some expressions of interests and have now taken the step of hiring top consultants to advice the trustees on the next steps etc.

I cannot believe that your missing the last two home games just when the team needs everyone behind them,all this about the top four teams having more dosh than anybody else and breaking away from the rest is not new its always happened even going back to the sixties Everton,Spurs,Man U they always had more money than the rest, but thats life, its all depends on where your born and if thats Blackburn or Oldham or yes even Burnley thats where your loyalty stays. You, me and everyone of us Rovers fans should be on our bended knees and thank God(Jack) that we are in the best league in the world,not only in it but getting in Europe, fa cup semi finals winning the league cup and some very respectable league positions or yes, we just managed to win the premiership one year,still only one of four teams to win it, seems to me that because we will probably not win it again your giving up.

Just think off all those so called big teams in the championship, league one, and there is some big teams they would love to be in our position,so mate, just forget your other jobs and get down to Ewood for the final two games..............

Did you not read Paul's post? The last time he missed a home game was 1987 and for that he should be applauded. I sure that there have been times when your support has been needed but you havent been there.

Get off your high horse and dont tell someone as loyal as this what to do and not do.

Did you not read Paul's post? The last time he missed a home game was 1987 and for that he should be applauded. I sure that there have been times when your support has been needed but you havent been there.

Get off your high horse and dont tell someone as loyal as this what to do and not do.

Who rattled your cage pal yes I did see his last post thats why I replied and I stand by everything I said, just because he has not missed a home game since 1987, and neither have I, its more of a reason to keep with the side,my point is that because we got knocked out of the cup he seems to think the season is over,so dont tell someone who has seen more Rovers games than most on here, to get off my high horse.........And back to the original thread all those knocking Tooting might have to eat their words,it looks like there could be someone to take over the club,and if you go back a few posts to mine re.the subject dont be surprised if what I said re. the ex director Mr Hubert and unknown yank is involved................

Still no news from tooting rover???

Afraid not, but given the story in the Telegraph it would back up that there is something going on. Whether the way the story was presented to me may have been exaggerated (ie what they meant to say is the owners want to sell Rovers) may well have been the case.

Who rattled your cage pal yes I did see his last post thats why I replied and I stand by everything I said, just because he has not missed a home game since 1987, and neither have I, its more of a reason to keep with the side,my point is that because we got knocked out of the cup he seems to think the season is over,so dont tell someone who has seen more Rovers games than most on here, to get off my high horse.........And back to the original thread all those knocking Tooting might have to eat their words,it looks like there could be someone to take over the club,and if you go back a few posts to mine re.the subject dont be surprised if what I said re. the ex director Mr Hubert and unknown yank is involved................

unsall, you've missed the point completely. I don't think the season's over, though I think EUFA qualification is a long shot. I was responding to a comment that PL clubs enjoy a loyal fan base that will keep coming back for more. Having watched Rovers gates decline year on year I was making the point, as someone who has never before chosen NOT to go to a game. That even the most loyal fans reach a point where they chose to do other things - sadly many never return.

For me this is the situation. I will be an ST holder next season but I know a number of things wory me about English football in general:

* the PL is at best a four horse race

* the Champions League places will go to the usual four teams

* the best the rest of us can hope for is competing for 5th spot - this is not a great achievement for any club

* a tilt at the cups is possible but realistically a semi-final is the best one can hope for

* the Champions League is full of meaningless games

* the UEFA cup is full of clubs we've nevr heard of. I know a Euro trip is fantastic for those who can go away but for most of us European nights do not begin to compare with the days when these were real KNOCK-OUT competitions

* the points total of many PL clubs is pitiful

Many, many fans have given up. They always say it's the cost. I believe if people really think about this the truth is there is no element of competition left in modern football. I'm taking my lad karting, he deserves it and he'll get more pleasure than watching a game that doesn't really matter - to us. These are the problems football has to address if it wants to continue to command the loyalty of long established fans and to gain the loyalty of others.

Rovers have had a good season (though 7 home defeats is questionable), I'm proud of our manager, our board and our team. Despite that on Saturday I'll be missing. I think I'm being honest when many are less clear in their views.

So for all the unnecessary abuse attracted by Tooting for generously passing on his information, one thing is clear.

Which is that the Trustees obviously want to sell and it may only be a matter of time if there is someone with suitable clout sniffing around.

I would rather not sell. There is only one reason why Glazer, Lerner, Gillett and all the rest are sniffing around EPL clubs-the huge barrell of cash on it's way next season. As I understand it, if you finish bottom of next seasons Premiership, you get £30,000,000 from the TV deals. So if a team finishes even at mid table, then for a fairly small but well performing club the likely hood is some potential profit is available for the owners.

I would not think that would be good for Rovers.

unsall, you've missed the point completely. I don't think the season's over, though I think EUFA qualification is a long shot. I was responding to a comment that PL clubs enjoy a loyal fan base that will keep coming back for more. Having watched Rovers gates decline year on year I was making the point, as someone who has never before chosen NOT to go to a game. That even the most loyal fans reach a point where they chose to do other things - sadly many never return.

For me this is the situation. I will be an ST holder next season but I know a number of things wory me about English football in general:

* the best the rest of us can hope for is competing for 5th spot - this is not a great achievement for any club

* a tilt at the cups is possible but realistically a semi-final is the best one can hope for

* the UEFA cup is full of clubs we've nevr heard of. I know a Euro trip is fantastic for those who can go away but for most of us European nights do not begin to compare with the days when these were real KNOCK-OUT competitions

Many, many fans have given up. They always say it's the cost. I believe if people really think about this the truth is there is no element of competition left in modern football. I'm taking my lad karting, he deserves it and he'll get more pleasure than watching a game that doesn't really matter - to us. These are the problems football has to address if it wants to continue to command the loyalty of long established fans and to gain the loyalty of others.

Rovers have had a good season (though 7 home defeats is questionable), I'm proud of our manager, our board and our team. Despite that on Saturday I'll be missing. I think I'm being honest when many are less clear in their views.

Paul, listen dont get me wrong, I know your a core supporter, well you were, your wilting but what you are saying is, that if we cant get into europe or win the league/cups its a waste of time watching,just imagine if every other club in the lower leagues thought that like,eg Oldham/ Rochdale who have no chance of winning anything but would give anything to be in the big league just to be playing the Man Us/ Arsenal l/pool etc,at the end of the day we are a small town club who are being run superbly by the trustees/board and we should be grateful to be competing with the best,listen get your arse down to ewood on sat.take the lad with you otherwise there will be more Charlton fans than us and go karting next sat when we are away.Thats it sorted see you on sat ..P.S all go karting venues are closed this Sat just been on sky sports news flash..

Paul, whilst I don't think the Premiership is anywhere near as bad a product as you do, you've absolutely no need to explain yourself to someone who seems to think they're a better fan than you.

If you choose not to go to any particular game, that's entirely your prerogative! You've already paid for the seat anyway! Whether you've missed a game since 1987 or not! :tu:

Archived