BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

So what was done during Feb. or March ?

Opinion is that Hoilett was keen to sign new improved terms then.

By all accounts he has been offered very good terms - but still hasn't signed - even though the contract offer was made months ago. I'm no big fan of Kean's - but don't see how this is all being laid at his door. It is down to the club to sort out contracts - personally I wouldn't be surprised if Kean has been made a scape goat in this Hoilett contract "24 hour" fiasco - with somebody else constantly assuring him it is on the verge of being sorted.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else feel like we might just be better off torching everything Rovers and doing an insurance job? Wipe the slate clean and start again.

I can't even begin to express how thoroughy depressed i am with life as a Rover. I used to love browsing this place, but its become a minefield. A place where any thread i stumble accross inevitably sends me spiralling deeper into this Venky's induced Rovers coma of misery.

So, if reports were correct we were unwilling to put a £15m release clause in his contract, but then ask £18m for him. Seems like the release clause wasn't that far away from our extreme valuation, so why bother going through all this. We won't get anywhere close to £15m for him from a tribunal, so none of this made any sense.

I can understand not wanting release clauses in contracts as it could see us sell a player for less than market value, but £15m is a good sum for any player that we have, so it was idiotic to make a mess of this.

They will sell for about 8 million.

Yeah they'll sell for about that with a load of add on's goin on for ages and say it's a deal worth about 12 mill. And it will be asset number 3 very cleverley and expertely stripped !

They should have put the 15 mill buyout he asked for, nobody would have paid that in the summer and we would have had him for another year at least.

As it stands now we will lose him and gain maybe 6 mill tops for him in compensation, does that make good business sense? What kind of millionaire is so bad with simple maths, yet again more decisions that dont make sense.

I still rememeber the deadline day " And it's good news for Blackburn fans as Junior Hoilett as signed a new contract" pathetic stuff :angry:

Players take a risk running down their contract and eventually someone will get his fingers burnt. If the player is injured long term why should the club he is no longer contracted pay anything? A contract (with a buy out clause) that would have set him up for life with £10m + becomes a big fat zero. It happens...particularly to palyers that invite a reckless tackle or depend on pace for their potency.

My two penneth

I think Hoilett needs a reality check, this is the second time in 3 years he has stalled over a contract and thrown his weight around like he's made it.

He has only been a 1st team regular since the Liverpool game in January, his first really good performance for the club.

He has stood out in a poor team, thus probably inflating his reputation more than had he of broken into the team during the Hughes era.

His final decision making is still poor, for every goal against Norwich, there is as many shots that hit the corner flag.

For the club to sign him as a 13 year old and dedicate the time and effort to get him a work permit and give him his chance in football, it would be a cruel parting shot to leave on a free.

Why not sign an improved contract with assurances that he can leave if we get relegated or a bid of £15/20m+ comes in.

For me Hoilett should be with Rovers until the end of the year, even if he does leave on a free. £10m in January or c.£40m for relegation? No brainer.

So thats a good figure for his old fella to use. "BRFC value my lad at 18m so give us a 10m signing on fee plus wages commesurate with an 18m signing and he'll be with you mid May 12."

Nothing I can rem was more predictable than that Hoilett would not be so foolish as to sign a new deal with BRFC.... unless a massive massive cut of any possible transfer fee would go to him. So as long as BRFC won't go there he won't sign. I take no credit in predicting exactly this scenario at the end of last season.

Shame... Amazing talent and his loss will be another hammer blow and a reminder of our status to our meagre support base. Just think I bet he'd have stayed if we had been a massive club .... like Lanky Utd for example. ;)

Shame... Amazing talent and his loss will be another hammer blow and a reminder of our status to our meagre support base. Just think I bet he'd have stayed if we had been a massive club .... like Lanky Utd for example. ;)

Yawns all round. Who brought him back?

My two penneth

I think Hoilett needs a reality check, this is the second time in 3 years he has stalled over a contract and thrown his weight around like he's made it.

He has only been a 1st team regular since the Liverpool game in January, his first really good performance for the club.

He has stood out in a poor team, thus probably inflating his reputation more than had he of broken into the team during the Hughes era.

His final decision making is still poor, for every goal against Norwich, there is as many shots that hit the corner flag.

For the club to sign him as a 13 year old and dedicate the time and effort to get him a work permit and give him his chance in football, it would be a cruel parting shot to leave on a free.

Why not sign an improved contract with assurances that he can leave if we get relegated or a bid of £15/20m+ comes in.

For me Hoilett should be with Rovers until the end of the year, even if he does leave on a free. £10m in January or c.£40m for relegation? No brainer.

I do think that you are right that the wisest move for him would be to stay here for another year or two. He is guaranteed games, is comfortable and is in the shop window. If he moves somewhere like Spurs he could easily find himself being the next David Bentley and could be far worse off in three years time, but will have a handful of supporters from an old club asking themselves 'what if'. He wouldn't get near the Spurs first team at the moment.

On top of that I also think that most Rovers fans overrate his ability. He has pace and can take on his man, but is far from the finished product. His finishing is hardly lethal and his final ball is often wayward. Throw in poor decision making, a wicked selfish streak and an unwillingness to get back and you have a player with all of the tools, but who needs to fine tune them and learn how to use them properly.

Having said that, this all makes our own unwillingness to include a £15m release clause totally ludicrous. No club would have bid that for him for the next 18 months and football is such a short-term game that any contract that will look good for 18 months is a good one. Realistically we would have had to have offered him a new deal at that point anyway and could probably have bumped the clause up slightly at that point (as we did with Jones). Had he wanted a clause of £5-8m I would have understood, but no one would have bid higher and we probably would have sold him for £15m had United or any other big team come in and put in and offer of that size.

It is not Junior who is stalling neither is it an issue from the club!

What do you mean by this ?

I am of the opinion that surely his minimum release clause will be more than we would get for him going at the end of his contract - we should tr and put a minimum release clause that is just triggered and allows clubs to talk to him and then hopefully can have a bidding war thence forth....................

What I would like though is for him to stay at Rovers...........................

What I surmise is happening around Hoilett stinks to be honest.

But it would be the logical extension of having a club run by an agent in my opinion.

My attempt at a translation: Kean and/or Anderson want to create conditions under which a sale of Hoilett becomes a necessity?

On top of that I also think that most Rovers fans overrate his ability. He has pace and can take on his man, but is far from the finished product. His finishing is hardly lethal and his final ball is often wayward. Throw in poor decision making, a wicked selfish streak and an unwillingness to get back and you have a player with all of the tools, but who needs to fine tune them and learn how to use them properly.

Eddie you must not be able to tell much from streaming the matches but Hoilett has massive talents (no disrespect but most Rovers fans rate him cos they see him live) and talents which cannot be coached either, it is God given and God doesn't give out much of it. That isn't to say there is no room for improvement. The press are linking NUFC with him but I would be amazed if they even figure. I was the first to criticise his decision making, his concentration and his defending way back when Sam first played him but imo his decision making has significantly improved leaving just two weaknesses, his defending and his concentration the latter of which will improve naturally the more he plays Now a good manager would play to those strengths and set the team up accordingly. We see Rooney tackling back regularly and thats cos he can but examples of Ronaldo backtracking are much more rare. Does anyone criticise Messi for not making goaline clearences?

I haven't bought a ST this season but free tickets being offered mean that I have only missed two Prem matches to date. I've not felt an enourmous sense of loss either BUT the only thing which makes me question my decision and might make me reconsider my decision is the talent of Junior Hoilett. Make no bones about this we do not see his like very often and the last time was when Duggie hung his boots up for the last time. Sticking my neck out here but if he stays injury free and keeps a level head that comparison will not be far wide of the mark.

What I surmise is happening around Hoilett stinks to be honest.

But it would be the logical extension of having a club run by an agent in my opinion.

Another Rochina deal perhaps? One where middle men benefitted much more than the selling club? Shouldn't be at all suprised, a situation like this would be too good to miss for DelBoy and Rodders.... feel free to replace with Dick Dastardly and Muttley depending on your age. :angry2:

I think Hoilett needs a reality check

No, he doesnt. He seems well aware of the reality of the situation - that being that the ball is completely in his court and we need him far more than he needs us. He's a young talented guy at the beginning of a maximum 15 year career, during which he will be looking to earn as much money as he can, as would any of us.

Thats the reality, we need to bow to his demands and get him signed. We have no other choice.

Archived