BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

No, he doesnt. He seems well aware of the reality of the situation - that being that the ball is completely in his court and we need him far more than he needs us. He's a young talented guy at the beginning of a maximum 15 year career, during which he will be looking to earn as much money as he can, as would any of us.

Thats the reality, we need to bow to his demands and get him signed. We have no other choice.

If the dark mutterings of riverside returns are correct then we don't even have that choice.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the dark mutterings of riverside returns are correct then we don't even have that choice.

Atleast we can say we did all we could.

I'm not convinced the Venky's have done enough here - they need to realise that release clauses are common place at a club our size.

In the next window I expect him to go for the offer nearest £18m...the Raos will take the money

£18m?!

With 6 months of his contract remaining and the possibilty of a tribunal nominal fee looming, I'd be surprised if we got £5m for him.

• Backroom

In the next window I expect him to go for the offer nearest £18m...the Raos will take the money

Absolutely no chance of getting anything close to £18m i'm afraid. Any club that desperate to sign him (battling with relegation) won't have that kind of dosh to spend and any club that can wait til the summer to get him (everyone else) will just try to nab him on a pre-contract and gamble on the tribunal setting a low fee.

£18m?!

With 6 months of his contract remaining and the possibilty of a tribunal nominal fee looming, I'd be surprised if we got £5m for him.

Absolutely no chance of getting anything close to £18m i'm afraid. Any club that desperate to sign him (battling with relegation) won't have that kind of dosh to spend and any club that can wait til the summer to get him (everyone else) will just try to nab him on a pre-contract and gamble on the tribunal setting a low fee.

Agreed.

We would be lucky to get £5m for him in January if we were to sell him then. What's more likely is he will dig in his heels and stay at the club until the summer and it will go to a tribunal. From a financial standpoint that's what I would do if i was him.

I do think that you are right that the wisest move for him would be to stay here for another year or two. He is guaranteed games, is comfortable and is in the shop window. If he moves somewhere like Spurs he could easily find himself being the next David Bentley and could be far worse off in three years time, but will have a handful of supporters from an old club asking themselves 'what if'. He wouldn't get near the Spurs first team at the moment.

On top of that I also think that most Rovers fans overrate his ability. He has pace and can take on his man, but is far from the finished product. His finishing is hardly lethal and his final ball is often wayward. Throw in poor decision making, a wicked selfish streak and an unwillingness to get back and you have a player with all of the tools, but who needs to fine tune them and learn how to use them properly.

DOn't agree with this at all. Much better than Lennon in my opinion. Will be a Champions League regular in a couple of seasons.

DOn't agree with this at all. Much better than Lennon in my opinion. Will be a Champions League regular in a couple of seasons.

Completely agree with you there Mr. Nose, he will be at such a club next year.

We have to take a cold hard look at what has happened, Venkeys and their Egor have stated that they want to produce exciting football bu nurturing youngsters and play open expansive football. Lovely, good.

The truth is we are the punching bags of the league and yet we have produced two of the best players we have managed to produced in a long time, one is already gone, and could not stand Kean, and the other has not signed a contract despite platitudes spilling out of Keans mouth to the contrary.

Epic Fail.

I do think that you are right that the wisest move for him would be to stay here for another year or two. He is guaranteed games, is comfortable and is in the shop window. If he moves somewhere like Spurs he could easily find himself being the next David Bentley and could be far worse off in three years time, but will have a handful of supporters from an old club asking themselves 'what if'. He wouldn't get near the Spurs first team at the moment.

Interesting, because if you read some of the Spurs boards after the game last the other week, they would have him over Lennon in a heartbeat.

Another Rochina deal perhaps? One where middle men benefitted much more than the selling club? Shouldn't be at all suprised, a situation like this would be too good to miss for DelBoy and Rodders.... feel free to replace with Dick Dastardly and Muttley depending on your age. :angry2:

That sounds frighteningly plausible.

Wonder if such a revelation might convince a few more of the ostrich-like anti-protesters that all is not well?

Eddie you must not be able to tell much from streaming the matches but Hoilett has massive talents (no disrespect but most Rovers fans rate him cos they see him live) and talents which cannot be coached either, it is God given and God doesn't give out much of it. That isn't to say there is no room for improvement. The press are linking NUFC with him but I would be amazed if they even figure. I was the first to criticise his decision making, his concentration and his defending way back when Sam first played him but imo his decision making has significantly improved leaving just two weaknesses, his defending and his concentration the latter of which will improve naturally the more he plays Now a good manager would play to those strengths and set the team up accordingly. We see Rooney tackling back regularly and thats cos he can but examples of Ronaldo backtracking are much more rare. Does anyone criticise Messi for not making goaline clearences?

I haven't bought a ST this season but free tickets being offered mean that I have only missed two Prem matches to date. I've not felt an enourmous sense of loss either BUT the only thing which makes me question my decision and might make me reconsider my decision is the talent of Junior Hoilett. Make no bones about this we do not see his like very often and the last time was when Duggie hung his boots up for the last time. Sticking my neck out here but if he stays injury free and keeps a level head that comparison will not be far wide of the mark.

Good to see that you are attending matches on freebies, supporting the club with your wallet as usual. Us foreign fans simply can't compete!

I'm not talking about whether he makes goal-line clearances, that isn't what tracking back is about. He regularly leaves the fullback behind him exposed by not getting back to help out.

As for what I'm being critical of him for, well most of that is shown clearly on TV, so there's little advantage in that regard to being live at the match. Being at a game is mostly useful for seeing the position and general work ethic of players, particularly those who play centrally, but wingers are fairly easy to follow even from television. I'm also mostly talking about the work that he does when he is on the ball and that is always shown on TV. If my opinion differs from the majority of those at Ewood Park I'm not too bothered, for the most part Rovers fans have shown themselves to quickly make opinion on players and stick to them. Every season we have two irreplaceable stars and two scapegoats. This year Hoilett falls into the first category, but realistically his play is nowhere near the level of some of the other players that we have seen at Ewood Park since our return to the Premier League.

He is undoubtedly talented, but to think that he could command a fee of £15m within the next 18 months is ridiculous, that is unless there is a Liverpool-Carroll situation.

Lennon is what we are trying to make Hoilett into, only he is slightly faster. He also suffers from not having a great final delivery, but over the past couple of years he has learnt what to do and has become a very effective one-trick pony. Hoilett isn't there yet.

Let's not forget that a couple of seasons ago almost every Rovers fan scoffed at the idea of including Lennon in part-exchange for Bentley...look how that one worked out.

Hoilett may well develop into a better player, he certainly has more talent, but in order to do that he needs to be playing regularly. If he goes to Spurs in the summer he will be competing with several more experienced players, a couple of whom are close to his talent level and one or two who are possibly more talented than he is. He will struggle to get into the first team and he will certainly be on a short-leash performance wise.

Interesting, because if you read some of the Spurs boards after the game last the other week, they would have him over Lennon in a heartbeat.

That will be because Spurs fans will have seen the Hoilett goal, read a bit of praise, judged him from MOTD and decided that he is a world beater. They haven't watched the several games previous to that one where he did practically nothing.

If Hoilett continues to improve he'll no doubt be a major force for years to come, but let's not kid ourselves here, he's far from being the finished article.

His ball distribution is often poor

He loses the ball when he should be looking for a pass

He can't defend, doesn't track back.

His crossing is erratic

Sounds very much like Lennon in my book, but Lennon has had time toImprove and hasn't, junior maybe different who knows.

Bottom line is we should pull out all the stops to sign the lad, get it done Venkys'

That will be because Spurs fans will have seen the Hoilett goal, read a bit of praise, judged him from MOTD and decided that he is a world beater. They haven't watched the several games previous to that one where he did practically nothing.

The comments were made by Spurs fans who had been to Ewood for the match - prior to his goal at Norwich.

I think every team bar Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will show an interest. Arsenal might decide they have enough similar, young players already (Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Miyaichi), but otherwise he'd fit their system perfectly.

I think the front runners will be Liverpool (Comolli loves to sign the best young talent), Spurs (they're a bit short on the wings after Bale and Lennon) and Newcastle (still have Carroll's money burning a hole).

If some big German clubs show an interest he might end up going there. If he does that would be a disaster for us as we wouldn't get any compensation. That gives those clubs an advantage over the English clubs too, they can put 100% of the money toward Hoilett.

Wherever he's playing this time next year, it won't be at Rovers. We should have known something was wrong when Kean said about him "contrasting on his football" whilst giving everyone else new contracts.

If Hoilett continues to improve he'll no doubt be a major force for years to come, but let's not kid ourselves here, he's far from being the finished article.

His ball distribution is often poor

He loses the ball when he should be looking for a pass

He can't defend, doesn't track back.

His crossing is erratic

Sounds very much like Lennon in my book, but Lennon has had time toImprove and hasn't, junior maybe different who knows.

Bottom line is we should pull out all the stops to sign the lad, get it done Venkys'

What makes Hoilett different is his incredible close ball control. Lennon does not have that, Walcott does not have that. Sure Hoilett can beat people for pace, but he is also incredibly good at beating players on the turn, even from standing, as he does over and over again on the left side of the box.

He is basically unplayable for a full back as he can out run you, turn inside you, turn outside you. He is quite happy to go to the by line and pull back, or drive inside and shoot, or trace the edge of the box and shoot from distance - something he showed with devastating effect against Norwich. He is also very strong for a small guy and very hard to knock off the ball.

Fair enough some of his passing is poor and his crossing is average but that is improving. But the fundamental issue is he can severely hurt teams on his own. Outside of the very best squads you would have to be absolutely nuts to not want him in your squad. Spurs and Liverpool will certainly have a look. I think the CL clubs might have a gander as well.

Blackburn Rovers boss Kean eager to sort Junior Hoilett deal

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/15580095.stm

FFS Kean,

maybe the deal has gone backwards because thats exactly what has happened to the club since you and your Indian piece has been running the show, in the mean time maybe Junior has learned how to run the clock down a damn sight better than you can,

why don't you clear off NOW

What makes Hoilett different is his incredible close ball control. Lennon does not have that, Walcott does not have that. Sure Hoilett can beat people for pace, but he is also incredibly good at beating players on the turn, even from standing, as he does over and over again on the left side of the box.

He is basically unplayable for a full back as he can out run you, turn inside you, turn outside you. He is quite happy to go to the by line and pull back, or drive inside and shoot, or trace the edge of the box and shoot from distance - something he showed with devastating effect against Norwich. He is also very strong for a small guy and very hard to knock off the ball.

Fair enough some of his passing is poor and his crossing is average but that is improving. But the fundamental issue is he can severely hurt teams on his own. Outside of the very best squads you would have to be absolutely nuts to not want him in your squad. Spurs and Liverpool will certainly have a look. I think the CL clubs might have a gander as well.

For me Hoilett is the nearest thing to Messi - in terms of his general play, balance and pace. Obviously he isn't up to his level yet - but has all the ingredients to make a top talent - and I hope he decides to play for England. You mention his passing - at times it is wayward - but he can also pick a pass (e.g. the one to the Yak where he scored against Spuds), and at times our forwards aren't always good enough to make the necessary runs.

Personally - I think he will be best staying at Rovers - if he continues to progress it will be the Man City's and Chelsea's that will be after him - and not the Newcastle's. He can be better than Duff - I just hope he stays long enough at Rovers for us to enjoy his skills before he moves onto bigger things.

Archived