BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] N'zonzi Deal Agreed

No no, I'm all for giving him a chance. It's just a bit conceited that Nzonzi won't be judged because he came from a crap club but Andrews was judged and even booed for it. You're making the point I was making, pretty much. :)

EDIT: Anyways this thread isn't about Keef, sorry about that.

Hope we see him in pre-season.

Fair point mate.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Samba was struggling to get into Hertha Berlins C team! Surely Ameins are better than that and ironically played in the same division as N'Zonzi back in 2003, although N'Zonzi wasn't around then.

INVENTING FACTS ALERT!!!

Samba was not struggling to get into Hertha Berlin's C team. He had been impressive for the B side and got called up to the senior side, where he was used as a versatile substitute, playing DM in a Mokoena-esque spoiler role.

Hertha had two international CBs who were given preference and which is why Samba was overlooked for starting duty - erroneously, it seems now.

There are plenty of good players in the French second division as relegated sides get raided far less and many more players are developed at a lower level and then move up. Having said that, Nzonzi was hardly a key figure in the Amiens side, so looking at either their level or their performance is a bit irrelevant.

My contacts in France, tell me that the boy only broke through into the first team this year and has pushed on extremely well from being a substitute to cementing a place in the team, so he must have something about him, especially coming into a poor struggling side!!

My contacts in France, tell me that the boy only broke through into the first team this year and has pushed on extremely well from being a substitute to cementing a place in the team, so he must have something about him, especially coming into a poor struggling side!!

And he's a really cute young lad, looking at his interview on the official site.

:lol: lets hope this guy ain't thrown in at the deep end,look how andrews was slaughtered because he came from the lower leagues ;) btw were are my icons B)

Yes----------we should definately have given Andrews a few years to learn his craft!

Andrews got his chance with Wolves when he was younger and wasn't good enough, he is 28 and unlikely to improve - hence why people were against the

N'Zonzi is young and hasn't already failed at a higher level (like Andrews). There is no comparison.

This is a thread about the new signing not Andrews so it would be wrong to take it off course but to say that Andrews has failed is an absolute joke. He proved to be a capable performer last season and whilst I wouldn't ideally want him to be a regular starter he is a very steady back-up to have. If N'Zonzi has a similar debut season to Andrews I would be very happy...

This is a thread about the new signing not Andrews so it would be wrong to take it off course but to say that Andrews has failed is an absolute joke. He proved to be a capable performer last season and whilst I wouldn't ideally want him to be a regular starter he is a very steady back-up to have. If N'Zonzi has a similar debut season to Andrews I would be very happy...

Andrews was not bought to be a regular starter but to be a back-up player and was only moved into the team because Reid, Dunn and Grella couldn't stay fit. I personally believed Andrews did well in his debut season - staying fit throughout, scoring 4 goals and constantly giving his all for the team. Andrews also played at right back towards the end of last season, and although I was not totally convinced, he still provided cover in an area were Rovers struggled.

I completely agree with JamieUK and believe Andrews is a steady back up and that it is ludicrous to say he has failed. Why would Allardyce regularly play him if he believed he was useless?

A read of this topic title might be in order for some... <_<

I believed it was appropiate to mention my opinions on Andrews, after all, I don't believe he has failed, and alike JamieUK, I will be reasonably pleased if N'Zonzi has a similar debut season to Andrews.

Samba was struggling to get into Hertha Berlins C team! Surely Ameins are better than that and ironically played in the same division as N'Zonzi back in 2003, although N'Zonzi wasn't around then.

I think the case with Samba at Hertha was, there was two experienced guys in the team well liked and popular with Samba being the young 'back up kid' who was always on the bench thus he decided to leave and try pastures new- lucky us.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that an Amiens player is possible joining Aberdeen (Johnson?). Same agent as Nzonzi? If yes, the guy's doing well for his clients.

I have a feeling that Nzonzi will become a first teamer pretty soon. Our midfield isn't great and if he can do a solid job as a holding player, he's got a chance, being one fo the few athletic players we have.

• Backroom

I think the amount he has featured so far indicates Sam may seem him as a first team option, I haven't seen enough of him myself yet to judge properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Steven has impressed Big Sam

"I think Steven has probably shown us enough already to know what we are capable of getting out of him and, as time goes by, it's all about building on those strengths."

"He's a talented player, and people will obviously pick out his strength in the air and consider that's all he is, but he's much, much more than that."

"As time goes by, I think we will see him develop into a complete rounded midfield player."

"However, we don't want to really play him yet if we can help it, because he isn't really quite ready. I wouldn't want to put him in and have him struggle and destroy his confidence."

"If we have to, we have to. But if we don't, he is still making exceptionally good progress, so we are very pleased about that."

"He's a young man who's eager to do well, which is nice of course."

I had a look at an Amiens SC forum for their views on Nzonzi. From what I could gather, they were not convinced by him. They certainly do not think of him as a potential star. Some think it was a good deal to let him go, whilst others thought that he might develop into a useful player. (Although, they had to sell cos relegation had afflicted them).

And the Vieira comparisons were, naturally, being laughed at.

He's clearly a player that Allardyce needs to work with. As I have said before, I think that DM is the easiest position on the football pitch (relatively speaking!). Nzonzi has physicality and a improvement in passing and he'll do a job. Which is enough and better than Mokoena will be doing for Pompey.

So if Sam does not want to play him? Who the hell is going to play in centre mid against City??? Andrews and...Warnock?

Like he said - in an ideal world he wont have to play yet, he wouldnt want him to come against a top midfield and it wreck his confidence, however if we are short then he will have to 'but NZonzi will take it all in his stride'.

I believe he will go on to be a quality player for us - he has all the attributes to be a success in England and he has some things that will help him (being tall and good in the air). He also likes to get get stuck in and his passing is quite good too - if he continues to work hard, then I will be very suprised if people still think he is average in 18 months time.

Like he said - in an ideal world he wont have to play yet, he wouldnt want him to come against a top midfield and it wreck his confidence, however if we are short then he will have to 'but NZonzi will take it all in his stride'.

I believe he will go on to be a quality player for us - he has all the attributes to be a success in England and he has some things that will help him (being tall and good in the air). He also likes to get get stuck in and his passing is quite good too - if he continues to work hard, then I will be very suprised if people still think he is average in 18 months time.

Yep. There is definately an echo of Samba in there. He is a decen player and an outstanding athlete. I can see NZonzi being a big asset going forward. Probably will play on Saturday due to injuries. At least as a substitute.

It's early, but Allardyce could have pulled a blinder here. N'Zonzi was very impressive against City - he looked very athletic and comfortable on the ball. For his debut in the Premier League it would be tough to ask for much more.

Definitely. Did a steady job in midfield and put himself about.

Archived