BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Groundhog January - Rovers V Villa

jonv

Can't say I'm surprised by the result. We were giving some of squad players a chance to play a game and allow players like Dunn and Reid to get their fitness up. Sam was obviously looking towards the semi-final on Tuesday. It was good to see Kalinic getting on the score sheet which should be good for his confidence. Had Dunn scored his penalty we could well have seen a different result. How did Steven Reid play? Good to see him getting 90 minutes under his belt. I was also surprised to see Rigters on the bench and getting a game, as well as Zurab. Maybe it was to put them in the shop window. The downside to this result could be that Aston Villa go into the game on Tuesday confident that they can beat us.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted 'no' on the Allardyce poll so I'm not thrilled with the direction we're going in myself, but I don't think this game is anything to get majorly concerned about.

We can't compete on three fronts. If you think we can, you're underestimating the impact the extra games would have on our thin team. I think there is a general overestimation of both the prestiege of the FA cup and the benefits of staying in the competition. It would only really benefit us if we got to the semis, which I just don't see happening. Our focus has to be premiership survival and if we can get to the final of the Carling Cup then fantastic. It sounds like we gave it a go today with a radically changed team, and were playing a good Villa team away from home with ten men for much of the game.

Bring on tuesday, it's a shame we didn't progress today but it was not a game I expected us to win. As somebody said earlier in the thread, maybe next year. We're not equipped to do the job this year.

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I agree we're not able to compete on many fronts to the same degree as the likes of spurs or the big 4. But I think we can give it a go, and that winning breeds confidence and lessens fatigue - there are advantages to good cup runs too as I've said before.

Regardless a fair few players will be fresh for Tuesday even with our thin squad.

My main gripe is thinking I'd want to sign some stupid petition!

• Backroom

Think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I agree we're not able to compete on many fronts to the same degree as the likes of spurs or the big 4. But I think we can give it a go, and that winning breeds confidence and lessens fatigue - there are advantages to good cup runs too as I've said before.

Regardless a fair few players will be fresh for Tuesday even with our thin squad.

My main gripe is thinking I'd want to sign some stupid petition!

Accept my apologies, was said in jest ;)

The loss today has no bearing on what might happen on Tuesday, it will be two totally different teams.

You have to laugh at Diouf. Capable of being a heron one day, the next he is just a sorry tosser of a mega over paid footballer. You either loathe him or love him.

For me he epitomises just how incompetent some footballers are at dealing with responsibility.

My own view is that he should be shunted out of the club because he is a real liability when his form is off. There is little doubt he possesses skill and is capable of good things but his "badness" far outweighs his "goodness" to Rovers.

Now I neither listened or watched any stream of todays game, I simply had no interest in it whatsoever. Maybe its the realisation of the Villa threesome coming home to roost or maybe I am just plain old bored stupid with Rovers and the lack of positive effort in the past 5 weeks.

I am looking forward to Tuesday however but qas it stands and unless Sam pulls out his thumb from his ar$e, I cannot se how Rovers are going to move forward with some of this current crop of playing staff at the club.

We're playing a reserve team here, people seriously expect us to beat such a strong Villa team? :lol:

It's all about the CC.

I hope certain people come back and read their posts after the game because they are cringe worthy.

Sam has played a competitive side, considering we have a Carling Cup Semi Final on Tuesday- that takes priority not a FA Cup 3rd round match.

For the people questioning Sam's integrity, have a look at the sides played by Arsenal, Spurs and co today which are similar to Sams.

Spot on the two posts above

10 games without a win means new manager time.

If my auntie was my uncle i'd be a claret.....

If you was a proper fan you surely wouldnt want a new manager just now......unless you want to harm the club - maybe you are a claret!?!

It's also funny (strange) how no wins in thirteen for Ince mean people want to string him up in front of the Town Hall, no wins in ten for Sam and it just doesn't seem to register or matter!

Its also funny how we are not bottom of the league - not just lost 7 in a row - not just been hammered 3-0 to wigan......

It's also funny (strange) how no wins in thirteen for Ince mean people want to string him up in front of the Town Hall, no wins in ten for Sam and it just doesn't seem to register or matter!

Dont worry Rev, the queue is getting bigger and bigger with every defeat. Lose to City and the semi final, our complacent board wont know whats hit them when the fans vent their anger.

Theres time yet for the manager to redeeem himself.

If you was a proper fan you surely wouldnt want a new manager just now......unless you want to harm the club - maybe you are a claret!?!

The only way it would harm the club would be financially, i.e. having to make a big pay-off.

On the footballing front, it would not be difficult to improve on the one-dimensional dirge we get served up every week at present. Kudos to Allardyce for keeping us up last season, but he's done nothing this season other than consistently prove he is not the man to take us further forward.

The only way it would harm the club would be financially, i.e. having to make a big pay-off.

On the footballing front, it would not be difficult to improve on the one-dimensional dirge we get served up every week at present. Kudos to Allardyce for keeping us up last season, but he's done nothing this season other than consistently prove he is not the man to take us further forward.

Last season 20th - currently 13th

League cup last season out - Currently semi final

I disagree 100% - if we fired him, I think we can kiss goodbye to premier league football within 18months at the most. He is the man to stabilise us and take us forward - eventually we will need someone else to move us further forward, but he is the man to take us to a safe 8th-10th position

He spat at Abbey. :lol:

I wish he would!!

I disagree 100% - if we fired him, I think we can kiss goodbye to premier league football within 18months at the most.

Based on what? From what I've seen this season, I think with Sam in charge we might be kissing Premier League Football goodbye in about 5 months!

I know you are one of his staunchest defenders ( I think you might be related ;) ) but we are in deep trouble unless we bring some creativity to the side - quickly. That is something that should have been addressed in summer but the manager failed to do it, instead signing several right backs. For me this January window could make or break Sam's Rovers career ....

Based on what? From what I've seen this season, I think with Sam in charge we might be kissing Premier League Football goodbye in about 5 months!

I know you are one of his staunchest defenders ( I think you might be related ;) ) but we are in deep trouble unless we bring some creativity to the side - quickly. That is something that should have been addressed in summer but the manager failed to do it, instead signing several right backs. For me this January window could make or break Sam's Rovers career ....

Im willing to bet £1,000 with you that we will stay up......money where your mouth is?!

Im not 'his staunchest defenders' - im just not someone that changes week in, week out based on 1 performance. If you cant see that we are better equiped now, than we were then we were bottom with Ince in charge then I give up!

As for a creative player - we have been lacking it for about 3 years now - was you calling for Hughes to go too??

If you take a step back you have to say that we are 13th and to be honest that we have been unlucky losing quite a few games. THere is no real basis for saying that we look like we will be relegated at present. You need us to lose more games to back your position.

We will need to slide into the relegation positions for Allardyce to come under pressure of the sack. However that is possible over the next two games. JW would act, if financially viable, if we go adrift by a few points. A fair way to go yet.

Only thing that would force his hand earlier, imo, is if Sam loses the dressing room which I doubt will happen.

Personally think it would be better for us all if Sam turned it around, so I will give him my full support. I might feel differently if anyone can point to a manager we can afford who could do better but I cannot think of a single name.

I've heard this a few times, where did this come from? I may be wrong but...

Either you mean premier league ONLY and that is EIGHT without a win, OR

including Cups and it is SEVEN without a win. :wacko:

• Backroom

Im willing to bet £1,000 with you that we will stay up......money where your mouth is?!

Im not 'his staunchest defenders' - im just not someone that changes week in, week out based on 1 performance. If you cant see that we are better equiped now, than we were then we were bottom with Ince in charge then I give up!

As for a creative player - we have been lacking it for about 3 years now - was you calling for Hughes to go too??

Come on Hughesy you are one of his staunchest defenders, you'd see positives in a 10-0 loss it seems.

I'd say we are better off than last season for sure but with hindsight Sam may have been best left as a short term appointment. As it stands now I'd stick with him but given the chance I'd take Coyle in an instant.

I think we'll stay up this season but I think most would have kept us afloat this season including possibly Ince due to the poor standard of the league. This is not at all diminishing his work last season as his impact was superb.

For a fan this season bar one or two games has been dreadful viewing and we have become what many said we would.

One thing is for sure, the board have to back him to the fullest extent or make a change in summer.

but wasnt it 10 straight losses for ince? where as with sam we have drawn alot

It was no win in 11 league games under Ince (drawing 3, losing 8), with six straight league defeats.

I've heard this a few times, where did this come from? I may be wrong but...

Either you mean premier league ONLY and that is EIGHT without a win, OR

including Cups and it is SEVEN without a win. :wacko:

It depends on how you look at it, it can be viewed as 7 games without a win because we did eventually beat Chelsea on penalties, but 10 games without a win because we didn't actually beat them in normal or extra time.

It was no win in 11 league games under Ince (drawing 3, losing 8), with six straight league defeats.

It depends on how you look at it, it can be viewed as 7 games without a win because we did eventually beat Chelsea on penalties, but 10 games without a win because we didn't actually beat them in normal or extra time.

Was about to post the same.

Ten without a win because technically we drew against Chelsea.

If one is being really pedantic as well we haven't won an away game under Sam since the 11th of March last year at Fulham. McDonald was in charge at Bolton.

Edit: In the Premier League that is.

Just got back now. Oh dear god, not sure where to start!

# Maceo Rigters!!!!! The lad who is so good that up until the Sunderland programme he didn't have a squad number and got rejected by Southend! It certainly confused us when we saw the number 30 anyroad. Hopefully he ain't Sam's idea of Benni's replacement

#

3-4-2 we are playing now.

3 at the back is not really how it was and gives the impression we decided to attack. Wrong. When Zurab come on for the most part we had a flat back 5 of Chimbonda, Jones, Zurab, Givet and Ollson.

# David Dunn terrible penalty. Guzan was already on his way down and was only 2-3 yards from the centre.

# Diouf = pr!ck

# Tactics. Who bloody knows?!

I appreciate that the FA Cup probably isn't our priority but whichever team we put out we should at least be competing. For a good while it was like an Aston Villa training session - attack against defence. I think those who only arrived at 3:30 got the best part of the deal

We can only hope that Tuesday is going to be better!

Archived