BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it would be a big loss if Hughes went (we all knew it was going to happen someday) but some of the over reacting on here is a bit of a joke.

Think of the positive things in life, fellas :D

If Bentley goes - we get at least an extra 15 million to spend on new players

If Hughes goes - we get the next up and coming manager

So instead of worrying and being depressed, spend your summer dreaming about who you want as manager and the new big signing!!

Not sure about Bilic, no experience of club management. I think people are raving about him because Steve Mccan't_manage_a_fart made him look good.

Scholari blew out England after making them wait for ages. I hope Chelsea don't go too long without a manager (ie waiting for Big Phil to commit) as it may encourage Hughes to think he has a chance and so he might not be focused on us.

Chelsea may go for someone who is immediately available, but that's probably wishful thinking.

People were doing exactly teh same thing before Keegan went to Newcastle, wondering who should replace Hughes, and then he didn't go there, so all a bit premature methinks.

Think this is a major opportunity. After laying Harry Redknapp on betfair for the barcode job - feel the need to let sparky harden some more in the market before laying some serious cash.

Why the hell does he want to go to Chelsea ? 12 months and he could be sacked.

Why no......there is only one job Sparky would want and that will be when Sir Alex retires 2/3 years from now. He may well leverage the issue with the Board to extract an increase to his package - hence his agents will be making noises - but just cannot see him leaving here until the OT job comes up.

People were doing exactly teh same thing before Keegan went to Newcastle, wondering who should replace Hughes, and then he didn't go there, so all a bit premature methinks.

Spot on Bryan. Yous should all relax, you'll live longer! :)

Why the hell does he want to go to Chelsea ? 12 months and he could be sacked.

£6 million per year plus bonuses on 3 yr deal, untold millions to spend, chance to work with some of the worlds greatest players.

Why no......there is only one job Sparky would want and that will be when Sir Alex retires 2/3 years from now. He may well leverage the issue with the Board to extract an increase to his package - hence his agents will be making noises - but just cannot see him leaving here until the OT job comes up.

Which as some have mentioned is a poisoned chalice - how do you follow Alex Ferguson? If other articles are to be believed then Queroz is potentially being lined up for the job anyway.

Hope I am wrong but I think I have paid for my season ticket with this one! The only saving grace could be Manchini but he is known for boring defensive football.

Best price 5s on Betfair, BlueSq

The only club after Boyd is Weightwatchers.

Shocker. His first goal in the cup final was special.

What the boy has can't be taught. What he doesn't have can. I'd be happy to see him move to Rovers.

Why would they want Mancini?

He may have won the title 3 years in a row but the first one had no Juve, and Milan on deducted points. The second one had a Juve and Milan sides that who were rebuilding, and this season they had by far the best squad in the league and only scraped the title on the final day of the season.

They have also been poor in Europe.

Why do you think he has been replaced?

EDIT: and boring football

Sorry, but that's factually incorrect. First season Inter were handed the league because Juve and Milan cheated, last season Juve were down and Milan deducted points. However without the deduction Milan would not have had enough points to win the league (36 points behind Inter, 8 deducted). This season Inter were top from matchday 2, and had some poor results towards the end of the season to let Roma close in.

But I do agree the style of football has been pretty uninspiring, and Mancini's brand of football is not what Chelsea are supposedly after. By the way there's still no official statement from Inter or Mancini about the dismissal. Rumour has it the players wanted him out. It certainly isn't because of a lack of silverware. I have never heard of anyone being fired purely based on the style of football their teams play....

Neither Mancini or Hughes provide attractive attacking football. And therefore shouldn't be on Romans shortlist.

You're right about the compensation. I hardly call Sir Bobby Robson a chancer - he's currently battling with incurable cancer - but I get your point. I'm afraid I can't see further than us getting lumbered with Allardyce though - who have you in mind on a shortlist?

Didn't mean to slight Robson or Souness, just that whenever there is an open job their names are always there. They WERE both decent managers, I would like someone who IS a decent manager.

Looking back on what we have done once we got some money (you can't count the search for Don MacKay as cherry picking the best) the board/chairman/non-football person in charge has done a decent job of getting Rovers a quality signing. They have always looked for someone who'll give us an edge.

Dalglish - Inspired.

Harford - Not so, but we'd just won the league so I guess they thought that the combo minus the head would work.

Eriksson - It would have been good, he reneged not Rovers.

Hodgson - Hindsight is great, but he had a very good CV when we got him.

Kidd - Out of the box thought that backfired, maybe they should have read Ferguson's book beforehand.

Souness - Debated ad nauseam on here. Inspired then lost it.

Hughes - Did wonders keeping us up, and has us established as a top half team.

Who is out there today who ticks all the boxes? I don't know. Ince? Newell? Some foreigner?

It's got to be a Shearer and Newell job....surely!

But reverse the roles. Newell as manager, Shearer as his deputy.

If successful, Newcastle will surely come calling for Shearer; we'll still keep Newell as manager 'cos Shearer would never agree to go there as his #2!

There are not a lot of options open to Rovers looking at whats around.

We would need a manager that could bring a better or at least same work ethic as Hughes and co and it would probably have to be someone who could gel the back room team as I dont see the whole current backroom staff going to Chelsea should they come calling.

So who is the man and just who can fill the gap and take us further ?

Allardyce ? Stirling record at Bolton and performed miracles for them. Faltered big style at Newcastle but then again who hasnt over the years ? he could do a job at Ewood. Has the right ethics but I am not sure he can improve our footballing ethic. Like Hughes he can inspire the laziest of footballers and get the best out of them.

Ince ? Unproven and has he got the mentality for a very good Premiership outfit ? I am not too sure that he is the man for Rovers should Hughes vacate the Ewood hot seat.

Advocaat ? Having just won a european competition he clearly has a winning pedigree. At Rangers he proved he can also work wonders on a limited budget and find the odd bargain. He boasts a cracking cv and could be a favourite in the running. Could Rovers tempt him over from Russia ?

McClaren/Shearer/Newell/Berg ? No thanks and not yet.

Coleman ? For me a dark outsider. He could be the man to take Rovers forward. Our ex-player has had a bad experience at Fulham and more latterly in Spain. Has shown he has nouse by saving Coventry from the drop. With the right back up team and a good squad (far better than he had at Fulham) he could progress Rovers.

Sven ? I dont think Rovers can provide him with the fat wages he commands so for me its a non starter.

There are no current Premier League managers that can improve us that would be available. Out of the relegated three only Coppell could be considered. Of the three coming up, Tony Mowbray must be a potential prospect but would he leave the comfort zone of WBA for the Ewood hotseat?

Championship managers ? Coleman aside, there are non that would fit the bill.

Johnny Foreigner ? Ottmar Hitzfeld/Riikaard/Mourinho could all be potential replacements couldnt they ?

Who is out there today who ticks all the boxes? I don't know. Ince? Newell? Some foreigner?

Sorry to drag this up again, but Sam Allardyce ticks every single box except the 'style of football' one.

Bilic would be excellent, reminds me very much of how Hughes was when he was managing Wales...there's just something about the way he speaks that makes you know he's the real deal. However, he seems genuinely content with Croatia and will probably feel he can get a bigger job if he hangs on a while longer.

Got to be realistic folks. Yes, we are a very well run club but whoever takes over would have one of the smallest transfer budgets in the Premiership.

I have always said, we will only realise how good Hughes has been for us when he's gone.......

Got to be realistic folks. Yes, we are a very well run club but whoever takes over would have one of the smallest transfer budgets in the Premiership.

I have always said, we will only realise how good Hughes has been for us when he's gone.......

If he goes, and its not certain he would want to work for an interfering oligarc, my view is we should pull out all the stops to get Mourinho, he has worked with a small! budget before and I bet he would be up to it just to put one over the ruski

:rover:

If he goes, and its not certain he would want to work for an interfering oligarc, my view is we should pull out all the stops to get Mourinho, he has worked with a small! budget before and I bet he would be up to it just to put one over the ruski

:rover:

If that happened i would do a sex wee in my pants. Unfortunatley it will not.

Archived