BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Morten Gamst Pedersen- Time To Get Rid

Irrational and illogical points sidders. I feel that your personal dislike of EHD is colouring your judgement. He's as slow as Beckham granted but his 1st touch is good (are you mixing him up with Roberts?) he provides a good out for the team as he rarely loses possession cheaply imo.

As for Emerton he's better at full back or midfield than he is on the wing.

Just like Pedersen Diouf is far too ineffective in far too many games...we are carrying both of them in this side.

P.S.

Theno,can you also perform Spock's split-finger "Live long and prosper" salute?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been quite patient with MGP but now it has gone on too long and he has to go. He is useless. He can't run, pass, shoot or tackle and his throws do nothing for us as we have no other tactics when he's on other than just lobbing it aimlessly up to the edge of the box. Yesterday was the worst half of football I've seen in years and MGP and his equally useless mate on the other side need to go now.

He has been here almost 5 years now and I would say that he has been poor for the second half of that time apart from a few decent games here and there.

Great second half though.

Smoss I bet you moan and whinge like mad when our best players leave and when they show such little loyalty when other clubs come in for them? Yet you want the club to summarily ditch Pederson without a second thought even though 3 years ago he displayed a certain amount of loyalty when Spurs allegedly came a courting. You are a hard taskmaster.

That's a bet you'd lose.

It's not a matter of loyalty. Nowadays loyalty is mostly between fans and a club. Most players are not playing out of loyalty, but for a contract.

Pedersen has a contract. I am certain the club will honor the contract. The contract is due to expire. The club has no legal, moral or ethical obligation to extend the contract.

The club could try to sell Pedersen in January. If the deal is not beneficial to him, then he can decline the deal. He'd still If it is beneficial to him, such as having a job over the next few years, he'll sign.

If Pedersen wants to be seen as "loyal", he'd give back his paycheck and ask for assistance getting his badges or something similar. He certainly hasn't been earning his check recently. He won't, of course, because what he's loyal to is the check, not the club.

It's not a matter of loyalty. Nowadays loyalty is mostly between fans and a club. Most players are not playing out of loyalty, but for a contract.

That part of the post, I for one agree. Maybe exchange the word "mostly" with "only", and in my humble opinion anyone who thinks otherwise is not of this planet.

No-one going to sign Ped's in January especially not with him playing the way he is. So he'll probably leave on a free as I just can't see him hanging around. Its a serious catch 22 situation, playing like pants, going out of contract and we have less money than a big issue seller.

I would have thought that getting a new contract/club would have spurred him on alas its done the opposite and he's getting worse. We need to protect our investment so perhaps we should try and sell him in Jan so we get something. But what sort of 1st 11 left winger will we get with our budget and the measly fee we would recieve?

No-one going to sign Ped's in January especially not with him playing the way he is. So he'll probably leave on a free as I just can't see him hanging around. Its a serious catch 22 situation, playing like pants, going out of contract and we have less money than a big issue seller.

I would have thought that getting a new contract/club would have spurred him on alas its done the opposite and he's getting worse. We need to protect our investment so perhaps we should try and sell him in Jan so we get something. But what sort of 1st 11 left winger will we get with our budget and the measly fee we would recieve?

Make up your mind Maj! ;)

I'm pretty sure that a lower half club will go for Gamst if we offer him around in January. Finding a replacement won't be easy but it'd be better to get say £1-2 million for him than nothing.

Surely on current form Olsson can't be any worse than MGP, if we could sell him in Jan for a couple of mill and our position is looking safe then we could wait, see how Olsson adapts and then decide in the summer giving more time for the scouting of a replacement.

Then again could Doran fill one of the wide positions, I've only seen him live a couple of times, so I'm not sure if he has enough to operate week in week out in the Prem.

The moment that summed up Pedersen's display on Saturday was when Dunn crossed to the near post and Pedersen tried to flick it on. He managed to get his full head on the ball and thump it clear - a centre-half would have been proud of that clearance (Just a shame he headed it totally the wrong direction).

I don't think that's ever been a part of his game though. We all know that Peds has the ability to put in a good ball or strike it with real venom and accuracy but for a long time that part of his game has disappeared.

Having said that I'd still rather play Pedersen on the left than Hoilett. Hoilett offers pace - but that's all he offers. If people think that playing Hoilett will see the strikers getting great service then think again. He's best used off the bench when we're desperate for a burst of energy.

Pedersen at the moment offers absolutely nothing, and Saturday's 'performance' from him one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen at Ewood. Givet and Dunny actually covered more ground on the left wing than Pedersen - how bad is that when Peds is supposed to be the left winger?? At least if Hoilett can offer only pace, it's one more thing than MGP gives us at the moment.

First player out of the door come January.

Peds used to have a dangerous set-piece on him and invaluable late runs into the box. Without those strengths he's become a passenger, who we've given enough chances to recapture that form. Take what we can in January.

Make up your mind Maj! ;)

I'm pretty sure that a lower half club will go for Gamst if we offer him around in January. Finding a replacement won't be easy but it'd be better to get say £1-2 million for him than nothing.

Note to self.

Drink coffee before posting.

I'm just worried about what we will end up with instead. It would appear the bargains are in short supply and 1-2 million buys nothing these days.

Iceman unfortunately it would appear that Eliro wants out or so his agent was saying when he was commenting on Benni.

Its time for Gamst to go, I have never rated him as a footballer but the one thing he did in his early days here was score goals, and good goals at that. Take that away and what do you have? Someone who cant beat a man, keep the ball, has no pace and cant even take corners! Its time to let him go for whatever fee we can get. Im personally hoping that we go with a 4-3-3 formation with Benni roaming as we ended up on Saturday. We may lose a few playing that way but at least we will go down giving it a go rather how we lose playing the one up front.

I have always liked Pedersen and I think he has lots of qualities.But I have to say that it is time to show him the door.Unlike a lot of posters I think he will have a long list of suitors.He has shown he doesnt want to be here and play for Sam so I think he should move on.A club will get a good player if his mind is right. The only question is do we have a replacement? I`ve not seen Van Heerden so cant comment.

I have always liked Pedersen and I think he has lots of qualities.But I have to say that it is time to show him the door.Unlike a lot of posters I think he will have a long list of suitors.He has shown he doesnt want to be here and play for Sam so I think he should move on.A club will get a good player if his mind is right. The only question is do we have a replacement? I`ve not seen Van Heerden so cant comment.

I agree - I think we will easily find a mid-lower EPL club to pick him up. Even if we had the money - I struggle to think of a decent left winger we could afford.

MGP is a funny player - who I actually think contributes far more than people give him credit for. As a team we generally (last weekend was an exception) look better with him in - though I can never quiet put my finger on what he contributes. What is obvious is that we have a general lack of pace throughout the side - making MGP's one-dimensional pace more obvious. I would also say that he was unlucky to follow one of the best left wingers to ever appear at Rovers - and comparisons are unfair - as I think MGP is more of a left sided midfield player rather than an out and out winger.

Though I know money talks - I find it very worrying that so many players only have six months left on their contract or are openly saying they want to move on. Though not as out-spoken as the Ince era - does make you wonder whether all isn't well under Sam.

It may be that some players have realized that they don't fit well within Sam's long range plans for the Rovers. That might cause some discontent, understandably so. On the other hand, the sooner they leave the club, the sooner Sam can replace some of the discontented players with those who are selected by Sam to fill specific roles. I suspect that Sam has more than a few irons in the fire and will be able to fill gaps in January, if need requires.

Even if EHD, MGP, Benny, Roberts and Dunn (per rumor on another thread) all go, I think Sam would not have too much difficulty replacing them. They're on high enough wages (assuming that some posters on this board know what they're talking about) that they should be replaceable, even if transfer fees have to be paid.

What would concern me is that replacements would likely have to come from abroad or from the lower divisions to be cost effective. That means they may require time to become EPL "fit". Kalinic is a good example of the time it can take (though I think he is progressing nicely). It could be a problem if they all go at once, unless Rovers rack up quite the point total between now and January.

I'm just worried about what we will end up with instead. It would appear the bargains are in short supply and 1-2 million buys nothing these days.

How abouts we shift him for say £2m, dont sign a replacement until Summer, however offer the cash to Adam Johnson to sign up to us - a signing on fee, or better wages (whichever) - until the summer - we could use Diouf, El Rio, McCarthy or Hoilett out left!

I don't think reasonable transfer fees will be an insurmontable hurdle. Isn't Kalinic's fee being paid in installments? If that is typical, its not necessary to pay cash up front. And even if it were, financing may be cost effective.

Assuming Pedersen is 50k a week (for the sake of a nice round number, if nothing else), and assuming a replacement is 30k a week, the difference of 20k/week would finance over a million a year for a transfer fee. Assuming a 4 year contract, we could pay/finance a 4 million transfer fee with the savings. The question is what does 30k a week buy in the market. I would assume that would be an attractive salary for a player from the Championship, but I have no idea how that compares to European or African players.

The same exercise would hold true of Benni and any other high wage player looking to move on. The payment of a transfer fee would be even easier in the case of a Benni, in that he's likely to bring money in if sold.

How abouts we shift him for say £2m, dont sign a replacement until Summer, however offer the cash to Adam Johnson to sign up to us - a signing on fee, or better wages (whichever) - until the summer - we could use Diouf, El Rio, McCarthy or Hoilett out left!

I'd love Johnson but there are some seriously big clubs looking at the boy again. I was on about the boy in the summer and I still rate him but unfortunatly I think he'll end up somewhere else. But if Sam can pull off a coup like that, I'll be smiling like a cheshire cat.

We do need to try something else out left though and out of what we have I'd probably try Diouf left and Hoillet right.

Can we IE an english club talk to him in january?

I don't think reasonable transfer fees will be an insurmontable hurdle. Isn't Kalinic's fee being paid in installments? If that is typical, its not necessary to pay cash up front. And even if it were, financing may be cost effective.

Assuming Pedersen is 50k a week (for the sake of a nice round number, if nothing else), and assuming a replacement is 30k a week, the difference of 20k/week would finance over a million a year for a transfer fee. Assuming a 4 year contract, we could pay/finance a 4 million transfer fee with the savings. The question is what does 30k a week buy in the market. I would assume that would be an attractive salary for a player from the Championship, but I have no idea how that compares to European or African players.

The same exercise would hold true of Benni and any other high wage player looking to move on. The payment of a transfer fee would be even easier in the case of a Benni, in that he's likely to bring money in if sold.

30K is still a lot of money and a lot of europeans won't be on that much, so we would still be competitive. One part that hasn't been factored in though is that the club want to reduce the wage bill by 5 million per annum.

I'd like to see us trawl through Eastern Europe a bit since they've got some good players coming through and will be affordable. Hopefully the Ibricic Link is solid as I remember saying when I saw the Kalinic highlights I thought he was a good player and left footed.

At the end of the day your right we are going to have to be creative with our dollar this summer.

Archived